As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Good review Orik, was really enjoyable to read.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    yeah pretty ace

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Nobody is owed shit. Nobody identifying as a video game enthusiast has the right to complain. They're not advocating for themselves as consumers, and man their chickens are coming home to roost. Yes, they're withholding shit from you! You're gonna buy it anyway.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    It felt like you stopped writing about Mass Effect 3 at some point

But other than that, yeah, it was a good read

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, that's pretty much my criticism. I liked the parts where you talked about ME3 though!

Also, in a critical context, I'm not sure it's ever really appropriate to single out individuals on the grounds that you know them personally, regardless of your disclaimer.

Darric on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Nobody is owed shit. Nobody identifying as a video game enthusiast has the right to complain. They're not advocating for themselves as consumers, and man their chickens are coming home to roost. Yes, they're withholding shit from you! You're gonna buy it anyway.

Nobody votes with their dollar, they'd rather buy shit and then complain about it

it's ridiculous

if you can't have enough self control to not pay for something you feel isn't worth your money, you have nobody but yourself to blame

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Orik, how did you consider the ending bold?

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I guess part of my tax return is going to ME3, since I keep having to tiptoe around these conversations while waiting to play it.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty much my criticism. I liked the parts where you talked about ME3 though!

Also, in a critical context, I'm not sure it's ever really appropriate to single out individuals on the grounds that you know them personally, regardless of your disclaimer.

Well, I don't think there's much productive to say about exclusively this video game with the experience I had. I don't want to write consumer reviews, I write criticism, which is either about patterns in the wider world as related to the text or the inverse. It points to some very important problems in the industry, and I think restricting my scope in this case would be a mistake.

And it is appropriate, because I had called him out as being an awesome writer. Good ethics to point out I know him - otherwise it looks like nepotism.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    So what's with Shepard/Shepherd in that latest article anyway

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    the lord is my shepard, I shall not wrex

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am the only person on that website who spells Shepard's name right

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I need to finish my German Shepard playthrough

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Zipuhd

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    For everything thing I write I come up with like 3 or 4 other articles I'm interested in writing.

Hopefully I'll have this first one done and sent off to the site today or tomorrow.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    debating writing a series of articles as I work on my game.

• Options
    Alright, finally submitted my piece on Journey. Hopefully it's good enough for the site!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To be honest, the review didn't do much for me. It felt like you spent a long time talking about how there were flaws but never really get around to saying what the flaws were. You communicate what you feel was done right better than what you feel was done wrong, at least to me. I think you should have perhaps been a bit harsher, if you feel that the game really is that flawed. It kind of seemed like you held yourself back from expressing the negative side of your criticism.

And I'm not saying this simply because I personally felt that before those last five minutes, the game had been excellent pretty much the whole way through. I didn't really consider it a deeply flawed game but I am open to the opinions of someone who does. Just like I am open to hear reasonable opinions from people who liked the ending even though I didn't care for it myself. It's just that, as I finished reading your piece, I didn't really come out of it with a real understanding of why you describe it as deeply flawed. I think a little more elaboration and support would have helped.

I also didn't experience the technical problems you bring up at all. Don't know if that's cause I was playing on a 360 or a case of luck or whatever. Barely ever even saw texture pop-in.

All this being said though I think you're a good writer and I'm quite interested in seeing how your trilogy run goes. At this point it's not unreasonable to say that taking your character through the trilogy is an important and meaningful part of the experience. I get why you played 3 the way you did but I can't help but feel a little bit sorry for you that you missed out on having your "first time" be with "your" Shepard. I'm sure the fact that my first run through each game was with the same character, exploring the narrative for the first time in that way, means my experience was colored quite differently from your own. If anything I'd say it's where the ME games truly succeed and innovate.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Hey you guys got mentioned in a tweeter that's pretty cool

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Still don't know what to make of that guy

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    yeah i definitely fist pumped/high fived

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Rad

We've got new stuff up about Journey today

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Rad

We've got new stuff up about Journey today

Don't stop believing

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Still don't know what to make of that guy

I think as long as you don't directly confront him with opinions that actively provoke discussion that may disprove him you're generally in his good graces.

I mean he does video game articles for penny arcade when generally the actual comic and news posts do that already not to mention PATV.

He just strikes me as redundant.

Also I wish I wasn't like a year behind on games. I feel like anything I submit to you guys would be outdated.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    hmm

thinking my syndicate review is kind of past its best by date now

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i'm still waiting on my retail copy of syndicate. i love when mail gets lost. renting it is probably the best decision i made that month.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I think there's a place for discussion of older games within a critical framework

Not every article has to be cutting edge

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Make the old game articles edge cutting to compensate.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    wait what's syndicate

I am bad at games keeping up with

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    orikaedumbname what were the things you wanted maybe collected as an epub

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I think there's a place for discussion of older games within a critical framework

Not every article has to be cutting edge

I'm talking about the new syndicate

and as it was a bog-standard review with nothing too critical-thinking about it, I don't think anyone would find it interesting

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    happily, my real podcast that actually has a listener base far larger than we deserve is back. that's mad exciting

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    woh time to write a few articles and jump on the gravy train that's a-comin lol

• Options
    Write what you want to, what you feel passionate about. If it's interesting it gets run. If it isn't then it doesn't.

And if it's really bad, we secretly mock you for a few minutes.

Wait, i wasn't supposed to type that.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I started writing a thing that became unwieldy for a getting my feet wet attempt and binned it. Woo.

• Options
    unbin it

we'd really like to get away from having to scramble for content every day, so if you've got an article brewing throw it out way

we would love if submissions have a critical comment/analysis element as well as a solid rhetorical throughline - a theme and argument that carries the reader through the piece and arrives at a solid conclusion

please don't get intimidated by that, though, dear forumers - we are excellent editors and part of that includes helping you with it. so try your best and send it over.

we love you.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    So I finally read your whole review, @Orikaeshigitae.

Genuine feedback is that it's a good review that is well-written and excellently thought-out. It is insightful and it raises many questions about the way games are reviewed in general.

However, I honestly think that the spoiler-free aspect of the review actually hurt it a bit. For most of the review, I was bobbing my head along, agreeing with you almost entirely, but always with the impression that you were going to review the game in depth later in the review... and then it ended.

As in, the meat of your review actually felt more like preamble, like introduction to your point, and that you were going to back those points with specifics after that. There wasn't much of that and, on reading it through a second time, it actually feels very general.

I know that you were speaking to overall themes and avoiding spoilers, and as such the specifics of the game don't matter as much. But were I a person who didn't know you, who didn't know this site, and who didn't quite understand the philosophy of the site, I would wonder very much if you had in fact played the game at all, or if in fact you had just linked a general attitude about gaming in general to Mass Effect 3 and the vague claims made about its ability (and inability) to do certain things.

Personally, I like the "general theme" thing... but if your hope is for someone to read your review and take it on board when next they set their pen to game-designing-paper, they need to know precisely how and where Mass Effect 3 failed in the ways you are claiming it did. A stated failure by your standards might not be the same for a reader who does not know you, hence the importance of a specific example or two that illustrates and supports your point.

These are just my thoughts so take them for what they are, but I nodded so hard at the whole "race to review" point that you made that maybe it just addled my brains up a bit.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel a similar way, as I posted about earlier in the thread.

I've actually been musing about contributing ever since this whole thing got started, but I'm having a real hard time figuring out what I'd actually like to write about.

I was thinking I could take a shot at reviewing Xenoblade. It's out right away and I've got my preorder ready for launch day. I actually don't really know anything about it so I'll be going in completely blind and without any specific expectations.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Orik if you are scrambling to publish stuff every day, have you thought about updating three times a week instead? It's less pressure and if people know when you are updating its no like you are dicking people around.

Also as thus is where writers and readers of literature and visual media live, I have a question. People were discussing in the ME thread if half life was the Citizen Kane of videogames. (I argued such a game does not exist yet).

But what I was wondering was are there equivalents in other genres? I.e. genre defining works. And if so what are they. Or say with stories, they have existed for so that you can't really give a title like that and it's only something that "new" media can do.

• Options
    the citizin kane of video games isn't a real thing.

it's one of those things peopel go reaching for when trying to legitimize video games to themselves.

This discussion has been closed.