Options

[Nintendo 3DS]: Dillion's Rolling Western, Mario Tennis, Spirit Camera!

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Whatever, ignore this post.

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    There is always an exception to a rule, it's too bad that the 3DS thread couldn't be it. :(

I got an eshop card and downloaded Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, and Sakura Samurai.

Impression time!

Sakura Samurai is balls out awesome. It's like ancient Punchout, only with swords and Seppuku. The story is charming, the characters are cute, and the game is flipping challenging at times. But god do I love it.

Pushmo is probably one of my favorite new games. Super fun and cute puzzler, and he is such an awesome character and fun new addition to Nintendo's ever growing population of original characters. This game will take me a long while to finish.

Mighty Switch Force is the only dud. It's fun, but from what I can tell super short. It's more of an arcade style high score type game. Not much story, annoying main character, and frustrating level design. I don't hate it, but compared to the other two games I grabbed....it just lacks. It's too bad, I generally love WayForwards stuff.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I should really get Sakura Samurai and Pushmo. I haven't even turned my 3DS on for weeks for reasons I cannot comprehend.

And the longer I don't turn it on, the longer I get intimidated by the notion. Something's wrong with me.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Get Sakura Samurai, I cannot stress enough how fantastic the game is.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Considering that the only other 3DS thread I bookmark, the MK7 thread, is dead in the water, and you'd think that'd be a big game...

I almost think 3DS game threads should be banned and all discussion should be in a megathread. But, that's one lowly man's opinion.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Considering that the only other 3DS thread I bookmark, the MK7 thread, is dead in the water, and you'd think that'd be a big game...

I almost think 3DS game threads should be banned and all discussion should be in a megathread. But, that's one lowly man's opinion.

Agreed, the having a bunch of tiny dead threads is just making an unnecessary mess.

• Options
    Is there any way for us to appeal the issue to Rorus Raz?

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Hey everybody, to raise awareness I've made a sig in support of keeping the 3DS thread alive.

The 3DS thread is closing! Contact your local mod, contact the senator, or just add this to your sig.
    -Save the 3DS thread!-

Don't try and fight the rules here. The arguments were made, the decision was final and that was a while ago. As long as somebody is able to make an Eshop thread, that'll pretty much be that same thing anyway. Along with the Swapnote thread and the occasional Mario thread, a Resident Evil thread, etc. That covers things just fine.

Anyway, I just finished the second town in Dillons Rolling Western. Maybe it's not so easy with the guntowers set up as I thought. I mean, I beat it but I didn't expect to at all.

I'm this close to finally beating Find Mii for the fist time. Damn does that last boss have a shit ton of HP. I thought I had found a recurring Streetpass on the way to work but I've haven't walked past them again recently. Damn I need a high level Mii and some Orange magic.
    Quick Q for Find Mii 2, can I rehire the bunnies that were summoned by brown magic? I got lucky and had a level 3 bunny one time. The highest level I've seen yet outside of Green magic.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    My first impressions of Rolling Western were not favorable. I think the graphics are great, and I especially love the art design in every way, but the battle controls once you contact a grok seem to be not very well thought out.

Obviously I'm gonna play it some more since I just spent 10 bucks on it, but the touchscreen controls seem awkward and the beginning of the game does a crappy job of explaining how everything works IMO. I hope it gets better though.

• Options
    EVOL wrote: »

Nah, he said in his post that this goes above him, you could ask Lewie but he'd probably just say mean things to you.

• Options
    EVOL wrote: »

Nah, he said in his post that this goes above him, you could ask Lewie but he'd probably just say mean things to you.

Okay. :( Well, as long as there's a eShop thread...

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Obviously I'm gonna play it some more since I just spent 10 bucks on it, but the touchscreen controls seem awkward and the beginning of the game does a crappy job of explaining how everything works IMO. I hope it gets better though.
    Just know that you can have Dillon change direction while charging a spin by basically drawing a circle while holding the touch screen. Well, it's hard to actually charge the spin while rotating but at least you can still face the enemy and shoot forward. Triggering the combos takes care of the rest, and yeah they don't explain combos until you've finished the first raid and you choose to practice.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    New Iwata Asks for Kid Icarus

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/kidicarus/0/0

The pics look like a respectable man talking to his rebellious teenaged son lol

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Quick Q for Find Mii 2, can I rehire the bunnies that were summoned by brown magic? I got lucky and had a level 3 bunny one time. The highest level I've seen yet outside of Green magic.

Unfortunately, you cannot re-hire the cats/dogs/bunnies. That feature is only for Miis you've picked up in streetpass. You're gonna have a hard time with certain elements of Find Mii 2 if you don't have a wide selection.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There's no fighting the moderation, and really we shouldn't be. Trying to resist or argue only makes things worse.

I think what might be better to focus on is trying to find an alternate solution to specific problems mentioned in the thread that the mods would be tenable to. I mean, I like to think they are reasonable!

Houn says he won't be able to keep up on what 3DS software is worth looking into, and he's right that the other major 3DS game thread for Mario Kart is dead. It's not dead because the 3DS thread exists, it's not like a lot of Mario Kart discussion goes on in here that marginalized the other thread, it just didn't get a lot of PA attention. I expect that other threads would quickly die and be buried as well - Metal Gear Solid 3D, Tales of the Abyss...

I just got MGS 3D and Tales. There's already a Metal Gear thread and there's already a Tales thread, but I'd feel like discussion of the 3DS games in there would be intruding on others' discussions. 3DS owners aren't going to be checking those threads for impressions and discussion of the latest 3DS release, they might not even know a game in the series was released on the platform.

I've seen the MGS discussion over at GAF and any mention of it outside its specific 3DS thread is met with a lot of derision for the fact that it's not the HD release, not 60 FPS, etc. And in the general Metal Gear thread, people could be talking about any game in the series, further minimizing any 3DS-specific discussion.

But a MGS 3D-specific thread would fall off the map after a page of discussion. Probably the same for Tales.

I think another problem is other megathreads, not system-specific, but somewhat megathreads nonetheless. Consistently big multiplayer games and series stay bumped to the main page at all times - League of Legends, Halo, Final Fantasy, Playstation Store, Mass Effect, Video Games Industry, Let's Plays, etc. Regular discussion there pushes smaller releases for a single system off the page and nobody sees it or bothers to search for it (since half the time they don't even know it exists).

These aren't meant to be arguments in favor of a 3DS megathread, since that's off the table. Instead, is there another form of 3DS thread that would be allowed by mods for making this sort of discussion viable? A thread for quick discussion of new releases? Except that's mostly the same thing...

Just looking for a solution. Any input, Rorus?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think the biggest thing is any 3DS game thread needs to start with [3DS] in the title. It'll make it much easier to spot in the mix. If you try to get fancy and wordy with it and put [3DS] anywhere but the front, it'll be harder to find and encourage discussion. Don't forget bookmarks too. Even if a thread is dead, if you keep it bookmarked you can easily see if it's recently been posted in that way.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm going to reuse a lot of the OP for the eShop thread I create once this one gets closed. In that, I'll try and link the most popular other 3DS games threads too. Swapnote, KI:Uprising, MK7, and so forth. Remember that the eShop covers a LOT of games and discussions here. I'm sure we'll all be OK, besides, we always have Swapnote. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    hey you know shinobi is actually really fun and has maybe the best 3d of any game I've played so far

• Options
    Hey everybody, to raise awareness I've made a sig in support of keeping the 3DS thread alive.

The 3DS thread is closing! Contact your local mod, contact the senator, or just add this to your sig.
    -Save the 3DS thread!-

The likelihood of this ever happening decreases dramatically with every whiny sig I see

• Options

I have input. My input is "send a PM to a moderator instead of cluttering the few remaining pages of this thread"

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    hey you know shinobi is actually really fun and has maybe the best 3d of any game I've played so far

I keep hearing mixed reviews, but it does sound up my alley. Great, another 3DS game I have to find time to play. :D

-Save the 3DS thread!-

The likelihood of this ever happening decreases dramatically with every whiny sig I see

LOL! You heard the man, no sig stuff please. :)

I have input. My input is "send a PM to a moderator instead of cluttering the few remaining pages of this thread"

I agree. Let's not try and pursue that which we cannot control. This thread, and the ones prior, have been good but now it's time to move onto newer threads. It's like game companies that release the same game over and over again. Time to let this thread go out on a high note and move on. The coming eShop thread will cover a lot of good games and there's already several threads for MK7, Swapnote, and KI. Just remember to start adding everyone's FC numbers via the SirUltimos site in the OP.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please send PMs regarding the fate of this thread to me. Don't bug Tube about it: this was my thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is Kingdom Hearts 3D going to make use of the Circle Pad Pro? I know its only 20 bucks, but I find it hard to justify purchasing one if Revelations is gonna be the only game I own that uses it.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is Kingdom Hearts 3D going to make use of the Circle Pad Pro? I know its only 20 bucks, but I find it hard to justify purchasing one if Revelations is gonna be the only game I own that uses it.

I think it was on a recent list of games that support it, but I fully expect the CPP to live the lifespan of your average Nintendo accessory, so keep that in mind as well.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Oooh, a quick discussion on the best 3D effects might be interesting.

Out of what I've played I'd say that for wow factor Shinobi, Pilotwings and certain parts of Revelations, Mario 3D Land, and Snake Eater are really good. DoA gets an honorable mention for having really decent 3D...that you want to shut off for the extra framerate. Also I wish Snake Eater maintained 3D during FPS aiming.

For games where the 3D really adds to the actual game the list is much shorter: Mario 3D Land, Pushmo.

The worst 3D I've experienced so far is Tales of the Abyss. It barely ever shows up and when it does it takes away.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

I think it was on a recent list of games that support it, but I fully expect the CPP to live the lifespan of your average Nintendo accessory, so keep that in mind as well.

The other side of the argument is that Nintendo will revise the design of the 3DS to include a right circle pad in the future, making all 1st gen 3DSs obsolete. Guess it depends on if a bunch of games adopt support for the CCP as to whether Nintendo will release a revision.

• Options
    KH 3D is on the list, as is Kid Icarus. That's it I believe for upcoming games, but then again the release schedule is starting to run out of quality after May...

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Oooh, a quick discussion on the best 3D effects might be interesting.

Out of what I've played I'd say that for wow factor Shinobi, Pilotwings and certain parts of Revelations, Mario 3D Land, and Snake Eater are really good. DoA gets an honorable mention for having really decent 3D...that you want to shut off for the extra framerate. Also I wish Snake Eater maintained 3D during FPS aiming.

For games where the 3D really adds to the actual game the list is much shorter: Mario 3D Land, Pushmo.

The worst 3D I've experienced so far is Tales of the Abyss. It barely ever shows up and when it does it takes away.

For Wow factor I'd have to add Xevious as well - the 3d is so simple and powerful in that one. Additionally, Nintendogs really looks great in 3d, I know a lot of people skipped it but the character models are really well done. For adding to gameplay I agree with Mario and Pushmo, I tried Pushmo last night in 2d and it just wasn't the same at all. Oh - the Lego games in 3d look amazing too - being based on a 3d toy just lends itself to the feature. I have Pirates and Star Wars, waiting for Harry Potter to drop in price.

While it's not the Worst, the one I turn off 3d on tends to be Zelda OOT - it's pretty but I find it ghosts and is harder on my eyes than most.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

The other side of the argument is that Nintendo will revise the design of the 3DS to include a right circle pad in the future, making all 1st gen 3DSs obsolete. Guess it depends on if a bunch of games adopt support for the CCP as to whether Nintendo will release a revision.

This will never happen. Nintendo would basically be admitting that they made a poor design choice and punishing early-ish adopters, which would destroy their reputation as the nice-guy family-friendly fun gaming company.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So like I said I got Tales and MGS3. On the same day due to MGS3 release day shipping!

I'm playing Tales first because I haven't played it before. The 3D effect is a bit shallow compared to other games and it's obvious that some textures took a hit in the conversion (I actually watched a scene on Youtube to compare), but overall it is nice looking and I enjoy it. Luke is a dick like everyone says, still need to get some more party members and get to more interesting plot developments.

I played some MGS3 too and it's as good as I remember it. First the bad: jaggies are painful, though lessened somewhat by all the screen effects, and there's low FPS in some scenes. During gameplay though it's generally serviceable, about the same as the original game. I haven't even tried to play without the CCP, so grain of salt there for those who don't have it, but the controls are great while using it. I love that pressure sensitive buttons are gone, no more accidental neck-snapping because you pressed too hard. Instead some d-pad options pop up for knock out, kill, or interrogate. And there is now an aim button and a fire button, no more accidental shooting.

The 3D adds so much to the cutscenes. Everything from the end of Virtuous Mission to the start of the main mission is amazing, with one exception: the post-processing 3D added to the Snake Eater song sequence is kind of hilariously bad. It actually screws with my perception of what's being shown. All the fades and overlaid elements don't work well at all when there's only one level of depth, it's just one rippling image aside from a few elements. I'll probably turn off 3D every time I watch it. The Snake Eater 3D logo disintegrating at the end is great though.

Gamespot gave it an 8, also calling it the definitive version of the game like other publications:
    Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is based on the PlayStation 2 original released in 2004. Much has changed since then, and Snake Eater has been updated to cater to contemporary expectations. It's very much the same game, but the updated controls and visuals make this remake on the 3DS the best version of the game to date.

And in other news, we have some more info on how Game Gear games will look on 3DS.

nQOud.jpg
    The screen shows the various options you can access when playing Game Gear titles: screen mode, system color, ghosting/after image, performance. The system color menu shows options for black, blue, yellow and red.

As detailed yesterday, Sonic & Tales 2, The GG Shinobi and Dragon Crystal will be released on March 14, priced ¥300 each. Sega also said today that Sonic Drift 2 and Columns will be released at some point.

80OKE.jpgIvVI8.jpg
    LQqQU.jpg9yi2B.jpg

Quite a few nice display options there, I wish we had the same for GB/GBC. I'm interested in Dragon Crystal, it's a roguelike and therefore infinitely replayable. :) I played another game in its series on the Genesis which was pretty decent.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:

This will never happen. Nintendo would basically be admitting that they made a poor design choice and punishing early-ish adopters, which would destroy their reputation as the nice-guy family-friendly fun gaming company.

They sort of did it with Motion Plus. I mean, they had an add-on that was ugly that would allow you to play the new games, but built it into new systems. A $40 controller is a bit different than a whole handheld, but still comparable.

• Options

I don't see that happening, personally. The CCP is a controller add-on and nothing more.

It's like arguing that Nintendo was going to start bundling Classic Controllers with all Wii hardware in the future.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    I really liked the 3D effect on Mighty Switch Force and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. The little layers of depth in MSF come across really nicely, and when you catch something in one of the blocks (whether it's you or an enemy), the character comes to the forefront with a crackling glass sounds and it looks like the character is sort of breaking through. It's really well done. Shadow Wars doesn't add a whole lot, but it makes it look a lot more like a 3D board game.

I've played about an hour of Tales of the Abyss, and I'd have to agree with XoB - the 3D effect isn't all that great.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    After watching it on the eShop I'm absolutely dying for Kid Icarus, the multiplayer looks incredible.
    Also I'm debating whether to pick up Mutant Mudds or Digson roll roll armadillo game, can anyone give me a recommendation? (They're both rather expensive).
    Do not get Mutant Mudds. The game is very short and very simplistic. It can be 100% (and I mean 100%, nothing left to do, done) completed in about four hours. Outside of the very last level and two of the throwback stages I thought it was much too easy. On the plus side the 3D is well done and the pixel art is quite charming but that's not enough for me to recommend it at its current price.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Ya know, I was really apprehensive about Mighty Switch Force. I actually didn't like Mighty Flip Champs (and regretted buying it). I also generally dislike games that constantly tell me I suck due to tough ranking systems are difficult par times. But the gameplay videos just looked so much fun, so I bought it despite feeling like it was going to be a mistake.

The game is loads of fun, and the par times really aren't that difficult. This game and Mirror's Edge are 2 of the only games I've ever replayed many times to improve my score.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I wonder how different a 3DS redesign would be...

Okay, so two circle pads, that much is obvious. Would it be thicker, to accommodate the extra buttons? I wouldn't have a problem with that...

And can you imagine if they integrated the stand into it, folding out from the underside? That would be kind of cool.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Actually though the classic controller scenario is ideal for the Circle Pad. Most major games that are not just a lightgun shooter or other designed around the controls of the Wii game uses CC Pro.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think the only acceptable way to include a right circle pad into a 3DS redesign would be doing it as a 3DSxl. It will attract both the people that are holding off on the 3DS because they love their DSiXL so much, and people who think the right circle pad needs to be built-in. At the same time, they leave the current 3DS on the market alongside it, forcing developers to take both audiences into account when designing their control setups, so early adopters don't get fucked. And we'd probably see more CCP support overall.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    They pretty much need the larger frame to fit a better battery in there anyway. An XL model is definitely the sensible way forward provided that Nintendo A) Cares for battery life and B) Wants the extra Circle Pad packed in there. How soon they can manufacture this kind of model for a decent price however is anyone's guess. If they'd have to sell it for more than 200 bucks they're probably just going to abstain from making it until they can price it beneath 200.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Actually though the classic controller scenario is ideal for the Circle Pad. Most major games that are not just a lightgun shooter or other designed around the controls of the Wii game uses CC Pro.

Optionally, of course. All those games you're referring to also support the standard Wii controls.

FU7kFbw.png
This discussion has been closed.