Options

[Dead Island] 2 Million Copies Sold, 20 Million Zombies Killed

• Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    This game was a kick (no pun intended). Played through it rather quickly with a friend of mine, and had a lot of fun with it. Slicing off limbs and heads in one shot is simply too satisfying.

Looking forward to doing it all over again and doing more exploration.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Giant bomb has a quick look up for the new DLC,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mr2rInxjc&feature=player_embedded

Looks pretty shitty. No leveling or co-op which removes a major part of what made the game fun.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    yeah that looks unfun

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Wow. I was tempted to pick that DLC up when I finally got around to grinding out my last two trophies but uhhh, no thanks.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah, no new achievements and all the worst aspects of the game highlighted? Nope. Not into that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Arena looks fun, though.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The arena is decent fun and a pretty good way to get easy exp, money and loot.

Not sure I'd pay ten bucks for it, though, but as a freebie it was okay.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So just started playing this and single player seems fine. Coop, on the other hand, is a crashing, desyncing mess. Not too impressed with coop so far, going to read through the thread eventually and see if there's a magic fix...

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    What are you playing on? I've never had an issue with co-op on 360

Also, what do the developer mods do? The descriptions are awful, and I don't have the stuff to make all of them

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Also, what do the developer mods do? The descriptions are awful, and I don't have the stuff to make all of them

They're fun goofy mods. Like, one kills everything but drains all your stamina/breaks instantly.

Shit like that.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Damnit, I need to go back and finish this one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote:

They're fun goofy mods. Like, one kills everything but drains all your stamina/breaks instantly.

Shit like that.

Developer's No. 4 Craft is good for Logan players since durability doesn't go down when you throw a weapon (unless that changed with a patch) and, therefore, don't have to spend ludicrous amounts of money to repair it. It's the one that makes zombie heads explode.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    and with logan's 'the effect of this thrown weapon will affect zombies around the target in X radius' skill

you can take out ENTIRE HORDES with one throw

it's completely broken

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    it's completely broken

Isn't that the whole point? :P

I'm thinking of building all the dev crafts, but getting diamonds is a real chore.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Klash wrote:
    it's completely broken

Isn't that the whole point? :P

I'm thinking of building all the dev crafts, but getting diamonds is a real chore.

Not if you have some champaaaaaaaaaaaagne. =P

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2012

PC. So I guess that may explain it. Google isn't turning up many fixes, just lists of problems with no solutions. Figures.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    co-op on the PC is fairly fixed by this point as well

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not if you have some champaaaaaaaaaaaagne. =P

Champagne? You don't say?

Well, that changes things. That drunk might just be worth that awful, grating voice.

Edit: Well! What a coincidence! I had 22 diamonds after freeing myself of that champagne. 3 more diamonds and I'll have made all five dev crafts.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    Any favorite mods? I just got the game after being gifted it by @Iolo, so I've been playing through as Xian. Fun so far!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:

PC. So I guess that may explain it. Google isn't turning up many fixes, just lists of problems with no solutions. Figures.

Yeah that's weird. I've never had any major problems on PC any more... not since patch 1.3.0.

• Options
    bobmyknob wrote:
    Any favorite mods? I just got the game after being gifted it by @Iolo, so I've been playing through as Xian. Fun so far!

vanilla's pretty fun. i'd recommend playing through at least once without mods just to see what the devs got right.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    bobmyknob wrote:

vanilla's pretty fun. i'd recommend playing through at least once without mods just to see what the devs got right.

Definitely going to finish playing through it without mods first. Was just curious what the modding scene has been like though. I could see the game being modded to be a bit more survival-horror.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Xeddicus wrote:

Yeah that's weird. I've never had any major problems on PC any more... not since patch 1.3.0.

Well what the hell! Why me/us! It straight CTD's for both me and my brother, that seems really odd giving we have totally different machines and it's supposed to not be screwed up. If it was just desynching so a router issue or something fine, but crashing...grrr! Whole reason I got the game was for coop too. Le sigh.

• Options
    might be driver-related.

@bob there are a few mods that have added a full day/night cycle, storms with lots of wind and rain, and other neat bits

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Yeah Xedd, post your specs. Make sure your Windows is fully up to date, and make sure your video card drivers have been fully upgraded. Then make sure you verify integrity/defragment of the game in Steam. Did one of you download the game and then make a backup copy of that? That could explain why you're both getting the CTDs.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I started playing this a while ago.

I hate the idea of destructible weapons.

I mean, some of them make sense, sure. I can see myself breaking an oar on somebody's head.

But a crowbar?

How the hell do you break a crowbar?

• Options
    RT800 wrote:
    I started playing this a while ago.

I hate the idea of destructible weapons.

I mean, some of them make sense, sure. I can see myself breaking an oar on somebody's head.

But a crowbar?

How the hell do you break a crowbar?

Just assume it's not a good quality crowbar and made of aluminum or something.

• Options
    You're also murdering tens of thousands of zombies. I think you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to realism. :P

• Options
    edited March 2012
    urahonky wrote:
    Yeah Xedd, post your specs. Make sure your Windows is fully up to date, and make sure your video card drivers have been fully upgraded. Then make sure you verify integrity/defragment of the game in Steam. Did one of you download the game and then make a backup copy of that? That could explain why you're both getting the CTDs.

XFX 6670 1GB, Athlon II X3 425, 4GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit up to date. I do have the 12.1 preview drivers, so I guess I should probably update those now, but it ONLY crashes in freaking coop. And my brother has Nvidia/Intel and his coop goes to shit too and not solo. And we installed off discs and verified the cache so that can't be it. No problems in anything else, of course. Guess I"ll go try updating my video card drivers to 12.1/12.2 preview maybe...

And the damn thing desync's in LAN mode eventually too. ARGH!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    You're also murdering tens of thousands of zombies. I think you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to realism. :P

the idea being suspension of disbelief can only be spread through so many points, so if you buy in there are zombies, that leaves only a finite amount of this suspension available for other topics.

or at least this is how i tend to view things.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I got this game back when it came out. Had it on my PS3, and ran into a lot of glitches, the worst being that it kept resetting my save to one specific spot and I was pretty much unable to progress the story, because no matter how many checkpoints and saves I completed, when I loaded the game up I would lose all my progress.

I've heard that most of the glitches have been resolved and I want to give this another shot. Previously I had been playing as the black guy (melee). I'm going to be starting a new game and I was just wondering if there are any really awesome builds that I should be aware of that would be tons of fun to play?

• Options
    Don't avoid the Rage tree. I think it's Rage... Anyway.. It makes bosses and Thugs really easy.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was not a fan of Sam B's rage but that's probably because I used rage as a panic button and those infected still deal all kinds of damage while you try to punch them all back. Purna fit this style perfectly. Even restores your health.

Knock-down skills (including tackle), quick head stop, and regen was my bread n butter with Sam B.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    I'm not saying go all the way down it, but just don't ignore it. Otherwise you spend time fighting a Thug when you could be punching him and his friends to oblivion. :P

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Purna has the best Rage. Kills just about everything in sight and restores your health.

Xian has quite possibly the worst. Oh hey let me poke you with this knife a bit. Blurgh.

• Options
    I don't know... I like Logan's. I'm pissed I waited till around level 40 to try it out. Hitting 5 zombies with knives from a long distance is awesome. Purna's gun kinda annoyed me for some reason.

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    Xian's killed everything in 1 hit.

Including rams and brutes.

The last boss took 2 hits

• Options
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    Xian's killed everything in 1 hit.

Including rams and brutes.

The last boss took 2 hits

Took one for me... Used a X5 Lightning blunt weapon. Knocked him off the roof. :P I lost the item though. :(

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's funny, but to this day, literally decades later, my experiences with old school RPGs where all the 'good shit' (other than massive amounts of damage) generally doesn't work on bosses always means I'm surprised when a game bucks this trend.

Having the electrocute proc on my weapon trigger and absolutely wreck the final boss on, like, the third swing may have been a bit anti-climactic, but it was also funny as shit.

And while I appreciated "the end run" right up until the roof top sequence, I didn't mind wrapping things up and moving on a bit.

I think I've got most of the DLC but haven't gotten around to trying it. Might have to give this another whirl sometime. That day/night/storm mod sounds intriguing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Are they EVER going to patch this game so LAN games don't desynch? I get the feeling no and that's the entire reason I bought it, damnit.