Options

[DC Comics Thread]: Superman vs. Wizards! Taking all bets!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I am not against a universe reboot at all.

I just despise how the old one was so casually tossed aside.

Yeah, Flashpoint wasn't exactly Crisis on Infinite Earths or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Instead of seeing familiar characters in their finest hour, we saw Barry Allen hang out in an alternate universe and then inadvertently overwrite his universe with a new one.

Surely he didn't overwrite everything. I mean, did he intentionally change Wonder Woman's origin and do the same with the greek gods? What about events in other planets? How did he get there? Why did he change stuff? Why are key events in Batman's history closer together? To accomplish this he'd have to have known about Jason Todd's death by the Joker. I find it difficult to believe he'd have let that happen with his new time traveling super-powers. He's erase it instead IMO. Not to mention Wally West has disappeared from the universe with no explanation, along with Donna Troy. Surely Barry isn't such a dick he'd erase those two from every existing. One was his sidekick and successor, after all. The other was the sidekick for Wonder Woman, one of the DCU's most respected super-heroines.

I don't remember exactly how Flashpoint ended, but I do know that Barry was responsible for rebuilding the previous universe and that he failed to do so (partly because of the interference enigmatic cosmic entity #5532342).

If the story took place at any other point in the company's history, Barry would now be striving to restore things as they were and bring back his friends and family. Instead, because DC decided to reboot everything, a new universe has come to fruition and Barry's old universe has been lost.

Yeah Flash didn't just change the way he interacted with the world on his last trip. He was able to "stitch" together the possibilities of the world. The whole universe changed and it was purely him doing the best he could not picking and choosing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I need to ask something here. I'm usually a Marvel guy, and they're pretty good about the whole multi-verse thing (letting people know what's part of the main cannon and what's not) but I'm not too up to date on DC. As I said, I just read Kingdom Come, so where does that fit in? Also, is the other Alex Ross illustrated trade any good?

What other DC trades are good in general? I've got Arkham: Serious House...., Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond, and now Kingdom Come. I've been eyeballin' Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Killing Joke and Long Halloween. Are those good? Also, what are some good Lantern or Justice League trades or other heroes? I kinda want to expand from just Superman and Batman.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Double post.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Kingdom Come is sort of it's own thing, it's just a possible future story.

Those three trades are all worth reading.

For Green Lantern, that corner of the DC Universe has been pretty good for a long time now. What really kicked off the whole direction of modern GL stuff is Green Lantern: Rebirth.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Kingdom Come is sort of it's own thing, it's just a possible future story.

Those three trades are all worth reading.

For Green Lantern, that corner of the DC Universe has been pretty good for a long time now. What really kicked off the whole direction of modern GL stuff is Green Lantern: Rebirth.

A couple years back DC had been putting more and more of Kingdom Come into the main DCU. They had the KC Superman show up and join the JSA, they brought Magog into it and a bunch of other stuff. All that's gone now that the DCnU is around. That's probably for the best anyway, Kingdom Come is fantastic as a stand-alone and doesn't really need to be part of mainline DC.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    There was also a Kingdom Come sequel that was mostly terrible, though the Offspring one-shot was pretty cool.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I need to ask something here. I'm usually a Marvel guy, and they're pretty good about the whole multi-verse thing (letting people know what's part of the main cannon and what's not) but I'm not too up to date on DC. As I said, I just read Kingdom Come, so where does that fit in? Also, is the other Alex Ross illustrated trade any good?

What other DC trades are good in general? I've got Arkham: Serious House...., Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond, and now Kingdom Come. I've been eyeballin' Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Killing Joke and Long Halloween. Are those good? Also, what are some good Lantern or Justice League trades or other heroes? I kinda want to expand from just Superman and Batman.

Well the first thing to do is burn Hush Beyond. Burn it to ash.

Kingdom Come is barely about superman. I liked it a lot though. I've heard amazing things about MArk Waid's run on the flash. Never got to track it down.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Admittedly the guy who wrote the article is a grumpy nerd, but he backs his up with pretty compelling evidence and plenty of quotes from the guy who is quitting the Superman book after six issues.

Long story short, there's apparently multiple guys at DC who are making multiple and contradictory continuity changes on a monthly basis.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/06/breaking_dcs_new_52_might_not_have_been_completely.php

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    re DC trades, Lex Luthor Man of Steel (or sometimes just "Luthor") is one of my favorite DC books ever.

• Options
    Hows Red Son? Talk about it in the movie thread piqued my interest.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hows Red Son? Talk about it in the movie thread piqued my interest.

It's a good story about Superman landing in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas, and he literally does everything to keep the trains running on time and make communism work, slowly expanding its influence to other countries. Lex Luthor has pretty much never had a better role as Superman's foil, and it's got a really good ending that Grant Morrison gave to Millar.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The epilogue is a little bananas, if you ask me. But it's a great story all around.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Its supermans original origin.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mm, not quite.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Mm, not quite.
    He was sent from a future earth to save us. Correct?

That is the original origin.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, do you mean the original origin of the Red Son Superman, or the original origin of regular Superman?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Both are the same.

The original Superman origin is not that he is an alien from another planet.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Really. I have never heard of that.
    Springing that on us at the end of Red Son was still really bizarre. Kind've a downer too, given the hopes that Jor-L expressed at the very end.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Yeah.

It was changed before the full origin was revealed.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I wonder what Millar's Red Son ending was before Morrison gave him an idea.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Way I heard it Millar wrote the whole thing based on an idea from Morrison.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Superman went to Russia? Wha?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Superman went to Russia? Wha?

Well, his spaceship landed in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas.

Everything else plays out from that.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Red Son is part of DC's Elseworlds series, where they take established characters and play a game of 'what if?', in this case 'what if instead of Kansas Superman landed somewhere in the USSR?'. These stories are short and normally only last 3 or 5 issues. Gives them a chance to tell some great stories without impacting DC proper.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    As a sometimes comic book reader, I loved Red Son. A nice 'What if' scenario that didn't end with Supes turning evil (Well, that part is kinda debatable) The ending was a nice twist too. Also, who wouldn't like..
    Batman wearing a ushanka

Batman_Superman-Red-Son.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Red Son is part of DC's Elseworlds series, where they take established characters and play a game of 'what if?', in this case 'what if instead of Kansas Superman landed somewhere in the USSR?'. These stories are short and normally only last 3 or 5 issues. Gives them a chance to tell some great stories without impacting DC proper.

Yeah Marvel tends to do those as events which is a shame. a Modern What-if series that told stories rather than just blurbs would be cool.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    That is a hammer-and-sickle on his chest! Up is down, left is right!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure there's a version or two where there is a swastika inside of the shield

• Options
    Why?

• Options
    because alternate universes

• Options
    That's really tasteless :?

• Options
    I don't see how

I mean, they aren't portrayed as good guys

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

Grant Morrison's JLA - still very bat/super-centric, but a great serires of stories about all sorts of people and villians.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Grant Morrison's JLA - still very bat/super-centric, but a great serires of stories about all sorts of people and villians.

Things you should check out:
    All-Star Superman
    I'll second Morrison's JLA run
    Green Lantern: Sinestro War
    Green Lantern: Blackest Night
    Find a trade of the original run of 52
    Yes, get Killing Joke and Long Halloween
    You might also want to check out Villains United/Secret Six

I don't know Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Aaaaand DC lives up to my worst expectations.

http://margoism.tumblr.com/post/26205007761/dc-kills-off-gay-green-lanterns-boyfriend-already

I understand the original Alan Scott got his power after a train crash. I get it. I understand that sometimes a hero needs loss to help define him, that they can't win every time.

But he's been gay all of a month and we're already killing off the boyfriend? Seriously? Especially after women in refrigerators shit that STARTED with the last Green Lantern.

Have the damn boyfriend miss the train, for god's sake. Or have him start out single.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I think it shows remarkable equality on DC's part. It actually would be stranger if they didn't kill off his lover like they do for the good ol' heterosexual green lanterns.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    It does sort of seem like a cynical way to present your character as gay without having to show him in a sexual relationship with another man. As long as he remains caught up in mourning and suerheroics, he can remain functionally asexual.

Sort of like how JK Rowling wanted Dumbledore to be gay but depicted him as utterly asexual.

In the end the character's only gay for the press release, not the story itself.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Surely one should wait to see the fallout of this event before jumping to conclusions?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Not that DC really has much benefit of the doubt in its holster.

Lh96QHG.png