As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saints Row: The Third - SEE THE TOP OF OP FOR HUGE WARNINGS BEFORE PLAYING!

• Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    So uh I guess I just played Saints Row 2 for 11 hours straight.

I literally cannot believe it is 5AM,

This is happening to me with Saints Row 1. Even when I force myself to stop, I can't fall asleep so I play a few more activities. I am worried that SR2 will destroy me.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I reinstalled SR2 recently after reading about all the potential fun in here but it always felt like I was forcing my self to play, because of the many annoying issues or things that didn't feel quite right e.g. The car spawning, general chracter fragility, menu clumsiness, slighty sparse feel of the world, rubbish driving physics, frustrating crappiness of most of the diversions.

Thankfully it looks like all my issue with 2 are being fixed for 3. Woop.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I don't really like these new hardware requirements. SR2 runs great on my computer, 2 gigs of ram, a 3.17hz Dual Core, and a GeForce 9600 GT. Now SR3 comes out and the system requirements are almost double that for 'reccomended' and yet it works just fine on a PS3? Something's wrong here, and it's seriously making me consider getting the PS3 version for simple convience and framerate. Unless I'm getting paranoid?

And yes, I am asking if I can run SR3 well without upgrading...
    ...You can run Saint's row 2 with 2 gigs of ram and a graphic card barely better than mine?!

Are you a wizard?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Rock HolidayRock Holiday Registered User regular
    The only spec I ever worry about lately is my graphics card, and here it is:

ATI Radeon HD 5450

My nitpickier e-peen friends have told me it's about as bad as I can get, but so far it runs almost everything fine. Dead Island runs with very minimal graphical problems, for example. That's the only example I can think of right now. So, should I be concerned? (Not that I could get something fancy anytime soon anyway)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    People often forget that "Minimum System Requirements" are stupid and useless.
    heenato wrote:
    You can run Saint's row 2 with 2 gigs of ram and a graphic card barely better than mine?!
    A 9600 is not "barely better than" a 9400. It's, like, 5 times more powerful.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenato wrote:
    You can run Saint's row 2 with 2 gigs of ram and a graphic card barely better than mine?!
    Oh. Really? Well...shows what I know about graphic cards. Still. 2 gigs of ram is pretty amazing.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    I don't really like these new hardware requirements. SR2 runs great on my computer, 2 gigs of ram, a 3.17hz Dual Core, and a GeForce 9600 GT. Now SR3 comes out and the system requirements are almost double that for 'reccomended' and yet it works just fine on a PS3? Something's wrong here, and it's seriously making me consider getting the PS3 version for simple convience and framerate. Unless I'm getting paranoid?

...You can run Saint's row 2 with 2 gigs of ram and a graphic card barely better than mine?!

Are you a wizard?

Apparently I lucked the hell out since my 3.17hz processor is the same speed as an Xbox 360. The faster/slower you get, the more problems you have to fix.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    heenato wrote:

Are you a wizard?
    Apparently I lucked the hell out since my 3.17hz processor is the same speed as an Xbox 360. The faster/slower you get, the more problems you have to fix.
    The new PowerTools just auto fixes it. That worked wonders for me.

It made my game run in slow motion, but my cpu is 3.1GHz so it runs fine for me as is.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    The new PowerTools just auto fixes it. That worked wonders for me.[/quote]Hmm. Maybe I should try it on my own computer again. Maybe with the new powertools, I can get it to run at low at least.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    heenato wrote:
    heenato wrote:
    Oh. Really? Well...shows what I know about graphic cards. Still. 2 gigs of ram is pretty amazing.

A lot of PC ports don't even use more than 2 gigs of RAM by default. I'd be surprised if Saints Row 2 does.

I reinstalled SR2 recently after reading about all the potential fun in here but it always felt like I was forcing my self to play, because of the many annoying issues or things that didn't feel quite right e.g. The car spawning, general chracter fragility, menu clumsiness, slighty sparse feel of the world, rubbish driving physics, frustrating crappiness of most of the diversions.

Thankfully it looks like all my issue with 2 are being fixed for 3. Woop.

I don't agree with most of your points, but the car spawning thing was an issue with SR1 too. I'm less concerned with car spawning than I am with car despawning - a very annoying characteristic that presents itself fully when you are doing chop shop activities. I hope that is, indeed, fixed or changed.

edit: I mean, I know it is unrealistic to expect the game to keep track of all vehicles on the island, or to keep Stillwater fully spawned. The game would probably not even run, but...the spawn/despawn radius needs t be much bigger and invisible to the player. It's one of the few things that easily breaks immersion for the player.

SR1 had a much worse spawn-in-front-of-you-during-a-mission problem. I haven't experienced that in SR2 yet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Drez wrote:

A lot of PC ports don't even use more than 2 gigs of RAM by default. I'd be surprised if Saints Row 2 does.
    SR2 does because of awful programming. If I recall, it doesn't play very well for people under 4 gigs, at least according to idol.

Which reminds me, actually. Anyone got a current link to the powertools beta?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    Drez wrote:

SR2 does because of awful programming. If I recall, it doesn't play very well for people under 4 gigs, at least according to idol.

Which reminds me, actually. Anyone got a current link to the powertools beta?

It has to do with the hosed up way the engine loads data from the hard drive into memory dynamically as you play. If you have an extremely fast hdd like a SSD (solid state drive) that the game resides on you might be able to get away with lower memory. Even a 10,000rpm drive like a cavier black may be enough to make it playable with <4Gb RAM.

Latest powertools beta:
    http://saintsrowpowertools.com/beta.html

For future reference all info about Powertools including setup instructions and beta links can be found in the SR2 PC FAQ that is linked in the OP.

• Options
    Strange, I have exceptionally good frame rate even on the highest setting with 2 gigs of RAM. No SSD drive either. I guess I'm just lucky that way.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    IdolNinja wrote:
    New Insurance Fraud video for Fucked Up Fridays!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/07/fed-up-fridays-insurance-fraud-in-saints-row-3

Shout at the Devil confirmed! :D:D:D

Besides the really cool looking Boss, I think the best part of this is the simple fact that you can get hit while standing up! That was one of the most annoying things in 2, where I'd just miss getting hit by the next car in line, get a spectacular hit from it, and it didn't count. There was an art to cancelling a run/restarting as quickly as you can.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also:

I have an Asus ATI HD 4850 that has been an absolute champ/beast, but I'll probably need to upgrade here soon. My mobo doesn't support Crossfire/SLI and it's a Core 2 Duo, so my computer is definitely showing its age.

The biggest issue, though, is Vista. God damn I want this OS to die.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just beat SR2 for the first time. Hardcore difficulty.
    Of course it came down to a fucking helicopter mission. I can't fly a helicopter to save my life. I loved that they brought back Tobias as your escape driver. Also, glad that Vogel went out like a bitch. It would have been super lame if he had like body armor and a minigun or something like that.

Anyway, totally worth the $20.00.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I ran it fine, although there were those moments where the minimap went black and I had 1 second to dive out the car before the game crashed my PC.

• Options
    Nope. It runs BETTER with the auto powertools, since I could never get the speed correct because I don't actually have a stopwatch anywhere, but it's still not completely playable on my own PC. Obviously I need to upgrade at LEAST my graphic card. Possibly ram too. But the graphic card is probably my biggest problem right now.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Just beat SR2 for the first time. Hardcore difficulty.
    Of course it came down to a fucking helicopter mission. I can't fly a helicopter to save my life. I loved that they brought back Tobias as your escape driver. Also, glad that Vogel went out like a bitch. It would have been super lame if he had like body armor and a minigun or something like that.

Anyway, totally worth the $20.00.

Most satisfying final boss death, ever

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Five observations/thoughts/things about my SR2 marathon last night:

a) At one point I played for like 2 hours without saving. I was mostly doing Chop Shop stuff. Like I got a lot of the rare/annoying vehicles in the chop shop. Guess what? It doesn't autosave when you do that stuff. I didn't THINK it did - I'm a habitual saver - but I didn't see the need to manually save after every vehicle either. Not even the Longhauler.

Well, guess what? I got up to look for money on my desk for a tip for the pizza delivery guy and, guess what? I accidentally shut off the power strip that my PS3 is plugged into. Which meant I lost all that work.

Normally I would cry and brood for days about the unfairness of life and all that, but it is to Saints Row 2's credit that I merely grimaced and went right back into the game.

b) The Activities/Diversions/etc. are so addicting. In fact, I have nearly 20 hours into the game and I'm still only on the third story mission (I only finished Jailbreak and Appointed Defender so far). However, I have almost all the cribs fully decked out, my respect meter is marked as "infinite," and I have a whole slew of upgrades, stashed weapons with unlimited ammo, and then some.

c) Snatch black screen froze on me once after I completed the third level. I had to reboot my PS3 and lost that progress. Thankfully I saved right before it.

d) For some reason, my "played time" did not accrue while I was doing one of the Crowd Controls. I did all six levels in one sitting and it must have taken me 45 minutes to an hour (level 5 was annoying). My save before and after had the same played time. Weird.

e) Trailblazer is so goddamn difficult. The rewards suck too, so I may not even bother finishing it. I'm stuck at 5th level for both. Also, some of the races are really annoying, especially the boat ones.

• Options
    Thankfully, you don't really get anything good by doing races.

• Options
    Rock HolidayRock Holiday Registered User regular
    The vehicles you get are kinda nice, but I think you only need bronze medals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    IdolNinja wrote:
    HRb9v.jpg

Holy cow, is that Wilson Fisk on the front of that jet!?

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm betting on that huge guy being Oleg

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    oh god the GotR store is live baby

i will wear the shirt.

Y9xit.jpg

yes.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    oh god the GotR store is live baby

i will wear the shirt.

Y9xit.jpg

yes.

I'm surprised you're not all over that orbital launcher hat, curly. :D

I put up some wallpapers of the new artwork along with the store info on my site. Link's in my sig.

Tiny versions:
    heraldic_thumb.jpg
    powered_thumb.jpg

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    By George old man. That's some damn fine apparel.

I just figured out the perfect voice they can add to this game:

The Bad Dub. No seriously. How badass would it be to walk through the entire game talking like your from a horrible kung fu dub?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    Everything in that store, I want. I want the glass tankards, I want the hats, I want the shirts, hoodies, and I don't even use a mousepad, but I want it.

Classy as fuck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    IdolNinja wrote:
    SemDp.jpg
    LgA9z.jpg

Invisible mooks?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Those aren't mooks. They're ordinance.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    WubWub Registered User regular
    Less "invisible mooks", more "surprise pavement graffiti". Also this thread is hard to follow now that my updates don't show up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So that appears to be a quad barrel shotgun.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I just finished Saints Row 2. Did everything but Trailblazing level 5 (both areas) and Heli Assault level 6 in one area and didn't touch the other. Skipped most of the races and only collected like 12 CDs and 29 tags. But everything else including DLC. So much fun. Can't wait till the third game comes out,

Still not sure if I should get the PC version or not, but I probably will.

Funny, I beat SR1 on X360, SR2 on PS3, and will probably beat SR3 on PC. :P

Also, I only had two pushbacks in the whole game, and I did get all 45 neighborhoods. Any idea why? I more or less blew through each faction one at a time and had max respect before I even started. Is that why?

• Options
    I hope I can suspend my disbelief for that shotgun. Where are the shells stored? etc

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Suspension of disbelief shouldn't be a problem for a Saints Row fan, I'd think.

• Options
    By now your disbelief should be showing up at your bedroom in a full harness and asking tearfully for the ball gag.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    One of Idol's creations sat on my disbelief and then I never saw it again.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    It shouldn't be a problem, but I know about and shoot guns. I imagine a mechanic would feel the same way if there was no engine compartment on a videogame car.

Anyway, check out this headset and laugh at the names of other things
    http://www.saintsrow.com/sites/saintsrow.com/files/fckeditor_uploads/astro_deckers_ingame.jpg
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/119/1199414p1.html

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Big pussy.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    It shouldn't be a problem, but I know about and shoot guns. I imagine a mechanic would feel the same way if there was no engine compartment on a videogame car.
    I do lots of computer stuff, you don't hear me complaining about Hollywood Hacking.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.