As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Schol Hack: West Marches campagin Recruitment

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Critical Failures
Old School Hack: This is a free rpg inspired by Red Box D&D. It is rules light and easy to learn. The rules are about 8 pages and operates on a simple 2d10+ atribute mechanic with characters also having unique abilities similar to 4E, rested, arena, and always. You can get it here. With permission you can also use things from This expansion. I'll probably OK whatever you want, but ask just in case.

West Marches Campaign:
The idea of the West Marches Campaign comes from here http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/ the idea behind it is simple and I think effective for forum play. There is an area, the West Marches that has various McGuffins and monsters in it. There is also a big group of players, that is, you guys. Unlike the typical D&D campaign these players are not all in one party that is expected to always do everything together like the cast of I Love Lucy. Instead you are more like the cast of Community, sometimes you will all do something, but a lot of the time a subset of you will be off doing your own thing. This means that when you join the campaign you create a character as per normal. You get, for free! a license to explore the West Marches that allows you to go off on adventures. Then once you've created your character you can do a couple of things. 1. Do something around town, spend your money, talk to a mysterious old one eyed man at the tavern, juggle, hire hirelings. 2. Talk to other PCs, share information you've learned, plan adventure! This communication does not have to be in the thread, send each other PMs, email each other etc. if you want, but once you settle on an adventure idea always post it in the thread and give everyone 24 hours so anyone who wants to come can 3. Adventure! Tell me, “Hey, Bob, Tim, and I all want to go out to the ruined monastery of Hesheuphat to see if those monks left behind anything shiny.” The advantage here is 1. If you are busy, you don't have to go off to the ruined monastery of Hesheuphat, you can just stay in town. 2. If you're reading this two months from now and you think it is fun, just sign up you'll just be a new adventurer and can start going off and having fun. This does mean that people will not always be the same level, but dungeon hack characters don't have a huge difference in power between levels so it will be OK.

Setting Overview: Adventures takes place in the former Western Kingdom, now known as The Big Mistake. The Western kingdom was under threat from invasion and brought the greatest wizards of the ages together to cast a powerful spell to save the kingdom. Things did not go well. A magical barrier was created around the whole kingdom but it was too late, the invading army was already inside and were trapped in with them. Powerful magic was released by both sides, killing thousands and reshaping the land. 200 years later the barrier has started to weaken in some places. Fort Donner was established at one of these openings under strict orders to keep anything dangerous inside, but allow anyone stupid enough to go in and return so long as they buy a license and pay a tax on the valuables they bring back.
Fort Donner: Think old western style forts. It is a complete walled city run by General DuSchewitz (Doo-shev-its). Inside most businessess are either run by the military (the barber, a dry goods store), or pay a tax for protection (the various taverns, Madame Lil's (a matronly seamstress who also hosts tea for officers wives but tends to get very confused clients late at night)). The fort has a total garrison of around 350 at any given time, with a further 500 civilians. There area on the outside of the barrier around the fort is filled with hills and valleys where large extended families of farmers live.
The Western Marches: The area inside the mistake. The western kingdom is a large area and fort Donner is not the only entrance. The entrances are far enough away however that no one has traveled between them inside the Marches. Inside the marches no one won the war as order broke down on both sides. Most of the land is unclaimed by anything approaching civilization, but order can be found in some places where a person or group strong enough to enforce it exists. There are tribe of orcs, wizards ruling over villages from a tower above, ruined monasteries where the skeletons of warrior-monks are locked in endless battle with the zombies the men who sought to despoil them. Much was lost that may one day be found, and then sold, for a substantial profit.

The System: Old School Hack, a free and short RPG. Anything from the core is good, things can be used from the fictives talents and templates expansion with permission. There is also the following rules modification for leveling. Instead of leveling based on awesome points you get adventure! points upon the completion of any adventure. This is based on the treasure your party brings back and any heroic stuff you do along the way. Every member of the party gets the same number of adventure! points, otherwise awesome points may be used like normal.
Creating a Character: To create a character first pick a class from the base game or the expansion. If you like the mechanics of a class but not the flavor then feel free to change it. If you like the orc class but you want to be a ogre instead, or just a human bezerker then go for it. Then roll for stats using 2d10, convert that to an ability score, and assign your 6 abilities. Then post here with your character information. Congratulations! That class is now yours! No one else can have it unless they ask you super nicely and you say OK. They may have to compose a poem in your honor. Ideally though everyone can find a different class that they would like to play. If when you level up you want to take a cross class ability from someone else's class you also need their permission for that, but the poem can probably be shorter. Once at least 2 people have created a character I'll create the IC thread complete with a primitive map of whats known, some rumors around the fort and all that good stuff. People can then start plotting adventures with eachother. Each adventure has a leader. This leader is the one who tells me about decisions that the group has made like We are going off to investigate that smoke in the distance. Multiple groups can go on multiple adventures, but I reserve the right to veto ideas in the unlikely event that too many groups are out and I am too busy. If you are out on an adventure and don't respond in enough time that things are getting slowed down in a fight I reserve the right to make a reasonable decision for you such as “You whack the zombie with your axe.”
Tl;dr: An adventurer is you!

Neaden on

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Whelp, you twisted my arm hard enough.

Meet Throgo, the Civilized Goblin!

Stats
    Brawn = +1
    Cunning = +2
    Daring = -2
    Commitment = +1
    Charm = -2
    Awareness = +1

Weapons
    A surprisingly well kept dagger.

Armor
    A thick shirt made of something that is probably leather. Hopefully. (Armor 10)

Gear (1d4+1=3)
    1 sp
    A gemstone
    A stick of dried rats
    25 feet of rope
    A Crowbar
    A warm blanket often used to sleep on the streets
    License to explore West Marches that was won in a completely fair lottery.

Talents
    Shadowkin (focused, anytime) - As long as there is a dark place nearby you can disappear, and anyone attempting to attack you has to make an awareness check vs your cunning. Once in the shadows, your next attack gets +2 and you are now visible.

Advantages
    Can see in the dark
    Very Small
    Speak fluent Monsterese.

Disadvantages
    Hated - A Goblin in a urban area tends to get some looks. They are not nice looks.

Goal
    Find the ancestral homeland of the Goblins.

• Options
    Looks good Cap. Since you are civilized can we expect to see Throgo in a top hat at some point? Also I realized I forgot to say that I am purposefully going to keep the area outside the western marches pretty vague, so feel free to make up some area that you are from and what the culture is like there. Assume standard D&D type technology but if want to come from the gnomish mountains where they ride dirigibles to get to places that's fine.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I have always loved the West Marches concept. Are you planning to run all the adventures, or do you think you might need other DMs to volunteer to run content?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    I was planning on running it myself assuming it doesn't get too out of hand, but I'd be surprised if that many people wanted to play.

• Options
    A sample of the great images you will get to see
    smap.png
    A map of the area around fort Donner.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Aw man I'm interested. I feel like making a Magic User because that's how I roll. I'll try to get the character ready tonight, but it's late so aI may call it quits before it's done. If anyone else comes along and snatches Magic User in the meantime I will be slightly dissapointed in you.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    It's Galric, the glibe; Magic User, not-awful rank.
    But just wait until you see his stats! I've min/maxed them to carry our team to victory!
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3238321/
    Brawn = 0
    Cunning = +2
    Daring = 0
    Commitment = 0
    Charm = -2
    Awareness = +2

Magic User Talent:
    Book of Power: After a few minutes of study, Galric can find a single important fact about any given subject. The fact can be given by the DM or made up on the spot (With DM's approval)

Weapon: A slightly bloodstained rock. The rock has fake eyes drawn on it with ink and Galric calls it Charles. Effective for causing cranial instability in foes. (Light Weapon)

Armor: Galric always wears his lilac robes with mystical symbols on them unless on very special occassions. If you were able to read mystical symbols, you would see that they spell out "Kiss the chef." (No armor)

Gear: A nice warm cloak, a waterskin, dried frog rations, a small knife, Secret Magic Components that are Weird, a scrollcase with lots of paper, a notebook with the words "Don't Read Unless Galric or Charles" on it, flashpowder for impressing the ladies.

Money: 10
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3238339/

Adventuring Goal: Find a spell that can make people like him. And share his opinions. And maybe worship him as a god.

• Options
    Throgo's been a street rat for long enough, and he rigged legitimately won a lottery for a permit to search the Mistake. He has since used some of the cash winnings to get some gear to adventuring with, and he's looking around for someone to go into the Mistake with him.

As he is a kobold, this is proving a difficult task apparently.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i am going to get in on this! i think!

i am going to reverse steps 1 and 2, like the true adventurers of old, rolling stats and then designing the character!
    good lord that was awful.

http://4e.orokos.com/roll/53694

...so this character is pretty much a charmer, not much else. GREAT SUCCESS.

also, 4 silver.

http://4e.orokos.com/roll/53695

Celderielel, the Elf!

brawn -1
    cunning +0
    daring +0
    commitment -2
    charm +2
    awareness +0 (-1, +1 pointed awareness)

Weapons:
    A nimble elven rapier! Might impress someone, but not a swordsman.

Armor:
    A fine and flowing shirt of relatively nice cloth. That is to say, not much. (Armor 8)

Gear:
    A naturally camouflaging cloak,
    some elven waybread,
    a waterskin,
    a small sack of nuts and berries,
    an exquisite cutting knife,
    a pendant from his mother,
    and a lodestone.

Talents:
    Animal Friend (constant) - You can speak with any natural animal of the forest (and a few outside it), though they may not want to be friends. If you do manage to make friends with an animal, it will travel with you and help you out for at least a day, maybe more.

Advantages:
    Pointed Awareness - +1 awareness, +2 to initiative rolls

Disadvantages:
    Restless - Driven to explore and adventure, which is considered weird, among the elves.

Goal:
    Have a song written about him that elves recall for generations. A good song, hopefully, about his heroic deeds.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I am Gilgamesh, The Slayer! (Fighter)

Roll
    Brawn +3
    Cunning -1
    Daring +1
    Commitment +1
    Charm -1
    Awareness 0

Weapon: A Heavy Bastard Sword. Almost as large as the man himself.

Armor: A light chainmail shirt. Cool and breezy. (AC 10)

Gear:
    2 gp 8 sp
    Roll: A Tent
    A bedroll
    A leather flask of wine
    A sack of dried rations and hardcheese
    Some flint and tinder
    3 torches
    A whetstone
    A sewing kit
    Some candles
    And a crowbar

Talents: Armor of scars (constant) - 7 HP and +2 to charm when talking someone out of violence.

Advantages: Steely-eyed - +1 to every roll when trying to hit things.

Disadvantages: Upkeep - Free time is mostly spent training, polishing weapons and armor, and admiring any acquired trophies.

Goal: To be a true hero like the ones in the stories from his youth. Slay the dragon, rescue the princess, collect the biggest treasures, become a living leagend.

(Feel free to corect me if I did something wrong, This will be my first time trying something like this)

Edit: bought a tent.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Hey guys, everything looks good, I'm going to create an IC thread hopefully tonight but I gotta bake a bunch of cookies. Bedlam your character looks good but I would recommend having a more specific goal, even if it is just something like get some cool trophies to impress chicks.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    You still looking for characters? I adore Old School Hack and might be interested in rolling up a Scholar if you're cool with that, if only because it looks like something that would do really well in a Western Marches style thing (and is also a pseudo non-combat guy who can still totally mix it up in combat because this is OSH).

• Options
    edited October 2011
    You still looking for characters? I adore Old School Hack and might be interested in rolling up a Scholar if you're cool with that, if only because it looks like something that would do really well in a Western Marches style thing (and is also a pseudo non-combat guy who can still totally mix it up in combat because this is OSH).
    Yeah, one of the big reasons I chose OSH and the west marches campaign idea is because it would allow people to join in whenever. Remember that while you guys can all run off in a big group, you don't have to. Think of yourselves as a group of vaguely affiliated independent adventurers rather then one concrete party. I was busier then I thought last night but I should have the starting post for IC stuff up soon.
    Edit: IC thread is up http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150661/osh-west-marches-ic

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Awesome, lets see what I can fudge up.
    Okay, this gives me... a [-2], [-1], [0], [0], [+2], and [+4]. Pretty nice selection I guess.

Name: Cecil
    Class: Scholar
    Concept: Dabbler in Forbidden Knowledge

Inherent: Expert Linguist
    Limitation: Curious

Brawn: -2
    Cunning: +0
    Daring: +0
    Commitment: -1
    Charm: +2
    Awareness: +4

Cartographer: Constant. Can accurately read and draw maps. Upon studying a map, can identify one useful conclusion from it that others would miss.

Weapon: A Small Crossbow, suitable for someone of Cecil's underwhelming muscle tone. (Ranged)
    Armor: Light, but hard-wearing leather clothes. Good for exploring ancient catacombs, not good for defending against the catacomb's guardians (AC 8)

Equipment: Specimen containers, journals, reference book
    Gold: 110 (22 x 5, right? Awesome)

Goal: All knowledge is worth knowing. Especially the stuff people don't want you to know. The Western Kingdom's 200 years of closed borders means some extent copies of ancient, heretical, magic or dangerous tomes may yet exist in a form that isn't "burned into a charcoal briquette". Of interest to Cecil are rumors of a religious work that suggests a certain lovey-dovey Sun God used to have a bit of a cruel streak. A notion current priests have been doing everything in their power to quash.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Of interest to Cecil are rumors of a religious work that suggests a certain lovey-dovey Sun God used to have a bit of a cruel streak. A notion current priests have been doing everything in their power to quash.

Looking to expose Pelor the Burning Hate?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Yep, that's the one! Good catch.

Also explains why Cecil was shipped out of his university with a sackful of gold and frantic well-wishes from the faculty.

They didn't want their city to become the new Sodom and/or Gomorrah with the whole rain of fire upon the unbelievers thing. After all if a supposedly "Good" God goes and burns down a whole city and says it was because the city was Evil, who's going to argue?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    You will soon be subject to the things that I think suave adventurers say.
    They would not say these things, if they were actually suave.
    Celd is probably going to say RIDICULOUS THINGS at some point.

• Options
    Throgo is going to follow Cecil EVERYWHERE.

And he's just going to have to live with it, marsh.

• Options
    Good, it'll be fun.

I love having an OOC partner in crime.

• Options
    Soooo... the night passes uneventfully?

Do I find a boat?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Options
    I, too, am interested.

• Options
    As am I?

• Options
    Ready to risk a canoe trip, if Fabulous and Capfalcon are.

• Options
    Yeah sorry about that again. I was trying to get everyone caught up in the same time since some people were going to bed while others were still up and about. How about this, everyone who wants to go to the monastary post on this thread, we can find a rationale for how you found about it.

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Rollin.

Where dat IC thread?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yo.

• Options
    I'd like to investigate the interesting thing.

• Options
    Yeah I'm up for the Monastary.

• Options
    I paid for the boat, so I call not-paddling.

• Options

thanks.

Also here's this:
    Name: Rifke Granitebrau, of the Stonebrau Dwarves of The Spacious Halls of East Under below the Whitetopp Mountains.
    Class: Dwarf
    Concept: While stout of build and long of beard, Rifke is perhaps a bit foolhearty.

Inherent: Fierce & Proud (cannot be pushed, can still be thrown, +1 Commitment)
    Limitation: Proud & Fierce (have a hard time forgiving even the smallest of percieved slights)

Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3267644/ (14, 6, 5, 8, 11, 11)
    Brawn: +2
    Cunning: -1
    Daring: +0
    Commitment: +1 (0 + Fierce&Proud)
    Charm: -2
    Awareness: -1

Braids of the Clan: Constant. Any regular dwarf that you meet, no matter where you are, you happen to know them or know someone that does, and easily have something to talk about. These dwarves are usually eager to provide you with help or information, so you've always got someone to rely on.

Weapon: A large blacksmith's hammer suitable for forging ingots into blades and armor into scrap. (Heavy)
    Armor: An ornate breastplate over chainmail (Heavy, AC 12) and a round buckler adorned with an image of a hammer. (light shield)

Equipment: A small pick, a bag of Dwarven hardbread, a sheep's stomach full of ale, a pewter mug, armor and weapon polish, set of portable scales.
    Gold: (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3267656/) 7GP, 2SP

Goal: Rifke left the great halls of his forefathers to seek out riches and abilities to allow him to smite the dwarf Ori Ironhome, of the Forgehome Dwarves for injustices of the highest beardtangling served upon himself and his honor.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Totally leader no take backs :P

• Options
    Man, why did I think Fabulous was Gilgamesh back there?

Need to work on my reading comprehension.

• Options
    where do you guys think the best place to work my way in is?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I think one or two people are heading to the bar? You could bump into them on the way. Then you guys could join our party or start your own if you wish.

• Options
    Yeah not everyone has to go to the monastery if you don't want to be one giant group.

• Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    After seeing this thread and reading up on the OSH system a bit, I am seriously considering using it for the next time I run a game to give our main DM a break.

So I think I'll be submitting a character to get the hang of things!

<3
  • Options
    So, it's Throgo (Capfalcon), Galric (Sir Fabulous), Cecil (Marsh), and Gilgamesh (Bedlam) heading to the monastery, right?

• Options
    Gonna need a bigger boat.

Although Throgo is a tiny fella. We might be okay.

• Options
    Hm, I 'll let you all go on one boat with the possibility of shennanigans if you try to bring too much loot back.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I suppose Cecil could kick in for a second canoe.

Gonna angle for preferential treasure share treatment though.

Marshmallow on