As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters in theaters near you HALLOWEEN NIGHT!

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Part of me is happy at this, part of me is saying, "So they've skipped actually remaking movies, and are just reshowing the same old reels for $12 a ticket...fuck you, Hollywood".

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah my drop everything and watch movie is Aliens as well. In fact it nearly drove me mad since at one point a different version was aired that included an extended scene of the sentry guns in the hallway scene. I saw that and was like whaaaa!? I thought I might have been crazy since no movie stores (pre-internet) I went to or people I asked knew what I was talking about and I never saw that version again. I never saw it again until the super special extended version was released years ago and it had that scene. I knew it had aired on Fox and I scoured the tv-guide (pre-internet) for every time Aliens showed for months hoping to see that scene and maybe even be able to record it.

... you're like the brother I never had!

Edit: and Aliens was in the theatres for a brief run this year (like 4 showings over 2 weeks) at one of the big chains downtown, and I missed it. I should write them begging to have it brought back so I can relish the power loader battle on a big screen.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    I love the first Ghostbusters movie, but I can never watch it on regular TV. They always mangle the best line in the movie. "It's true. This man has no dick" becomes "This man is crazy, some kind of nut".

Oy. I know it shouldn't spoil the whole movie for me, but it does.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I think Ghostbusters might genuinely be my favorite movie ever

Like, sure, I respect and love other movies more for different reasons

but out of every movie in the world, if it was playing on tv and you were flipping through the channels, what's the one movie you'd stop to watch no matter how many times you'd seen it before?

for me, it's ghostbusters

maybe big lebowski too

howard the duck

Haha yes. Howard the Duck.
    God I have not seen that in ages. I still have the freaky truck driver scene in the diner burned into my memory.
    That shit was scary when I was little.

all excellent answers

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think Ghostbusters might genuinely be my favorite movie ever

Like, sure, I respect and love other movies more for different reasons

but out of every movie in the world, if it was playing on tv and you were flipping through the channels, what's the one movie you'd stop to watch no matter how many times you'd seen it before?

for me, it's ghostbusters

maybe big lebowski too

I can't not watch The Fifth Element if it's on tv. Whether it's 5 minutes in, or 5 minutes until the end, I have to watch the rest of it if run across it flipping channels.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Know what show was actually okay? Extreme Ghostbusters. Yeah it was full of late 90s "extreme" bullshit, but it was actually pretty watchable if you consider the Real Ghostbusters.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    We can totally be internet brothers!

My mom brought me to see Aliens in the theater, with her boyfriend despite that being kind of awkward the movie was great I would love to see that ending scene on the big screen again.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Forar wrote:
    Yeah my drop everything and watch movie is Aliens as well. In fact it nearly drove me mad since at one point a different version was aired that included an extended scene of the sentry guns in the hallway scene. I saw that and was like whaaaa!? I thought I might have been crazy since no movie stores (pre-internet) I went to or people I asked knew what I was talking about and I never saw that version again. I never saw it again until the super special extended version was released years ago and it had that scene. I knew it had aired on Fox and I scoured the tv-guide (pre-internet) for every time Aliens showed for months hoping to see that scene and maybe even be able to record it.

... you're like the brother I never had!

Edit: and Aliens was in the theatres for a brief run this year (like 4 showings over 2 weeks) at one of the big chains downtown, and I missed it. I should write them begging to have it brought back so I can relish the power loader battle on a big screen.

THIS. This is what the Internet has killed. Now nothing is special anymore...

FUCK YOU GOOGLEPEDIASPACEBOOKMAIL
    *continues posting*

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    Part of me is happy at this, part of me is saying, "So they've skipped actually remaking movies, and are just reshowing the same old reels for $12 a ticket...fuck you, Hollywood".

Not exactly new.

This was the norm way back in the day before video.

Disney did it, Gone With The Wind did it, on and on.

Considering I went down to an Edgar Wright marathon a couple weeks back just to see three films I already owned on DVD on the big screen, I can't really complain.

(Alright, Wright was there too, and it was neat, but I would have gone just for the movies.)

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This is and has always been my favorite movie.

When I was little I watched it weekly.

As I grew up I got more and more of the jokes until I realized just how great it actually is.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I would have watched this movie every day when I was 6 if I could have.

Except I was scared of the terror dogs and would have to fast forward through those bits.

In particular the part where the statue starts to crumble and the red eye is glowing underneath and when Dana gets attacked in her apartment

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I was fine with the dogs but the ghost librarian creeped the shit out of me

and the extradimensional space in the refrigerator

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    I was fine with the dogs but the ghost librarian creeped the shit out of me

and the extradimensional space in the refrigerator

Ssshhhhhhhhh.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that second picture you posted of the new style Ecto belongs to a forumer:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/114244/ecto-1-and-jurassic-jeep-the-troll-hunter/p1

Yeah, I specifically searched for a pic featuring @Boomerjinks's Magnum and the other photo is from this year's Dragon*Con.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    man I hope they stuck to claymation and double exposure (or whatever it is they did in the originals) for the ghost effects in the third one

also:
    Lemme tell ya something, bustin' makes me feel good!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5phlHLOeQ

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Know what show was actually okay? Extreme Ghostbusters. Yeah it was full of late 90s "extreme" bullshit, but it was actually pretty watchable if you consider the Real Ghostbusters.

I feel the same way. It payed proper homage to the original and the characters were all pretty well-written. It was done by the same studio that made the Men in Black cartoon and I feel they're both of equally-high quality.

It's hilarious how bent out of shape some people get when they see that one of the characters is a paraplegic, though. It's on-par with the opposition that rose to express outrage when Donald Glover was proposed as a speculative Spider-Man candidate.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Oh my god this Top Gun and Jurassic Park are all going to be on at the pictures again. I am giddy with excitement.

There's no emoticon joyful enough to accurately display my happiness over this news

Yesss, so excited about the Jurassic Park re-release. It is my favourite film. I don't even really know why. Oh wait, DINOSAURS.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I bet Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters won't be showing near me, but if they are I sure as fuck am going to see them.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    okay so I need to see this in theaters

also need to see the lion king in theaters

• Options
    BusterK wrote:
    I have no faith in a new Ghostbusters movie. With that Blade Runner movie, someone genuinely excited about making a new Blade Runner is in charge and throwing out all sorts of new ideas to do something fresh. The only thing I've heard about this one is "We're making another one because money." And I'm sure if there was anything near a half decent script Bill Murray would be happy to be in it.

I've dreaded this inevitable sequel for a long time now but I've made peace with it. I should inform you of a few things, though, as the production of this movie isn't really any different from them making a new Blade Runner without Harrison Ford.

The reason this is ultimately getting made isn't just because the copyright-holders found out that Ghostbusters stuff is still marketable. Sure, the movie wouldn't be getting made were it not for that, but the only reason they even did a study as to its viability was because Dan Aykroyd has been trying to get this done for many, many years. He and Harold Raimis wrote the script for the original Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II and both of them have been genuinely excited to do this project for a long time, citing that the first two movies were some of the most fun they've ever had in the business. There have been several scripts, some penned by Aykroyd as well as some written by great comedy writers like the team responsible for the American version of The Office. The movie is much-beloved and all those involved with it on ground-level are people who love the universe and characters and want to give audiences another experience in that world.

The actual plots all center around a new team of Busters working to lift the loads and preform the duties that the original team is getting a little too weary or doughy to do in the 2010s the same way they did in the 1980s. It'll at the very least make it easier to accept any shifts in tone or narrative that happen between the Ghostbusters II of 1989 and the potential third movie of 2013ish. Personally, I've been impressed by some of the names thrown out for consideration to work on the movie and even if it's very different from the first two I believe we'll get something worth shelling out $12 to see.

It's also been rumored that they're going to stick largely with practical effects for the monsters so there won't be too bad of a shift in the visuals.

I'm staying cautiously-optimistic. As I said, I used to be dead-set against it but the more I learn the more confidence I have they could actually pull this off.

• Options
    MDMD Registered User regular
    My mom is obsessively, insanely religious. Ghostbusters were on billboards during the summer of 84. Me being a young kid, riding in my momma's car and her driving, she cautions me upon seeing it that it is a satanic film. She denies saying this almost thirty years later but I remember.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Dan Akroyd's involvement doesn't fill me with confidence either
    But the game had a surprisingly decent script and wrangling some writers from The Office is a pretty good idea
    Can Mindy Kaling be a Ghostbuster?
    I wanna see Mindy Kaling as a Ghostbuster

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    ghostbusters and ghostbusters 2 are basically the same movie

The only difference being that Ghostbusters 1 is a much better same movie.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    just take the cast of the office and dump them into the new ghostbusters movie

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    just take the cast of the office and dump them into the new ghostbusters movie

Really this is the best idea I can think of
    I can't think of anyone on The Office I wouldn't want to see as a Ghostbuster

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    I was flipping through the channels and saw that Bladerunner was on and

I was like, fuck yeah I wonder if androids dream of electric sheep.

Its already about 2/3 through the movie but I'm getting my Daryl Hannah on so it's gravy.

Then it gets to the end scene with Roy and Deckard and it launches into that goddamn narration.

Only then do I realize that I'm watching the original theater release.

Fuck you Deckard! Did you even listen to what he just told you? He let you live because he wanted at least someone to remember him! Not because he suddenly turned good! God what fucking movie have you been watching? He should have let you fucking die you!

My roommate came into the living room to find out why I was yelling at the TV.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Ghostbusters was my first grown up movie in theaters. Up until then all I got to see were G rated cartoons and shit.

In 1984 I offically became a big boy.

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    Like Tears....in the rain...beep boop

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    I'm not too worried about the movie. worst senario? it's a C list movie that opens poorly and no one really gives a shit about it. That's okay, i'll be there to see it opening night anyway.

Also the last non arcade game was awesome and i want another one. kind of in line with the commodore and nintendo version that's a sort of action rpg game focusing on the rookie heading a new ghostbusters franchise in Chicago.

• Options
    Oh I'm not worried either
    Because I don't expect anything from it
    If it turns out barely passable it will be a pleasant surprise

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love how Dan Aykroyd is just batshit insane and actually believes all this supernatural stuff. All of it. That vodka he makes? They pour it over special crystals to imbue it with some kind of power or some shit before they bottle it. This is a thing that the man himself has said.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There's a completely horrible youtube video of me and my two best friends doing a baffling version of the robot while screaming "GHOSTBUSTERS!" in a noraebang.

I would say Ghostbusters is also maybe my favourite film of all time, and definitely one of the two or three I've seen more than any other movie (the other possibilities being Jurassic Park, which I watched on an endless loop for the entirety of 4th grade, and Raiders, which I remember watching for the first time when I was like two).

Also I was thinking of going as a Ghostbuster for Halloween this year! I wish they'd re-release it here so I could see it on the big screen, too.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The Geek wrote:
    I love how Dan Aykroyd is just batshit insane and actually believes all this supernatural stuff. All of it. That vodka he makes? They pour it over special crystals to imbue it with some kind of power or some shit before they bottle it. This is a thing that the man himself has said.

Someone once told me the original idea for ghostbusters involved them going through time fighting spirits with magic wands.

I forget who told me this, but they post here.

• Options
    there were some awful ghostbusters cosplayers at pax this year

their suits seriously looked like they got them from wal mart, I was insulted

• Options
    Geebs, we never played ghostbusters online. Do you hate me?

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

Someone once told me the original idea for ghostbusters involved them going through time fighting spirits with magic wands.

I forget who told me this, but they post here.

well that's not right, I don't think

I think that originally it was set in the future where ghostbusting was commonplace, like they were as accepted as the police or fire department

and like, the sta-puft marshmallow man was like, act one

but then I guess they were like "uhhhhhhhhhh ain't no budget in the world can handle that shit"

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Geebs, we never played ghostbusters online. Do you hate me?

I never played it online with anyone, mostly because I hardly ever have gold hooked up because I hardly ever go online with my xbox

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Mmm, I coulda sworn there was talk of time travel.

• Options
    Damn it geebs, i wanted to bust ghosts with you. You missed some, awesome times.