As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    MvYi8.png

It's now 5-9 per node.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Wha... I guess I'll hold off doing more arch.

• Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    Yep. I'll just wait.

Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    What happened when they added DKs? I barely raided in TBC (just a few annoying Karazhan PUGs was enough pain for me) so I don't really know what the token setup was pre-DK. I didn't pay attention to them as I was just in it for the badges. Was Vanq just druid/mage/rogue back then?

Well, they had already redone the tokens for T6 in the prot/conq/vanq system, so they just added DKs onto the vanq token and upped the drop rate. So yes, Vanq was just druid/mage/rogue.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    Having a single token, usable by all classes, just seems better all around.

Have a tank quit on you? One of your Dmg classes needs time off to spend three weeks in jail for a bar fight? Your healer quits because her husband was having an affair with the girl playing mage? One run through the last tier of farm content and a new person in the raid is geared enough to push new content. It works with high progression guild needs to gear certain classes first. It works with DKP and actually makes DKP "more fair".

Of course it will limit time that raiders spend in a set of content when it's on farm status. Guessing 1 to 2 drops of a token per week (per slot/per boss), that's 3 to 4 weeks for a 10 person raid to get everyone in a tier set and only peripheral gear to worry about. But that's when trinkets/weapons/etc. come into the picture to keep people raiding.

Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yeah, the solution for DKs was just to have vanq drop slightly more often than the other two tokens.

I suppose they could modify relative drop rates again.

Another approach would be to tie tokens to raid roles (i.e. dps token buys dps hats, etc.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    Anyone else play a blood DK? On every fight where we taunt switch (almost all) I have to almost completely stop DPS to avoid getting agro again. It's very frustrating, and they're planning on buffing DK threat from 300-500%. I am not happy.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Is there a good resource for non-set sets and where they drop/quest? Like the purple Judgement set from the TBC dungeons/heroics?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    My druid has that problem too; if I happen to crit a mangle right after the other tank taunts I'll frequently rip it right back.

Especially on rag, whose primary threat seems to tend to stick to one tank for reasons I can't figure out.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    thepotato232thepotato232 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Topia wrote:
    Anyone else play a blood DK? On every fight where we taunt switch (almost all) I have to almost completely stop DPS to avoid getting agro again. It's very frustrating, and they're planning on buffing DK threat from 300-500%. I am not happy.

Is swapping to Frost or Unholy Presence for those bits not a viable tactic?

thepotato232 on
  • Options
    Invisible wrote:
    Is there a good resource for non-set sets and where they drop/quest? Like the purple Judgement set from the TBC dungeons/heroics?

You can find the tier set on wowhead and use the "same model as" tab to find stuff that uses the same model.

That only for the actual tier pieces, though (head/shoulders/chest/legs/gloves), so if you want a matching belt or boots or whatever you'll have to browse manually.

The matching pieces mostly drop in the same tier though, so they usually aren't too hard to find.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Topia wrote:

Is swapping to Frost or Unholy Presence for those bits not a viable tactic?

Can't use rune strike, which is a major chunk of my DPS (for the period of time it's still up while OT, which is most of the time actually, somehow). Also, lose my RP when I switch, waste two GCD, and start taking more than usual damage, putting higher stress on healers, and blah blah blah.

Basically, I just don't want DK threat to be so fucking high that I have to go afk while OT. When it's buffed again I will barely be able to keep diseases up, let alone my blade barrier and mastery shield.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Topia wrote:

They've already done the 300-500% change. And you should only rip threat back from the other Tank on the first Taunt off, because your Vengeance is stacked to Max and his hasn't even started yet. Once you are working above 6 million threat, then pulling off the other Tank should be impossible, and if you are then your other tank is terrible. Tell him to push more buttons, any buttons, when he is tanking if you are pulling off him after a minute into the fight.

• Options
    thepotato232thepotato232 Registered User regular
    Topia wrote:

Can't use rune strike, which is a major chunk of my DPS (for the period of time it's still up while OT, which is most of the time actually, somehow). Also, lose my RP when I switch, waste two GCD, and start taking more than usual damage, putting higher stress on healers, and blah blah blah.

Basically, I just don't want DK threat to be so fucking high that I have to go afk while OT. When it's buffed again I will barely be able to keep diseases up, let alone my blade barrier and mastery shield.

Yeah, I figured it'd be kind of a self-defeating solution, just throwing it out there.

(I bloodtank on occasion, but not at the raid level.)

• Options
    Buddies wrote:
    Topia wrote:

They've already done the 300-500% change. And you should only rip threat back from the other Tank on the first Taunt off, because your Vengeance is stacked to Max and his hasn't even started yet. Once you are working above 6 million threat, then pulling off the other Tank should be impossible, and if you are then your other tank is terrible. Tell him to push more buttons, any buttons, when he is tanking if you are pulling off him after a minute into the fight.

Except he's not terrible, DK threat is actually just that high.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:
    MvYi8.png

It's now 5-9 per node.

What does this increase mean for Dwarfs? Don't we get extra? I usually get 4-6 right now. On my Tauren I get like 3.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Topia wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Topia wrote:

It's no higher than any of the other classes. I'm reluctant to say it's even on Par with the other three considering the state DKs were in at the beginning of Firelands and how a lot of DKs found Alysrazor to be very difficult because their DPS output was/is lower than the other three tanks.

Have a talk with your Co-tank, if you are pulling off him after the second switch then it's a problem with his rotation. It should be impossible outside of cooldown usage to pull off the other Tank when both are using proper rotations, have Vengeance stacked, and have built up a high enough threat between the two of them.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Zython wrote:
    forty wrote:
    What happened when they added DKs? I barely raided in TBC (just a few annoying Karazhan PUGs was enough pain for me) so I don't really know what the token setup was pre-DK. I didn't pay attention to them as I was just in it for the badges. Was Vanq just druid/mage/rogue back then?

Well, they had already redone the tokens for T6 in the prot/conq/vanq system, so they just added DKs onto the vanq token and upped the drop rate. So yes, Vanq was just druid/mage/rogue.
    I don't see why they wouldn't just slightly up the drop rate on whichever token they put Monks on then, if they just do it that way.

Actually, our last 10 man had 80% of the raid on Vanq token. The paladin and shaman had any conq/prot drops to themselves. It's coincidentally ridiculous.

Edit: That's just another reason I loved ToC. Class-agnostic tokens, so they never went to waste.

forty on
  • Options
    Buddies wrote:
    Topia wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Topia wrote:

It's no higher than any of the other classes. I'm reluctant to say it's even on Par with the other three considering the state DKs were in at the beginning of Firelands and how a lot of DKs found Alysrazor to be very difficult because their DPS output was/is lower than the other three tanks.

Have a talk with your Co-tank, if you are pulling off him after the second switch then it's a problem with his rotation. It should be impossible outside of cooldown usage to pull off the other Tank when both are using proper rotations, have Vengeance stacked, and have built up a high enough threat between the two of them.
    How much of the Vengeance stack is left on the other tank in the 25-30 seconds between swaps? It's not uncommon to overaggro after a swap even past the first minute on Rag, I find. Now by the time phase 2 rolls around, it's not really an issue.

There are a lot of variables. We don't know what sort of gear Topia and the other tank are rocking, how their expertise/hit compare, etc.

• Options
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/azjolnerub/Akinos/simple

That's me, so you can see I have as little hit/expertise as possible. I can't imagine my other tank having a less than optimal rotation, and his gear is potentially better than mine.

So do you guys play DK tanks or are you just speculating? I'm looking to see if this is an isolated incident or if it happens to multiple people. Maybe I'm just that good. (I'm not)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I play a DK and I'm definitely careful about attacking after the other tank taunts off me during phase 1 Rag (the only standard 0-threat start tank swap fight we deal with). Generally I'll just stop using Rune Strike while the other tank is going until I fall below 100% threat. I'm also careful not to unload a vengeance-loaded, 100+RP Death Strike soon after his taunt. Basically I'll use the time to reapply diseases with piddly IT/PS damage, dump Heart Strikes to keep up blade barrier, and then DS as long as I'm not creeping too close on threat.

I'm pretty sure he has to cool down his rotation as well after I taunt. When he doesn't -- or when I get really unlucky with whiff streaks (which seems to happen far too often on Rag) -- I find myself having to taunt Rag back again.

Once phase 2 rolls around I don't really pay attention to threat and it usually isn't a problem (although I think there have still been occasional accidental re-aggros).

Edit: Basically this is just the nature of Cataclysm tank swaps, thanks to Vengeance. 4.3 should be resolving it to some extent with the better initial ramp-up.

forty on
  • Options
    Oh I never use RS anymore when OT. Literally keeping BB and Diseases up has me pull aggro again. I've asked him and he has no problem full DPS even after I taunt.

I dunno, maybe something is up. I guess I'll look into it more.

• Options
    Maybe just some unlucky whiff streaks on his part. Rag seems more prone to those than any other boss I've tanked. One of my pulls just last week had my starting 5-6 death strikes whiff. It's fucking infuriating "failing" through no fault of your own.

The whole "+3 mobs have an extra 8% or so parry chance" thing seems like yet another one of those pointless vanilla relics that Blizzard should just remove at this point.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Topia wrote:
    Oh I never use RS anymore when OT. Literally keeping BB and Diseases up has me pull aggro again. I've asked him and he has no problem full DPS even after I taunt.

Got a Link to WoL? What kind of DPS #s is he getting? If you seriously always have to stop everything every time he Taunts then he has a major issue.

Edit: I'll ask my friend if he ever has to stop attacking on Ragnaros, but I doubt he ever does. We both do 13k DPS on that fight, and I know from my side the only time I ever stop attack Ragnaros is when he Taunts off me the first time.

Edit2: I am using SimulationCraft to get an idea of what some prospective recruits would be pulling in Raids. After this discussion I decided to see what it would say my Prot Warrior would pull. It came out with 5899 DPS in my AE Tank Spec(The one I use on Ragnaros). I don't think SimulationCraft knows how to play a Prot Warrior, hahaha. It must not take into consideration my rage generation from getting hit.

Buddies on
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Alternatives:

Have him tank first. By the second taunt, you should be able to occasionally do something.
    Go apeshit when you're tanking. Increasing total threat means taunt will bump his threat even higher.
    Tell him not to worry about debuffing (since your diseases debuff).
    Be less threatening? Maybe try wearing a frilly dress while tanking, that should be suitably pacifying.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Buddies wrote:
    Topia wrote:

Got a Link to WoL? What kind of DPS #s is he getting? If you seriously always have to stop everything every time he Taunts then he has a major issue.

Edit: I'll ask my friend if he ever has to stop attacking on Ragnaros, but I doubt he ever does. We both do 13k DPS on that fight, and I know from my side the only time I ever stop attack Ragnaros is when he Taunts off me the first time.

Edit2: I am using SimulationCraft to get an idea of what some prospective recruits would be pulling in Raids. After this discussion I decided to see what it would say my Prot Warrior would pull. It came out with 5899 DPS in my AE Tank Spec(The one I use on Ragnaros). I don't think SimulationCraft knows how to play a Prot Warrior, hahaha. It must not take into consideration my rage generation from getting hit.
    What does it give for the other tank specs? If I had to guess, I'd suspect it isn't accounting for Vengeance (in addition to rage from incoming damage).

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Topia wrote:

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one this was an issue for. I play a Blood DK, every time there's a tank switch I literally have to stop pushing buttons and do nothing but auto attack until it's my turn to taunt back again. One Death Strike crit will immediately pull threat off the other tank. Obviously Rune Strike as well, but it's more of an issue when I have a dot on me or something and I need to be using Death Strike.

Conversely, when the other tank is also a Blood DK, everything is fine. I have to wait just a bit for them to get vengeance up, but after that it's smooth sailing.

I guess we have insane single target threat to make up for our pisspoor aoe threat. :/

Also, I have 0% hit, 13 Expertise, and I'm still using a 359 weapon. Hm.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    It would also help for the tank that is swapping with you to save any heavy damage attacks until after he taunts. I just know that when I'm in pug raids I have to prevent myself from using a (Paladin) Shield Slam until after that period and I have the mob facing me, any threat generation prior to the taunt is a waste.

• Options
    Also another tankswap story, in T11 I would be the Double Attack tank on Chimaeron. I figured I would just shotgun Death Strikes to build up a ridiculous Blood Shield for when I needed to eat the Double Attack. ...It became troublesome when the other tank couldn't hold threat over me. Or, right after eating the DA, main tank would taunt, I'd death strike to heal up, pull threat.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    (he hits way too hard for any blood shield you could conceivably build to save you anyway)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I used BS after DA to reheal. It was much better.

• Options
    Dibby wrote:
    Also another tankswap story, in T11 I would be the Double Attack tank on Chimaeron. I figured I would just shotgun Death Strikes to build up a ridiculous Blood Shield for when I needed to eat the Double Attack. ...It became troublesome when the other tank couldn't hold threat over me. Or, right after eating the DA, main tank would taunt, I'd death strike to heal up, pull threat.
    Until late in T11, DS healing (and maybe shielding?) caused threat, so the huge DS heals you would get after a double attack caused ridiculous threat issues.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:

You can find the tier set on wowhead and use the "same model as" tab to find stuff that uses the same model.

That only for the actual tier pieces, though (head/shoulders/chest/legs/gloves), so if you want a matching belt or boots or whatever you'll have to browse manually.

The matching pieces mostly drop in the same tier though, so they usually aren't too hard to find.

plus sometimes someone with too much time on their hands has already put a list together in the comments, like this: http://www.wowhead.com/item=27790#comments

• Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    Leveling JC is a little bit like brushing your teeth with steel wool. Actually, it's almost exactly like that.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    It's like punching your wallet in the balls.

• Options
    thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    I got my turtle mount trying to get the Dark Herring for my Salty achievement. When I got the mount, I knew it was time to try somewhere else.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I got my turtle mount trying to get the Dark Herring for my Salty achievement. When I got the mount, I knew it was time to try somewhere else.

I need to get a bot for that achievement.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    (he hits way too hard for any blood shield you could conceivably build to save you anyway)

Blood Shield can stack to a maximum of your max health. i.e., 160k health = Blood Shield can stack to 160k. It won't "save" you but it will definitely soften the blow. Being the DA tank, you aren't taking any damage except when you're taunting for DA... thus giving you ample time to stack it high enough.

At the very least I liked seeing Blood Shield stack so high.

On this subject but somewhat unrelated, have any Blood DKs noticed Recount not properly recording Blood Shield absorbs? Like uh, Baleroc is a good example. I know for a fact that I'm getting Blood Shields up, I know that he tears through them. Recount ends up recording anywhere between 0-4 total absorbs. I can go look up any random Blood DK on Baleroc on Worldoflogs and see Blood Shields being recorded accurately. I dunno, maybe I should just start setting up a WoL thing.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Invisible wrote:

plus sometimes someone with too much time on their hands has already put a list together in the comments, like this: http://www.wowhead.com/item=27790#comments

Yeah, thanks. That's what I've been doing. Got my Shaman planned out and I'm almost done getting the actual pieces for my Hunter. Paladin is still too low to (71) to solo the heroics, but soon. The only one I'm at a lost on is my DK, because I hate their recolor and I tossed out his original armor in frustration a while back.

Invisible on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I has a DK tank. Usually have the opposite problem. If your OT is indeed NOT a bad player, he should have no trouble out threating you. Does he have the 2 pc tank bonus? It's pretty godly for threat. There should be know way that he can't keep it on himself. Is the OT taunt or just using a fixate or something? IDKK

TheCrumblyCracker on