As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ten Years Later

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I was on a field trip for school and they pulled us aside to tell us that terrorists hijacked a plane and might be planning to hit a building with it. Then when we got home it had happened. I know it was awful and I felt terrible for everyone who lost someone involved and the people who went to help are total heroes in my book, but it really didn't effect me in the middle of the Midwest. I know thats an awful thing to say, but I pretty much went "well shit. that sucks" and kept on going with my day to day.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote:
    you were supposed to correct me and say 25, dammit

Nah, honest to a fault

So in hindsight it's surprising that I worked for the Navy for so long

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote:
    American citizen have become complacent and all to comfortable.

I wish every day for an Arab spring type movement here in the states but I know that will never happen. We are a nation of revolutionaries, but we no longer have the will to revolt, or even have meaningful protests.

Recently, there was a college protest over the latest increase of school tuition costs

a bunch of students blocked off the entrance to the campus and people couldn't get in to class

I still haven't found the words to explain why that bothers me, but I get pissed off whenever I think about it

Are you pissed over the protests or tuition increases?

the protests

thought that doesn't mean I like the tuition increases

I just hate the response

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i didn't really understand the significance or gravity at all then, and i still dunno if i do

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I almost wish I had some dramatic story to tell about what happened when I found out about the attacks, it'd be better than what I did do. I would have been 10 at the time. I turned the TV on like I did every morning, was confused by why the morning cartoons had been replaced by a news report about something I didn't quite understand at the time, then turned it off. It wasn't until I got to school that it dawned on me that something big had happened, and I had missed it completely because I was a selfish kid who just wanted his cartoons.

I still feel kind of bad about that. Thankfully I'm far more politically aware now.

Flay on
  • Options
    JetFalconJetFalcon Registered User regular
    Well, at least this 9/11 will be better because Osama is dead. I bet he had a big 9/11 party planned for all his terrorist buddies.

Celebrating 4 months too early moving into a mansion instead of staying in his stupid cave.

• Options
    WarbleWarble Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    Artreus wrote:
    JetFalcon wrote:
    JetFalcon wrote:
    My tutor said there were a bunch of arabs or middle east people cheering on the streets of America when 9/11 happened. Kind of stupid they were living in America yet celebrating the death of not just Americans but other races around the world.

Very likely their own people got killed too, but I guess the terrorists would say they betrayed the arabs and Muhammad.

I am fairly certain that this didn't happen.

Well, my tutor said it happened. And just because people live in America doesn't mean they are going to all love America. Nvm, maybe not a bunch, but a small group of them. Like the really 5 retarded arabs who thought it would be a great idea to put a further bad stereotype on their race and go cheering that planes went inside buildings.

Your tutor was a liar and an idiot.

don't forget racist!

We watched the news all day in school and i remember in the beginning of the day they showed some clips of people celebrating and were like, "blah blah muslims celebrating over this"

I'm pretty sure it was because we lived in Idaho and the news channel was probably fox. So, yeah, a liar and racist idiot.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Zombies I do not think you understand America's unwillingness to be at war in world war 2 when you say it could have been another pearl harbour because with the majority of of the points you have made there were equivalents that occurred in the 1940's.

I meant it more along the lines of the galvanizing effect that the attack had on the nation. Everyone chipped in and did their part. Everyone sacrificed so we could be the best damn nation we could possibly be.

Now, Americans are unwilling to sacrifice even the barest amounts. The days immediately after the attack had that feeling of helping and charity. But it quickly faded.

It's a bit of rose tinted glasses.

Remember people didn't volunteer, it was conscription and that war bonds were a huge thing which they really had to push for people to buy, it's not like they were lining up to give them their money.

It's probably has been the US's most least popular war ever no doubt, but I just don't think the it could have been like a pearl harbor is accurate.

(unless of course you are talking about how the government knew that both were happening and let them happen obvs)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    America was galvanized during WW2 because of the propaganda campaign. I mean, yes, people sacrificed and recycled and invested in war bonds and all that stuff, but there was a huge amount of propaganda helping to rally people to those causes.

That same propaganda machine turned on itself this time.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    JetFalcon wrote:
    Well, at least this 9/11 will be better because Osama is dead. I bet he had a big 9/11 party planned for all his terrorist buddies.

Celebrating 4 months too early moving into a mansion instead of staying in his stupid cave.
    They did find documents referencing the date there in the compound. I'm worried about something happening tomorrow, not just in NYC or in D.C. but elsewhere too. Those places are gearing up like crazy but what about Los Angeles?

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I remember being incredibly pissed at Casey's General Store/Gas Station for hiking up their gas prices to like $4 a gallon (which was like, two dollars higher than the average at the time) on 9/11. For no fucking reason other than to cash in on people's fear. Although they got in a lot of shit for it.

• Options
    Ah yes, the Red menace

Now, the Terrorist menace

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The day after the 9/11 attacks we had classes on reinforced concrete and how heat effect's their structural integrity.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Where I was on 9/11 was the west coast, and I had no connections or ties to New York whatsoever. I was so far removed from everything.

It was 11th grade for me, the start of the year. I'd signed up for a college-level computer course that was off campus, so there was a bus that would pick is up at school an hour before classes normally started. Well, I missed it that morning just by chance. And it was my friends that told me of what happened. It being highschool there was a lot of "I'm scared, I wanna go home!" crap going on. I was able to wave it off, until I got home and started watching the news with my stepmom (since half my school day was more or less canceled). I was able to see the towers drop live on television, and it was pretty goddamn horrific. When I returned to school at lunch time for the rest of my classes, I really let one of my friends have it with her laugh-it-off "I want to go home I don't want to get hit by a plane" crap.

But that detachment I mentioned at the start of my post, I feel like I was lucky that I had that going on. Which is selfish, but I don't know how I could or would react if I did have somebody in the city who was lost or hurt for the long term.

Edit - Missed some words in there somehow.

Henroid on
  • Options
    i can't lie, i'm sort of glad i have no reason to be in manhattan tomorrow

i'm a nervous person in the best of times

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    EDIT: @ Blake It's a good thing they did that, remember those 9/11 documentaries asking for the Truth?

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    The day after the 9/11 attacks we had classes on reinforced concrete and how heat effect's their structural integrity.

Practical!

• Options
    god if we can avoid someone coming in here and spouting off bullshit conspiracy theories I might actually have a good day

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Blake's prof did 9/11

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote:
    I was in high school, just hanging in the school library and waiting for class to begin when we heard the first impact. Couple of us went to the windows, and first place I looked was down at the street. I thought that maybe a truck had crashed or something of that sort. Someone had to tell me to look up before I realized there was a smoking hole in the side of one of the towers. I was a bit worried at this point. At the time, my mother worked in one of the towers. Speculation abound, we came to the conclusion that it was an accident.

Then the second plane hit. All the students were told to go to their first classes and wait there. In my class, we turned on the TV and just as we did so, we see that the Pentagon had been hit. We stay there for a little while, where we're informed by the news that all bridges and tunnels off the island were being shut down. Groans everywhere, as a good portion of the room lived outside Manhattan. Then we were all moved to our respective homerooms where we waited some more.

Then the towers came down. I look outside, and see a massive dust cloud rolling across the blocks between Ground Zero and our school. I could see down in the street people fleeing from it. This was what I assume prompted the evacuation. We all got the out in a hurry and started walking up the west side until we get to Chelsea Piers...along the way, I continually fretted about what happened to my mother. We split off into groups once we heard that some subway lines were still running. Some groups found places to stay on the island, and others tried to get home. The group I was in walked to the closest station that went to Brooklyn, and we got on.

About an hour and a half later, I enter my home to see my mom watching the news coverage of the incident.

She'd had the day off.

Yikes.

When I got home that day, I found out that the reason my grandmother was worried enough to give us a call earlier that morning was because my cousin had a meeting in one of the towers that morning. I didn't even know he was living in New York until that moment, and I was terrified.

We found out later that he missed his bus.

• Options
    i read some conspiracy theories recently out of curiosity for how ridiculous they've gotten in ten years time

answer: pretty ridiculous

• Options
    i didn't really understand the significance or gravity at all then, and i still dunno if i do

Once again Satans proves himself to be more eloquent then I, as this once sentence sums up my whole previous post

• Options
    Slate had a couple of interesting articles about the endurance of conspiracy theories a week or so ago

I'd dig up a link but I'm going to bed

'Night chilluns

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    god if we can avoid someone coming in here and spouting off bullshit conspiracy theories I might actually have a good day

my sister's tried a few times to get me to watch that zeitgeist movie

fucking hell

• Options
    Blake T wrote:

Practical!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/77305/social-entropy-awesome-post-in-im-starting-to-get-really-fucking-angry-911-truthers.qu/p1

• Options
    fucking lightrider

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Practical!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/77305/social-entropy-awesome-post-in-im-starting-to-get-really-fucking-angry-911-truthers.qu/p1

ahahahahaha

classic :^:

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I dislike truthers.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56eAED2GBqM

• Options
    Blake T wrote:
    Blake T wrote:

Practical!

I love this. And I love Blake

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    America was galvanized during WW2 because of the propaganda campaign. I mean, yes, people sacrificed and recycled and invested in war bonds and all that stuff, but there was a huge amount of propaganda helping to rally people to those causes.

That same propaganda machine turned on itself this time.

ehhh kind of.

The same thing has happened many times in the past. Some big thing happens, everybody bands together and stuff happens.

Not necessarily because of a "Propaganda machine"

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I generally have a pretty terrible memory, but I do remember that i was sixteen, a sophomore, and I was walking into my first class that day and the television was on. This wasn't initially odd, since the morning announcements were shown on the classroom televisions, but this time the news was on. I asked a kid who was already there what was going on, and he said something about the Pentagon being blown up. I thought he was joking. The teacher came in and we all talked a bit about what we had heard about what was going on. She said we should all take a minute and write in our notebooks about what we were thinking and feeling. It was a journalism class, so it seemed especially appropriate. I don't remember if we went home early after that or not.

• Options
    JetFalconJetFalcon Registered User regular
    About this conspiracy of the US government purposely causing 9/11. What's if we said bunnies are responsible for 9/11?

• Options
    haha i remember that thread

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I think was in a chemistry class when we got the news. We didn't have a TV brought in, only a radio.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I also fucking hate 9/11 truthers with a passion.

They are jsut stupid, deluded people.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    haha i remember that thread

apparently I posted all over that thread

and now I remember my old instructor's crazy conspiracy theories

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That was a fantastic thread.

Blake is my hero.

• Options
    Artreus wrote:
    I also fucking hate 9/11 truthers with a passion.

They are jsut stupid, deluded people.

I find that they're people who are in desperate need of something to believe in, so instead of religion on some level or another they go with government conspiracy "out to get us!" crap.