As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I originally got annoyed that Hasbro was getting involved with the TF universe that IDW developed. Then I remembered that basically Hasbro is just doing what it always has and making comics, cartoons and now movies to sell their toys. They did it long ago when all these toys came out and realized that people wanted stories with their toys, but the craze of their toys died and they moved on. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Isn't Jetfire part of something now?

He's in Optimus Prime last I checked, so he's available on Earth.

Scuttlebutt has it they picked him because they were already doing an Optimus Prime release for SDCC (Some skateboarder version of the recent Powermaster OP toy) and wanted a larger figure to stand out against the human sized toys.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I originally got annoyed that Hasbro was getting involved with the TF universe that IDW developed. Then I remembered that basically Hasbro is just doing what it always has and making comics, cartoons and now movies to sell their toys. They did it long ago when all these toys came out and realized that people wanted stories with their toys, but the craze of their toys died and they moved on. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Honestly, aside from a few spots, I think IDW has handled it very well.

The addition of Sky-Byte, Waspinator and Tankor (BM) has been fantastic.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Isn't Jetfire part of something now?

He's in Optimus Prime last I checked, so he's available on Earth.

Scuttlebutt has it they picked him because they were already doing an Optimus Prime release for SDCC (Some skateboarder version of the recent Powermaster OP toy) and wanted a larger figure to stand out against the human sized toys.

Honestly, aside from a few spots, I think IDW has handled it very well.

The addition of Sky-Byte, Waspinator and Tankor (BM) has been fantastic.

Oh the IDW comics are great. Just the whole Revolutions were weird to me after the Transformers story was really interesting. But now that I know that Hasbro has their hands in it that makes sense to me. I'm just hoping that by Hasbro taking a more hands on approach they don't mess things up.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Wait a minute, Visionaries?

Have they done anything with that property since the 80s?

• Options
    It was one of the properties mentioned as being tapped for the Hasbro Film Universe.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    So the "Power of the Primes" toyline got revealed, and stuff that may be relevant to the comics include

Prime Masters: Variants of Titan Masters who hide in "Decoy shells" aka pretender shells, and who each carry the power of one of the 13 Primes. They can interact with larger figures as powerup accessories. The first one they showed was based on G1 Skullgrin, but was Liege Maximo's power. This sounds really close to Blackrock from the comics that I wonder if he wasn't a VERY early seeding of this concept. (Except they went and turned him into a Titan Master)

Leader Evolutions: All of the Leader-class figures will be a smaller, deluxe size figure that can also combine with it's trailer (or whatever else it comes with) to form a "primed-up" version, complete with a matrix of leadership accessory (that can interact with Prime Masters). Rodimus Prime was shown, and Optimus Primal was mentioned as being another figure, having won that vote awhile back. (Current speculation is the smaller figure with be like S1 Beast Wars, while the "primed-up" version will be like Optimal Optimus, but that's just fan theory at the moment.). My hope is that, because we'll be getting several leader figures, we might see the Matrix change hands a few times in the comics. (I still really want to see Arcee with it.)

EDIT: Comic specific news

-GI Joe Unmasked by Aubrey Sitterson and Nelson Daniel
    -Rom and Micronauts by Christos Gage and Paolo Villanelli (no mention of Ryall)
    -Transformers: Till All Are One annual in December by Mairghread Scott and Sara Pitre-Durocher
    -Visionaries by Maggs Visaggio and Fico Ossio
    -In 2018, there will also be a Unicron book
    -Will Inhumanoids show up in the Hasbro universe? No comment.
    -John Barber said that there will be a Transformers annual called "Thundercracker in: Starscream: The Movie," which will give Thundercracker a budget to actually produce a Starscream movie. As Thundercracker has learned about Earth from TV, he wants to begin a screenwriting career, even though all he's learned is terrible writing.

IDW is finally going after the Unicron chestnut I guess.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DNqr7c0.jpg

Welp.

• Options
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Read Transformers Revolution.

I was expecting this to be the main Revolution series, but oh well no big loss, as I wasn't interested in the other series anyway.

The book itself was pretty great though. The Thundercracker, Scavengers and Christmas stories were really good.
    Always love reading about Thundercracker's screen writer antics. I really hope he takes an online course to help him adapt to Earth culture. Like maybe an Literature course.

The Scavengers story had me giggling so much with all the 4th wall breaking by the Dire Wraith.

The protoform in the Christmas special had me super interested, as I was wondering what a baby transformer looked like. Sadly it wasn't really a protoform at all, but a bunch of scraplets that are known to kill Transformers.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I'm not joking when I say the Christmas "special" is now part of my family's Christmas tradition. I love that book.

Just read volume 1 for till all are one
    I feel as though it was over hyped. I love some combaticons but I wish vortex and brawl had more to do. Also is onslaught just dead? I mean with transformers who the hell knows but blast off made it appear that way at the end. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be conjux endura or "just" amica endura either.

The story felt kinda predictable which I don't inherently mind but i saw and heard in a lot of places that it was this mind blowing ride. As a result it was a bit of a let down.

I'm curious how it gets wrapped up though given the nature of combiners in idw. It causes "personality bleed" but how will that work with swindle who is braindead and brawl who is portrayed as braindead.

• Options
    New Humble Bundle with Transformers in it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-vs-gi-joe-comics

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I'm torn. I already own most of the Transformers comics from that bundle that I give a damn about, but it has Til all are one vol 2 and that Jae Lee Transformers vs. G.I. Joe comic I remember liking in the early 2000s.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I finally got around to reading TF prime: rage of the dinobots and beast hunters 1&2. I really miss the prime universe in general. It was also really cool that
    Kept the war for/fall of Cybertron ties to prime. Ultimately also including the show finale ( before beast hunters) into the end of the story. I'd love to see more but I know it won't happen.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I'm torn. I already own most of the Transformers comics from that bundle that I give a damn about, but it has Til all are one vol 2 and that Jae Lee Transformers vs. G.I. Joe comic I remember liking in the early 2000s.

I have the same problem where I own most of these. But figured that having the volumes is nice and that I already saved a bunch from earlier humble bundles so I'm still coming out ahead.

Edit: My only problem is finding a good reader for my Kindle.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    After looking at what's actually collected in that humble book bundle, I think it's a really great deal. It's got all the phase one transformers comics plus a bunch of phase 2 that I missed. Getting it now.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I'm working my way through that Humble Bundle right now, even with the stuff I already had, there is a lot of great stuff there. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Transformers vs Visionaries has been announced.

Apparently this was the status quo change that Mairghread Scott declined to take Till All Are One.

GI Joe: Unmasked has had a name change to "Scarlett's Strike Force" to indicate it's more than just GI Joe and M.A.S.K., given that Skywarp is still hanging out with the Joes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I will have to look into wtf visionaries even is but I am initially opposed since I don't really like crossovers and it was enough to drive someone away from the project. Hope it is good but I'm leery

• Options
    I hate all these damn crossovers.

Just give me my Transformers books by themselves to I don't have to deal with other nonsense and save money.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Wondering how Visionaries would even fit into this whole thing. GI Joe, Transformers, MASK were all set in contemporary times (near future for the post-movie Transformers), Visionaries was some post-apocalyptic future IIRC.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Doesn't Visionaries take place on another planet?

EDIT: Yup, "The story is set on the planet Prysmos" according to the wikipedia article.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Doesn't Visionaries take place on another planet?

EDIT: Yup, "The story is set on the planet Prysmos" according to the wikipedia article.

Mm.. never got that from the original cartoon, but I only saw a few episodes decades ago, so probably missed that.

• Options
    Just finished Megatron Origins.

Is this still canon?

There were some female transformers in the background during a time where I thought there were supposed to be none.

Also after reading the later stories about Megatron's past, it feels a little odd to see him suddenly be a vicious warrior here.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Is this still canon?

There were some female transformers in the background during a time where I thought there were supposed to be none.

Also after reading the later stories about Megatron's past, it feels a little odd to see him suddenly be a vicious warrior here.

More or less. The females are just continuity errors now, and they've extrapolated a lot more about how Megatron cteated the Decepticon idea prior to the mini. They also have explained what started turning him from a peaceful rights activist into what he eventually became.
    Whirl, a police officer acting on orders from the Senate, nearly beat him to death for his populist writings, and it was only the intervention of Orion Pax that stopped Whirl from finishing the job. At that point Megatron decided violence was the only possible way forward.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Is this still canon?

More or less. The females are just continuity errors now, and they've extrapolated a lot more about how Megatron cteated the Decepticon idea prior to the mini. They also have explained what started turning him from a peaceful rights activist into what he eventually became.
    Whirl, a police officer acting on orders from the Senate, nearly beat him to death for his populist writings, and it was only the intervention of Orion Pax that stopped Whirl from finishing the job. At that point Megatron decided violence was the only possible way forward.
    So was that story with whirl set before the events of Megatron Origins?

Also I thought it was Springarm who intervened? Or was there another instance? It's been a while since I've read the flashback from More than Meets the Eye.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Is this still canon?

Also I thought it was Springarm who intervened? Or was there another instance? It's been a while since I've read the flashback from More than Meets the Eye.

Pax sends Springarm to let Megatron go, which is what stops the beating, so we're both right.

As far as timeline stuff, according to the TF Wiki
    Megatron spends his early life hoping to become a medic, but the tenants of Functionalism means that he instead becomes a miner, working at Nova Point. Sickened by the caste-based brutality of Nominus Prime’s Cybertron, Megatron writes a treatise arguing in favor of non-violent dissent and the peaceful exchange of ideas. His ideas prove popular among Cybertron’s menial classes, attracting a growing movement that threatens the sovereignty of the Senate.

While discussing his ideas with his friend Impactor at Maccadam's New Oil House, the two are caught in a bar brawl, accidentally caused by the same time-hopping Autobots from the future. The fight sees both Megatron and Impactor arrested; hoping to use the event to silence Megatron, the Senate send Whirl to visit Megatron’s cell to permanently silence him.

Local police captain Orion Pax manages to arrange for Megatron’s release before Whirl can finish him off, saving his life. Orion discovers Megatron’s readings, and, moved by them, decides to confront the Senate, deciding to 'reclaim' the slur Autobot as short for "autonomous robot.” Orion’s diatribe inspires Shockwave, who has been searching for promising young Cybertronians, to befriend the police captain in the hopes of nudging him into bearing the Matrix of Leadership. Shockwave arranges for his release and repair, adding a new Matrix chamber to his chest in the repair process.

Megatron, however, comes to the realization that peaceful dissent will not be enough to unseat the Senate – and that violence makes a more powerful statement.

(Stuff about Sentinel and the Clampdown)

As part of attempts to limit any future Decepticon uprisings, the Senate has Megatron transferred to an offworld mine on Messatine to limit his influence. There, he meets Terminus, an elderly miner who encourages him to keep writing. Terminus helps smuggle each new work back to Cybertron, continuing the spread of the Decepticon movement. The Senate eventually tries to cut the problem off at the source, deploying Froid and Trepan to try and rewire Megatron’s mind through shadowplay. Megatron escapes the procedure due to a nearby explosion and subsequent evacuation – in reality, the explosion is caused by Brainstorm jumping backwards through time. Afterwards Megatron publishes his magnum opus, Towards Peace, which will eventually become the Decepticon manifesto.

(Stuff about the plot to use Nominus' funeral to end the Decepticon movement)

With Messatine abandoned, Megatron is transferred to Mining Outpost C-12 on Croteus 12. Growing increasingly frustrated with his life, he works there for a period of time until Senator Decimus automates the mine, leaving the miners unemployed. When Decimus and his thuggish police force arrives to announce the closure of the facility, the reaction sparks a riot – and in the chaos, Megatron takes his first life. Megatron and his fellow miners escape in a shuttle to join the illegal gladiatorial games beneath the city of Kaon. Megatron takes over the games and is approached by Soundwave, an emissary of Senator Ratbat, to cause terror throughout Cybertron. Thousands of new Decepticons join the cause, including the Constructicons, who help rebuild the motley collection of gladiators into full-on warriors.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Is this still canon?

Pax sends Springarm to let Megatron go, which is what stops the beating, so we're both right.

As far as timeline stuff, according to the TF Wiki
    Megatron spends his early life hoping to become a medic, but the tenants of Functionalism means that he instead becomes a miner, working at Nova Point. Sickened by the caste-based brutality of Nominus Prime’s Cybertron, Megatron writes a treatise arguing in favor of non-violent dissent and the peaceful exchange of ideas. His ideas prove popular among Cybertron’s menial classes, attracting a growing movement that threatens the sovereignty of the Senate.

While discussing his ideas with his friend Impactor at Maccadam's New Oil House, the two are caught in a bar brawl, accidentally caused by the same time-hopping Autobots from the future. The fight sees both Megatron and Impactor arrested; hoping to use the event to silence Megatron, the Senate send Whirl to visit Megatron’s cell to permanently silence him.

Local police captain Orion Pax manages to arrange for Megatron’s release before Whirl can finish him off, saving his life. Orion discovers Megatron’s readings, and, moved by them, decides to confront the Senate, deciding to 'reclaim' the slur Autobot as short for "autonomous robot.” Orion’s diatribe inspires Shockwave, who has been searching for promising young Cybertronians, to befriend the police captain in the hopes of nudging him into bearing the Matrix of Leadership. Shockwave arranges for his release and repair, adding a new Matrix chamber to his chest in the repair process.

Megatron, however, comes to the realization that peaceful dissent will not be enough to unseat the Senate – and that violence makes a more powerful statement.

(Stuff about Sentinel and the Clampdown)

As part of attempts to limit any future Decepticon uprisings, the Senate has Megatron transferred to an offworld mine on Messatine to limit his influence. There, he meets Terminus, an elderly miner who encourages him to keep writing. Terminus helps smuggle each new work back to Cybertron, continuing the spread of the Decepticon movement. The Senate eventually tries to cut the problem off at the source, deploying Froid and Trepan to try and rewire Megatron’s mind through shadowplay. Megatron escapes the procedure due to a nearby explosion and subsequent evacuation – in reality, the explosion is caused by Brainstorm jumping backwards through time. Afterwards Megatron publishes his magnum opus, Towards Peace, which will eventually become the Decepticon manifesto.

(Stuff about the plot to use Nominus' funeral to end the Decepticon movement)

With Messatine abandoned, Megatron is transferred to Mining Outpost C-12 on Croteus 12. Growing increasingly frustrated with his life, he works there for a period of time until Senator Decimus automates the mine, leaving the miners unemployed. When Decimus and his thuggish police force arrives to announce the closure of the facility, the reaction sparks a riot – and in the chaos, Megatron takes his first life. Megatron and his fellow miners escape in a shuttle to join the illegal gladiatorial games beneath the city of Kaon. Megatron takes over the games and is approached by Soundwave, an emissary of Senator Ratbat, to cause terror throughout Cybertron. Thousands of new Decepticons join the cause, including the Constructicons, who help rebuild the motley collection of gladiators into full-on warriors.
    Ah so it is set after. That makes a lot of sense now.
    After seeing Megatron before and after the war, it's going to suck when IDW eventually makes him a villain again. I find he's more interesting now as someone trying to make amends while struggling to not lose control.

Still need to read Lost Light though. Why are the trades for this series coming out so late? Volume 10 of More than Meets the Eye came out last year!

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    It took a hiatus, didn't it?

• Options
    It did? That sucks.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Working my way through the Humble Bundle of a month ago; it's weird how Phase 1 goes up and down in quality. Just came of the Wrecker-storyline in Volume 6, which was great (I read it before, but not in context around the other issues at that time) and now I'm at Infestation at start Volume 7 and it's terrible.

Meanwhile the G.I. Joe parts of the bundle are also weird (never thought I would have to say that Karen Traviss is writing a better comic than Fred van Lente, but his G.I. Joe volume was just dire.)

• Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Working my way through the Humble Bundle of a month ago; it's weird how Phase 1 goes up and down in quality. Just came of the Wrecker-storyline in Volume 6, which was great (I read it before, but not in context around the other issues at that time) and now I'm at Infestation at start Volume 7 and it's terrible.

Meanwhile the G.I. Joe parts of the bundle are also weird (never thought I would have to say that Karen Traviss is writing a better comic than Fred van Lente, but his G.I. Joe volume was just dire.)

Phase 1 isn't really a phase, it's 3 separate eras, spread over six years, they later combined into a "phase" after finally getting things on track again with RID and MTMTE.

The first was Simon Furman's era where he reinvisioned G1 and set the whole thing in motion. It had it's ups and downs (coughArceesorigincough) but was ultimately well received, but he had to cut his story off quickly because the sales dropped and IDW wanted to go with All Hail Megatron, the second section, which was their attempt to appeal to the G1 audience by remaking the cast into G1 characters, even when it made no sense for the plot. (Constructicons are now combiners, the insecticons, despite having ALREADY SHOWN UP BEFORE, are created during this series) and ironically the first issue sold a single issue more than the last issue of Furman's run. The third was their attempt to restart the thing again with an ongoing series of the Transformers stranded on Earth, but that story wasn't well received either, up until John Roberts did Chaos Theory and set the stage for the changeover to Robots in Disguise and More than Meets the Eye, which were excellent and super well received.

• Options
    This has to be the best information on the IDW TF Universe ever. Also would explain why I was so confused reading all the comics up till about after Dark Cybertron.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    This has to be the best information on the IDW TF Universe ever. Also would explain why I was so confused reading all the comics up till about after Dark Cybertron.

I have access to the TF Wiki, AMA. :wink:

• Options

I have access to the TF Wiki, AMA. :wink:

Every time I go to the TF wikis I end up looking at old G1 toys and remembering the good old days. Then promptly forgetting why I went there or what I read about the comic universes.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I just discovered till all are one has a second volume available on comixology. Gonna need to pick that up. It did get me thinking about combiners in idea though:
    Monstructor - jhiaxus
    Devastator - shockwave(?)
    Menasor - swindle
    Bruticus and others - enigma of combination

Was menasor retconned at all? The first 2 I can sort of understand since they were mad scientists and supposedly the greatest minds the universe has ever know. That can be hand waved. But swindle? What was the excuse for him being able to do it? I haven't read it in a while and I can't check tfwiki until later despite this annoying me NOW

• Options
    I just discovered till all are one has a second volume available on comixology. Gonna need to pick that up. It did get me thinking about combiners in idea though:
    Monstructor - jhiaxus
    Menasor - swindle

Was menasor retconned at all? The first 2 I can sort of understand since they were mad scientists and supposedly the greatest minds the universe has ever know. That can be hand waved. But swindle? What was the excuse for him being able to do it? I haven't read it in a while and I can't check tfwiki until later despite this annoying me NOW
    Swindle is very very good at getting his hands on stolen technology, he used stolen research from Shockwave? to create Menasor. Also Menasor was a complete failure; arms arguing with legs and so on.

• Options
    Monstructor - jhiaxus
    Menasor - swindle

Swindle used bootleg combiner technology, probably gathered from whatever process made Devastator, and it showed. His limbs were poorly compatible and he didn't really gain any mass in combined for. During the Enigma stuff they mentioned they used it on Menesar to make him a "real" combiner."

• Options
    That makes sense. I couldn't recall exactly what the process was just that it happened

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Reread the Jae Lee Transformers Vs G.I.Joe comic for the first time in years.

It was pretty enjoyable I guess. The Transformers themselves felt very cartoony and in character. Also for some reason I now ship Scarlett and Snake Eyes. :P

While I did like the art, it could at times be hard to follow. Partly because everything was so dark, but also because the action didn't transition very well between panels.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg