Options

[EAST] 2012 Challenge Coins - Orders Closed

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    LordGimmik wrote:
    gigabrain wrote:
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    Yeah, inside jokes and goofy stuff is for projects like the excellent PAX East Trading Cards. The Challenge Coin is more serious, the kind of thing that collectors might scour Ebay for a century from now. I think the best proposed joke last year was to put "One if by LAN, two if by Wii" next to the picture of Paul Revere. Even that was rejected. Jokes just don't go on the challenge coin.

I also agree with keeping the landmark ultra-recognizable. It's meant to say "Boston" to the casual outsider. If someone from Chicago looks at it and doesn't know what it represents, then it's failed. That being said, as a member of a fraternal organization, I've seen a lot of medals from various meetings produced over the last century or so, and the Boston bean pot does crop up with surprising frequency on the medals from Boston chapters (here's a nice one that incorporates both the bean pot and the harbor, from a meeting in San Francisco in 1904). I still prefer the USS Constitution, but sure, the bean pot might be a potentially viable idea for next year.

+1 to the no jokes. I've been awarded many challenge coins from both the military and other groups and very VERY few have jokes on them. The only ones that I've received with jokes on them are "unofficial" and aren't shown off outside of the group.

Also that medallion seems to match one I've seen in a display case at a certain building in Boston.

If everyone thinks the coin needs to be super serious, then I'll respect that. I'll remind you though, this is PAX. Three days of people running around dressed as Pokemon and Power Rangers, not a constitutional oversight committee. At what point did any part of PAX get serious? I don't think I had a serious thought for fours days last year other then "I seriously need to find a restroom."

I would also point out that regardless of the name - this isn't really a challenge coin when anybody can go online and order one. There is no membership required, and the only barrier is having an extra $6. This is a collectors coin, nothing more.

Anyone that happens to get the link, which isn't particularly well advertised (on purpose), and it's only a single run for a limited amount of time.

• Options
    Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    For the whole serious vs non-serious thing it is true that real challenge coins are always serious but someone also pointed out that this is PAX and PAX is ridiculous. However, both of those things aside I vote for sticking with the same type of theme as previous years and those have all been serious coins. If we were to stray from that now I'd feel pretty lame putting this year's coin next to any of the previous years' ones.

E68SJmZ.png
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    LordGimmik wrote:
    gigabrain wrote:
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    Yeah, inside jokes and goofy stuff is for projects like the excellent PAX East Trading Cards. The Challenge Coin is more serious, the kind of thing that collectors might scour Ebay for a century from now. I think the best proposed joke last year was to put "One if by LAN, two if by Wii" next to the picture of Paul Revere. Even that was rejected. Jokes just don't go on the challenge coin.

I also agree with keeping the landmark ultra-recognizable. It's meant to say "Boston" to the casual outsider. If someone from Chicago looks at it and doesn't know what it represents, then it's failed. That being said, as a member of a fraternal organization, I've seen a lot of medals from various meetings produced over the last century or so, and the Boston bean pot does crop up with surprising frequency on the medals from Boston chapters (here's a nice one that incorporates both the bean pot and the harbor, from a meeting in San Francisco in 1904). I still prefer the USS Constitution, but sure, the bean pot might be a potentially viable idea for next year.

+1 to the no jokes. I've been awarded many challenge coins from both the military and other groups and very VERY few have jokes on them. The only ones that I've received with jokes on them are "unofficial" and aren't shown off outside of the group.

Also that medallion seems to match one I've seen in a display case at a certain building in Boston.

If everyone thinks the coin needs to be super serious, then I'll respect that. I'll remind you though, this is PAX. Three days of people running around dressed as Pokemon and Power Rangers, not a constitutional oversight committee. At what point did any part of PAX get serious? I don't think I had a serious thought for fours days last year other then "I seriously need to find a restroom."

I would also point out that regardless of the name - this isn't really a challenge coin when anybody can go online and order one. There is no membership required, and the only barrier is having an extra $6. This is a collectors coin, nothing more.

Y'know, as soon as I wrote the bit about "no jokes," I knew someone was going to take this to an extreme and portray me as pushing a joyless, unhappy coin. Yes, PAX is fun, and our coin should reflect that this is a group of people who are having an awesome time. But, the coin is also a permanent relic of PAX. Folks may not think about it, but have a look at the medal picture I posted. That was a bunch of guys marching around downtown wearing ostrich feathers on their heads (I shit you not). Once you cast something in metal, it lives forever. Live out your goofiness, but let the relics you leave behind reflect a more measured sense of who we are to the generations that follow.

I think the coins are a celebration of who we are and what we do: gaming, in Boston. Why try to go beyond that?

• Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    I like a coin that says PAX on it, has some cool images, makes a good "clunk" noise, and I can carry around in my pocket as a weightful reminder of PAX.

Other than that, I don't think most of us mind too much.

• Options
    rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    I'll throw my hat in, and i'm sure the gaming group I'm going with would be interested in it too.

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • Options
    griff6659griff6659 Syracuse , NYRegistered User regular
    Well based on everything I've read so far, I think the coin back should be kept about the same. Plenty of challenge coins don't sit flat, but if people have an issue with that it shouldn't be too bad to have that fixed. This seems to be a yearly tradition so I think we should keep a few things about the coin the same each year to distinguish this coin from its counterpart from PAX Prime. I am a fan of changing the front each year. As far as the front goes, I just care about it capturing the spirit of PAX East.

Well, that is a thing!

PAX East 2014:
    Hotel [x] Transportaion [Driving] Passes [x] Challenge Coin [Soon]

• Options
    Alright, well with the end of the week upon us, and no major new proposals that everyone seems to like, if we want to keep to my proposed timeline, then we should formally announce that the below is our design criteria. Everyone who wants to can feel free to submit a design that broadly conforms to these standards, and we'll create a poll and vote. I would encourage everyone to submit designs. There's no official standards on what the image dimensions or formats or whatever, just bear in mind that the engraver will be using your image as a reference to design from. So make sure there's enough detail to work off of, without having the image too cluttered with stuff that wouldn't show up on a coin.

Materials
    All the same as last year: antique nickel, 1.75", smooth edges.

Obverse
    Arcade machine. It will be up to the submitter to decide whether to focus on just the controls, or depict an entire cabinet, or whatever. Those details will be the kinds of things we can vote on when we see people's submissions. For the rim, everything stays the same (Wheaton's Law in Latin, "Welcome Home," and Pac-Man). I'll message PapaPrinny to see if he's got templates for the rim that we can use.

Reverse
    USS Constitution, AKA "Old Ironsides." Again, individual submissions will dictate the angle of the ship, whether the harbor is visible in the background, etc. Obviously we'd have the same basic text (PAX East 2012, Boston, MA, April 6-8).

To keep us on schedule, we should make sure that all submissions have been posted by November 30th, giving people 2.5 weeks to submit designs.

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    this all sounds pretty awesome. Can't wait to see the submissions!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2, thanks for keeping us on track!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    i missed out on the challenge coin thing last year but totally want one this year.

my only suggestion is not so much for this year but possibly next. i believe the boston skyline is being dismissed a bit too quickly as a reverse side option. i know it's hard for me to judge as a local, but the boston skyline has become more distinctive and more frequently used for souvenirs and the like since the construction of the zakim bridge. perhaps folks can give it some thought when visiting in april and we can further discuss after that.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    ChaosLightChaosLight Registered User regular
    I do like the Zakim bridge. It hasn't really been around long enough or on enough souveniers to be 'iconic' yet, but I would personally enjoy seeing it on my first challenge coin. Not that I have any objections to the Constitution, either.

• Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    Zounds! I have arrived!

Unfortunately, Life!

I will have to decline being involved this time, as things are just too hectic. Ah well, you get that sometimes.

I've messaged koalabro. I'll email him the PSDs once I get his address and you guys can get started with those.

Peace

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    ChaosLight wrote:
    I do like the Zakim bridge. It hasn't really been around long enough or on enough souveniers to be 'iconic' yet

All the more reason to use it. Add to the iconic-ness(?) of it. I like the skyline idea better than the ship idea.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    Alright folks, here's papaprinny's PSD files from last year. Those submitting entries are encouraged to use these as templates in terms of getting the borders and such right.
    http://www.bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2011ChallengeCoinmockupreverse2-1-2011.psd
    http://www.bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2011ChallengeCoinmockupobverse.psd

• Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The coins should come in at a bit less than 5 dollars a piece with shipping if they're similar to last years PAX East coin. Die fees and the flat production fee are around $300. I covered half that for the PAX East coin last year, but I don't think I can do that for this one.

Here is something I whipped up to illustrate a possible arcade cabinet view.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I'm so excited about these. The design plan sounds fantastic!

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    karmacappa wrote:
    The coins should come in at a bit less than 5 dollars a piece with shipping if they're similar to last years PAX East coin. Die fees and the flat production fee are around $300. I covered half that for the PAX East coin last year, but I don't think I can do that for this one.

Here is something I whipped up to illustrate a possible arcade cabinet view.

No way you should have to cover 50% of the die cost - I tried to donate last year and the chip-in was full before I even knew it was up! There shouldn't be a problem getting the $300. They are still coming in the little plastic capsules, right? That is a much nicer option than the little baggies.

I like your rendition of the cabinet, although due to the oblong nature, I would probably chop it off right under the coin slots and have it kind of coming out of the border. Otherwise you're going to have a lot of white/empty space to the sides of it and it will be very thin and tall.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    Yeah, I added on the capsules last time. It is a little bit extra, but it makes sure the coins aren't damaged in shipment (especially if you order multiple coins) and provides longer term protection than the PVC pouches that are the default.

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm much more a fan of the capsules than the bags/pouches. Absolutely worth the extra money

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I am SO on board with a Challenge coin for 2012.

My only problem with last year's coin was that the horse on the reverse side was in such deep relief that the coin doesn't sit flat. (Though I think I got the end of the second batch, so I don't know if the first was like that.)

I also agree that the capsules were worth the extra bit of money! They really added to the collectible feeling of the coin.

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
  • Options
    Do we have some designs coming in? It's getting close to the time when we need to be deciding which to use.

• Options
    We have not. I'll post two alternative designs tomorrow, and we'll vote on those.

• Options
    Alright, here's the first set of designs (yeah, I'm late, law school finals suck). I'll post an alternative design for the obverse as soon as I'm able (more of a "crest" design, assembled from control panel components). I see no reason for another fundamental version of the reverse (I tried various designs with the skyline in the background, and it was just too cluttered). We won't do a formal vote, just let me know what you think, any changes, etc. As noted last year, these designs do NOT get fed automatically into some kind of a coin stamping machine. Rather, we send these (along with reference images) to USCC's artists, who then engrave the die based on the elements in the mock-up. So don't sweat the small stuff, like the different shades of grey on the front and back. This is about layout and elements. Without further ado:
    http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupobverseMachine.gif
    http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupreverse.gif

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I LOVE the arcade cabinet design! It's perfect!

• Options
    KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    I love the way Ol' Ironsides looks on it. And i love the Cabinet Design. i like it a lot.

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    I approve, nice work. It'll be wonderful if we can get these out early enough that people will reliably have them before PAX East.
    The negative space on the sides of the cabinet does bother me a bit though. Perhaps we can find something fitting to place there?

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    Maybe a d20 on one side (could borrow it from last year's template) or even a d12 if we wanted to further emphasize the year; not sure what would go on the other side. I would say a d-pad from a controller but that seems redundant with the cabinet and may be hard to differentiate from a simple cross.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we should keep the theme consistent with arcade stuff, but maybe a couple of, um, "generic 8-bit aliens?"
    http://thumb-culture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/spaceinvaders.jpg

Oh, and as for getting these out on time, as long as we've got the final design by the 16th (I'm pushing back my timetable a couple days because of finals), we should have them in hand in plenty of time.

KoalaBro2 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    What about a D20 on one side and a D12 on the other side? 2012 anyone?

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    as much as I like the D20 D12 idea, I think I prefer the "generic 8-bit aliens" idea.

As for throwing one other space filler into the ring, maybe some quarters or arcade tokens?

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    as much as I like the D20 D12 idea, I think I prefer the "generic 8-bit aliens" idea.

As for throwing one other space filler into the ring, maybe some quarters or arcade tokens?

I agree we should stick with the arcade theme, but quarters/tokens on this small scale might be unidentifiable. 8-bit aliens would be awesome if they can fit recognizably.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    The whitespace (metalspace?) was bothering me, too - I like the 8-bit alien idea as well! Barring that, we could do the 2012 in the Robotron font, split as mentioned with the dice . . . although that would duplicate the date from the front. Overall, I like the aliens idea most, as a ranked background image . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    I like the arcade cabinet but the boat seems sort of ... generic, even if I'm for using that symbol. Perhaps have a different angle?

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Heleor wrote:
    I like the arcade cabinet but the boat seems sort of ... generic, even if I'm for using that symbol. Perhaps have a different angle?

I have to agree with this.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Khadour wrote:
    The whitespace (metalspace?) was bothering me, too - I like the 8-bit alien idea as well! Barring that, we could do the 2012 in the Robotron font, split as mentioned with the dice . . . although that would duplicate the date from the front. Overall, I like the aliens idea most, as a ranked background image . . .
    This or the aliens would make for a good way to fill the negative space.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Still not a fan of the boat, would prefer the same face as last year, but that's just my opinion.

PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    Byrn StuffByrn Stuff Registered User new member
    I had to read up on challenge coins and their relationship with PAX, but I'm totally down for this.

• Options
    Alright, new version, with aliens (uploaded it over the old file, since everyone seems to agree that it needs a little something):
    http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupobverseMachine.gif

For the reverse, I worked up one more that's a bit more dramatic (though I'm not sure that it's any better). Anyway, let me know what you think on the two versions. If neither of them work for you, I encourage you to submit your own.
    Original:
    http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupreverse.gif

New, "more dramatic" angle:
    http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupreverseV2.gif

• Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Still neither do it for me, but i'm no artist. Still in the opinion one side should be kept the same, so I suggest this :)
    paxeast2011challengecoi.png

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    Still neither do it for me, but i'm no artist. Still in the opinion one side should be kept the same, so I suggest this :)
    Hey, I liked the idea of keeping the reverse the same too, but everyone else clearly felt otherwise. If, now that people see the mockup, they want to go back to Paul Revere, I'm happy to go with that, but I think you and I are going to remain in the minority on this one.

This discussion has been closed.