As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] Space Australia: GAME. SET. MATCH.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    B

I'm not a free thinker.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Somebody asked about using the fissures in a similar way to the crater. Interesting idea, but the porous, crumbly rock would make it near impossible. Maybe down the line you'd be able to seal off other features but the crater is the alpha site.

Turn 22

Decision: B - Houses for the House God

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.8k [3k cap] [1.2k civilian employment, 0.1k military]
    Food: 1k [(+2.3k -2.8k)/turn]
    Resources: 1.6k [+0.6k/turn]
    Energy: 1/8
    Morale:Unhappy [-2] [Drugs: +2 on morale checks]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.2k [0.4k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Mechanised Xenofarm [+1k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.1k pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy]
    Enhanced Nuclear microreactor [+8 Energy]
    HRH Hexus Supercomputer [needs 1 energy]
    Expanded housing level 1 [+0.5k pop cap, -1 energy]

Hex 1 (Occupied)
    Mechanised Solar Xeno(drug)farm [+0.8k food per turn, (0.2k of food space reserved for drugs) -1 energy (provided by solar panels), 0.1k pop workers, Big]

Hex 2 (Occupied)
    Irradiated [No farming/housing here]
    An interesting crater

Hex 3 (Occupied)
    Poor soil [Half farming yield]
    Mine [+0.3k* resources per turn, needs 2 energy, needs 0.4k* population, costs 1.5k resources, is Big]
    *Overworking 0.6/0.6k for 0.3k bonus [Difficulty 8 check each turn to avoid an accident [0.1-0.3k deaths, and then a difficulty 11, 12 or 13 check to avoid dropping a morale notch temporarily]

Hex 4
    Hydrocarbon pools (potentially for Fossil Fuel Processing Facility to provide energy and some resources)

Hex 5
    Empty

Forces
    NBB
    Small gang of armed prisoners [Size1, Strength 1]
    Horde of convicts and colonists with overcharged tools and big machine parts [Size22, Strength0.25]

Hex 1
    Small gathering of convicts and colonists with overcharged tools and big machine parts [Size1, Strength0.25]

Hex 2
    None

Hex 3
    Group of convicts and colonists with overcharged tools and big machine parts [Size4, Strength0.25]

Research
    Planetology III: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips], Elementary Xenonarcotics [allows basic medical and recreation drugs to be farmed]
    Fundamental Science IV: Basic Planet Electromagnetics [allows communication via targeted comm lasers], Radioactivity Safety Protocols [Removes problems of radioactivity for short exposures in small groups], Basic Solar Energy[Adapt existing solar cells to supply one farm, allow concentrated solar plants], Improved Energy Storage [Rovers are now fast. Exploring action now has a chance of exploring two hexes (difficulty 14 roll)]
    Industry IV: Basic Transportation [Allows rovers, double exploration yield], Basic Mining [allows mines], Mechanised Farming [Xenofarms now need 0.1k pop & produce 1k food/turn], Security Perimeter [Makes it harder to sneak into occupied hexes]
    Military I: Improvised Weapons [Boosts colonist strength to 0.25]

Summary
    The area around Pod Six is a changed place. Where a piece of an Ark had originally ploughed into the dusty ground there was now something which looked a lot like a fungus-coated city. At the centre was the colony pod, now furnished with a tall communications tower. The dishes scanned around, ready to receive laser pulses from distant colonists checking in. To the south-east was a towering mine and manufacturing centre, even standing at the centre of New Botany Bay in the thin atmosphere it was hard to ignore the distance grinding and crashing of the dangerous work going on there. The farms were less intrusive, providing the bulk of supplies for the colony, and wired into the thick cable network criss-crossing the surface. Closer to the core pod where several smaller structures: the heart of another pod, housing the HRH Nexus bio-supercomputer; a long cylinder filled with broad spectrum artificial lighting and rich green plantlife; and the newest addition, a twenty metre high spike surrounded by a wide circle at its base - The cluster of new lifesupport and housing known a The Projects to the colonists.

The spike itself housed all the various air and water processing equipment, providing life support in the inhospitable alien environment, the new living quarters themselves were in the circular section. The design was simple (some might even say crude) but it gave the people some personal space and it was expandable. Extra sections could be added quite efficiently on top of the pre-existing structure.
    [Population growth roll 1d6(-3) - 1d6. 6(-3) - 4. No growth]
    [Mine check versus 8. It's a 15(-2)=13. Success. No accident.]
    [Housing means you'll be back to Fine from Unhappy next turn]
    [Also, the next upgrade to the housing won't cost you any extra energy]

Long tube corridors connected The Projects, the Hydroponics lab and the nearby farm to the Colony Pod. The tubes allowed colonists to move about without the need for full overalls and air cylinders. The frequent transparent panels even afforded views out on the planetscape (while also being fitted with regular blast doors in case of a breach). Only the HRH Nexus was isolated, the people still not fully trusting their cybernetic Monarchy.

For all their achievements, however, Space Australia still faced significant hurdles. Primarily a lack of food. The supplies had been dwindling while the population had grown. It was a time to take charge and solve the problem, but even so Sir Angry Bruce was faced by another problem: Mutants. With clean air supplies having been restricted by the previous overpopulation and water for personal grooming have similarly been rationed, the group of twenty-three women had largely gone unnoticed. The black market had been siphoning drugs since planetfall and now that there was more or less an economy based on the xenonarcotics, it had become easier to acquire various medical supplies. If a man (or woman) wanted to enjoy the benefits of steroids and could pay, then who was going to stop him (or her?). It was their mottled olive and tan complexion that made them stand out, with The Projects completed, overnight people came noticeable cleaner and no longer was it a case of the occasional lady nearing two metres in height, with biceps like melons and a thin covering of grime on her face. Now it was obvious that their skin was actually a different colour. Space Australia was not so good at keeping records but a little digging revealed each of the women to have been included in the five hundred infected. Those who had been quarantined and subjected to a complex array of medications. It had changed something fundamental about them. For now it seemed like these mutants hadn't even noticed their differences themselves, or realised they were part of a larger group.

Map
    (no change)
    Turn21.png

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter, a number and a punctuation mark)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Upgrade Housing in NBB[+0.5k population cap, needs 0 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources] [You need this to try and repair the data-cores] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES OR ENERGY
    D - Build Concentrated Solar Plant in 2, 4 or 5 [+3 energy, needs 0.1k population, costs 2k resources, is Big]
    E - Build Mine in 2,4 or 5 [+0.3k resources per turn, needs 2 energy, needs 0.4k population*, costs 1.5k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH ENERGY
    F - Build Mechanised Xenofarm in 4 or 5 [+1k food per turn, needs 1 energy, needs 0.1k population to work, costs 1.5k resources, is Big]
    G - Research Planetology [Radiation clean-up]
    H - Research Industry [Hydrocarbon processing]
    I - Research Fundamental Science [???] LABS REQUIRED FOR FURTHER RESEARCH
    J - Research Military [Defensive traps][/quote]

1 - Leave the strange muscular women alone for the moment
    2 - Quarantine/Imprison them [You can observe them for obvious changes but you'll need labs to study them]
    3 - Execute them quietly
    4 - Execute them publicly
    5 - Bring them together to train and form a new military unit from them [free size1 unit, I'll give you the strength and whatnot if you choose this option]
    [None of these will affect your population as it's a small group.]

£ - Ration food [Population stay unhappy but you halve the food requirements]
    $ - Don't Ration Food
    % - £ with cannibalism [+0.4k food from eating the frozen corpses]
    & - $ with cannibalism

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    H5& Gotta do something with those bodies, might as well feed them to our mutant amazon women.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

5 - Bring them together to train and form a new military unit from them [free size1 unit, I'll give you the strength and whatnot if you choose this option]

£ - Ration food [Population stay unhappy but you halve the food requirements]

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Snoo-Snoo!

Did building housing cost 1.5k resources rather than .5k or am I missing something?

H-5-£

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Did building housing cost 1.5k resources rather than .5k or am I missing something?
    Whoops.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hurray!

Changing my vote to F(5 I guess?)-5-$

FOOD FOR THE FOOD GOD, TOOTH CABBAGES FOR THE SILICON THRONE OF HRH ELIZABETH II!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Eh, we'll build the farm next turn. My vote stands.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    F(5) - 5 - $

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    F4 - Feed our mutant people
    5 with a hint of 2 -study them while they are training, see if we can train them apart from our other workers. Have the sparkies/scientist discretely watch them for abnormal behaviour

$ no need to ration food if we build a farm

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mutant amazon women of New Austrailia! Intersting.

F(5), 2, &

We're almost out of the woods foodwise, we just need a little more! As far as the mutants go, we must study them--turning them into a military force is simply too dangerous until we can see what happens inside of their heads. Especially since the need for a standing army is currently low. We need to get labs asap, because if the condition of these ladies is repeatable, access to that information will be incredibly useful.

Edit: Also, maybe we should go ahead and make sure they're dangerously hooked on opiates and therefore loyal.

piL on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I think it is best to keep those corpses around as baseline human samples... if we are all being... assimilated by the planet or something we would want some bases to compare to.

Building in 5, crumble valley, seems like a bad idea but I guess a farm cant be all that bad.

Is there even a question of whether we should arm a group of super strong mutants? I mean public executions are good for moral and all but we have drugs for that!

F(5), 5, $

We can still study the women if they are armed, I am sure they would like to understand as well.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    H -5 - $

Ahh real australian womenfolk ready to defend their homelands in times of need (just don't hit me pretty ladies)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    F[5]5$
    Build a farm to prevent rationing, keep it in 5 to protect our precious hydrocarbon pools.
    And heavily armed amazon women on the moon bizarre alien planet? What could go wrong?

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    F(5)5$

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    F[5]5$

• Options
    You're all terrible at being villians!

Don't tell me that was never the goal.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    F-5-$

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    F Hex5 - 5 - $

remember that there are two hexes to build in. We dont want to build on the hydrocarbon pools (hex 4)
    There are also two descisions to be made, with regards to our amazonians and rationing.

new farm asap, even if it is teeth cabage. just put some 'mike's red hot wing sauce' on it to cut the flavor.
    We are still quite a ways away from a LAB. If we place them as a military unit, we can keep an eye on them in a laize-fairre way, and have them mostly segregated from the populace. When we do get the labs up and running, we can recall them for sampling.

We need to take samples of the frozen corpse, then incinerate them. I think we'd lose some of our humanity if we cannabalized. Or failing that, if for some reason you all decide on it. Only have a small part of the populace do it, and do it in a very respectful way so that they understand the gravity of such actions. These dead people would be on par with those of the death lottery in sacrificing for the good of the colony.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    piL wrote:
    Look, villains need minions.
    Minions need housed and fed. We've gotten them housed, so now we need to feed them. After that we can work on boosting our industry with some research or something so we can arm our minions better.

After that, we take the fight to the space ghosts.

see317 on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    F5 - 5 - $

Don't forget that the population may surge again, especially with more housing, and if there's no new food source, we're hosed. It won't just be cannibalism you'll have to worry about; it'll be very, very hungry cannibals with improvised weapons, looking for more food.

Which, granted, would bring the population numbers down to a manageable size, but would probably not be a good precedent to start.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    F5£

A stop gap measure until our weapons improve.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    F5 - 5 - $

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    F5 - 5 - $

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    RoonieRoonie Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    F5-5-$ thinking we should try to save some resources to get another mine up and running .

Roonie on
  • Options
    see317 wrote:
    piL wrote:
    Minions need housed and fed. We've gotten them housed, so now we need to feed them. After that we can work on boosting our industry with some research or something so we can arm our minions better.

No, I'm all for that, I just thought oppressing the mutants and resorting to cannibalism were requisite.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    F5-5-$

• Options
    piL wrote:
    see317 wrote:
    piL wrote:

No, I'm all for that, I just thought oppressing the mutants and resorting to cannibalism were requisite.

I'm not against resorting to cannibalism. I mean, if that's what you have to do to survive, then that's what you have to do. I'm just saying it's a last resort and if we have options otherwise, maybe we should just keep the freezer stocked for now.
    But oppressing the mutants doesn't seem wise. I mean, sure, for now we have them outnumbered. But what if their mutation breeds true and our mistreatment breeds resentment? I'm not looking forward to squashing a mutant rebellion in the future. It would be much better to treat them well so they grow to appreciate the current regime, so when we have a rebellion we can use the mutants to squash it. I've seen some of these women, I'm pretty sure they'll be really good at squashing.

All this talk has reminded me, what are we doing with the newly dead (from the mine accident)? Are the bodies recoverable for proper stewing burial?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The folk that die in mining accidents don't really leave much that could be considered a body. It's more of a thin soup splattered across rocks.

Turn 23

Decision: F(hex 5) - 5 - $: Farms, armed mutants and not eating your own dead. It's the Space Australian Dream

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.8k [3k cap] [1.3k civilian employment, 0.1k military]
    Food: 1.5k [(+3.3k -2.8k)/turn]
    Resources: 0.7k [+0.6k/turn]
    Energy: 0/8
    Morale: Fine[-] [Drugs: +2 on morale checks]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.2k [0.4k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy]
    Enhanced Nuclear microreactor [+8 Energy]
    HRH Hexus Supercomputer [needs 1 energy]
    Expanded housing level 1 [+0.5k pop cap, -1 energy]

Hex 1 (Occupied)
    Mechanised Solar Xeno(drug)farm [+0.8k food per turn, (0.2k of food space reserved for drugs) -1 energy (provided by solar panels), 0.1k pop workers, Big]

Hex 2 (Occupied)
    Irradiated [No farming/housing here]
    An interesting crater

Hex 3 (Occupied)
    Poor soil [Half farming yield]
    Mine [+0.3k* resources per turn, needs 2 energy, needs 0.4k* population, costs 1.5k resources, is Big]
    *Overworking 0.6/0.6k for 0.3k bonus [Difficulty 8 check each turn to avoid an accident [0.1-0.3k deaths, and then a difficulty 11, 12 or 13 check to avoid dropping a morale notch temporarily]

Hex 4
    Hydrocarbon pools (potentially for Fossil Fuel Processing Facility to provide energy and some resources)

Hex 5 (Occupied)

Forces
    NBB
    Horde of convicts and colonists with overcharged tools and big machine parts [Size21, Strength0.25]
    Twenty-three She-Hulks armed with scrap [Size1, Strength 2, Diehard]

Hex 1
    Small gathering of convicts and colonists with overcharged tools and big machine parts [Size1, Strength0.25]

Hex 2
    None

Hex 3
    Group of convicts and colonists with overcharged tools and big machine parts [Size4, Strength0.25]

Hex 4
    None

Hex 5

[Diehard]: If the unit is lost in battle, roll against difficulty 10 after. On a success they remain in play.

Research
    Planetology III: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips], Elementary Xenonarcotics [allows basic medical and recreation drugs to be farmed]
    Fundamental Science IV: Basic Planet Electromagnetics [allows communication via targeted comm lasers], Radioactivity Safety Protocols [Removes problems of radioactivity for short exposures in small groups], Basic Solar Energy[Adapt existing solar cells to supply one farm, allow concentrated solar plants], Improved Energy Storage [Rovers are now fast. Exploring action now has a chance of exploring two hexes (difficulty 14 roll)]
    Industry IV: Basic Transportation [Allows rovers, double exploration yield], Basic Mining [allows mines], Mechanised Farming [Xenofarms now need 0.1k pop & produce 1k food/turn], Security Perimeter [Makes it harder to sneak into occupied hexes]
    Military I: Improvised Weapons [Boosts colonist strength to 0.25]

Summary
    A third xenofarm conquers the food shortages and for the people of Space Australia there's a brief glimmer of hope that a new era of stability could be starting. The perimeter fence is extended to enclose the new farm. The cracks in the earth have not grown any wider since they initially opened (nearly claiming an entire survey team), but the rock around the edges has crumbled, blurring their outlines and bridging over them in places.
    [Population growth roll 1d6(-1) - 1d6. 1(-1) - 2. No growth]
    [Mine check versus 8. It's a 10=10. Success. No accident.]

The strange mutants are gathered together before Sir Angry Bruce and he calmly explains that thanks to their new gifts they will become the first of Space Australia's new military. Placed so close together, the group of hulking women are very intimidating. As they quietly regard one another, it quickly becomes obvious that this might have been a mistake. Isolated superhumanly strong colonists would be a problem, but collecting them together might have been something far worse. Over the next few days, the supercolonists train together and are observed closely in the process. Besides their strength and speed, the she-hulks are very hard to kill. One of the militia drilling the group somehow found himself with a loaded weapon and discharged it into the face of the new recruits. The man was mobbed and killed almost instantly by her team mates, but interestingly, as the corpse of the dead hulk was being taken back inside, she regain consciousness. Despite lacking most of her face, she was able to stand back up and seemed no worse for wear.

The rifles and pistols of the milita are too small for the new military unit, they choose instead to form their own weaponry - which largely amounts to lengths of metal piping (and in one case a length of steel cable topped with a cruel hook). Although their appearances were bestial, there was no obvious decrease in intellectual abilities. For the time being though, the she-hulks seem content to serve Space Australian interests although they flatly refuse to be studied or tested.

Map
    Turn23.png

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter and a number)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Upgrade Housing in NBB[+0.5k population cap, needs 0 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources] [You need this to try and repair the data-cores] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES OR ENERGY
    D - Build Concentrated Solar Plant in 2 or 4 [+3 energy, needs 0.1k population, costs 2k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES OR ENERGY
    E - Build Mine in 2 or 4 [+0.3k resources per turn, needs 2 energy, needs 0.4k population*, costs 1.5k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES OR ENERGY
    F - Build Mechanised Xenofarm in 4 [+1k food per turn, needs 1 energy, needs 0.1k population to work, costs 1.5k resources, is Big] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES OR ENERGY
    G - Research Planetology [Radiation clean-up]
    I - Research Fundamental Science [???] LABS REQUIRED FOR FURTHER RESEARCH
    J - Research Military [Defensive traps][/quote]

1 - Station the She-Hulks in hex 3 (the mine)
    2 - Station the She-Hulks in hex 5 (the new farm)
    3 - Keep them in NBB with one of the militia units
    4 - Keep them in NBB, but swap the militia to a different hex (3 or 5)

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    H 2

Hydrocarbon researching. We NEED energy. if the population spikes, we have no way of building to counter it.
    after we get some energy, we should clean up the crater for a biodome, if it gets us food and housing

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    H4(5)

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    H4-5

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Let's finish checking out the hexes around NBB while we have some downtime. A[1] - 4[3]

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Throwing in with H4-5.

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    H - 4

Having an elite guard guarding our magnificent supercomputer would be the clever thing to do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H 4(5)

I like where this is going :) Who knows, knowledge of plastics may allow us to place small toys in the food rations in the form of indigestion inducing "prizes"

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I wonder if the mutant women can breathe the planet's atmosphere.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    H-2

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    H-4(5)

• Options
    edited November 2011
    H2
    It's time to research while we save up some resources for our next expansion. Hopefully the hydrocarbons will help out with our energy issue.

But we'll worry about that in the future. For now it's time to SCIENCE, and we will SCIENCE HARD!

see317 on