As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown] June 5th. $15 USD. Free for ps+ members.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I can't find any way to pick a new one to start a fresh costume without it telling me it's going to overwrite the old one - and then it overwrites the old one.

Then again, I spent about five minutes looking, so. My saved character file thing has the costume base that I selected, though. You used to get 2 in VF4, Evo and 5.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Each costume subset should have it's own options, and you don't need to own every character's items in order to customize any of them, but if you buy any character's items you get all of their items.

The important thing is that, since the items are all optional downloads, you won't see other player's items unless you own them, and visa versa.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Actually, I read that you don't see another player's items unless you own ALL of the items. Which just seems stupid.

Looking at the customisation screen, you pick one costume as a 'base', then can sub in any item you want. At all. So you could start with Costume A, then use all the Costume E items. I'm just not seeing a way to customise multiple outfits. On the PS3, at least, if you pick another costume 'base', it discards your previous outfits and uses the newer one when you play. I can't even see a way to select a second outfit at character select. (You used to hold Select or Start or something when selecting a character.)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Seems they've changed the character profiles from the original console release.

Back then you made a profile for a character and in that profile you could have about 4 custom costumes. In the character select screen instead of directly picking a character you would pick a profile and then pick the costumes from that profile.

They've changed it so that each profile only gets 1 costume, but you can have over 100 profiles. If you want to make another costume you have to make another profile, but you should be able to name them all so you don't get confused.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Yeah, but then you have your versus stats (I assume there are versus stats) spread across multiple platforms.

Just played around with it for a while, and picking a new costume to work on does indeed overwrite any previous outfit you've set up.

When selecting a character that does not have a profile, you get Costume A by default, or Costume B if you hold start. If you select a profile character, you don't get a choice, you just get the last outfit you saved. Minor niggle, but it is vaguely annoying. It was nice to have two set up, so you could switch between them at character select if you got bored.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    You can have as many saved outfits as you want.

Create one - it will be saved as like Something_001. You can change the name to "silly" or whatever. Then back out of the character customization stuff, go back in. It gives you the option to either create a new one, or edit your saved one.

On my Lei Fei I've got like Suit, Shirtless, Traditional, Casual 1, Casual 2 and Grey Suit. When you go to character select, the menu that pops up has a list of the first four. Tap to the right to see the next four, et cetera. It makes picking which outfit you want a very efficient endeavour.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Man, this game is amazing. Combat just feels so smooth.

My 360 GT is Rex Dart 7. Please add me if you'd like to fight some Virtuas with me! I am not very good, and like to spam my basic combos.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Chance wrote: »

Create one - it will be saved as like Something_001. You can change the name to "silly" or whatever. Then back out of the character customization stuff, go back in. It gives you the option to either create a new one, or edit your saved one.

On my Lei Fei I've got like Suit, Shirtless, Traditional, Casual 1, Casual 2 and Grey Suit. When you go to character select, the menu that pops up has a list of the first four. Tap to the right to see the next four, et cetera. It makes picking which outfit you want a very efficient endeavour.
    Ah, okay. I think I get the problem here now.

Pretty sure those are not 'saved outfits', and are in fact 'saved profiles'. Each one will be unique, from the point of view of win/loss records and suchlike. Also, when you play people in versus mode, either online or offline, look under your life bar. It'll have 'Suit', 'Shirtless', 'Traditional' etc under there someplace. That's your profile name, or ring name, and it's how you identify people you're playing against online (ignoring PS3/360 gamertag things), and you're using it to identify different outfits.

Before, in previous games (including VF5), you'd have a named profile, and could select two costume bases from around 4 (some of which needed unlocking), and modify them both. When you were at character select, you could choose the first or second customised outfit with select. Honestly, you're stuck with one outfit 'per profile/ring-name' now. If you play online at all, and if it saves win/loss data (and I don't know if it does because I haven't played any versus yet), you'll have separate data per outfit.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Man, this game is amazing. Combat just feels so smooth.

My 360 GT is Rex Dart 7. Please add me if you'd like to fight some Virtuas with me! I am not very good, and like to spam my basic combos.

Sent you a friend request. Let's get some matches in when we have time.

PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

Ah, okay. I think I get the problem here now.

Pretty sure those are not 'saved outfits', and are in fact 'saved profiles'. Each one will be unique, from the point of view of win/loss records and suchlike. Also, when you play people in versus mode, either online or offline, look under your life bar. It'll have 'Suit', 'Shirtless', 'Traditional' etc under there someplace. That's your profile name, or ring name, and it's how you identify people you're playing against online (ignoring PS3/360 gamertag things), and you're using it to identify different outfits.

Before, in previous games (including VF5), you'd have a named profile, and could select two costume bases from around 4 (some of which needed unlocking), and modify them both. When you were at character select, you could choose the first or second customised outfit with select. Honestly, you're stuck with one outfit 'per profile/ring-name' now. If you play online at all, and if it saves win/loss data (and I don't know if it does because I haven't played any versus yet), you'll have separate data per outfit.

Yeah, that's not how it works at all.

When I'm playing online, I'm Chance_Splinter, 7th Dan or whatever - and I'm fighting you in a three-piece suit. Then I can switch into a previously-designed and saved outfit where I'm in a tank top, cargo pants and army boots - and I'm still Chance_Splinter, 7th Dan.

In order to change your total profile or gamertag or whatever, you have to log out of one PSN ID and log in to another. I have eight or so outfits saved, and no matter which one I'm wearing I'm Chance_Splinter and my match count and stats keep ticking up.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm disappointed that there isn't a $30 complete bundle on XBL like there is on PSN.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I'm really missing the attacks from defensive move (e.g. 8, P+K). It's no longer super brainless to punish linear moves!

And they made certain moves a lot harder to do than before. I think I might have to drop Akira altogether.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    I'm really missing the attacks from defensive move (e.g. 8, P+K). It's no longer super brainless to punish linear moves!

And they made certain moves a lot harder to do than before. I think I might have to drop Akira altogether.

The window for attacking downed opponents is now a lot smaller which kinda bothers me

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, that's not how it works at all.

When I'm playing online, I'm Chance_Splinter, 7th Dan or whatever - and I'm fighting you in a three-piece suit. Then I can switch into a previously-designed and saved outfit where I'm in a tank top, cargo pants and army boots - and I'm still Chance_Splinter, 7th Dan.

In order to change your total profile or gamertag or whatever, you have to log out of one PSN ID and log in to another. I have eight or so outfits saved, and no matter which one I'm wearing I'm Chance_Splinter and my match count and stats keep ticking up.
    Yep. After reading what you told me, and a bunch of online play with a friend, I finally figured out what they were trying to do. PSN ID is your ring name now, and your saved profiles are just new outfits. This is great for online play, not so great for face-to-face play.

The online play is awesome, though. Only had one instance of lag, and it didn't last long, though some of the tweaks (like being unable to use a downed attack after their life-bar is exhausted) feel weird. And I can't execute the down-foward P/K downed attacks on Lion and Vanessa at will in 5FS. I need to put some more time into practicing, and figuring out how things work now.

Basically a huge chunk of how I played Lion has been 'rebalanced'. I can totally see why some of it was changed, but his ability to punish a downed opponent seems really, really limited now. He used to have a pair of long-ranged dashing attacks that looked pretty much identical in the windup, but one hit mid, the other low, and both left to face-forward crumples that he could totally punish in a number of ways. Now one of them looks like a SF3-Yun stride punch, and the other is a lazy step forward and a blow to the knee. Totally different in look, and they play differently too. The new throws take some getting used to, especially the changes to low throws, and throw escapes.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options

The window for attacking downed opponents is now a lot smaller which kinda bothers me

Yeah, the jump attacks that happen in place for 8P downed attacks seem like a punishment for being greedy.

These are enough changes that most other games wouldn't make them until a sequel. It's actually kind of disorienting, but I'm eager to see how it shakes out.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    GGs to Wraith134. You were doing a great job of landing throws. Whenever I went for throws, I just got punched in the face. By the way, do you have Customization Pack 1? It was nice to finally see some customized characters. Just wondering if you could see mine as well.

I don't think I'll ever get really good at this game, but it's still tons of fun casually.

• Options
    Okay, I'm down for network play.

PSN: ProfessorK

However, I'm in the UK, so... wheee. I'll probably be on this weekend quite a bit. Any chance of getting a list in the OP of everyone that wants to play?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    GGs to Wraith134. You were doing a great job of landing throws. Whenever I went for throws, I just got punched in the face. By the way, do you have Customization Pack 1? It was nice to finally see some customized characters. Just wondering if you could see mine as well.

I don't think I'll ever get really good at this game, but it's still tons of fun casually.

I do, yeah. I was super surprised when I saw your neon Pink cyber-Kage for the first time;-p
    The matches were super enjoyable, even the ones against your Aoi (who for some reason I constantly refer to as Aoki, don't know why.) where it felt like she was just eating me alive.
    If you ever want more games when I'm online then feel free to drop me a game invite, I'm happy to drop anything I'm playing to fight some virtuas.
    Same goes for anybody else in here who is looking for people to play VF with, gamertag is Wraith134. Be forewarned, I'm pretty terrible;-p

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    I see on XBL that the download for one character's customization is the full 2gb.
    Has it been confirmed that having only one pack bought will stop someone from seeing other people's costumes?

YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Stigma wrote: »
    I see on XBL that the download for one character's customization is the full 2gb.
    Has it been confirmed that having only one pack bought will stop someone from seeing other people's costumes?

You can't see customized costumes of characters that you haven't bought the packs for, yes.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Gah, I completely spaced out about this game. Damn you BF3 and your delicious Close Combat. Time to get this game downloading!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    EVOL wrote: »

You can't see customized costumes of characters that you haven't bought the packs for, yes.

well that makes buying one character pretty useless.

oh well, I'll have to stick with vanilla for now.
    This game is amazing.

The netcode gets my recommendation!
    It's 4am and I'm 3rd dan. Win some, lose some.

More people should get on this game.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    So, I bought both customization packs, and the VF User Interface legacy continues. Trying to find the right parts for a character is nearly impossible, given that they don't display for every costume. It is truly the dumbest UI.

Nevertheless, I persevered, and I really enjoy some of the dumbest items. Turns out that Wolf's ax on his waist slot causes him to do an alternate win pose.

templewulf on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    This lobby system needs a patch, stat.

• Options
    Lobbies?
    Those just don't work for fighting games in this day and age.

Go ranked, go quick.

• Options
    Uh, no?

Lobbies are great for fighting your friends or other peeps here on PA.

• Options
    Lobbies?

Go ranked, go quick.

I don't hate myself enough to play ranked in most games.

It's not quite as bad in Virtua Fighter, though. Fewer asshats, for some reason.

• Options
    Lobbies?

Go ranked, go quick.

It's not quite as bad in Virtua Fighter, though. Fewer asshats, for some reason.

There's nothing special about ranked, you just get into matches with alot of different people very quickly.
    People don't even plug their mics in to play this for the most part.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Lobbies?

Go ranked, go quick.

There's nothing special about ranked, you just get into matches with alot of different people very quickly.

But they are all significantly better than I am... :(

• Options
    NemeshisuNemeshisu Ginger Overlord Hull, United KingdomRegistered User new member
    Lobbies?

Go ranked, go quick.

But they are all significantly better than I am... :(

That's the trouble with fighting games. There's always somebody waiting to perfect on you.

Still, massively fun game. I found this much easier to get into than original VF5 on 360. I should be down for some games at some point!

PSN: NemesisXposed

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    This lobby system needs a patch, stat.

The 35 second wait time, lack of chatting and the way invitations can only be sent by the host are all very confusing choices.

Matching in Ranked is really good though.

• Options
    You also can't join a room mid-session.

• Options
    I'll try and get on after work today and add everyone. If any of you are online between 8pm and midnight UK time, you might get a challenge! (On the PS3, anyhow)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options

That's...that's pretty fucked up.

Does anyone else have all the customization packs? I want to show off my Real Stupid™ Wolf costumes.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular

That's...that's pretty fucked up.

Does anyone else have all the customization packs? I want to show off my Real Stupid™ Wolf costumes.

I've got all of the customization packs.

I think customizing all the characters has become kind of a game within the game for me, I spent a ludicrous amount of time going through and developing a themed look for all the characters I might use at some point. Now they looks like some kind of evil glam rock Japanese wrestling stable, pretty sure I've got problems.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    Good games to Rex Dart! I really like your Aoi. You were able to get my rhythm down for Pai pretty quickly and start pulling off those reversals. Your Kage is pretty good too. Very mobile and also some good counters on him as well. Also, you have a lot of really cool costumes. Hope to play you again soon (after I make some costumes for my guys).

Is anyone else from PA still playing this?

PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I occasionally play. With BF3, Ghost Recon, Dragon's Dogma and Magic 2013 I have enough right now.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    i play. im not bad. my psn id is kezerel, i think. are there supposed to be numbers or something after that or is it just the name you choose?

• Options
    I am up for Virtua Fighter always and forever. Hit me up whenever.

• Options
    Still need to get my 360 going again. :<

stream