As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksmith 2014 out in October Allegedly! Bass expansion now just $10 on all systems!

• Options
    KathelganKathelgan Registered User regular
    I just picked this up yesterday. Enjoying it so far. I've been playing guitar, slowly and poorly, for about 2 years now. Any advice for a newbie to slowly get better? Is it best to keep working on the technique challenges, or just diving into a song an working on it? Thanks for any tips.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Do whats fun. Thats the best advice. There's a "right" way to do everything, but it doesn't always mean its the right way for you. Guitarists all have quirks, crazy things and methods that would be considered super "wrong".

Learning a song will always teach you things you can use in other songs. Learning scales will always show you things you've noticed in other songs.

Especially in the beginning, do whats enjoyable to you. I personally would do songs first. You'll be able to bust them out at parties, play them for friends and rock out to the track in the game like you're in the band. No one ever is sitting around with their friends and says "You guys wanna hear some scales!?" So learn some tunes, and after you're happy and enjoying yourself, then move into those other things to make you a better player in general.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    Borrowed this from a friend to see if it was worth the cash money, and sure enough...I am VERY surprised how well this actually works. So far just going through the regular progression or 'Rocksmith Recommends' I think they call it, practicing setlists and then playing them as a performance. It really feels fairly balanced between playing a video game and practicing guitar. Of course I always end my night playing through I Got Mine a couple times...pretty close to nailing that I think, which for me personally is an achievement worthy of purchase. Very eager to see exactly how far this can take my guitar playing.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    Shortly after launch one of the RS devs did an AMA on Reddit where he indicated that they had heard the feedback re UI flow and such and were working on a patch. I've been cruising the RS website looking for info on this supposed patch and from what I can tell it will be out around the end of Jan.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I have a question.

Are you penalized for doing whatever you want during a song? Like say I just wanted to practice solo'ing over something, with this I can just sit and play scales over the songs if I want?

that might push me over the edge on if I purchase this.

Also, did they ever patch in the ability to go straight to the full song?

I'm currently working on trying to learn to play lead, mainly messing with scales over backing tracks. Basically I'd be buying this for all the backing tracks heh.

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    In a way you can be punished for skipping things: the game might assume you forgot how or aren't capable of that level of song complexity, so you will see note gems disappear from the screen as it makes the track simpler and simpler for you.

(I hate when that happens. I was like "no wait put that back, I just made a few mistakes. I can do the whole riff, put it back please, let me try again!")

Playing whatever you like between existing note gems won't hurt at all. But I don't know if you can just ignore what it wants you to play without it dumbing things down for you.

MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Have they patched it so you can select/stay at a difficulty?

Also, it has a built in amp simulator right? How is that? And can you record phrases to loop in the back as a backing track?

• Options
    Really curious about the looping in free play. I've been using aplitube for the iPhone for this feature.

Right now in at $40 buy impulse

• Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    If you can get it for 40 I'd probably do it.

The punishment for playing whatever you want also includes having your streak broken so you won't be getting any really high scores doing it but honestly I freestyle a little bit sometimes anyway.

You cannot record / loop your own stuff in any way that I'm aware of.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm almost 100% certain noodling around will not break your streak whatsoever.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Thx everyone. From what I can gather there's no way to record a backing track, loop it, and pkay over it in amp mode :(

But the game seems fun so I'm gonna pick it up now that its $60 at amazon.

Fun fact, this may be unethical but,

Rocksmith at amazon $60 no tax
    Rocksmith at walmart $80 + tax

3 copies at amazon just under $180

Returning 2 copies at walmart with tax, just under $180....

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    getting a toy for free by exploiting a mega retailer? more power to ya!

I don't think you'll regret it. Such a fun game. Don't let my inactivity in the thread lead you to believe otherwise.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This game is something else with an acoustic. Gotta watch that feedback though.

• Options
    Fiddled around with this for a little bit tonight. Pretty fun. Enjoyed it for the little I got to play it

Question, I went into options and selected all songs highest difficulty, but when I go to songs it basic mode and very tone down.

I was happy that playing the full song after figuring it out (in bloom and satisfaction) resulted in no penalties and sounded good.

Also where do you find out what the different notations are?

Ducks is awesome and I'm really looking forward to the mini games /trainers.

Some gripes

It took way too long to get started. Maybe it was ok for the beginners but I should have been able to skip it or something. It was very long.

Also the make some noise. What's the deal with that? It seemed I was playing for 20 minutes. I was playing parts of songs and sometimes it'd go up, sometimes not. Thos went on Then all of a sudden it was big sweeps and over pretty quick.

• Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote:
    Also the make some noise. What's the deal with that? It seemed I was playing for 20 minutes. I was playing parts of songs and sometimes it'd go up, sometimes not. Thos went on Then all of a sudden it was big sweeps and over pretty quick.

Are you talking about accessing the minigames? It literally wants you to make noise. Don't try to play actual music, just make obnoxious noise.

And if you think Ducks is great, wait until you get to Scale Runner and Super Slider.

• Options
    Tommatt wrote:

Are you talking about accessing the minigames? It literally wants you to make noise. Don't try to play actual music, just make obnoxious noise.

And if you think Ducks is great, wait until you get to Scale Runner and Super Slider.

No no, the very first time you turn on the game. After there here's a guitar, tune it! Stuff.

Managed to get 21st in the world on one of the minigames. Might have been baseball.

Liking the game and finding it fun. I just went though some lessons and unlocked trainers.

Is there any way to go straight to the skill challenges without the introduction lesson?

Also any clue why it's not saving the "all songs as top difficulty" thing?

Also, big question, I've never turned on game mode on my tv. Should I for this game?

Also, is there anyway to fix the audio lag from hitting string to hearing it or is that just the nature of the beast?

• Options
    oh that "all songs top difficulty" thing is actually "all songs top achieved difficulty" meaning that it will reset your skill level going into a song to the highest skill level you have ever achieved for that song. Originally they wanted it so that you must prove you can handle it because they figured derpy hooves would turn it to the highest difficulty and then complain the game was too hard and it would hurt sales. There's allegedly a patch in the works that will allow you to set the difficulty.

As far as lag goes there's always going to be a bit of lag, it's the nature of the beast, but there's an insert in the game case (and one of the initial boot-up screens) that tells you how to set your system up to minimize the lag to the point where it's a non-issue. Try game mode out, it might minimize your lag, if not consult the insert.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Tommatt wrote:
    Tommatt wrote:

No no, the very first time you turn on the game. After there here's a guitar, tune it! Stuff.

Oh yeah. I understand why the start of the game is like that and it should be that way, but for those of us who have even the slightest clue of what we're doing, it's super dull.
    Originally they wanted it so that you must prove you can handle it because they figured derpy hooves would turn it to the highest difficulty and then complain the game was too hard and it would hurt sales.

Even if you know how to play guitar, learning the interface takes an hour at least. Even having logged 20 hours with the game I still slip up occasionally trying to remember which color is which string.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    I believe you're helping the game adjust the gain for the your-guitar-is-now-a-USB-microphone adapter, when you do that "make some noise" part.

MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote:

Managed to get 21st in the world on one of the minigames.

Sadly the mini game leader boards are broken. I was #1 in the world on the harmonics challenge for quite a while, but aside from keeping your latest score instead of your highest score, it also frequently resets every couple of weeks or so.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I don't knowing the interface takes that long to get used to. I actually felt comfortable fairly early on. The slow pace is what kills me. All instincts and reflexes go out the window when you hit a not every 5 seconds.

I know it's designed for beginners and that it'll learn as I play it on how much to give me, it's frustrating at first.

I know a guy I work with that's kinda interested in it, but think the game will frustrate him to much with these training wheels for him to enjoy it.

I did all the technique exercises medaling in all but the palm mute one. It doesn't recognize me palm muting for some reason sometimes.

Sucks the leaderboards are messed up, I was all proud of myself. 21st best guitar player in the world bitches!!!!

In a small group of people with the game and on that particular game heh.

Still the positives outway my gripes and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I can't wait to play it when I get home. I'd recommend it to beginners and especially intermediates like myself. Just fun.

If they get out a patch where you can take the training wheels off, that'd be nice. Expert players may be frustrated by the training wheels.

And the mini games rock and are great practice I think.

*edit*

So I got about another hour on so far tonight. Think I've played around total for 4 hours, having played each mini game once (a couple more than once) and hitting level 3 after completing all the songs in the set after the one with go with the flow and higher ground.

Managed to get just enough notes thrown at me on GWTF to hit 70k and get the fx package. (71k I believe).

The encore for that was really fun.

It's starting to throw more stuff at me up front and I'm getting chords to come out in every song nOw at some point.

What's nice is you can indeed improvise. I want you more? (not sure) song I notice was playing what could have been the G minor pentatonic scale. So I'd throw in notes it sounded like was being played or just sounded good. No penalty.

Also with the select highest progress difficulty Thingy, I can dick around any time and hit a button to reset my progress.

Really enjoying this game. I should quit, but I just played those songs and qualified for another show :D

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    yeah I totally agree that the training wheels bored me to death. Pretty sure it took over an hour to get into the actual game the first time I put the game in my xbox. I'm pretty sure when they introduce the bass patch they're going to remove the training wheels.

There's certainly some magic to that feel of progression you get and once you get over the training wheels you find yourself say "just one more song" and then you look at the clock and 2 hours have passed since you said just one more.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wow am I glad I've been practicing/memorizing my scale patterns.

I started playing when I was 16 or so, learned some chords/songs, joined a band, played power chords, learned the Am pentatonic solo. Never went pat this point.

Quit playing when I was 23 or so, with
    Long gaps in between playing. I'd pick it up, put it down, not play for a year. Spend a couple months relearning, play for a bit, not touch it. I'm 30 now, and when RB pro came out I decided to get a squire and the game.

I mean, RB1&2 got me to get a drum set and a couple lessons and learn to play.

Started picking up my acoustics and my Les Paul again.

Stopped playing RB and kept playing my guitars. Got a book of exercises that made scales click.

Keep playing, reading, learning, playing,
    Pratocojg the scales for a bit at a time (lunch break, tv, conversations ok the couch with the GF)

Pick up rocksmith a few days ago.

Going along, playing a note at a time. Within a few hours it starts to throw thing at a higher speed.

I'm seeing the patterns I've learned and can sight read and play.

I can improvise when it's not throwing notes at me.

I can see the patterns and scales and anticipate what's coming next.

Practice your scales. The pentatonic Is all you really need. It does come in handy.

Really enjoyingthis game and easily got my money's worth after another 3 or 4 hours worth tonight. Haven't even touched amp mode really, and have only played each mini hake a few times.

I'd love an expansion pack or something, not a fiull on sequel, with a few UI changes and lessons learned. A RB2 to RB1.

Hope it sold well.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Tommatt, the double spacing between every sentence makes it really hard to read your posts.

• Options
    There's sort of a trend I've been seeing when people talk about this game that even I followed. I was totally skeptical about how well this game would work, bought it thinking "well, I can afford to lose this $80 if it sucks" Then it turns out that it works really well, have a great time with it. "Just one more song" like a dozen times in a row, feel like I got my money's worth out of it just after one or two sessions.

• Options
    Is that song in the intro in the game anywhere? I have some of it figured out but it sounds really awesome

• Options
    Googling has led me to believe into song isn't in game anywhere, and it's just something made up.

Question, is there a way to look at/perform old events? I only see my current 2 options. Also, is every event possible to double encore and is that the only way to unlock songs?

Thx

• Options
    Still haven't found a way to look at old events.

This game is pretty awesome but has some silly decisions on how they made it. Would love to see a RS2

• Options
    I have no idea how much longer I can hold out for my desired $45 price point.

Everything I read about this game makes me think it's amazing and as someone who's played guitar for going on 20 years I need to own it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:

Everything I read about this game makes me think it's amazing and as someone who's played guitar for going on 20 years I need to own it.

Amazon Warehouse Deals has a "Like New" copy for $45. I'll PM you the link.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote:

Just go for it it's awesome fun. I've easily put 8 hours into it already. I was thinking $40 myself but $60 at amazon was good enough.

I may have bought 3 copies @$60 and returned 2 at walmart for $80+ tax

• Options
    Title update coming next week! Will patch all the stuff everybody wants patched. But let's talk about the more interesting news from lead designer Nao Higo's Twitter page - they are not fucking around about adding bass.

(it's not coming in this update, but they're working on it)

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2012
    Looks like my next contract money will come in about the time it appears Bass support will be implemented. I'm waiting, Ubisoft.

also, those are colorful basses.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    How is the amp mode in this? Is it any good?

Ive been doing some recording lately, and I like messing with sounds and stuff. Is it cool enough that maybe I could get some decent effects out of it, and actually use it to record?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    mxmarks wrote:
    How is the amp mode in this? Is it any good?

Ive been doing some recording lately, and I like messing with sounds and stuff. Is it cool enough that maybe I could get some decent effects out of it, and actually use it to record?

I've been curious about that as well, but I think the lag produced by that - minimal though it may be - would cause problems. Playing around with amp mode in-game is great, though.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    Anyone care to share what's in te title update or is it unknown? (at work, so can't go to any sites with info on it it seems)

Also about recording. You could but I'd imagine it wouldn't be that helpful as you have some lag already, you don't have actual pedals so you have to use the controller to turn on and off effects.

If you want a cheap 4 track recorder check out the app Amplitube. I have it and love it (need an adapter that costs like $30 )
    Pretty awesome. The app is "free" but fx cost money (I got the fender pack for $6) and the 4 track recorder is $10. But I've had a ton of fun with it and it is well worth the $50 or so you'll pay if you have your phone and guitar around a lot. Makes a decent practice amp too.

I'm really hoping they make a sequel to this game. So many good things. So much fun, probably gonna play it some more tonigt. Close to unlocking the full charts for a couple songs.

One thing though, as a whole, I gotta say I feel the RB pro charts are much better than these. Especially as a single guitar, play all the parts arrangements. Maybe they need to hire some more musicians if they make a sequel.

So, cheap achievement trick. My GF's son was singing in RB. Afterwards I played this and the mic was still plugged in. Playing and the achievement for singing/playin popped up from the speaker sound getting caught by the mic. Works for me, forgot you could even sing in this game.

One last tidbit, I want crazy train as DLC. Trying to learn that solo now. This could take a few years

• Options
    I got home last night and downloaded a title update and it seems like my progress has been reset. Hit the "reset to highest difficulty achieved" option and it saved but it did nothing.

I'm now back to getting a note every second and having to play songs 3 or 4 times to get enough notes to qualify in the events.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Basses woooooo!

Take all my monies!

Release in Europe already!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    So patch this week right? Do they drop about when xbla stuff drops?

Really looking forward to the fixes to accelerate the charts and/or being able to just select the full chart then failing my down to where I should be.

After watching some RB3 videos this weekend I think I still prefer that interface. When chords start coming in on your chart, and can be very hard to see where your fingers are supposed to go.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Turns out this game isn't yet released in the UK due to a band with the same name.

Fucks sake, twice in one year (same thing happened to Trenched).

Do your fucking research in advance people!

fragglefart.jpg