As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: my tenuous grasp on the mspa thread is nearing its end

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    i think i have watched (s): cascade at least 8 times now

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so hang on
    scratch has to die in order to usher in lord english

we thought destroying the green sun would kill him but that didn't happen

but he still has to die

does that mean hussie killed him?

i suppose by getting slick to kill snowman thus ending the universe he pretty neatly committed suicide either way but i like the idea that hussie was responsible

also hussie was in the blue universe when it was destroyed, does this mean hussie is dead now?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    so hang on
    scratch has to die in order to usher in lord english

we thought destroying the green sun would kill him but that didn't happen

but he still has to die

does that mean hussie killed him?

i suppose by getting slick to kill snowman thus ending the universe he pretty neatly committed suicide either way but i like the idea that hussie was responsible

also hussie was in the blue universe when it was destroyed, does this mean hussie is dead now?

Hussie went back through the 5th wall with the scrapbook after all those shenanigans.

"Suckers" was that Scratch's last message before the troll universe was destroyed by Slick shooting Snowman with the gun Scratch provided.

Based on other stuff Scratch has said, it seems somewhat reasonable to assume there will be another version of him in the Kids' scratched universe.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    S_O indicted that his avatar wouldn't directly influence the events in the story, only the telling of it

or

something

except for the thing with the yardstick

also it is open season on spoilers you can come out into the light

• Options
    okay cool that makes sense

fucking scratch

i like his policy of never technically lying but phrasing things in ways that really only permit of one interpretation then pointing and laughing when people accept that interpretation without even thinking about it

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2011
    I hold out hoping that my dear Vriska comes back.

Vriska <3

I wonder if rebooting the kids' universe will have any consequence on the trolls' universe. They're obviously more strongly interconnected than we yet know.

We could very well see a brand new iteration of Vriska. One...who doesn't know John. D:

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote:
    putting up some more of my assets on tumblr

tumblr_lto5kqy33P1qffewio1_500.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Larlar wrote:
    I hold out hoping that my dear Vriska comes back.

Vriska <3

I wonder if rebooting the kids' universe will have any consequence on the trolls' universe. They're obviously more strongly interconnected than we yet know.

We could very well see a brand new iteration of Vriska. One...who doesn't know John. D:

i would not be shocked in the slightest if they turned out to be the same universe all along a la double mobius reach around

i would however be shocked in the slightest if vriska came back in any way shape or form

also re tynic art; right click set as wallpaper

Crimson King on
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Tynic as an Architecture student your draws are probably my favourite draws.

So many phone wallpapers (my version of windows doesn't let me change the wallpaper)

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    crwth wrote:
    hah i like this as a phone bg

tumblr_ltnm9gm3ww1ql8fioo1_500.png

Did they also link to the wallpaper-sized original image? Because I would probably subject my phone to this for a little bit.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    it's funny cause I avoided drawing buildings for years, all those horrible straight lines

and now I can't seem to stop.

• Options
    tynic your architectural arts are fucking eerie they are so good

• Options
    i particularly like the spiky fortress

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Tynic I am in love with your architecture and landscapes.

broken image link
  • Options
    You now have the numbers to establish some kind of Building-Art-Loving male harem!

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    Tynic I am in love with your avatar

• Options
    I like

buildings

it's actually surprised me a little how I never really see farts of prospit or derse cityscapes

• Options
    SwissLion wrote:
    You now have the numbers to establish some kind of Building-Art-Loving male harem!

my wildest dreams!

ZeroFill wrote:
    Tynic I am in love with your avatar

Me too!
    ... in, like, a platonic way.

• Options
    hey so with all these universes physically inside other universes the homestuck multiverse seems to work like a stacked version of the simulation hypothesis

i thought that was interesting

• Options
    tynic I am in love with starting posts with "tynic I am in love with"

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    tynic i am in love with larlar

i require your approval so we may wed

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    putting up some more of my assets on tumblr

tumblr_lto5kqy33P1qffewio1_500.jpg

Tynic you are the coolest.

Also also, I just got the joke in the little segment where Terezi points out to Sollux where the green sun is coming from and Karkat adjusts her arm for her.

• Options

tynic I am in love with the mystery over whether or not you are my mother

because if you aren't I'm wondering why your approval is holding up my wedding

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    ZapRatZapRat Mage of Mind A place apartRegistered User regular
    while hussie could probably use the assistance of an editor

you know what

people say this a lot around here

usually people whose interest in Homestuck has lapsed

but I'm not sure I get it.

Is Homestuck really long? Absolutely. We've established it already has more words than Moby fucking Dick. Is it complex, even convoluted? Totally. It has an absurdly complicated plot, a cast big enough to populate a small town, and more themes and ideas than you can count.

But I don't think that means it needs to be edited down. That's just how the story is. In fact, I don't even know what you could edit out and maintain the general thrust of the story. Every piece is leaning against every other piece like a gargantuan house of cards. I mean, what would people even edit out? Lord English? Some of the trolls? The entire troll session? I feel like you can't lose any of that without losing what Homestuck is, or if you did, you'd have to replace it with something clunkier, like say, long exposition scenes for the purpose of Sburb instead of just seeing it in action in the Troll session.

I feel like "Hussie needs an editor" is usually used as code for "Hussie isn't writing the story I wanted him to write." Because for as huge and labrynthine as Homestuck has become, I can't think of a single major element that could be taken away without making it either a worse story or an entirely different kind of story.

every writer on earth could probably use the assistance of a good editor

it's not just about removing stuff, perhaps not even mostly about removing stuff depending on the editor in question

it's about helping to consolidate ideas and even generate new ones

and I'm sorry speed but Act 5 could use a lot of consolidation

and I disagree with you on that

and I am pretty sure that you inherently can't consolidate something without cutting content

what else would consolidation entail if not that

A good way to observe editorial consolidation is to watch a movie based on a book. I've seen two film versions of Moby Dick, which has so many side-stories that you could make an entire TV series out of it. Some edits for both films involved the wholesale removal of some of the side stories and characters. Ish's long-winded discussions of what was known about while biology at the time were absent from both movies, especially since some of the information is obsolete. Other things that Ish stated directly in the book concerning the whaling business were changed to be dialog with Ahab to work better on film. The book was written in first-person, but in the movie it wouldn't make much since just to have Ish sitting there talking to the audience.

In the book, Ahab's final confrontation with Moby involved 3 attempts at hunting him down. In the first movie version that I watched, they just had the final battle. The second version I watched tried to give the title character more screen time early in the film by moving Ahab's first battle with the whale to an earlier point in the movie. This added suspense by showing Moby's destructive power early on, and allowed the final confrontation to be less drawn out. Essentially one Moby-kill attempt was removed, but the other was re-arranged to add drama to the film. That's a pretty good example of editing that isn't merely removing stuff.

CYDUJ.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    lexxy wrote:
    but since godtier Jade is actually post-sprite prototyped dream Jade, her unrelated combination with Bec might have a more permanent consequence?

this sentence

my brain

• Options
    being allowed to write sentences like that is a non-trivial percentage of the pleasure i get from reading homestuck

• Options

is there any topical ointment for this

• Options
    he asks the queen of poops

• Options
    tynic I am in love with this tube of cream I have synthesized from blending the dead skin cells that fall off my body into a DNA smoothie that I am now giving to Beasteh to apply twice daily for up to two weeks after the symptoms disappear

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I wonder

could you remove some of the trolls

folks like nepeta,feferi, and equius don't have much of an impact at all

gamzees only real importance was getting rid of the extra trolls anyway

If you pared it down to karkat,terezi kanaya, vriska, tavros, and aradia, you'd be fine

Unless I'm forgetting something crucial

BugBoy on
  • Options
    Larlar wrote:

It's because I own you
    and also we live in the antebellum south or some other time and period where it considered legal to 'own' another autonomous human being, as repugnant as that notion is.
    got the legal documents drawn up and all, bitch.

• Options
    Beasteh wrote:

is there any topical ointment for this

tynic i am not in love with beasteh's love of larlar

you must now decide which one of us gets him

• Options
    tynic wrote:
    Larlar wrote:

It's because I own you
    and also we live in the antebellum south or some other time and period where it considered legal to 'own' another autonomous human being, as repugnant as that notion is.
    got the legal documents drawn up and all, bitch.

Oh, okay then. Can you take me out for a walk?

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    BugBoy wrote:
    I wonder

If you pared it down to karkat,terezi kanaya, vriska, tavros, and aradia, you'd be fine

sure if you hated fun and wanted everything to be terrible

also sollux

• Options
    At work yesterday I saw someone's name on a list whose last name was Lawlor.

I had to try really hard not to giggle when I said it and imagined it as someone saying Larlar with a voice distorter SAW style.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    BugBoy wrote:
    I wonder

Not going to say you couldn't pare down the story, you could definitely do that, post-event. But remember that a lot of the trolls you mentioned were in some way necessary in order to characterise the more leading trolls. Eridan's stupid personality would not be as evident if he didn't have feferi to bounce off, etc. You could probably consolidate some roles, at the risk of making the troll story even more incestuous than it already is. But as I have repeatedly stated, paring down after the fact is the very thing that can never, ever happen. The thing with MSPA is that it is constructed on the fly. The importance or lack thereof of various characters does not become apparent immediately because even the author isn't sure what twists and turns the story will take. So the very design of the narrative is to deliberately throw in HUGE amounts of trivia, and even characters, because a pattern or coherent arc organically emerging from the mess is much more likely when we have a critical mass of story elements to work with. Like the amount of crap in the kids rooms at the beginning, only some of which ever came back into play. It was necessary to introduce and flesh out the trolls because then there was more chance that their story would have its own life, rather than simply narrative orchestration to highlight the actions of the kids.

The real problem is, we were doomed to 12 trolls the instant the zodiac theme came into being. Because can you imagine what would have happened if we'd only met, like, six of the zodiac? People would go nuts.

• Options
    Larlar wrote:
    Oh, okay then. Can you take me out for a walk?

Remember to bring your little poopy bag and shovel.

• Options
    You will pick up my poop and you will like it.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Larlar wrote:
    You will pick up my poop and you will like it.

yes
    yes I will
    :winky:

• Options
    damn crazy Europeans

more like Europoopins

iwantanswers3.png
This discussion has been closed.