As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] Space Australia: GAME. SET. MATCH.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Just to confirm, mechanized farming will increase the xenofarm food output, or will it just reduce the number of workers needed for it? If production increases, then I'll toss in for E-1.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Could we also employ more people to increase salvage/farming outputs?

Because we have like 1.4k people who are doing nothing but sitting on their arse all day.

having 58.33% unemployment looks bad.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just to confirm, mechanized farming will increase the xenofarm food output, or will it just reduce the number of workers needed for it?

I'm never sure if it's more or less fun for me to be transparent with this stuff.
    Both!

Daxon wrote:
    That's kind of an upper limit, not having the population to fully staff them would give a reduced output. So no.

The death mine will be a special case.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Just to confirm, mechanized farming will increase the xenofarm food output, or will it just reduce the number of workers needed for it?

I'm never sure if it's more or less fun for me to be transparent with this stuff.
    Both!

Daxon wrote:
    That's kind of an upper limit, not having the population to fully staff them would give a reduced output. So no.

The death mine will be a special case.

oh, shame. Guess we shall be supporting their welfare queen laziness for some time then.

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    What's 0.2 food when we're about to be making more? Morale could be a good thing to secure now!

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    E-3!

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    E - 3

While the masses enjoy their plebian recreational narcotics, we the elite will set this land to rights with a much more efficent industrial workforce.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    G1
    The bastard stole a rover. We can't let this continue.
    Jimmy-rigged crossbows and potato guns for everyone.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    G-2Our loyal endruggened soldiers will bring us victory!

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    G-3

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    G - 1

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Well, better weapons would be helpful when we have to kill each other when the food runs out.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'll take some F*kitol pills and join on the
    A7 , 3 bid. YEESH! Mines are expensive. We CANNOT build anything until we have 1 mine up.
    Explore it, strip mine it. I'll participate in your little gamble for this turn, but next turn we NEED WEAPONS. We already lost a dood. The Space Ghosts have a taste for human flesh now.

EDIT** G - 3
    weaponization has a chance of victory. Switching Votes.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Alt_RavenAlt_Raven Registered User regular
    G - 3

Need weapons asap. One rover taken out just means the other are now easy pickings.

You touched my Tra-La-La!
  • Options
    In a twist of fate, we later discover that space ghosts are immune to advanced weaponry but can be easily defeated with sharpened toothbrushes. :P

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Close call this time. It's what I like to see.

Turn 15

Decision: E3 - Mechanised farming and a little something-something for the men

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.5k [2.5k cap] [0.7k civilian employment, 0.1k military]
    Food: 3.0k [(+2.3k -2.5k)/turn]
    Resources: 0.8k [+Variable/turn] [Salvaging Pod Eight]
    Energy: 4/8
    Morale: Fine [-] [Drugs: +2 on morale checks]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.2k [0.4k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Mechanised Xenofarm [+1k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.2k pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy]
    Enhanced Nuclear microreactor [+8 Energy]
    HRH Hexus Supercomputer [needs 1 energy]

Hex 1 (Occupied)
    Mechanised Solar Xeno(drug)farm [+0.8k food per turn, (0.2k of food space reserved for drugs) -1 energy (provided by solar panels), 0.2k pop workers, Big]

Hex 2 (Unoccupied)
    Irradiated [No farming/housing here]
    Crashed Pod Eight [Being Salvaged, 0.5k pop workers, Total Resources Extracted 0.5k. Total Turns 3]

Forces
    NBB
    Small gang of armed prisoners [Size1, Strength 1]
    Horde of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size16, Strength0.1]

Hex 1
    Small gathering of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size2, Strength0.1]

Hex 2
    Group of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size5, Strength0.1]

Research
    Planetology III: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips], Elementary Xenonarcotics [allows basic medical and recreation drugs to be farmed]
    Fundamental Science II: Basic Planet Electromagnetics [allows communication via targeted comm lasers], Radioactivity Safety Protocols [Removes problems of radioactivity for short exposures in small groups], Basic Solar Energy[Adapt existing solar cells to supply one farm, allow concentrated solar plants]
    Industry III: Basic Transportation [Allows rovers, double exploration yield], Basic Mining [allows mines], Mechanised Farming [Xenofarms now need 0.1k pop & produce 1k food/turn]

Summary
    Every good prisoner knows that controlling the supply of drugs is how you control the prison population. Sir Angry Bruce quickly, and very publicly, announced that these new sources of joy would be intensively farmed, harvested and refined. Within a day or so of the first crop, it became clear that these new drugs were going to become Space Australia's currency. Just enough was handed out to get people hooked and keep them working hard while preventing many individuals from managing to gather enough to become professional addicts.

The narcotic fields had slightly reduced the available space for crops, but Sir Angry Bruce was as wise as he has tattooed. He commanded the Sparkies and the Jackeroos to work together to increase yields, he pointed vaguely at the rover supply train and declared that "something like that" would "sort all of this out". Squat crawlers the height of a man were cobbled together from various reclaimed pieces of the ever mysterious Pod Eight. With one man to guide them they'd merrily tear out the harvest in a fraction of the time it previously took. Submerged piping was positioned at certain points to ooze nutrient-enhanced hot water into the roots. Yields increased and the need for manpower was vastly reduced. The Jackeroos lose a good few members to other gangs, but those who remain are more powerful than ever.
    [-0.2k resources to mechanise the farms. The cost of new farms will still be 1.5k resources, these are just incidental upgrade costs]

With drugs and the closing food deficit, there's another swell in the population. HRH Nexus reports that if this continues (as it may well do) then there are going to be problems. The amalgam of dead monarchs suggests a war to thin out the herd.
    [Population growth roll 1d6(-1) - 1d6. 6(-1) - 4. 0.1k growth. Pop has hit the cap]

All of the Road Warriors remain vigilant following the loss of one of their own, but everybody else remains accounted for and the stream of supplies remains fairly steady. Perhaps half of the pod has been dismantled now. People continue to talk about the strange disappearance. Perhaps it was time to put up a fence around the few bits of territory claimed by Space Australia. A nice tall fence with some cameras at regular intervals.
    [Salvage 1d4(-1). 2(-1) = 0.1k resources]

Map
    No change, but as a reminder
    Turn11.png

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter and a number)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Build More Housing [+0.5k population cap, needs 1 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources] [You need this to try and repair the data-cores] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES
    D - Research Planetology [Radiation clean-up]
    E - Research Industry [Secure Perimeter]
    F - Research Fundamental Science [Improved Energy Storage]
    G - Research Military [Improvised Weapons]

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    G

Hopefully this won't spend any resources, we need to save up another 0.7k resources and build a mine and naturally have the military able to protect it.

So research military, then do a bit more exploring whilst we save up resources.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    A 7

Explore all the territory that we have traffic going through/near, then we can get a secure perimeter going and work on arming the mob.

Also, would it be possible to weaponise the "numerous stills" in some kind of Molotov Cocktail form? Improvised incendiaries are always ideal for road warrior warfare, if Mad Max has taught me anything.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    A7
    I'll be driving my tractor on the drug farm!

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    A10

Time to find new riches we can sell to the poor for a 100 % increased cost due to "hightended risk of death"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    A7 Lets find more scrap to salvage

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    G
    Next time we send out explorers, maybe they'll be armed with something a bit more fearsome then poor oral hygiene.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    A 7

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    A 7

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    G

• Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    A7

• Options
    A7. Space Australia has a manifest destiny!

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    A7

Your welcome for the economy. Now the invisible hand of the (drug) market will take care of everything else for us. Those that use will use. Those that don't use will have starting capital to begin their own projects!

Also, and this has probably been answered elsewhere, but what do we need to build another farm? I feel like that would solve a lot of our worry. Piece of Mind, if you will.

• Options
    piL wrote:
    Also, and this has probably been answered elsewhere, but what do we need to build another farm? I feel like that would solve a lot of our worry. Piece of Mind, if you will.

For starters, we'd need an open hex. So if we're looking to put up a mine and farm in the immediate future, we'd need to do a couple of explorations. I think previous Xenofarms used about 1500 in resources to build, then add a 0.2 more for the upgraded mechanized farming I guess. At least, that's what it took to build 'em before. Either way, we're short on land and resources to build a farm at the moment, though we really do need to make another sooner or later.

• Options
    Turn 16

Decision: A3 - Exploring

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.5k [2.5k cap] [0.7k civilian employment, 0.1k military]
    Food: 2.8k [(+2.3k -2.5k)/turn]
    Resources: 1.4k [+Variable/turn] [Salvaging Pod Eight]
    Energy: 4/8
    Morale: Fine [-] [Drugs: +2 on morale checks]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.2k [0.4k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Mechanised Xenofarm [+1k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.2k pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy]
    Enhanced Nuclear microreactor [+8 Energy]
    HRH Hexus Supercomputer [needs 1 energy]

Hex 1 (Occupied)
    Mechanised Solar Xeno(drug)farm [+0.8k food per turn, (0.2k of food space reserved for drugs) -1 energy (provided by solar panels), 0.2k pop workers, Big]

Hex 2 (Occupied)
    Irradiated [No farming/housing here]
    Crashed Pod Eight [Being Salvaged, 0.5k pop workers, Total Resources Extracted 0.7k. Total Turns 4]

Hex 3 (Unoccupied)
    Bad soil [Half farming yield]

Forces
    NBB
    Horde of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size16, Strength0.1]

Hex 1
    Small gathering of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size2, Strength0.1]

Hex 2
    Group of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size5, Strength0.1]

Research
    Planetology III: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips], Elementary Xenonarcotics [allows basic medical and recreation drugs to be farmed]
    Fundamental Science II: Basic Planet Electromagnetics [allows communication via targeted comm lasers], Radioactivity Safety Protocols [Removes problems of radioactivity for short exposures in small groups], Basic Solar Energy[Adapt existing solar cells to supply one farm, allow concentrated solar plants]
    Industry III: Basic Transportation [Allows rovers, double exploration yield], Basic Mining [allows mines], Mechanised Farming [Xenofarms now need 0.1k pop & produce 1k food/turn]

Summary
    Life in New Botany Bay is fairly uneventful. The cramped conditions thankfully don't get any worse, and the new economy is doing well with every man, woman and child merrily exchanging drugs for goods and services. For now it's fine to have a crude barter system, although some people point out that maybe one day there will be enough people to found a new colony somewhere on the planet.
    [Population growth roll 1d6(-1) - 1d6. 4(-1) - 3. No growth]

The supply train continues to provide a steady stream of resources, although one of the Road Warriors arrives with his load in something of a state. Apparently he'd seen something in the dust, following alongside him for most of the journey. He'd sped up and slowed down but the strange vague outline had matched him. A short way from New Botany Bay the dust had settled down and there was no sign of anything.
    [Salvage 1d4(-1). 3(-1) = 0.2k resources]

Those not busy hauling back resources set out to chart new lands for the glory of Space Australia. Again, Jimmy The Snitch takes point, walking a hundred metres ahead of one of the rovers. The earth here is stony and a much deeper red. It's much too swallow to support plantlife, even by this planet's meagre standards. A band of rock abruptly marks the end of even the thin soil and the salvage team find themselves faced with a collection of strange looking rocks. Carefully checking for radiation and lurking space ghosts, the group move in towards what is clearly a cluster of glittering meteorites. Possibly when the missile broke atmosphere it was one whole, but now it's a series of lesser things spread over a small area. Smashing one open, the explorers gaze upon t he solid metal interior. The hue shifts from one piece to the next and each one is outrageously heavy. A geologist rubs his facemask (his beard being inaccessible) and shrugs. Heavier elements were often present in meteors, it was humanity's first source of iron. Loading up the rovers, the explorers return.
    [Explorer team find 0.4k of resources, the hex would make a bad farm (half output) but otherwise seems safe and would be fine for a solar plant, mine or other big structure]

Back within the crashed pod at the heart of New Botany Bay, the metal-hearted rocks were examined in more detail. It was a good find, and it wouldn't be hard at all to extract the metals and other elements, even without a proper manufacturing centre.

Map
    Turn16.png

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Build More Housing [+0.5k population cap, needs 1 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources] [You need this to try and repair the data-cores] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES
    D - Build Mechanised Xenofarm in 3 [+0.5k food per turn, needs 1 energy, needs 0.2k population to work, costs 1.5k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES
    E - Build Concentrated Solar Plant in 3 [+3 energy, needs 0.1k population, costs 2k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES
    F - Build Mine in 3 [+0.3k resources per turn, needs 2 energy, needs 0.4k population*, costs 1.5k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES
    D - Research Planetology [Radiation clean-up]
    E - Research Industry [Secure Perimeter]
    F - Research Fundamental Science [Improved Energy Storage]
    G - Research Military [Improvised Weapons]

[* you'll be able to claim 0.1k extra resources per turn per extra 0.2k population you put in there (up to 0.6k extra). It's risky though. I'll give the full details when/if you build one]

It's a bit of a dry update, but I was against the clock!

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    F to boost the range of our rovers so that we can explore more efficiently.

We also need to conserve resources long enough to get a Mine up and running.

Darian on
  • Options
    Haha, we need to mine to get more resources, but we don't have enough resources to mine. :P That's ok, salvage should bring back enough by next turn, but I thought it was kind of funny. The planet kicking us in the balls yet again.

Think I'll vote for something different this time, and vote E for securing the perimeter. Damn space ghosts are starting to get all uppity, let's secure what we have while we wait to build a mine. Then we can do some other research after that, explore a new hex, and hopefully have mined enough resources in a few turns to build another farm.

And Mojo, update was great. Don't sweat it, we can patiently shiv each other do wild space drugs until you've got the time/are comfortable with updating.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    A 3

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    GFor the inevitable war against the space ghosts.

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    G now is the time to arm all the people while they are hopped up on drugs

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    G

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    G

Security is paramount now and we cannot spare resources on fencing (yet).

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm liking E more than G

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Too many Es and Ds and stuff. I think G might be the way to go... but we really need a mine up and running, like, tomorrow.