As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Your ultimate PAX music lineup

Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in PAX Archive
While we're waiting for an official listing from the powers that be, why don't we all fantasize for a moment about our ultimate lineup at PAX. I will start.

Friday: The OneUps / Anamanaguchi / FreezePop

Saturday: Jonathan Coulton / Paul & Storm / The Minibosses

No this would not be the order, just what I would love to see.

Moe Fwacky on

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I pretty much agree completely with that list! I miss Freezepop and The OneUps terribly (even though I'll be seeing both of them within the next couple months). I like the Minibosses but I could deal without them. I'd have to add The Protomen, Metroid Metal, and Powerglove to the list for it to be a perfect lineup in my mind though.

NSw0gum.png
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    In any order:
    Metroid metal
    Anamanaguchi
    The oneups
    VGO
    Freezepop
    Minibosses

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    mc chris.
    done

don't judge me!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I want me some Freezepops. Also I wonder why Lemon Demon has never been invited, he even lives in Boston.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Freezepop, The Protomen, Bang Camaro, Anamanaguchi would make me very happy to see.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rap night: MC Frontalot, Random (Mega Ran), Adam WarRock, mc chris, and Beefy.

Rock night: Anyone other than JoCo, I just can't get into that dude no matter what. Unless he's just doing his cover of Baby Got Back for an hour...

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DarkIDefenderDarkIDefender Registered User new member
    I only really know Anamanaguchi, so I just hope they are there.

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Fri night: BitShifter, MC Frontalot, Paul and Storm
    Sat night: JoCo, VGO, Anamanguchi

Edit: Oh yeah, and Freezepop in there somewhere too! So many awesome groups, so little time :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Whatever it is I'm going to be hammered the night Frontalot plays.

He was great sober. I bet he is amazing after some Cape Cods.

• AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    Seriously, I love JoCo, P&S, Frontalot, and all the other musicians who keep coming to PAX. It's just that I've been to so many PAXes, and the concerts are basically the same thing every time. Also, I live in NYC, so I can buy tickets and see almost anything if I wait for it to come to town eventually. Even if someone awesome and new like Adam Warrock plays at PAX, I'm not going to spend precious and rare PAX time to see him when I can see him at some other time.

That's why there's only one band on my ultimate PAX music line up. A band that to my knowledge has never played in the USA. A band that might only come here if a group like PAX put up the resources to make it happen.

http://machinaesupremacy.com/

Apreche wrote:
    Seriously, I love JoCo, P&S, Frontalot, and all the other musicians who keep coming to PAX. It's just that I've been to so many PAXes, and the concerts are basically the same thing every time. Also, I live in NYC, so I can buy tickets and see almost anything if I wait for it to come to town eventually. Even if someone awesome and new like Adam Warrock plays at PAX, I'm not going to spend precious and rare PAX time to see him when I can see him at some other time.

That's why there's only one band on my ultimate PAX music line up. A band that to my knowledge has never played in the USA. A band that might only come here if a group like PAX put up the resources to make it happen.

http://machinaesupremacy.com/

There's a band I haven't heard of in a while, I loved that song they did about Serial Experiments Lain. I need to check out some of their new releases ASAP.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    ...GWAR. Make it happen!

The MCs Front, Lars and Random would be wonderful. Nice Peter would be interesting too.

• Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    On a side note, does anyone else think JoCo should not be the closer any more? I think he is good, but not great. I feel like Paul & Storm should close the show, given how much energy they pump in to everyone. And if not them, someone else. I really enjoyed JoCo when it was him and an acoustic guitar, but ever since he went with the band, his music is lost on me. His lyrics are very important to enjoy the songs, and his band drowns that out. Unless you know his music, you can't get in to it. Sorry to go all "Bob Dylan" on that.

• Crazy DaveCrazy Dave Registered User new member
    If I were in charge:

Friday: The OneUps, mc chris, FreezePop

Saturday: Anamanaguchi, JoCo, Weird Al.

Hey, I can dream, right?

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    On a side note, does anyone else think JoCo should not be the closer any more? I think he is good, but not great. I feel like Paul & Storm should close the show, given how much energy they pump in to everyone. And if not them, someone else. I really enjoyed JoCo when it was him and an acoustic guitar, but ever since he went with the band, his music is lost on me. His lyrics are very important to enjoy the songs, and his band drowns that out. Unless you know his music, you can't get in to it. Sorry to go all "Bob Dylan" on that.

JoCo didn't close last PAX Prime, Supercommuter did, and it was completely unfair to Supercommuter. After JoCo, 75% of the main theater cleared out, which was unfortunate because Supercommuter rocked the house. JoCo works better as a closer just because of his sheer popularity. As for just JoCo vs. JoCo with the band, that's another matter entirely.

E6LkoFK.png

• Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    Yeah I only stayed for Paul & Storm at Prime this year. I thought Supercommuter had pulled out because JoCo was always the closer. His popularity does keep the crowd there though. Putting the popular one last is a great way to keep people there.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    My dream line up:
    Friday: MC Lars, MC Frontalot, MC Chris, Protomen
    Saturday: VGO, Paul and Storm, "Weird Al" Yankovic

I would rather Jo Co continue closing so I can leave early. I tried to get into him last year and I just do not get it at all. Paul and Storm blew me away and I became a huge fan. Jo Co did nothing for me.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Is moshing allowed at the BCEC/PAX?

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Any weekend with The Protomen and JoCo/Paul and Storm is a winner for me. Having all those guys on the same night would be complete win, but I think I would be too tired from dancing and partying to be any use the next day of the con!
    Is moshing allowed at the BCEC/PAX?
    There was a mini-mosh last year at the Protomen's set, but I don't know if it is technically allowed.

UyhWici.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would guess that if anything got looking like it might be violent or hurting someone, it would be stopped immediately by the staff for the concerts. There's probably such a thing as "mosh-like dancing" that is non-violent but based on the real mosh pits I've been in, I wouldn't guess a traditional mosh would be allowed.

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Moshing is definitely not allowed. I noticed it during The Protomen's set last East as well as it was right behind me, but the enforcers caught it right away. It didn't last long anyway, but if it does happen it will be stopped. Of course all kinds of dancing and jumping is fine, just not much beyond that.

NSw0gum.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    I would guess that if anything got looking like it might be violent or hurting someone, it would be stopped immediately by the staff for the concerts. There's probably such a thing as "mosh-like dancing" that is non-violent but based on the real mosh pits I've been in, I wouldn't guess a traditional mosh would be allowed.

That's more of what I'm hoping for. I saw the ProtoMen earlier this month in Cambridge and it was in the tiniest venue I've ever been to, and there was 0 movement, just people fist pumping, which I just couldn't bring myself to do and I was just getting bored (the concert was amazing though, so with a giant PAX theater I expect it to be better).

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Friday:
    The Protomen
    The Protomen
    The Protomen

Saturday:
    The Protomen
    The Protomen
    The Protomen

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    COULTRON!! Bring it back, with a twist: JoCo on acoustic, Metroid Metal on backup guitar, Black Lotus/Brandon Patton on bass, Paul and Storm on backup vocals, and Marty Beller on the "drum guitar" with the drummers from The Protomen and Metroid Metal. Or, basically what Paul and Storm did, but with Jonathan Coulton songs.

Also, I'm with everyone else: we need Anamanaguchi, Freezepop, and the One Ups back!

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    Oh man, yeah Coultron for sure! That was definitely the highlight of East 2010 for me.

NSw0gum.png
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    MC Frontalot, JoCo, Paul and Storm, MC Chris, VGO, Anamanaguchi... in no particular order.

I also enjoyed the Protomen, but I'm just not as familiar with their music

AN9buWz.png
    Moshing really ruins any concert experience for me, so I'm glad they put a stop to it ASAP at PAX.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    I would love, love, love to see the VGO and Protomen combine for a full scale production of Act i and Act II... outside the scope of PAX, I know, but seriously, if I ever win the lottery, that shit's going to be on my "Make Happen" list.

Back in the real world, Friday: Metroid Metal (first so they don't have the dispiriting exodus they had this year :( ), MC Frontalot, Anamanaguchi and Protomen closing (they totally blew me away this year, really hope to catch them again and see how they've built things).
    Saturday: VGO, *insert random act here*, Paul and Storm then JoCo to close... I kinda agree about a lot of the comments about JoCo and while I think P+S would make awesome closers they can just come on at the end for a mash-up/collaboration!

Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Did none of you hit up the Magfest room last year? Because you are missing two really good bands on your lists. Armcannon which is crazy awesome, has the guitarist from Metroid Metal. And Powerglove, which takes video game music to a whole new level and they are also from Boston! These two bands had a waiting line out of the door when they played and definitely deserve a spot in the Main concerts this year.

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    yanksrul5 wrote:
    Did none of you hit up the Magfest room last year? Because you are missing two really good bands on your lists. Armcannon which is crazy awesome, has the guitarist from Metroid Metal. And Powerglove, which takes video game music to a whole new level and they are also from Boston! These two bands had a waiting line out of the door when they played and definitely deserve a spot in the Main concerts this year.

You should come to MAGFest itself this January ;)

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    As nice as it would be for the Protomen to headline, Commander just isn't interested in being the closing band. That said:

Friday: The Protomen, The Oneups, I Fight Dragons
    Saturday: VGO, Supercommuter, Anamanaguchi

Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    yanksrul5 wrote:

You should come to MAGFest itself this January ;)

I have been trying to for the last few years and was going this year but I started a new job and can't ask off for that and EAST.

• MesoianMesoian Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Powerglove
    Protomen Vs The megas (It would be sublime)
    Psychostick
    ___
    YMCK
    Anamanaguchi
    The Konami Kode

Mesoian on
  • CheeseDAWGCheeseDAWG Self-proclaimed NOOB Philadelphia, PARegistered User new member
    Would it be wrong for The Aquabats to play?
    They put on one the of the best live sets I have ever seen.
    If not I would love to see:

Joco
    The Aquabats
    Paul & Storm

• arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Wubstep.

I dunno, I'm not so much a fan of the music at PAX. I enjoy some of the bands now and then, but it's not the sort of thing that ends up on my daily playlists.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    OMG! I love the aquabats. A Paul and Storm, Aquabats, and Joco lineup would rock so hard.

• dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    yanksrul5 wrote:
    Did none of you hit up the Magfest room last year? Because you are missing two really good bands on your lists. Armcannon which is crazy awesome, has the guitarist from Metroid Metal.
    Danimal just put out his first full length album on bandcamp yesterday and its spectacular. I urge everyone to check Danimal Cannon out, especially if you don't know what chiptune is.
    http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/album/roots

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Friday:
    The Protomen
    The Protomen
    The Protomen

Saturday:
    The Protomen
    The Protomen
    The Protomen

p much this man

also re the Cambridge show vs PAX: I get the feeling that the crowd will be better, but you lose a lot of the magic when you can't be RIGHT UP CLOSE with the band. I was on the rails at Cambridge and ended up actually having to catch Turbo Lover when he went crowdsurfing, which is something that given PAX's setup I think would be a little harder. Then I also hung out and drank with Panther and Murphy afterwards, ALSO something not as likely to happen at PAX
    Still, I'm certain they'll rock everyone's faces off.
    Also I did get a personal promise from Panther that yes, the Protomen ARE coming, though he was a little surprised when I informed him that PAX is Easter weekend this year.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Then I also hung out and drank with Panther and Murphy afterwards, ALSO something not as likely to happen at PAX

At official PAX? Nah. But at the PAX community stuff? Oh hell yeah. I was doing Jaegerbombs with the band after their show at the Post-Pax (Prime) Party at Jillian's and shot the shit with Murphy for a bit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • aeonfluxaeonflux Registered User new member
    yes please Freezepop Freezepop Freezepop!!! this is gonna be my first year attending and I want to see their new lineup KICK ALL THE BUTTS.

powerglove would be fun

math the band as well

wheee!