As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, though alot of weapons out in the wasteland, even when you think of the ones the gun runners build, most of them are relics from HUNDREDS of years ago.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Playing with an intricate and complex system like that would probably be a turn-off to many players as well. It's balancing the desire to have that breaking-down-have-to-repair dynamic with not bogging the game with too many details.

I mean, I'd probably enjoy something like that to some degree, but I could easily see how it could become too cumbersome for others.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    Keep in mind, though alot of weapons out in the wasteland, even when you think of the ones the gun runners build, most of them are relics from HUNDREDS of years ago.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to convey. How old the design is isn't going to have a bearing on how durable it is. And anything built by the gun runners or other gunsmiths isn't going to be hundreds of years old even if it's based on an old design. We still use weapon designs today that date back over a century at this point to make new guns.

For the ones that are actual relics, once they've had the old parts that were failing replaced by new parts that aren't failing (or old parts that are intact) the new parts aren't going to degrade at a fast rate just because they were put into an older frame.
    Playing with an intricate and complex system like that would probably be a turn-off to many players as well. It's balancing the desire to have that breaking-down-have-to-repair dynamic with not bogging the game with too many details.

I mean, I'd probably enjoy something like that to some degree, but I could easily see how it could become too cumbersome for others.

Are you referring to my thoughts about a system where you only have to repair the gun once and then not worry about it? I'm not sure I see how that's more complex than repairing it once and then having to keep a stock of extras for future repairs.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    heenato wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to convey. How old the design is isn't going to have a bearing on how durable it is. And anything built by the gun runners or other gunsmiths isn't going to be hundreds of years old even if it's based on an old design. We still use weapon designs today that date back over a century at this point to make new guns.

For the ones that are actual relics, once they've had the old parts that were failing replaced by new parts that aren't failing (or old parts that are intact) the new parts aren't going to degrade at a fast rate just because they were put into an older frame.
    I am talking about the guns themselves. I mean, even with the gun runners, they're not that proliferic yet. They cant do terribly much. The guns that are still out there are ancient. sure, they might have gotten serviced, but they were serviced by ancient parts themselves.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    And its downright ludicrous for some of the melee weapons. How the heck do you repair a bat or tire iron using another bat or tire iron?
    Duct Tape. Lots of Duct Tape. Eventually (after taping together countless weapons), you have a melee weapon that's constructed entirely out of duct tape... and it's the STRONGEST MELEE WEAPON IN THE GAME...

I shall call it Ductxcalibur.

Okay, maybe not.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So having played all the dlc for the first time recently I feel that :

Dead money was well written had an interesting premise and well made in everything except that actual fucking gameplay. I ended up rushing through it not caring what I miss cause I just didn't fucking want to play it anymore. The only satisfying part to me was
    Killing Dean , fucking hate that guy.

Honest hearts was short and I kinda expected more dialogue with Joshua but I had plenty of fun exploring an area that was actually pretty preserved.

Old world blues is the best dlc in the history of forever and if you dare disagree I will fight you. Cannot express how much I loved the dialogue and how they explained exactly why the scientist seemed so off. Not to mention it did have some serious parts , mostly concerning Elijah , Christine and Ulysses . "Who are you who do not know your history?"

Lonesome road was a good conclusion , fleshed out Ulysses as a very interesting character and brought the whole courier vs courier plot line to a close. Irradiated deathclaws are fucking bullshit though .

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Old world blues is the best dlc in the history of forever and if you dare disagree I will fight you.

Shadowbroker. Suck it!

Seriously though, OWB was quite fun, and the dialog had me snickering.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I hated weapon degradation for two reasons. I hate maintenance, just at a basic level I hate when my actions make numbers go down. If I have a cool weapon I want to be able to use it, not worry that I don't have other weapons to repair it with. There's a place for making my shots have a cost, and that place is ammo: every time I fire a weapon I need to worry about buying or salvaging ammo for it, so why add a second, identical mechanic? Second, it means I need to carry around spare guns for repairs, and spare armour, or constantly salvage stuff wherever I go, and to be honest I really don't enjoy salvaging everything I can find. I would much prefer to go into a Vault, ignore all the cheap crap around, and at the end find a giant pile of cash and weapons, that time checking every wardrobe and garbage can for 3 caps isn't fun for me, so a mechanic that makes me look more often, so I can find repair parts, isn't very welcome. If I go with the 'carry a bunch of spares' option, it eats heavily into my carry weight limit, and since that's the other thing I don't like, it's not a good option either.

I think a system where you find broken or shoddily repaired weapons and can repair them, but without degradation, could be good. If there were a mod that turned a pistol into a pile of parts, and each of those parts had a quality rating, so I could get a pistol in good condition but with a cracked barrel, use the barrel from another pistol to repair it and not lose the rest of that pistol, just its barrel, yeah, I think I'd be interested in that. Not enough to try to make it myself, but it sounds like it could be fun.

But like I said, I modded that stuff out so it doesn't really bother me. As long as it doesn't turn up in other, non-moddable games, I don't really care.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    At the very least with the Dead Money DLC (assuming you 'unlocked' the proper stuff) it becomes laughably easy to get weapon repair kits and as such becomes laughably easy to keep any weapon you have repaired. Armor is still an issue, but what can you do?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    C2B wrote:
    Let me amend that I am in no way saying that NV is bad, or badly written in most respects. But the plot was rather weak and the main choice is essentially picking between Satan, Andrew Ryan, or Obama.

These comparisons don't make any sense to me. Well, Satan does "somewhat" if we replace Cesar with Lanius but even that seems weird.

Caesar is Satan on a count of the huge evil mysoginisitic empire he founded.

Mr. House is Andrew Ryan, because he's a dick in a retro-futuristic setting with an army of robots and a hard on for facism.

NCR is Obama, well meaning at first but hella corrupt and kinda shitty but the competition is so much worse he's the only real option.

Disagree strongly.

The major power players are pretty much what I'd expect after THE war hit a massive social reset button.

Caesar isn't the Devil. His legion is a straight up might makes right meritocracy. It's brutal because the wasteland is brutal. The socially backwards attitudes are historically pretty common.

Mr. House is more CEO Morgan than Andrew Ryan. He's a billionaire with clinical immortality and a robot army. He's not trying to create Galt's Gulch, he's trying to rebuild civilization through economic activity with him at the helm.

Your NCR-Obama comparison is also pretty WTF, but this isn't Debate and/or Discourse. Suffice to say, they aren't perfect, but no state/organization with an army throughout history has been beyond reproach.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Moral issues aside the Legion have no future

As soon as Caesar dies it will implode

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The problem I have with the NCR is
    that most of its upper leadership is terrible.

Colonel Moore is TERRIBLE. Chief Hanlon is terrible. A lot of them are terrible.

Colonel Hsu was cool but that's about it. You only spoke to Oliver for a few minutes, so who knows what he's like.

They are all a bunch of assholes. A different kinds of assholes than House or Caesar, but still a bunch of assholes.

In fact, by the end of the game I think my favorite character was Benny.

I beat the game pro-NCR only because it was the fastest path for me and I really wanted to move on at that point, or I would have supported Benny. The main game just doesn't hold up to Old World Blues and once you do a lot of the cooler vanilla quests, the rest of the sidequests and whatever become kind of meh.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    OWB must get a lot better, because so far the high from the very beginning is slowly draining away.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    that most of its upper leadership is terrible.

Colonel Moore is TERRIBLE. Chief Hanlon is terrible. A lot of them are terrible.

Colonel Hsu was cool but that's about it. You only spoke to Oliver for a few minutes, so who knows what he's like.

They are all a bunch of assholes. A different kinds of assholes than House or Caesar, but still a bunch of assholes.

I beat the game pro-NCR only because it was the fastest path for me and I really wanted to move on at that point, or I would have supported Benny. The main game just doesn't hold up to Old World Blues and once you do a lot of the cooler vanilla quests, the rest of the sidequests and whatever become kind of meh.
    Agree on Moore, but Hanlon isn't terrible.

He's broken. As in serious mental issues. His last speech pretty much confirms it, if you turn him in.

He sees Oliver fucking everything up, sees good men dying, and has the same worries about expansion expressed upthread, so he makes a bad play that keeps getting deeper.

In the end, the only way out he sees is to die fighting to cut losses longrun. Crazy, but not actively malicious. Just... sad.

Now Oliver? He's terrible. But the Legion doesn't have one Hsu to even begin to balance its, well, everyone.

And Moore, unlike the bastards in other factions, doesn't have the power to just kill people whenever she wants. The NCR's built on solid principles that hamstring a lot of the worse impulses of people in power.

And I'll admit I like the weapon repair system. It's a bit of extra hassle, but it builds atmosphere, and unlike most games doing this kind of thing, it lets you keep your regular guns working in the field without excessive expense. I mean, I hate decay in System Shock, not fond of it in Fire Emblem despite liking the games, but for Fallout I dig.

It isn't realistic, but this is Fallout, land of SCIENCE!, RADIATION!, and all that comes with.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well weapon decay in System Shock (at least SS2) was bullshit because guns broke completely after a handful of shots and were ridiculous to repair, which is completely ludicrous given the setting.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Drez wrote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I always thought Benny was a lot like my own characters in RPGs, and one of my favourite things about him was that he had a real sense of agency. He doesn't just stand around and ask me to collect something, or kill some guy. He feels like an actual character, going places and doing things.
    I've never killed him before he got to Caesar's camp (and I often let him go free) because he's so interesting and active.

Also Chandler was always my favourite.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't hate the repair system; weapons don't degrade quickly enough for it to be a big problem (especially if you're like me and you use 4-5 different guns all the time) and it gives me something to do with all the random weapons I find that I wouldn't be able to carry anyway.

I also kind of imagine that the various "hunting rifles" or whatever I find are of different make and model; if you think about it that way it makes a little more sense that you'd have to dissemble an entire gun to get the 1-2 parts that you need (maybe not a lot more sense but still), especially since you're frequently doing your repairs in the field.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Some guns (like the LAER) deteriorate at a stupid fast pace.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Grabbed OWB, LR, and GRA on the Steam sale. I also installed AWOP and a bunch of other mods to have some fun with. I haven't actually beaten the game but this should extend the life by... well, a lot. Once Skyrim wears a little thin I'll come back to this one.

I can't decide if I'd like to start a new character or just go back to one of my previous ones. Neither one is particularly well built, though I'm imagining it's pretty easy to get 100 in every skill and the perks I'd need to be godlike. But, eh... I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to character builds.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, Benny was a rare opportunity to engage in some actual roleplaying. My talky-sneaky courier felt inclined to hear him out and see what exactly was going on before starting any trouble, since this whole platinum chip thing was turning out way more complicated than it first appeared.

My big, dumb, brick of a courier immediately snapped and attempted to beat the man to death on sight, bare-handed.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I tried to spare Benny's life after slaughtering Caesar's camp, but Boone shot him dead as he ran off after thanking me. I have no idea why, but I wasn't going to argue.

• Options
    I tried to spare Benny's life after slaughtering Caesar's camp, but Boone shot him dead as he ran off after thanking me. I have no idea why, but I wasn't going to argue.
    Well, if you started to argue with him, that man would just talk your ear off! Man, he says SO much! :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Anyone else experience regular crashing when loading after a fast travel? I've got a bunch of mods installed, plus I am running NVSE and the 4gb extender, but I was having this issue before I had many mods. It just seems much worse now.

• Options
    Is auto save on travel off? Auto save in general can get kind of twitch, and I recall quite a few people pin crashing on it.

• Options
    I'll try that, but I should probably clarify. I'm not getting CTD when I travel somewhere. The loading screen just ends up freezing when I fast travel somewhere, and then I have to close the program in the tasks menu.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Finally played Old World Blues yesterday.

Man.

That is good DLC.

From the
    penis
    toes to the tips of the
    penis
    fingers.

I love the new energy weapons. The dialog. The multiple solutions to every boss fight.

I hate nightstalkers. SO MUCH.

But I learned to love the Gatling laser, chems, and the good old T51-B so it all comes out in the wash.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I finished New Vegas for the second time yesterday. Went for NCR, did all the possible side and unmarked quests and finished all the DLC.
    I wore my Courier Duster, Sheriff Hat and Authority glasses and was one-shotting groups of Legion with my Holorifle+ whilst parts of the dam were exploding in the background.

It was the most satisfying thing I've done in a while!

• Options
    I'll try that, but I should probably clarify. I'm not getting CTD when I travel somewhere. The loading screen just ends up freezing when I fast travel somewhere, and then I have to close the program in the tasks menu.
    Sounds like a classic "Auto Save on Travel" crash to me.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I'm told checking the integrity of the game via Steam fixes that.

Also, wow, I still haven't finished NV. Like, I wanna hit level 50 (which is hard-ish to do when you do the DLC early and most things in the main game don't level up with you) and so I just stopped playing. Yech!

• Options
    Magus` wrote:
    I'm told checking the integrity of the game via Steam fixes that.

Also, wow, I still haven't finished NV. Like, I wanna hit level 50 (which is hard-ish to do when you do the DLC early and most things in the main game don't level up with you) and so I just stopped playing. Yech!

It's really not hard to hit 50, last time I played I got to 50 before I met Benny. There's so much to do, so many enemies and so many quests, you shouldn't have any trouble. You could have a look at the wiki and check for quests, characters, and locations you haven't heard of; even after finishing a couple of times there's still stuff in the wiki I've never heard of, so there should be plenty of extra XP around for you.

• Options
    Last 3 or 4 runs I did were with AWOP, Bounties, and Warzones. Talk about raking in the exp. It was the complete opposite, being close to Max not nearly halfway to Vegas. :P

And on top of that, there were still some vanilla places and unmarked quests that I hadn't seen previously, heh.

• Options
    OK, so what do I need to do to move my Live account to an offline account, or whatever? It's been annoying to deal with, but today it's not even letting me sign in, so all the DLC's disabled and my save is unavailable. Startin' to hate GFWL and I haven't even been using it that long.

• Options
    You know, that actually makes me wonder. Does the steam version of Fallout 3 even USE GFWL? Cause I never got ANYTHING pertaining to it. I mean, it HAS the live option in the main menu, but I've never had to sign in or anything. Did they remove it for the steam version?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I never noticed any GFWL stuff in the Steam version, although I wasn't actually looking for it.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    FO3 requires GFWL, even the Steam version.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:

Only for the DLC, if I remember right.

• Options
    heenato wrote:
    You know, that actually makes me wonder. Does the steam version of Fallout 3 even USE GFWL? Cause I never got ANYTHING pertaining to it. I mean, it HAS the live option in the main menu, but I've never had to sign in or anything. Did they remove it for the steam version?

You need to if you're using the DLC.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    Are you certain about that? Because I did not have GFWL installed at the time I played FO3. The steam version. I don't remember it installing live, nor was I ever asked to sign in. And my save files are where all bethesda save files go, and not the weird voodoo place GFWL puts saves.

Of course, maybe this is just for the game and DLC seperate, and not the GOTY edition.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Are you certain about that? Because I did not have GFWL installed at the time I played FO3. The steam version. I don't remember it installing live, nor was I ever asked to sign in. And my save files are where all bethesda save files go, and not the weird voodoo place GFWL puts saves.

Of course, maybe this is just for the game and DLC seperate, and not the GOTY edition.

Ive only played the GOTY edition and its always had GFWL.

• Options
    heenato wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

I've got the GOTY version, and I can't access DLC content without signing into GFWL.

This discussion has been closed.