As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] 2012 Challenge Coins - Orders Closed

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    last year I bought two - one for me and one for mykeyii.

this year I'll probably buy a few, especially if assassins gets going again - I might give these out to people I kill (or to whoever kills me, if they can!) looking forward to seeing it IRL, and thanks for all your hard work karmacappa!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I think I got ten last year - ended up giving them out to the people I know who attended. I'll be doing the same this year.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Assasins? Sounds like fun.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I bought 10 last year and handed them out to people who were excellent. GMs who ran outstanding games, Enforcers who were doing excellent things, it was nice to be able to reward people who deserved it. I plan to do the same again this year.

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Did anyone notice the existance of this?

http://www.uschallengecoins.com/store/pax-east-brass-challenge-coin

I know it's not the one we got last year, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows where it came from....

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kiashien wrote:
    Did anyone notice the existance of this?

http://www.uschallengecoins.com/store/pax-east-brass-challenge-coin

I know it's not the one we got last year, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows where it came from....

It appears that it was a custom coin karmacappa had made that was totally separate from the forum community (not sure if it was just for himself or something else)
    source: http://www.challengecoinforum.com/index.php?topic=5806.0

• Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    So some bad news. Apparently there are problems with USCC. I've lost contact with them, and am unsure about the progress on the project. I'm talking to some other folks to see if I can muscle an alternative through. If it happens that way, I'm going to be basically have to take on the financial side myself and handle the distribution. The timing might be close. When I know more about the situation, I'll update you all.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    karmacappa wrote:
    So some bad news. Apparently there are problems with USCC. I've lost contact with them, and am unsure about the progress on the project. I'm talking to some other folks to see if I can muscle an alternative through. If it happens that way, I'm going to be basically have to take on the financial side myself and handle the distribution. The timing might be close. When I know more about the situation, I'll update you all.
    Wow - that sucks. Keep us in the loop. If I remember right, the $300 die cost last year was raised in less than 24 hours, so if you need help on that part of things, it's not far away.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    karmacappa wrote:
    Well that blows :( My Prime '11 coin showed up yesterday, which made me more excited to get a coin for East '12...

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah, their distribution center must still be fine, since I got the extras I ordered as well.

• Options
    I talked to them today, and they got hit pretty hard by the economy. They won't be able to produce the community coin, but I'm looking into alternatives. Basically, I'm going to pick up all their remaining Prime 11 coins, as they really shouldn't have been left with more than 4 or 5 max.
    As I said, I'm looking into alternative methods of getting the challenge coin produced still, but it'll be close and I'll be having to front the money for the full price of the coin run and do the shipping myself. Obviously a large part of this depends on just the feasibility of the logistics of it. I'll let you all know when I know more.

• Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I had just looked around online and there is a site called coinable that seems to be a decent price, either way just let us know and I am sure everyone will gladly chip in. (I am having the worst time posting from my phone today)

• Options
    LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I do want to take part in this since I missed the one last year (and if anyone has one that they'd like to sell, I'd be more than willing to pay for it, that design is awesome). If I can chip in to help get the coins produced, I'll gladly do so. I do hope that we can get this up and running, though. :)

• Options
    edited February 2012
    So a few updates.
    I'm talking to someone experienced in the field who I've worked with before, and we have every chance of getting the coin out. We're going to have to do this like a normal challenge coin production run though. When we get a figure for the die/factory fees, I'll put up a collection for those funds. Once we have the die, I'm going to pay for about $800 of coins. I'll have to accept reimbursement for coins and shipping, and hopefully won't lose too much on it. There might be a narrow window for requesting the coins from me, so stay on top of it people. Talking to the person I'm working with, we figured that is about 200 coins. We can always do another run of the coins at a later time. This is mostly just to ensure that we get out a coin to ensure continuity.
    It will probably be more expensive than through USCC simply because of shipping. I am not personally equipped to ship, so it will be me running down to a store or post office and doing it myself. Generally it is about $5 an order for shipping to the US. Any international orders I'll have to deal with individually.
    I'm really sorry about the changes, but we simply won't be able to do an order like we have for the past couple. I'm going to try my best to get one out for PAX EAST 2012 and make it as painless as possible for you guys.

As another note, I'll probably be picking up all the PAX Prime 2011 coins from USCC. I'll probably end up doing them the exact same way as the PAX East 2012 coins.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    I would still love to get a coin, and the plan sounds as good as it could be considering. Let me know when/where to send money, and I will.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Probably too late at this point to try to put together a more elegant solution, but probably in future years the way to do it is to set an order deadline a month or two in advance, then just do a run equal to the number of advance orders we have. Funds could be collected through Paypal, handed over to the coin provider as a lump sum, and hopefully they could at least handle mailing them out for us. A second run could probably be done for late orders, with the deadline, say, a month after the event.

Karmacappa, to try to alleviate the shipping burden on you, would it make sense at all to set a time and place to try to distribute some portion of the coins at PAX (e.g., people pay in advance, but show ID to get the coin from you during a half hour window or something)? Or would that be even more of a logistical headache do you think?

• Options
    heh, set up a challenge coin acquisition party ;)

Might be worth it. We could set it up for lunch on Friday, maybe, and swarm legal sea food or something. We all need to eat anyway, eh?

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    Kiashien wrote:

Might be worth it. We could set it up for lunch on Friday, maybe, and swarm legal sea food or something. We all need to eat anyway, eh?

its amazing how much I neglect that eating thing during PAX

• Options
    Kiashien wrote:

Sounds great!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok, we've got initial artwork back from Eric. We're moving really quick on this one to give as much of a window as possible.
    Preliminary artwork

Unfortunately I won't be attending PAX due to financial concerns. However, if someone wants to organize a meet up, we can have that as an option to save people money on shipping. Anyone who wants to consolidate their shipments with another person and just meet up at PAX to get their coins would be helping in a lot of ways, especially people that are not in the continental US.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    Looks amazing! I'm happy doing a meetup to get the coin. Saves you on shipping, and I'm sure there are many of us that are attending other meetups that it would work well. Or we could just have someone on the front gate/entrance to the exhibit hall at certain times, that wold work too.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Looks amazing! I'm happy doing a meetup to get the coin. Saves you on shipping, and I'm sure there are many of us that are attending other meetups that it would work well. Or we could just have someone on the front gate/entrance to the exhibit hall at certain times, that wold work too.

I'm with you on this one. Having someone at the front entrance area, or the queue room (once its not in use) a few times a day with coins would be a great distribution method. Once the schedule is released and I make my plans, I'd be willing to volunteer for a shift doing this.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    Me too. I will gladly volunteer to help distribute.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    gigabrain wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I'm willing to bet if those 50 extra coins haven't been melted down yet and they make them available for sale, that people would buy them.

They haven't...they're currently being sold on the USCC webstore under the same link.

http://www.uschallengecoins.com/store/pax-prime-coin-2011

Oh man, the link won't work now. I knew I waited too long to pick up one of these.
    Anybody have a spare I could buy? if not, oh well. Lesson learned.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    karmacappa wrote:
    Ok, we've got initial artwork back from Eric. We're moving really quick on this one to give as much of a window as possible.
    Preliminary artwork

Unfortunately I won't be attending PAX due to financial concerns. However, if someone wants to organize a meet up, we can have that as an option to save people money on shipping. Anyone who wants to consolidate their shipments with another person and just meet up at PAX to get their coins would be helping in a lot of ways, especially people that are not in the continental US.

Looks awesome, appreciate your hard work in salvaging a tough situation. Sorry to hear you won't be at PAX, we'll miss you for sure. Sounds like we've had plenty of people pounce on the meet-up idea. I would suggest that we require people to show ID, lest some unscrupulous person walk off with other people's coins.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    karmacappa wrote:
    Preliminary artwork

Looks awesome, appreciate your hard work in salvaging a tough situation. Sorry to hear you won't be at PAX, we'll miss you for sure. Sounds like we've had plenty of people pounce on the meet-up idea. I would suggest that we require people to show ID, lest some unscrupulous person walk off with other people's coins.

indeed. there would need to be a master list of all who have paid for coins that could be passed off, along with the coin stash, amongst people who would like to sign up for distribution shifts (if that is how we want to do this). then folks can just show id, get crossed off the list, and receive their coins. i would be down for hanging in the queue room and distributing coins whenever needed.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    karmacappa wrote:
    Preliminary artwork

Well I am in Boston and will be glad to help as much as I can with distribution to people.

• Options
    What I'm thinking is that we could do a "will call" type deal. Have 3 or 4 people who are organizers and each receive a portion of the will call coins. They can then work out a schedule where each shows up once a day at some pre-planned location and distributes coins to will call people that show up. This would allow us to pretty much eliminate shipping costs for anyone that wants to go with that method. This would be the preferred method of delivery, as it reduces costs and shipping times, which would especially be helpful for anyone who would otherwise have to use international shipping. We will have to work out some kind of list protocol and redundancy, but I'm sure that is doable.

So I've put the money down on the coins. I have rolled all the costs into one bundle, so we won't have a mold fee collection. That will just be figured into the final cost of the coins so that it is distributed among everyone buying (and reduces the amount of Paypal transactions). It's looking like we'll be able to offer them at about 4.7 dollars, but that's just a preliminary estimate, and doesn't include shipping. I'm thinking that I'll be doing invoices for everyone that orders and accepting Paypal. I'll give more info on it when I have it.

I apologize to everyone for all of these methods. I don't think this is the best way to do it, but right now it's the only way I can think of within the constraints we have to get this out there with the least financial burden to anyone involved and the best chance of having everything done in time for PAX. The best way is really to have an existing business set up to front the money and handle it as a simple transaction, but right now we don't have anyone that can do this in the time allotted.

• Options
    Thank you again for setting this up Karmacappa. Sorry to hear that you won't make it to PAX, but we're all very thankful that you've gone through all this trouble.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I can help distribute, if needed - I live in the Boston area, and will be attending many of the pre-PAX events.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    I would be very happy to help hand these out at Pax, and to pick mine up there. Just let me know what you need.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i'm also local, and would like to help distribute during pax. i don't mind being flexible with my schedule and i'm at the westin so i'll be around all weekend. i think it would be fun to set up in the vacant queue room or somewhere and get to meet a bunch of folks picking up coins.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm more than willing to help distribute the coins.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Thanks for getting all this together - I know we're excited about buying this year as we totally missed out last year.
    Keep us posted on how you want us to contact/pay you for our orders :) I know I'm getting at least 2 guaranteed :D

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    I'm definitely doing the pokecrawl (Boston local) so I can distrubute any during that if need be. Might be extra-complicated for me, but I'm sure I can make it work (I actually know the bars, after all, lol)

• Options
    Also, if people are down, I could organize a Coiners lunch on friday. Still awaiting schedule to try and pick times, is all :(

• Options
    If memory serves, the convention schedule doesn't go up until about 2-3 weeks out, so yeah, that's probably going to be some last minute planning for us. Obviously, I'm happy to help as well, though it seems like we've got a solid number of people already.

One thing I would like to mention is that, if we're only going to be minting 200 of these things, we're probably going to run out quick, so people should at least consider ordering fewer than they otherwise might, to give as many people as possible a chance to buy at least one. It sounds like we can probably do a second run after PAX if you need to get a whole bunch to fill your Scrooge McDuck-style coin-filled swimming pool. I don't think we're setting a formal limit on the number you can order or anything, just something to keep in mind.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I'm interested in a coin and can also help distribute. I'll be Enforcing so it should be pretty easy to find me and I've got the means to carry a pocket full of coins without too much trouble.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I probably can't help with distribution, unfortunately, but I'm interested in picking up a coin.

• Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    I'll definitely pick up a coin as well!

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

This discussion has been closed.