As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Eh... IDW's G1 was one of the few longform TF mediums where they really explored Transformers beyond the war, and I felt that allowed them (or rather encouraged them) to delve into Transformers on a far deeper level than any series before it. Transformers culture, history, physiology... There has been nothing like it in the whole of the franchise, and to just see it come to an end is bittersweet, especially since I know exactly what the new series is probably going to be (The toyline following "Power of the Prime" is basically "War for Cybertron" only unrelated to the videogames.) So basically a huge regression back to good guys fighting bad guys, which is basically ever other Transformers series, ever.

That said, it'll be nice to have a fully complete series on my shelf. (Well, two, since I have Marvel G1 as well... Need a G2 collection though, IDW!)

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I hope that the success of the IDW series shows that there is room for TF media that isn't just the usual. They have lines of toys aimed at different audiences, hopefully they don't abandon the idea of multiple lines of comics.

• Options
    One thing I'll give them credit for is that they seem willing to make sure they go out right, double shipping THREE Transformers for the entire summer to ensure they get enough room to tell the stories. That's nuts.

• Options
    I wonder if they will more quickly push out collected editions or not. Maybe by Q1 2019?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Finally finished reading vol 2 of Lost Light
    Fuck Getaway so much.

Letting Sunder eat the crew, tearing Atomizer apart, brainwashing the entire ship, bringing on board Star Saber. Plus he was incredibly cruel to Riptide while trying to kill him. Actually First Aid was a bit cruel as well to Riptide. Poor guy can't catch a break.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    comixology sale in case anyone is behind like i am

• Options
    Maybe this makes more sense in one of the more general comic threads, but anyone have success with e-readers at the beach? Thought this summer would be a good chance for me to catch up on a bunch of the transformers stuff I had sitting around but oops it's all electronic. For what it is worth everything is through comixology so I dunno if there is a black/white or contrast mode I'm missing on the app or on the Kindle fire itself.

• Options
    Requiem of the Wreckers is just the single book, correct?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I believe so.

Also did you ever find out an answer for your reader question? I tried reading comics on my old Fire 8" outside on a bright day and it wasn't that bad with the brightness at full. But man did it chew through the battery like crazy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Unfortunately no luck. I ordered some allegedly glare reducing screen covers but it has been raining for the last several days so not real opportunity to try them.

• Options
    Well at least mother nature solved one of your problems.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Have we talked about how much what they did to Kup pisses me right the fuck off?

Because yo, fuck the Visionaries.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999 wrote: »
    Have we talked about how much what they did to Kup pisses me right the fuck off?

Because yo, fuck the Visionaries.

i know of what happened, but not exactly what happened since i didnt read it. is it worse tahn the entire d.void thing?

• Options
    I haven't kept up much. Do I want to be spoiled?
    Sure I do.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I haven't kept up much. Do I want to be spoiled?
    Sure I do.

On which part?

• Options
    What happened to Kup part. My memory isn't good so I do not remember who/what d.void is.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    What happened to Kup part. My memory isn't good so I do not remember who/what d.void is.

This is going back a while so I may be misremembering details
    My strongest memory of the period was horrificly bad art with galavtron. Like bad enough it made me not want to read it. My recollection is the it was a Halloween event crossover that kinda morphed into a bigger bad for some reason. Essentially they wanted zombies in transformers and somehow this is what we got.

There was a big showdown in Vegas (I think?) With Galvatron telling everyone to surrender control of their armies to him so he can save the universe from the big bad. Naturally no one agrees and when d.void shows up they ultimately had to sacrifice Kup and send him to the dead universe for eternity in order to pull d.void into the dead universe and trap it there. Or something.

Honestly I don't recall why Kup was chosen but his one shot spotlight was referenced and I dunno I seriously remember hating it and wondering wtf is going in for a majority of it.

Maybe I'm mentally condensing different events together. Seriously my strongest memory of those books is "this is awful"

• Options

This is going back a while so I may be misremembering details
    My strongest memory of the period was horrificly bad art with galavtron. Like bad enough it made me not want to read it. My recollection is the it was a Halloween event crossover that kinda morphed into a bigger bad for some reason. Essentially they wanted zombies in transformers and somehow this is what we got.

There was a big showdown in Vegas (I think?) With Galvatron telling everyone to surrender control of their armies to him so he can save the universe from the big bad. Naturally no one agrees and when d.void shows up they ultimately had to sacrifice Kup and send him to the dead universe for eternity in order to pull d.void into the dead universe and trap it there. Or something.

Honestly I don't recall why Kup was chosen but his one shot spotlight was referenced and I dunno I seriously remember hating it and wondering wtf is going in for a majority of it.

Maybe I'm mentally condensing different events together. Seriously my strongest memory of those books is "this is awful"
    OHHH!!! You just triggered my memory and I vaguely remember that comic (Spotlight). Yeah that sucked and I had no idea what the heck was going on when I read it. Yeah I agree that sucked. Has something come from that since then? I swore Kup got revived somehow and had to suck on a cigar looking thing otherwise something would go wrong. Or am I also mixing up things?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Spotlight stuff and the D-Void stuff are ancient history.

The most recent thing is, fuck the Visionaries.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999 wrote: »
    Yeah, the Spotlight stuff and the D-Void stuff are ancient history.

The most recent thing is, fuck the Visionaries.

So is visionaries required reading or are things explained sufficiently without it? I haven't touched any of the cross over things at all.

• Options
    Visionaries is only required reading if you like horrible things that are horrible.

I dropped all non-Lost Light from my rotation a while back, right before the Junkions showed up for no reason and were apparently pointless and
    Sideswipe got taken off life support because reasons.

So I didn't read it firsthand. But even then, fuck the Visionaries.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    i may just tfwiki that then. i didnt really have a desire to read them to begin with and sounds like i'll hate myself the entire time if i do

• Options
    Oooh a new guide on reading the comics.

Transformers-Required-Reading-Guide.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    even knowing what most of those titles are...i still dont have a clue how a significant portion of them are supposed to be read. i',m sure part of it is trying to get people to buy it multiple times including "the collected editions in suggested reading order!" which is annoying

• Options
    Yeah, that's more of a "BUY OUR BOOKS, INCLUDE THIS RECENTLY REPACKAGED MATERIAL" than a reading guide.

• Options
    Drat, I saw it on my phone and thought it was like the old one. Looks like it sucks on my desktop. I agree it looks more like an advertisement than a "read in this order" type.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I met Brendan Cahill at Heroescon this weekend and scored an original piece of windblade art. Peep this.

It doesn't come across in this picture, but you can totally see the pencilwork underneath the ink. He also threw in the colored print as well, so I'm gonna frame em up side by side.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    That's rad.

I'm super jealous.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Finished reading Til all are one and I'm kind of sick of Windblade right now.

The book itself may have also been kind of bad, but I enjoyed the Starscream parts and the conclusion to his arc.

Blast Off's sudden love interest came out of nowhere too.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

The book itself may have also been kind of bad, but I enjoyed the Starscream parts and the conclusion to his arc.

I haven't read the 2nd compilation but I mean all the love interests kinda come out of no where given that up to this point characters in general have had minimal "screen time" outside of a select few and romance was essentially non existent for transformers outside of mtmte/lost light.

• Options

I haven't read the 2nd compilation but I mean all the love interests kinda come out of no where given that up to this point characters in general have had minimal "screen time" outside of a select few and romance was essentially non existent for transformers outside of mtmte/lost light.

It just felt thrown in there at the last moment by putting it in volume 3.

At least with Chromedome and Rewind in MTMTE they were introducing the concept of relationships and actually developed it.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options

It just felt thrown in there at the last moment by putting it in volume 3.

At least with Chromedome and Rewind in MTMTE they were introducing the concept of relationships and actually developed it.

The assumption might have been that everyone is reading everything so relationships could show up at any point

• Options
    It's just so...unsatisfying.

Also regarding Windblade, I can't quite grasp why I don't like her.

On one hand I feel she is too perfect and boring. Where as a character it never feels like she's going to lose, which make her victories feel hollow.

But on the other hand she's clearly gone through some shit, like getting her mind trapped in another universe, being blackmailed etc.

Maybe it's just the writing in these books. Maybe Mairghread Scott's writing just isn't for me.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I feel as though there is a lot of hype surrounding TAaO and maybe that is impa ting your opinion? I haven't gotten through it all so maybe I'll end up in the same place

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Lost Light #19

Best panel. Not really a spoiler other than two characters meet.
    b0qkq33ie21l.png

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm slowly catching up and what they've done with Starscream, especially in Till All Are One, has been fantastic!

• Options
    Sadly the rest of Till All Are one kind of sucked.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just started getting the hardcover collections of phase 2, so I'm years behind at this point. Still really good though.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Maybe. I didn't mind it, but the threats keep coming. They keep introducing bigger and badder bad guys, and none of them are as awesome as Megatron is.

And the crises keep coming one after another. I know the pesky humans in the story necessitate things happening in our timescale, but you would think that with a race that is effectively immortal, hundreds of years could pass between zombie titans coming to kill you and missing evil primes coming back to life and also trying to kill you without the events losing any of their urgency rather than mere days or weeks passing between them.

No matter what the media, stupid humans are ruining my grown up enjoyment of the Transformers. :)

• Options
    one thing i wish they expanded on more was exactly what went on during the war. fighting, yes i get it. but was every waking second warfare related (killing, repairing, training, scouting, weapons research, etc)? the existence of M.T.O's i think lends credence to this but were the transformer equivalent of nukes even something megatron wouldn't have done? or at least done more than once? while i will miss the post war stuff, i hope they dive into the war and expand on what a day in the life of an immortal war is