As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: my tenuous grasp on the mspa thread is nearing its end

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Sorry crwth I don't mean to offend I just

have this incredible irrational hatred of Bleach

A lot of it is based on the animation quality though which isn't applicable to the manga

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Crowbawt wrote:
    Sorry crwth I don't mean to offend I just

have this incredible irrational hatred of Bleach

A lot of it is based on the animation quality though which isn't applicable to the manga
    b5Gb7.jpg

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    i absolutely adore lexxy('s contributions to this flash)

also I have like two days to make a dave godtier costume

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    while hussie could probably use the assistance of an editor

you know what

people say this a lot around here

usually people whose interest in Homestuck has lapsed

but I'm not sure I get it.

Is Homestuck really long? Absolutely. We've established it already has more words than Moby fucking Dick. Is it complex, even convoluted? Totally. It has an absurdly complicated plot, a cast big enough to populate a small town, and more themes and ideas than you can count.

But I don't think that means it needs to be edited down. That's just how the story is. In fact, I don't even know what you could edit out and maintain the general thrust of the story. Every piece is leaning against every other piece like a gargantuan house of cards. I mean, what would people even edit out? Lord English? Some of the trolls? The entire troll session? I feel like you can't lose any of that without losing what Homestuck is, or if you did, you'd have to replace it with something clunkier, like say, long exposition scenes for the purpose of Sburb instead of just seeing it in action in the Troll session.

I feel like "Hussie needs an editor" is usually used as code for "Hussie isn't writing the story I wanted him to write." Because for as huge and labrynthine as Homestuck has become, I can't think of a single major element that could be taken away without making it either a worse story or an entirely different kind of story.

every writer on earth could probably use the assistance of a good editor

it's not just about removing stuff, perhaps not even mostly about removing stuff depending on the editor in question

it's about helping to consolidate ideas and even generate new ones

and I'm sorry speed but Act 5 could use a lot of consolidation

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

you know what

Is Homestuck really long? Absolutely. We've established it already has more words than Moby fucking Dick. Is it complex, even convoluted? Totally. It has an absurdly complicated plot, a cast big enough to populate a small town, and more themes and ideas than you can count.

But I don't think that means it needs to be edited down. That's just how the story is. In fact, I don't even know what you could edit out and maintain the general thrust of the story. Every piece is leaning against every other piece like a gargantuan house of cards. I mean, what would people even edit out? Lord English? Some of the trolls? The entire troll session? I feel like you can't lose any of that without losing what Homestuck is, or if you did, you'd have to replace it with something clunkier, like say, long exposition scenes for the purpose of Sburb instead of just seeing it in action in the Troll session.

I feel like "Hussie needs an editor" is usually used as code for "Hussie isn't writing the story I wanted him to write." Because for as huge and labrynthine as Homestuck has become, I can't think of a single major element that could be taken away without making it either a worse story or an entirely different kind of story.

it's not just about removing stuff, perhaps not even mostly about removing stuff depending on the editor in question

and I disagree with you on that

and I am pretty sure that you inherently can't consolidate something without cutting content

what else would consolidation entail if not that

• Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    okay that's enough good fanarts it's time for what you all really come here for
    DdljV.png[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTZyZTysCY

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The Prospit Dreamers all acended to godhood through the trusting of others

Jade carried by Bec
    John lead there by Vriska
    Vriska brought there by Tavros

While Derse Dreamers got there by sacrificing themselves for the greater good

I'm wondering if that is significant

NeoToma on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    naruto has some surprisingly solid character work, but it's mostly pretty mediocre to bad

one piece is pretty excellent all around, I just don't keep up with it anymore

i forsook naruto long ago

but shikemaru is still p cool

also the sand people

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote:

Jade carried by Bec

Aradia didn't exactly sacrifice herself

she was just kinda there

still though, neat

• Options
    Crowbawt wrote: »
    Miz I still have it installed but I haven't played it in forever mostly cuz' school killed all my freetime basically

Also I'm a very low level

Probably easily crushible

here crow ill help you out look well gather some crystals for this side quest just gotta break lotsa pillars oh whoops looks like you've lost 3/4 of your hp under a pile of rubble did i do that?

ducklett.gif
  • Options

you know what

and I disagree with you on that

and I am pretty sure that you inherently can't consolidate something without cutting content

what else would consolidation entail if not that

technically no

but you can get rid of excess stuff without losing the overall idea

there is a lot of excess stuff in act 5

but, regardless, I'm not an editor or even a writer. but the benefits of an editor as perhaps just someone else to bounce ideas off of can't be understated. perhaps with an editor we wouldn't have gotten 4th wall breaking hussie, which didn't bother me personally as much as others, but was totally unnecessary.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote:

Jade carried by Bec

she was just kinda there

still though, neat

Curse you Aradia
    ruining my theory

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    In fact, I don't even know what you could edit out and maintain the general thrust of the story. Every piece is leaning against every other piece like a gargantuan house of cards.

This is why Drunkstuck is so absurdly long. I am trying to edit it down, and fuck I'm even assuming the reader has at least some memory (sometimes better than mine, as was proven!) of the stuff I'm summarizing.

Suffice it to say, I agree with you.

Also, as Hussie has said plenty of times, and also just recently, Homestuck is a product of its medium (...something I would only have to say here: no pun intended). If it existed in any other form (book, movie, video game) it would be very different.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Jesus, I'm going through the new album (which is fantastic) and even the artwork on each song is just mind-blowing

2506uep.jpg

YES YES YES

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd say hussie breaking the 4th wall was useful for establishing that in the context of the narrative Doc Scratch is considered to be a voice of equal authority to the writer

and even ignoring that it really amounted a harmless joke that didn't meaningfully affect the story in any way, and I'm pretty sure most of the people that complained about it were people that complain about basically every new plot development that happens

To be clear, I'm not saying editors are worthless or anything stupid like that. I'm not even necessarily addressing your post in specific, because I agree that even the best writers could be made better with a good editor. I just think it's silly when people roll their eyes and say "Hussie is in dire need of an editor to tell him when an idea is stupid." Because I don't think that's true in the slightest.

Like, okay. You say there's a lot of excess stuff in act 5. What are some examples?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Jesus, I'm going through the new album (which is fantastic) and even the artwork on each song is just mind-blowing

2506uep.jpg

YES YES YES

that picture is my favorite part of the new album far and away

• Options
    NeoToma wrote:

Jade carried by Bec

she was just kinda there

still though, neat

I would point that Vriska told/made Tavros to take her there, but left the critical decision up to him and he couldn't go through with it.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:

2506uep.jpg

YES YES YES

Indeed, my though I thought about it for a bit and wondered why John is blasting a boom box at his own house.

I half figured he asked his date to go inside so he could see if it's as awesome as he thinks it is.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

2506uep.jpg

YES YES YES

Indeed, my though I thought about it for a bit and wondered why John is blasting a boom box at his own house.

I half figured he asked his date to go inside so he could see if it's as awesome as he thinks it is.

That's alternate dead john

god tier john is sleeping and just woke up in his dream bubble room

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I think most anyone creating anything can benefit tremendously from an editor so long as they are open to the idea and so long as the editor is aware of their client's workflow style. And obviously both have to be competent. A lot of good work is made with the help of an editor. Were I ever to indulge a creative endeavor I think I would eventually want an editor of some sort.

Does Hussie need an editor? Maybe. Homestuck is already quite entertaining but I don't think an editor would seriously impact the quality in a negative manner. Even without paring things down, something I feel Hussie has some difficulty with is staging; things that are meant to be evident are too often not.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

2506uep.jpg

YES YES YES

Oh, and since I drug it up for Drunkstuck:
    AICsO.jpg
    I couldn't find the one where she is both holding up the boom box and has the lyrics, though, just one or the other.

• Options
    This is one of the few webcomics i feel really plays with the medium in a sophisticated way.

The frame size change in the animation.
    Changing the site for layout for Doc's intermission
    Telling a parallel story in banner ads
    The flash games

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Mizuumi wrote:
    DdljV.png[/img]

miz did you upload that just for me

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Even without paring things down, something I feel Hussie has some difficulty with is staging; things that are meant to be evident are too often not.

And as much as we all enjoy them, the Flash animations can be especially problematic in this regard.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    ASimPerson wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    2506uep.jpg

YES YES YES

That's alternate dead john

god tier john is sleeping and just woke up in his dream bubble room

That works. You have to admit the idea of John asking his date to do that is at least kind of funny.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    I think most anyone creating anything can benefit tremendously from an editor so long as they are open to the idea and so long as the editor is aware of their client's workflow style. And obviously both have to be competent. A lot of good work is made with the help of an editor. Were I ever to indulge a creative endeavor I think I would eventually want an editor of some sort.

Does Hussie need an editor? Maybe. Homestuck is already quite entertaining but I don't think an editor would seriously impact the quality in a negative manner. Even without paring things down, something I feel Hussie has some difficulty with is staging; things that are meant to be evident are too often not.

I think that's a problem that mainly arises from reading it as it's posted

because for instance a big flash goes up and there are some confusing details and we're left spinning in the wind while the explanation is doled out a page at a time over a few weeks

whereas when you're reading it as a cohesive whole you watch the confusing flash, get all of the exposition, and can then go back and rewatch the flash with the new contextualization, and understand it in the space of ten minutes.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote:
    Even without paring things down, something I feel Hussie has some difficulty with is staging; things that are meant to be evident are too often not.

And as much as we all enjoy them, the Flash animations can be especially problematic in this regard.

The argument is that you can just rewatch a flash until you get everything but I don't particularly care for that argument. You shouldn't lose out on the full emotional impact of something important because it passed by too quickly or was shown in an unclear manner.

• Options
    I'd say hussie breaking the 4th wall was useful for establishing that in the context of the narrative Doc Scratch is considered to be a voice of equal authority to the writer

and even ignoring that it really amounted a harmless joke that didn't meaningfully affect the story in any way, and I'm pretty sure most of the people that complained about it were people that complain about basically every new plot development that happens

To be clear, I'm not saying editors are worthless or anything stupid like that. I'm not even necessarily addressing your post in specific, because I agree that even the best writers could be made better with a good editor. I just think it's silly when people roll their eyes and say "Hussie is in dire need of an editor to tell him when an idea is stupid." Because I don't think that's true in the slightest.

Like, okay. You say there's a lot of excess stuff in act 5. What are some examples?

Well, 4th wall breaking Hussie is probably the largest example. We don't need to know Scratch is an equal authority to the writer. It has no purpose in the story whatsoever.

There are also a lot of chatlogs that could probably be slimmed down as well. I like chatlogs, but some of them are really goddamn long. Not every single thing in homestuck needs to be critical to the plot, and humor is super important to the story as well, but it just got ridiculous at points. Never to a point that bothered me personally, but when you have a single act taking up as much (more?) space than the other 4 combined it either means you probably should have broken the act up or slimmed it down some.

I feel some of this also comes via the nature of a webcomic. With a book, you can go back and modify previous chapters before actually releasing the completed product. This doesn't happen with a webcomic without potentially alienating older readers. If Hussie has been writing a book, we probably would have seen a more even spread of stuff between acts. But hindsight is 20/20 with a webcomic.

I'll be able to provide more examples of excess in act 5 as I continue to read through it.

• Options
    but see those examples also showcase why nothing needs to be cut

4th wall hussie was fucking hilarious

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Stilts wrote:

The argument is that you can just rewatch a flash until you get everything but I don't particularly care for that argument. You shouldn't lose out on the full emotional impact of something important because it passed by too quickly or was shown in an unclear manner.

There really shouldn't have been any doubt whatsoever that the Green Sun was being created. It's such a critical and important plot point that you shouldn't require a re-watch to understand it. The most recent tumblr makes it seem like this is a result of everyone expecting an explosion, but that this wasn't taken into account when making the flash isn't necessarily a positive.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    but see those examples also showcase why nothing needs to be cut

4th wall hussie was fucking hilarious

I didn't mind it but it was not hilarious to me

I loved it when he was being watched through the 4th wall, but when he actually entered scratch's place it just got kind of stupid

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    So that was pretty cool.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options

because for instance a big flash goes up and there are some confusing details and we're left spinning in the wind while the explanation is doled out a page at a time over a few weeks

whereas when you're reading it as a cohesive whole you watch the confusing flash, get all of the exposition, and can then go back and rewatch the flash with the new contextualization, and understand it in the space of ten minutes.

That isn't how I meant that comment. I mean in more concrete terms, the length of a camera pan, the level of zoom, the speed of transitions etc. I cant fault Hussie if I don't remember a plot point, that is just a function of time making things difficult for everyone. However, all these visual techniques form together to make a series of coherent events. I don't think Hussie is comfortable with them yet, if getting better. I was impressed by Jade's godtier sequence for that reason, he made it very clear what it was that was happening and what she was doing. I was impressed because I don't think he would have been able to do that earlier in the project.

• Options
    Mizuumi wrote:
    DdljV.png[/img]

miz did you upload that just for me

tdot-san...

ducklett.gif
  • Options

Well, 4th wall breaking Hussie is probably the largest example. We don't need to know Scratch is an equal authority to the writer. It has no purpose in the story whatsoever.

There are also a lot of chatlogs that could probably be slimmed down as well. I like chatlogs, but some of them are really goddamn long. Not every single thing in homestuck needs to be critical to the plot, and humor is super important to the story as well, but it just got ridiculous at points. Never to a point that bothered me personally, but when you have a single act taking up as much (more?) space than the other 4 combined it either means you probably should have broken the act up or slimmed it down some.

I feel some of this also comes via the nature of a webcomic. With a book, you can go back and modify previous chapters before actually releasing the completed product. This doesn't happen with a webcomic without potentially alienating older readers. If Hussie has been writing a book, we probably would have seen a more even spread of stuff between acts. But hindsight is 20/20 with a webcomic.

I'll be able to provide more examples of excess in act 5 as I continue to read through it.

It has a purpose insofar as it presents Doc Scratch as a more serious thread. It's doing the same thing that letting him take over the narrating or changing the website did. And again, it amounted to a silly joke and one of the funnier panels in recent Homestuck.

I don't think length in and of itself is a problem, especially because none of it was bad. You'd be hard-pressed to find a piece of conversation that wasn't either funny, interesting, or advanced the plot. It maybe starts to skirt that in Past Karkat: Wake Up, but that's also presented in a form that basically tells you that this is optional and you don't have to read it.

As far as Act 5 being so much longer than the other 4 acts (it's actually twice as long as the other four put together): what if the act-labeling system didn't exist? Or what if, say, Jade: Enter or John: Rise Up was arbitrarily titled EOA5 and everything after that up to Cascade was Act 6? Would that complaint suddenly go away? There's nothing magical about the points where the acts end and begin, they just denote points of major plot development.

And I am betting that you will find fewer examples of bloat in act 5 than you are expecting to! So it will be interesting to see who's right.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Editing down is for media bound by practical limitations like paper pages, film stock, or reasonable expectations of audience attention span.

This is the internet. None of those apply.

Also, jeeze, a fifteen minute long flash animation over fifty megs. I'd really like to see his keyframe timeline. How many layers do you think he uses? I bet he doesn't name his movieclips.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote:

Jade carried by Bec

she was just kinda there

still though, neat

Also Jade didn't really trust jack, either.

Well, she trusted him not to kill her, but that's it.

And him carrying her seemed to be entirely out of her control.

Although, come to think of it, why DID he bring her to the quest bed? Did he know how to do what he did, or did he have an informant helping him, or did he even know she would be ressurected? Too many questions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options

That isn't how I meant that comment. I mean in more concrete terms, the length of a camera pan, the level of zoom, the speed of transitions etc. I cant fault Hussie if I don't remember a plot point, that is just a function of time making things difficult for everyone. However, all these visual techniques form together to make a series of coherent events. I don't think Hussie is comfortable with them yet, if getting better. I was impressed by Jade's godtier sequence for that reason, he made it very clear what it was that was happening and what she was doing. I was impressed because I don't think he would have been able to do that earlier in the project.

Yeah that's basically what I was trying to say

a lot of the times in the big flashes things zoom by very quickly and it's sort of a montage of important events all strung along in a way that syncs up with the music and usually contributes to one or two big events in the flash that are easy to understand. Then, as time goes on, he goes back and fills in the details of the smaller, faster parts that were difficult to understand from the flash itself. When you don't have that part of the story, all you can do is repeatedly rewatch the flash and try and figure it out on your own. A lot of us didn't get that the Green Sun was being created in Cascade, but I guarantee you that'll get elaborated on soon, and for someone that reads the whole thing straight through, they won't need to study Cascade repeatedly and talk it out with others to understand it, the story will just tell them straight-up.

• Options
    everything jack did in response to jade dying was Bec's influence taking over

it was probably the only thing really keeping jack in check up until he decided to just destroy everything

• Options
    Goatmon wrote:
    NeoToma wrote:

Jade carried by Bec

she was just kinda there

still though, neat

Also Jade didn't really trust jack, either.

Well, she trusted him not to kill her, but that's it.

And him carrying her seemed to be entirely out of her control.

Although, come to think of it, why DID he bring her to the quest bed? Did he know how to do what he did, or did he have an informant helping him, or did he even know she would be ressurected? Too many questions.

Remember, he killed John on his quest bed only for john to come back to life on him

so he must have made the connection that the quest beds had some kind of resurrection powers

This discussion has been closed.