As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON]SPACE MARINE OUT NOW! Co-op news/steam group in OP.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    The melta is amazing in Exterminatus because it's a giant cone stun effect on really 'Ard targets.

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    Got in a few rounds of Exterminatus last night. Not bad, a little light but with an effective group it could make for some solid gaming.

hmm.gif
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Chaos Exterminatus mode, CTF, more multiplayer maps announced! And more skins for those that are into those sort of things.
    THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced details of the first downloadable content pack for Warhammer® 40,000®: Space Marine® scheduled to release for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Playstation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC in December.

The premium add-on pack, which has a suggested cost of 800 Microsoft Points / $9.99, will include a new Exterminatus mode called Chaos Unleashed. In this update to the popular co-op mode players will take on the role of Chaos Space Marine as they take the fight to both the Ork horde and Imperial Guard forces. With brand new boss rounds, new co-op arenas and new enemy units like the Imperial Sanctioned Psyker this mode is a must-have for players looking for a new challenge.

As well as the Chaos Unleashed Mode, the Space Marine add-on pack also includes three new multiplayer maps Habs Ablaze, Station Tertius and Aquila Canyon which can be played in all multiplayer game modes. The pack will also include ten new achievements and trophies.

In addition to the premium add-on content all players of Space Marine will receive a new multiplayer Capture the Flag Mode for free. Playable on all the game’s multiplayer maps, this team based mode challenges players to defend their flag while attempting the capture their opponent’s.

Jim Huntley, Vice President of Global Brand Management commented,

“Space Marine offers a robust multiplayer experience out of the box but the addition of new maps, modes and challenges should keep the community playing for months to come.”

Alongside this add-on content THQ will be releasing a number of new player skins for sale on the Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network, Playstation® Network and STEAM. Players will be able to purchase unique Salamanders, Alpha Legion, Legion of the Damned and Blood Angel skin packs for a suggested price of 240 Microsoft Points / $2.99 each.

The Space Marine add-on pack is scheduled to be available to purchase on Xbox 360, Playstation®3 and Windows PC in December.

I think the CTF could be great, hopefully get a bit more team-focused play even in public games. I find people are much more interested in capturing a point to gain their personal exps than defending one in seize ground.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Eh, don't think I'll be picking up the pack myself. The map selection is anemic enough that I would have hoped the first map pack would be free. Additionally, the fact that it costs money will fracture the playerbase, which is not exactly robust to begin with.

Chaos Unleashed sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I really want to pay to be able to play my Chaos marines in co-op.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote:
    Eh, don't think I'll be picking up the pack myself. The map selection is anemic enough that I would have hoped the first map pack would be free. Additionally, the fact that it costs money will fracture the playerbase, which is not exactly robust to begin with.

Chaos Unleashed sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I really want to pay to be able to play my Chaos marines in co-op.

Seriously, what the eff? The game's multiplayer is already on such shaky ground, I can't believe they're going to split the playerbase with this stuff so soon.

Eh, whatever. I'm pretty well over being emotionally invested in this game. Buggy, laggy PvP wasn't fun for very long, and Exterminatus feels similarly dodgy and half-finished to me to be honest. I'm sure I'll drop in for a few minutes now and then in the future, but it's just not good enough to make me want to come back to it regularly.

• Options
    dfloss77dfloss77 Registered User regular
    I'll be coming back because I'm a wh40k whore with no self respect.

On that note, I finally beat Exterminatus tonight. The key is to find at least one other Assault marine with Killing Blow on his hammer, it makes it laughably easy, which made me a bit sad as I know I played with 20 times more skill as a plasma cannon devastator and was never able to even put a dent in the bonus wave.

I also had to get from 6 kills with the hammer in versus to 50 kills, the experience was horrible lol, but I have to say playing a Plasma Cannon Devastator in versus is hilariously fun.

TLDR: If you make a wh40k game you can have my money no matter what.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It'd be easier to get an assault marine with killing blow if you could do weapon unlocks in exterminatus. I haven't gotten to try it yet, how many enemies do you kill in an average game that makes it so infeasible?

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    It takes them how long to release new maps even though the game shipped with a whopping THREE? And you have to pay for them so the playerbase will probably be split up into people willing to pay for them and people who aren't?

Wow.

Unrelated but apparently the Japanese PS3 release is being handled really well. They haven't patched it, which doesn't just mean no Exterminatus- In versus mode Japan's cut off from the rest of the world too. Nice.

Translation job's pretty bad too, I saw a couple of clips and they translated that line where the final boss says the chaos gods are protecting him with the powers of creation to "the chaos gods, creators of the universe". The translator probably has no idea about the background info and all, but he could've at least read up on the codexes which are available on GW's Japanese site for free in PDF form. :/
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    It'd be easier to get an assault marine with killing blow if you could do weapon unlocks in exterminatus. I haven't gotten to try it yet, how many enemies do you kill in an average game that makes it so infeasible?

The guy with the least kills usually has around 70-90. Most kills can be around 200+.

Don't see why they can't make it so that only the tougher enemies count, though, or maybe have 25 Exterminatus enemies count as one kill or something like that.

Ah well.

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Went all the way through the Hab Assault board in Exterminatus last night. The bonus wave is completely & utterly excessive - I don't know if it can be beaten without having at least one assault marine along (preferably one with a thunder hammer). Liked it through the bonus round, where it turned into a grind...

Also seemed to me like devastators are goners during that round.

Wolf of Dresden on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    The bonus wave is absolutely ridiculous for anyone other then Assault. I did that as a tactical with a storm bolter. It took 2 entire clips to hopefully down one of the chaos marines. It was a little much.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    I made it to the last Ork wave a couple times when I could finally try this on my 360. I was going as an assault with power sword, plasma pistol, impentrable, and zeal. only times I died were when I got mobed by tons of armored boyz and couldnt get an area stun off or jump clear. Or just jumped away from one mob only to land in another mob. The sword just doesn't cut it verses the high end nobs though.

Guess I will have to go kill another 20 guys with the hammer in verses to get killing blow.

• Options
    Yeah you have to have a guy with TPain and killing blow with you on the chaos wave or you're fucked.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The bonus wave is absolutely ridiculous for anyone other then Assault. I did that as a tactical with a storm bolter. It took 2 entire clips to hopefully down one of the chaos marines. It was a little much.

As a Devastator, there were times during the bonus wave where I would just end up footstomping and pistoling them since I was out of ammo, because well SHIT they're some tough old fuckers! Still, a properly epic battle was had.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    This game needs a missile launcher. Switch fire modes between frag and krak like how you brace the h bolter, and use the same fire controls as the AVRiL from UT2k4.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    It needs a fucking Autocannon so I can play a real Havoc.

• Options
    Okay folks, who here's got Space Marine on 360 so we can get a 4-person Exterminatus party going tomorrow?

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Okay folks, who here's got Space Marine on 360 so we can get a 4-person Exterminatus party going tomorrow?

I will aim to be there. Think I'll have to stick with the Jumppack and hammer combo; the meltagun was totally not delivering the damage/spread I was hoping in Co-op compared to VS.

hmm.gif
  • Options
    InigoInigo Registered User regular
    I was just gifted this after playing for over an hour with a guy on WH 40k Retribution, him and his buddy asked me to join them in Space Marines, to which I had to decline for lack of owning the game and being unable to afford it, having just paid mortgage, other bills etc. So I kept on playing Retribution, and Roland joined me. After we were done I left the game to find out that fellow I was playing with earlier gifted me a copy. It is currently downloading.

notbad4puppies2copy.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote:

I personally don't like to play an assault marine in versus so getting the killing blow perk was a pain. Getting the coolant for heavy bolter (30 kill streaks) was fun - and as a devastator, if you see a hammer assault marine coming for you, you pretty much have to drop some grenades and run for it. Even worse, if a tac throws a master crafted grenade at you while you are locked in, you are pretty much toast.

If you don't like pvp/versus mode, I'd recommend getting to level 18 through exterminatus, then grinding out 50 kills with the thunder hammer in versus, and then have fun mashing nobs/chaos space marines and the like back in exterminatus.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Master Crafted grenades are the worst, and I say this as someone who plays tactical marines.

They are the worstest if they take favour of the armory/master crafted grenades.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote:
    Master Crafted grenades are the worst, and I say this as someone who plays tactical marines.

They are the worstest if they take favour of the armory/master crafted grenades.

I actually wind up thanking tactical marines who kill me with regular grenades for not using master crafted ones. I also thank assault marines who don't use final vengeance :D I still find it difficult to deal with assault marines with killing blow on their thunder hammer, but if I see them from far away I'm usually good. The best part about using the heavy bolter is airshotting assault marines, follow them all the way up with the heavy bolter and all the way down - I have found the stomp to be totally ineffective because I refuse to waste perks on it. Every once in a while I see people using the heavy bolter coolant perk in versus. I'm not sure how that works, I almost never overheat my HB, even after killing 3 marines in a row.

Anyway, this game just keeps me coming back somehow. I thought their release strategy was stupid (they should have had exterminatus right from the beginning). But I played the single player all the way through, got bored. Played versus a bit, got bored. Then exterminatus came out, played it a bit more and wanted perks for it. Went back to versus got the perks then decided I wanted to get all of the relic armor. Now I'm working on 50 kill streaks to get the helmet (10 left).

Just as I've had enough, they'll come out with CTF and chaos exterminatus and I'll be hooked all over again.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Those are pretty cool. I would probably wait for a sale before thinking of picking any of them up but the salamander one in particular is pretty awesome.

• Options
    Too bad there's only one chaos one, but they all look rad. Really digging the LotD and Blood Angel skins.

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    probably just wait for a THQ Christmas sale to pick it up, assuming I do at all. multiplayer was so underwhelming at release. only thing that kept me going was the 40k license

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Finally got my 80 grudge kills. Delicious helmet. Celebrated in the only way fitting for what I got.
    2011111000003.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Finally got my 80 grudge kills. Delicious helmet. Celebrated in the only way fitting for what I got.

Grats! That's definitely the roughest one to get.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I played this through single player and man is it fun, and controls very well.

The lack of a final boss made me pretty mad though.

• Options
    Wanted to share a pic from a skirmish I participated in. The captain of the space marine team is done up as a chaplain which I thought was a great touch.
    ChaosSMlineup.png

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    That is an awesome photo!

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    That is an awesome photo!

Thanks! We're going to do another one later this week, I'll try to get some screenshots. We're always looking for players so anyone who is interested is welcome to hit me up.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just got this game and think it'd be cool to have someone to play multiplayer with. Does anyone here play Space Marine on PC?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I picked this up again after a month hiatus, and BAM, Chaos. I picked the worst spot to stop playing the campaign.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Peewi wrote:
    I just got this game and think it'd be cool to have someone to play multiplayer with. Does anyone here play Space Marine on PC?

I do!

I would be glad to get some competitive stuff going since my friends stopped playing basically.

And there's nothing as fun as doing some pubstomps when you have 4+ guys in a Steam chat strategizing it up.

EDIT: I take that back. Exterminatus in the same situation is as fun or moreso.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    The DLC for this game is on sale right now for $0.99 each. So you too can get your Emperors Children, Iron Warriors, Space Wolves, or Black Templar armor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Chaos Exterminatus, CTF, and a few new skins are out today.

Goddamn, there better be a sequel to this game. I want more.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Man, was initially pissed off, because the map pack, etc was only a 100k download, but now I'm downloading a 843 MB patch.

• Options
    Hahaha, I guess that's one way to make sure everyone gets the free DLC.

• Options
    New Steam Achievement to beat Exterminatus, any tips?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    New Steam Achievement to beat Exterminatus, any tips?

Play with people, or be like me and be AWESOME AS FUCK.*

That was seriously hard tho, need assault marine unlocked. It seems you get exp from Exterminatus now which is nice.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skuttie/screenshot/632986216752682667?tab=public

*But seriously do it with friends, I dunno if I could play multi it was barely playable solo for me.

SkutSkut on