As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Original Total Recall was. . .I mean it had its moments but it isn't a "great" movie. It is as popcorn as it gets, which was great as a kid but damn sitting through it today is - bleah.

This new trailer though - I have no idea who is who when Biel and Beckensale are on the screen. . .

Beckinsale's the wife who was originally played by Sharon Stone. Biel must be a new character.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Original Total Recall was. . .I mean it had its moments but it isn't a "great" movie. It is as popcorn as it gets, which was great as a kid but damn sitting through it today is - bleah.

This new trailer though - I have no idea who is who when Biel and Beckensale are on the screen. . .

Beckinsale's the wife who was originally played by Sharon Stone. Biel must be a new character.

I only have the arnold movie to go by but there was a chick in the resistance in that one too, played by Rachel Ticotin (the reporter from Man On Fire, and a bunch of other stuff)

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Biel must be 'Mileena.'

The original Total Recall wasn't awesome or anything, but it was in love with itself and was pretty open about it. Not many movies even do that these days. This looks more like a politically correct Total Recall with affectations cribbed from lots of modern video games.

I love how Colin Ferrell is playing Ryan Reynolds in this.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Zampanov wrote: »

I only have the arnold movie to go by but there was a chick in the resistance in that one too, played by Rachel Ticotin (the reporter from Man On Fire, and a bunch of other stuff)

Heh. Haven't watched Total Recall for years. Forgot about her completely.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I'll take farrel over reynolds any day of the week.

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Reynolds is a good actor, he just rarely shows it.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Yeah, I don't really get the "ryan reynolds impression" joke

American Action Movie Colin Farrell (action hair included, some assembly required) has been a Farrell staple for awhile. Reynolds was doing pretty much just comedies till Blade: Trinity. Farrell had already done American Outlaws, The Recruit, and SWAT by then. Minority Report and Phone Booth too, if you wanna count those.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Farrel is a fantastic actor, Reynolds is barely more than eye candy in what I've seen of him. He was funny in waiting and had moments of honesty in Buried, but that's it.

Fright Night remake was great because of Farrel, too bad no one saw it.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    you're the worst
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORW1kuxx2xY

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Also I think it's funny how in the trailer farrel is talking about being unhappy with life when he's hooked up with Kate beckinsale and has an amazing view of cyberpunk shanghai in his backyard.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Maybe I'll just watch the Ahnold commentary.

It's so different, you should really watch the main movie, because there are scenes in the second half where you will just go "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" while Arnold is talking.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, I loved the Tomorrow when the war began series.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Maybe I'll just watch the Ahnold commentary.

It's so different, you should really watch the main movie, because there are scenes in the second half where you will just go "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" while Arnold is talking.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sql-aPwX8ac

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Man, you guys. Battleship I'm willing to let go, but that Total Recall looks so watchable. Really cool.

And yeah, the armored cops and robots are straight-the-fuck out of Mass Effect 2. It's Colin Ferrel vs. Cerberus.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrK9S0sOskU

I was waiting for him to say, "I know Kung Fu!"

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I'll just leave this here...

http://youtu.be/_V7BZy-dCyc

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Not a movie but a really good trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC8ovJYAU3U

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Yeah I saw that, and I was sold before the first 45 seconds.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    So Sorkin finally just gives in and actually makes a new Network, rather than just dancing around it?

I'm in.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote: »
    Man, you guys. Battleship I'm willing to let go, but that Total Recall looks so watchable. Really cool.

And yeah, the armored cops and robots are straight-the-fuck out of Mass Effect 2. It's Colin Ferrel vs. Cerberus.

You just sold me on the movie and I haven't even seen the trailer for it, yet.

• Options
    Don't know if this has been posted yet but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGW5gpMU9yo

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here...

http://youtu.be/_V7BZy-dCyc

That

That was actually quite good.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The name guessing scene in the Ted trailer was alright. Otherwise that was a poor attempt at selling it as a comedy. Though I suspect it's 'not for me'.

Does animated teddy bear humping something do it for anyone?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The humping was dumb, but I like the name guessing and the Fuck You, Thunder bits. If there's more of those and less of the "Lol, look at this thing, it thinks its people (Brian, Klaus, Cleveland)" schtick that McFarlane loves it could be a decent film. Good leads at any rate.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Catching up, but:

- Lol, Red Dawn Down Under
    - I'm getting a little tired of movies making fun of LARPers. Sure, I've done my fair share of LARP-bashing, but you know, as a geek, when I make fun of my retarded cousin, it's funny. When non-geeks do it on a huge screen for the benefit of fratboy jockstraps, I get a bit offended. Enough "look at the fuckin' nerds" movies.
    - Seth MacFarlane needs to retire and stop making anything forever.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I thought the trailer was funny, but I think anything longer than a trailer would get old pretty fast.

• Options
    I don't know. That centaur costume showed some serious ingenuity. Might be a decent movie behind that one.

• Options
    I'm-I'm...I'm probably going to see Ted opening night, I can't lie.

I was cracking up a lot through that whole trailer.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The humping was dumb, but I like the name guessing and the Fuck You, Thunder bits. If there's more of those and less of the "Lol, look at this thing, it thinks its people (Brian, Klaus, Cleveland)" schtick that McFarlane loves it could be a decent film. Good leads at any rate.
    ...You mean the Bears from the Cleveland show, right?
    Man, I probably shouldn't be on the forums this early.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    ...You mean the Bears from the Cleveland show, right?
    Man, I probably shouldn't be on the forums this early.

At the risk of explaining the joke, I mean Cleveland himself.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    IIRC, in "Role Models" LARPers were featured pretty extensively but by the end weren't really being made fun of.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

WOLVERIIINEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

oh, wait

If the new Red Dawn remake looked this competent I'd watch it. That trailer was great.

See, I have the opposite opinion, I'm hoping for the Red Dawn remake to be as hammy and ridiculous as possible in the spirit of the original.

If the Communists fire a single shot that's not from the hip the entire movie I will be outraged.

There aren't any Communists in the remake, it's North Korea.

The best part about the original Red Dawn was how nice the Communists were. Like they throw in civilian-execution scenes to make sure you know they're the bad guys, but in between all that the town is up and running in like a day and a half and the Mexican forces are basically letting people go about their business.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just so you know, that's from a book series as well.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Inter_d wrote: »
    Aurich wrote: »

You just sold me on the movie and I haven't even seen the trailer for it, yet.

Yeah, that seems to sum it up nicely. I liked the original, I'm intrigued by the remake. Might catch it just to see what they do with it.

And agreed on the suspension of disbelief that movies in general take liberties with, but that's certainly not restricted to this one.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Ted looked alright... I thought for a minute it was just a re-hash of Wilfred (which is already a re-make in itself) but then I realized the bear was actually alive.

The Newsroom looks fantastic, but I'm a big fan of Studio 60 and Sports Night.

Unicorn City doesn't look as good as Knights of Badassdom, and the main guy looks like a Ryan Kwanten/Ryan Reynolds love child

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Houn wrote: »
    Catching up, but:

- I'm getting a little tired of movies making fun of LARPers. Sure, I've done my fair share of LARP-bashing, but you know, as a geek, when I make fun of my retarded cousin, it's funny. When non-geeks do it on a huge screen for the benefit of fratboy jockstraps, I get a bit offended. Enough "look at the fuckin' nerds" movies.

Sir, I am both a fratboy and wore a jockstrap. Your denigration of our people is uncalled for bro.

Also it'd be cool if all Seth MacFarlan's characters weren't Peter just different voices. Hell use the Peter voice with a completely normal character I dunno!

Also I just finished watching that trailer. It's Willard except Willard is Brian/Roger/Rallo?

He could have just acted in it for real

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's funny, I love it when he does voices on Robot Chicken, but have absolutely no interest in his other animated ventures (for a variety of reasons).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Malkor wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Catching up, but:

Sir, I am both a fratboy and wore a jockstrap. Your denigration of our people is uncalled for bro.

Also it'd be cool if all Seth MacFarlan's characters weren't Peter just different voices. Hell use the Peter voice with a completely normal character I dunno!

Also I just finished watching that trailer. It's Willard except Willard is Brian/Roger/Rallo?

He could have just acted in it for real

My apologies, though if you're frequenting this establishment, I felt it goes without saying that you've risen above the negative cultural trappings of your people.

• Options
    I think this one is his real voice.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I think this one is his real voice.

No, that's the Peter Griffin voice. His normal speaking voice is actually closest to Brian.

This discussion has been closed.