Options

Can we [chat]?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    or that black people are marked by God because they are descendants of Cain (and not Abel, like white people),
    This is the part of their beliefs that most confuses me. I mean, do they have a version of the Bible that doesn't have the Flood in it? Because the universal flood killing off everyone except Noah and his family is kind of a thing in Christianity. So none of Cain's descendents made it out of Genesis. I really want to know how Mormons reconcile that with there being black people around today.

FYI, Abel was killed by Cain before having any children, too. Noah, and thus all of humanity if you take the Flood literally, was descended from Seth, Adam and Eve's third child.

The Mormons have their own version of the NT, OT, as well as supplemental books, of which the best known is The Book of Mormon.

About the only thing I'll say on their behalf is that the holy texts they use are freely available, so it's not as if it's a mystery cult. Anyone who wants to compare and contrast their religious literature with that of mainstream Christianity's is free to do so (and it has been done).

But yeah, they have a whole timeline of events that is wonky compared to what's in normal bibles.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    "Sweetie, do you mind if I bring my <one of her roommates> to the ballet instead of you?"
    "Well honey, I had started putting on my suit and getting ready, but if it's important to you I can stay home tonight."
    "Awww, I'll make it up to you."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have pizza and football to watch.

*high five*

yes, well played

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    desc wrote:
    qualifying lap: start in last place

>:l

Desc maybe its time to admit, you aren't very good at racing games.

It's god damned Deb Steppe who's driving, not me. I'm just watching it happen and wondering what all my pretend money is going to if we're not going to win fuckin' races.

On the other hand the car itself just leveled up, so ... I dunno what that means. I guess we'll be faster next.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Yeah if lie about your beliefs to make them more palatable to others, perhaps that should give you pause about having them as beliefs.
    well I guess they could have good, genuine policy ideas to try to accomplish, but I guess you're right, they should completely kneecap their political careers and accomplish literally nothing

Or try and change the system by being a good well known atheist politician instead of a fucking coward who will just hope things change, but fuck if they will risk their career.

Because if you aren't willing to stand behind your own belief system for better or worse, than what the fuck can I trust you to stand behind as a poltician.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Elendil wrote:
    atheists should absolutely be deceptive about their beliefs if running for political office

This really doesn't help much when people accuse atheists of being amoral.

I guess atheists are really bothered by the fact that people generally want to elect people who they feel share their beliefs.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    "Sweetie, do you mind if I bring my <one of her roommates> to the ballet instead of you?"
    "Well honey, I had started putting on my suit and getting ready, but if it's important to you I can stay home tonight."
    "Awww, I'll make it up to you."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have pizza and football to watch.

*high five*

I sense and will accept nothing less than a hilarious sitcom resolution

I'm not a rookie.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    MikeMan wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    or that black people are marked by God because they are descendants of Cain (and not Abel, like white people),
    This is the part of their beliefs that most confuses me. I mean, do they have a version of the Bible that doesn't have the Flood in it? Because the universal flood killing off everyone except Noah and his family is kind of a thing in Christianity. So none of Cain's descendents made it out of Genesis. I really want to know how Mormons reconcile that with there being black people around today.

FYI, Abel was killed by Cain before having any children, too. Noah, and thus all of humanity if you take the Flood literally, was descended from Seth, Adam and Eve's third child.
    How is the Flood a major part of Christianity? Can you show me any Christians apart from crazy fundamentalists who believe it actually happened?

Not a major part, but if you look at the different geneologies of Jesus between Matthew and Luke it kind of comes in to play.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:

The lineage is passed through Ham, Noah's son.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    fuck, I'd give my left ball to replace some of these honest christian politicians with lying atheists

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    desc wrote:
    qualifying lap: start in last place

>:l

Desc maybe its time to admit, you aren't very good at racing games.

It's god damned Deb Steppe who's driving, not me. I'm just watching it happen and wondering what all my pretend money is going to if we're not going to win fuckin' races.

On the other hand the car itself just leveled up, so ... I dunno what that means. I guess we'll be faster next.

Sure blame poor deb, who's trying her hardest while you are completely unaware of whats going on. God damn it desc she's giving years of her life out there for you! Haven't you seen days of thunder?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The brunette is kinda cute. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0KBQlJjzaI

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    EG: anything at all about Egypt (eg: the exodus) in the OT is so far off from the archeologicial record (or the written records of the egyptians and others from the time it is talking about) its just absurd.

Actually, most of what the OT describes about Egypt is exactly in line with the archaeological record. We have Egyptian records for seven-year-long droughts, the story of Joseph in the Egyptian nobleman's house getting seduced by the wife is copied on the Egyptian "tale of two brothers", the cup-bearer was an important person in the Pharaoh's court, the reading of dreams was done much as the OT describes, the seal that the Pharaoh gave to Joseph was a real thing, the Pharaoh during the drought taking land "except that of the temple" is exactly in line with Egyptian civilization (where the temples accumulated so much land over the centuries and millenia they ended up rivalling the Pharaoh in power), there are expressions and names in Ancient Egyptian, and they even got the number of days between death and mummification right. "Moses" is an Ancient Egyptian name, and the Egyptians really did use straw in their clay bricks. Oh, and let's not forget Joseph living to be 110 years old, an age that Ancient Egyptians (not Jews) considered significant and wise.

Whoever wrote the Egyptian part of the OT wasn't being "absurd", he was in fact quite accurate and versed in Egyptian life and culture.

notsureifserious.jpg

I am. I'm not saying that Joseph and Moses are historical figures or that the specific events surrounding them happened - we have no records for that outside of the OT. But the details of Egyptian everyday life in the OT are quite accurate.

Actually no, no they aren't.

The details (and there are less than you'd think) of Egypt that are glimpsed here and there in the OT are of (specificially) northeastern egypt during the Saite period at the earliest (685-525 BCE). These are falsely thrust back in time to the bronze age despite them making no sense in that context.

Care to back that up with some examples of anachronistic details? Because otherwise I'm calling bullshit. The easiest thing to date is "A Tale of Two Brothers", which is from 1200BC. The royal cup bearer, dream interpretations, giving land to temples, and putting straw into mud bricks are all extremely old traditions as well, easily 1500-2000BC if not earlier.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Yeah if lie about your beliefs to make them more palatable to others, perhaps that should give you pause about having them as beliefs.
    well I guess they could have good, genuine policy ideas to try to accomplish, but I guess you're right, they should completely kneecap their political careers and accomplish literally nothing
    Elendil, you don't understand: being honest is more important than actually being able to accomplish anything.

This is why Democrats should never, ever say anything mean about Republicans.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    This is my point. How does that not apply to Mormons and atheists equally?

I have never advocated that anyone lie about their religious beliefs to get elected. Perhaps you confused me with one of the other forumers who have said atheists should lie to get elected. I don't condone that at all, as I have said.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    atheists should absolutely be deceptive about their beliefs if running for political office

I guess atheists are really bothered by the fact that people generally want to elect people who they feel share their beliefs.

Most atheists are amoral. Many I know are good, ethical people, and definitely not immoral. But they are amoral.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Is that why jews don't eat pork?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Or try and change the system by being a good well known atheist politician instead of a fucking coward who will just hope things change, but fuck if they will risk their career.

Because if you aren't willing to stand behind your own belief system for better or worse, than what the fuck can I trust you to stand behind as a poltician.
    you can't be a good, well-known atheist politician if you're not getting fucking elected in the first place

• Options
    man orson scott card wrote a book about a kid that's different from birth and only finds companionship with another kid that's different from birth

and he feels weird and alone and different in a way he can't quite name

and he wrote that weird book about the song singing kid everyone wanted to fuck

• Options
    Podly wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Most atheists are amoral. Many I know are good, ethical people, and definitely not immoral. But they are amoral.

wha?

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    fuck, I'd give my left ball to replace some of these honest christian politicians with lying atheists
    Fuckin' a, man; fuckin' a.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD IF YOU FUCKING ACT A CERTAIN WAY IN REAL LIFE THAT IS JUST HUMAN BEHAVIOR

SOMEONE BEING RUDE OR POLITE IS NOT 'SUBVERTING A TROPE'

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

GO TO JAIL

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    wondering what all my pretend money is going to if we're not going to win fuckin' races.

Welcome to motorsport.

• Options
    MikeMan wrote:
    Richy wrote:

How is the Flood a major part of Christianity? Can you show me any Christians apart from crazy fundamentalists who believe it actually happened?
    I didn't say "major" part or that people believed it, I just said it was there. It's in every single version of the Bible that I know about.

And you're right, no one believes it happened except fundamentalists who take the Bible literally... and that would fit the description of someone who believes the Mark of Cain is a real thing, IMO.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    The brunette is kinda cute. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0KBQlJjzaI

Some of those looks they share is down right :winky:

Also, if a dead croc wrangler endorses a product, I ask no questions and purchase twenty copies.

Free? no, no, I am paying.

• Options
    Podly wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Wait what

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Richy wrote:

How? If Ham is Noah's son, and Noah is descended from Seth, how is Ham descended from Cain?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD IF YOU FUCKING ACT A CERTAIN WAY IN REAL LIFE THAT IS JUST HUMAN BEHAVIOR

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

GO TO JAIL

My life is just one big AP English essay.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    MikeMan wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Let's just pretend I have handy a video of the Republican debate from 2008 where someone asked who believed in the literal truth of the Bible and most of the candidates raised their hands.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    man orson scott card wrote a book about a kid that's different from birth and only finds companionship with another kid that's different from birth

and he feels weird and alone and different in a way he can't quite name

and he wrote that weird book about the song singing kid everyone wanted to fuck

The whole "All homephobes are closeted gays" isn't that true, but in his case I'm kinda thinking it is.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

GO TO JAIL

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoNotPassGo

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:

I have never advocated that anyone lie about their religious beliefs to get elected. Perhaps you confused me with one of the other forumers who have said atheists should lie to get elected. I don't condone that at all, as I have said.
    No, you said that people with unpopular beliefs should reconsider them since they're unpopular for a reason, and I pointed out that that applies to atheists just as well.

• Options
    Podly wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

That's nice. But the voting public probably isn't OK with that.

So I guess that makes lying to them OK?

Because atheists have so many great ideas that are bound to fix everything that them getting political power is that important?

What's the difference between atheists who want other atheists to lie their way into office and Randian Robert Jordan fans who wank to the idea of some prick with a magic nuclear sword executing everyone who doesn't toe the line, seizing power, and establishing a wonderful dictatorship filled with moral clarity?

I can tell you what's the same about them.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

GO TO JAIL

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoNotPassGo

Oh no a link to tvtropes now I have an excuse for being a useless piece of shit who just browses the web all day! I better make a big deal out of iiiiiiiiit

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

wha?

Morals are often discussed in the terms of law and are somehow constitutive of human experience. They are speculative, and it's assumed that we somehow "grasp" them, as if they have some abstract and universal property for them. They are extra-sensual. For an atheist to doubt the existence of god and yet uphold these universal absolutes that are unknowable isn't exactly a strong belief foundation.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

No, you said that people with unpopular beliefs should reconsider them since they're unpopular for a reason, and I pointed out that that applies to atheists just as well.

No, that's not what I said.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Some of those looks they share is down right :winky:

Ahaha, I watched it again while muting it and I see what you mean.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I remember when you couldn't post a link to TVTropes because people would be furious that you made them spend the next few hours on that site clicking and clicking. Now people hate it. I don't remember ever liking it but this transition is so sudden! Seems like it happened in the past year or two.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Oh no a link to tvtropes now I have an excuse for being a useless piece of shit who just browses the web all day! I better make a big deal out of iiiiiiiiit

I know you're mocking this response

which is appropriate because whenever I see it

I'm like "Well, I guess you're very easily entertained, and that's probably a pretty awesome thing considering how much money it can save you over a lifetime."

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    oh podly! I remember you told me about how poop is sometimes a flavor profile of wine, and I had a wine that had poop in the bouquet

my dad said the polite way to say it is 'barnyard'

beautiful, beautiful wine though

• Options
    I wonder if whatever it is that drives Cass to read troper tales is the same thing that compels people to watch reality TV.

This discussion has been closed.