Options

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I would see Triplets. Twins was way more fun that it should have been and Danny Devito is a million times more insane than he used to be.

I think I'd have been interested in Triplets twenty years ago, but not now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Do you think actors hit an age in hollywood, where everything that lands on their desk turns into "Fuck it, lets see where this goes!"? I dont even mean in a broke way, just a..... Ghandi in bloodrayne kind of way.

Depends on the actor. Ben Kingsley has a similar attitude toward acting as Christopher Walken. He'll do the job so long as it doesn't conflict with another job.

At least I'm pretty sure he's answered interview questions to that effect.

Ben Kingsley willingly did a movie for Uwe fucking Boll. He'll say yes to anything.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Now, I hear all this talk about how sequels make the most money and that original movies don't snag nearly as much cash, and to that I say

So What?

Is that only method of validation for a movie its box office return? Should that ever be the metric to go by if your concern is more about the craft of the story or how well the actors/director/writer puts in the effort? Because those don't really converge. There isn't a correlation between the ability to get lots of people to see your movie, and getting the people involved to make a really good movie.

It's simply easier to make a movie people will turn up for than it is to make something that advances the medium, or reveals something about the human ability to wonder, look within, or empathize with a previously unrelatable character or concept. You can aim high, or just aim wide.

So I don't care if Pirates of the Caribbean 4 made Fuck You Money to mars and back. Let them have their Fuck You Money. They've earned it. They had the ability and clout to make absolutely any kind of movie they wanted to make, and they made the one they wanted that would make the money they wanted to make. Good for them. There's simply going to always be more people willing to show up for a middeling piratical drama-quest with a proven lead actor helming a proven franchise than there will ever be for any movie that wants to spread open the cracks of the human soul or make uncertain statements about the nature of life.

You might not like that, but it's very misguided to, on one hand, favor an original work that does quite well for itself, but on the other think that it's wrong a sequel blockbuster makes exponentially more money than it.

MAKING MORE MONEY DOES NOT INVALIDATE A MOVIE THAT HAS SOMETHING BETTER TO SAY.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say great movies get their due, but their due is not in box office returns.

How many people do you think watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and shat it out the back of their brain in less than a month, never to consider it again until the dvd bumpers rolled out for it?

How many people have been emotionally affected by watching a Scorcese movie and have needed to view it multiple times, returning to its themes and discovering how it reads at different stages of their life? Who return to it as a cultural touchstone of a time and a place, a reference to what was being done in cinema as well as, possibly, a reference to the way the world may have looked at itself at a certain point in time? How many people took Scorcese and made their own art out of how he made them look at the world around them? How many actors, authors, artists, musicians, comedians, and more have been fueled by his work in some way?

Fuck the returns. Let em have the big ten in sales. As they say, it's lonely at the top.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Unoriginal box-office hit movies pay the bills for small, original, artsy films. Without Transformers, good movies probably wouldn't get made.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Hollywood, where trickle down economics isn't a fantasy.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure good movies didn't begin getting made once we'd finally figured out blockbusters.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Is the new total recall trailer on youtube yet? Today is launch day right?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Is the new total recall trailer on youtube yet? Today is launch day right?

I think it's sunday

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I think that is part of the joke.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Hollywood, where trickle down economics isn't a fantasy.

It doesn't trickle down much. Even successful directors like Peter Jackson have to fight for proper compensation.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The Dictator just took a turn for the worse. I'd rather see a crazy Middle Eastern dictator than this turn story where somehow no one recognizes him just because he doesn't have a beard. Its rather stupid now.

If a crazy middle eastern dictator came to the US, would you recognize him if he had his beard?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So we may get a sequal to "Twins" called "Triplets" staring Arnold, Devito, and Eddie Murphy.

I don't quite know what to say about this. I mean on one hand it's Danny DeVito coming back to the silver screen but it's such a batshit insane idea.

that's messed up, and Eddie Murphy is definitely the poison pill in this. I guess he's from that era but I just don't get how they can have any chemistry.

My first thought was that Arnold and Devito get killed off in the first 5 minutes, and then it's all pure Murphy gold.

Is gold the word I'm looking for?

NODe on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    NODe wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So we may get a sequal to "Twins" called "Triplets" staring Arnold, Devito, and Eddie Murphy.

I don't quite know what to say about this. I mean on one hand it's Danny DeVito coming back to the silver screen but it's such a batshit insane idea.

that's messed up, and Eddie Murphy is definitely the poison pill in this. I guess he's from that era but I just don't get how they can have any chemistry.

My first thought was that Arnold and Devito get killed off in the first 5 minutes, and then it's all pure Murphy gold.

Is gold the word I'm looking for?

Judging from his last movie, no.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    What was that? 1 thousand words or whatever? I never even saw it advertised or a trailer for it. Crazyness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eddie Murphy is one of those guys that has had enough big money and early success that almost everything generally just bores him now. He's basically sleepwalking through life from here on out.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    What was that? 1 thousand words or whatever? I never even saw it advertised or a trailer for it. Crazyness.

Apparently it's like 3 or 4 years old, they're only releasing it now because of contract deadlines or something.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    total recall trailer up on apple :/
    i dunno, it looks fun but they shouldn't be trying to market it as a total recall reboot as they seem to be doing a completely different story just revolving around the same tech (ie they're not going to mars or anything)
    if anything this is more like future jason bourne

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, it looks completely different than both the movie and the novella.

Also, drops a lot of the comedy.

Aw

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    It's like if Fifth Element met Total Recall met Paycheck.. and Paycheck killed the first two and wore their skin as a suit.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure if you shaved up Ahmadinedouche, stuck him in jeans and a tshirt and had him wander around New York no one would recognize him.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular

WOLVERIIINEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

oh, wait

• Options

oh, wait

If the new Red Dawn remake looked this competent I'd watch it. That trailer was great.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Really? It looks terrible

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Yeah, it looks completely different than both the movie and the novella.

Also, drops a lot of the comedy.

Aw

Prettymuch what I figured. A neutered Total Recall. A Linkin Park Total Recall.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrK9S0sOskU

The cityscape looks nice but otherwise...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    Really? It looks terrible

What looks terrible about it?

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrK9S0sOskU

The cityscape looks nice but otherwise...

Man, I cannot wait until the Blu-Ray release with the Alternate Endings comes out.

• Options
    Huh, interesting. I never saw the original.

That shot where the camera bounces around and he kills all the guys was kinda cool.

• Options
    I'm liking how the 2010's are turning out to be Hollywood's belayed sequel to the 80's. It seems fitting.

• Options
    I think you ought to see the original, Kal.

• Options
    edited April 2012

oh, wait

If the new Red Dawn remake looked this competent I'd watch it. That trailer was great.

See, I have the opposite opinion, I'm hoping for the Red Dawn remake to be as hammy and ridiculous as possible in the spirit of the original.

If the Communists fire a single shot that's not from the hip the entire movie I will be outraged.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    Maybe I'll just watch the Ahnold commentary.

• Options

oh, wait

See, I have the opposite opinion, I'm hoping for the Red Dawn remake to be as hammy and ridiculous as possible in the spirit of the original.

If the Communists fire a single shot that's not from the hip the entire movie I will be outraged.

There aren't any Communists in the remake, it's North Korea.

• Options
    edited April 2012

oh, wait

Close enough to Communists, I'll allow it. Hard to have a Red Dawn remake without Communists or quasi-Communists, after all.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options

oh, wait

Close enough to Communists, I'll allow it. Hard to have a Red Dawn remake without Communists or quasi-Communists, after all.

Supposedly the only changed the antagonists from the Chinese to North Koreans to avoid pissing off China after they finished filming.

• Options

oh, wait

Supposedly the only changed the antagonists from the Chinese to North Koreans to avoid pissing off China after they finished filming.

Ya, that doesn't seem racist at all.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Original Total Recall was. . .I mean it had its moments but it isn't a "great" movie. It is as popcorn as it gets, which was great as a kid but damn sitting through it today is - bleah.

This new trailer though - I have no idea who is who when Biel and Beckensale are on the screen. . .

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
This discussion has been closed.