Options

Video Game Industry Thread: November's done, post in the new thread

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I absolutely love the new Kinect ad I saw yesterday.

http://youtu.be/T_QLguHvACs

Microsoft: "This thing is so fuckin' advanced it has cured cancer and you can even play musical instruments that aren't there!"

Customer: "So where are the games to play with it?"

Microsoft: "Dowha?"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure both Motion+ and Move can do one to one type stuff. It's just that 99% of the time it is to complex to do so. Ie 1:1 sword stuff will always have the problem of what happens when your sword connects with something.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    As a person who owns a Kinect I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. My wife enjoys Dance Central but other than that it gets almost no play time. We have ~6ft of clearance so we can't actually play 2 player games.

• Options
    Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Is this whole tangent an attempt to get Fraggle to come out and play with us?

I'd get a kinect, but I lack the space to set one up. The same issue concerns me somewhat, when considering getting the Nextbox, especially if the sensor is mandatory with every conceivable use of the console.

Jobless Anarchist on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I grabbed the MGS Collection from Best Buy online, it's backordered so I won't get it till late December. Bleh.

Gamestop online is selling Crack in Time for 14 bucks, so I'll do that, but I still need to find a place to get Tools of Destruction.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    As a person who owns a Kinect I have to say I'm sorely disappointed. My wife enjoys Dance Central but other than that it gets almost no play time. We have ~6ft of clearance so we can't actually play 2 player games.

Get a Zoom, they're pretty neat.
    Keep wanting to type Xoom

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Skyward Sword isn't even true 1:1 like everyone always anticipated. You swing in a direction and it plays a canned animation of Link striking that way. Oh sure, it can do 1:1, as evidenced by the way you move the sword when not swinging, and the bug net...but they didn't design the game that way, probably for good reasons.

I've read quite a few people saying they enjoy Skyward Sword but when you experience its controls you can really see why Sony and Microsoft might be having trouble fitting similar schemes into their games. It's designed very carefully to fit the game, and honestly the motion controls do not always work. Fortunately those few times are forgivable.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I played Child of Eden. Then again, I'm one of the few... it sold horribly, like 25,000 copies if I'm thinking right. Shame, it's a good game.

I still have a hard time understanding this. It had awesome word of mouth going for it, the whole internet seemed to want it for a while. How do these games keep getting buried?
    This one in particular? Because it is short and was released at full retail price. I know that length isn't a measure of quality, but $60 for a game that can be played in a day isn't going to set the charts on fire.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My brother in law bought Child of Eden, and he is having huge buyer's remorse for it due to the length of the game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jobless AnarchistJobless Anarchist Hug me!!! VantaaRegistered User regular
    I just ordered the game for 12.50 €. Is that too much?

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Seems like an adequate price for the game.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:
    Pretty sure both Motion+ and Move can do one to one type stuff. It's just that 99% of the time it is to complex to do so. Ie 1:1 sword stuff will always have the problem of what happens when your sword connects with something.

I'm pretty sure that would need to become a learned thing on the player's side. Much like how you can keep pressing Up in Pacman when he's against a wall, it just won't do jack. Someone will need to make the 1:1 sword game that teaches players when an impact is negated or clashes what you should be doing with your 'sword' to deal with that situation.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The real problem with 1:1 swordplay is that, essentially, the player would have to become an actually good swordsman. Proper swing, follow-through, angle (so you actually cut your opponent rather than whack him with the flat), etc. And that's before you get to the fact that your arm won't encounter any resistance, which throws 1:1 right out of the water. Imagine swinging your sword to hit the guy, but he brings up his sword and the two of you struggle, sword to sword... only your arm has swung all the way down and you'll have to readjust to the fact that, woops, your sword is all the way up there rubbing against the other guy's sword.

Which is why swordplay with motion controls is either extremely simplified or assisted, a la Skyward Sword. Even though people have been begging for "real" swordfighting since, well, the Wii was introduced.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    More simply, Motion Control has no feedback. That's a problem for many applications.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Someone has dared to counter Ubisoft on the evils of the PC.

http://gamingfeeder.net/2011/11/croteam-on-piracy-people-will-pay-for-awesome/
    Serious Sam 3: BFE is apparently doing quite well on Steam, with Croteam boasting on Twitter that “people will pay for awesome.” According to the studio CFO Fork Parker, SS3 “combats piracy by being a fun, frantic game and offers wild ass 16-player campaign co-op.”

Sensing an opportunity, I contacted Mr. Parker to get some extended thoughts on the piracy issue.

“Piracy is a problem and there is no denying that but the success of games like Skyrim and our own Serious Sam 3 on PC illustrates that there is clearly a market willing to pay for PC games,” he said. “It’s on the developers and publishers to put something out on the market that’s worth paying for in the first place. Those that place the blame on the consumer need to rethink the quality of their products and the frequency in which they shovel out derivative titles each year.

“The other side of the equation is the distribution model. In games, we have amazing PC digital download services like Steam, Get Games and Direct2Drive doing the same thing for games that iTunes did for music. Offer the consumer a variety of great digital content at a reasonable price and the majority will happily pay for the games that suit their tastes.”

While Ubisoft developers cry about 95% piracy rates, games like Skyrim and Serious Sam 3 are raking in the dubloons from PC gamers. While being good doesn’t guarantee that your game won’t get stolen, being crap or treating all customers as criminals certainly doesn’t help.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    That hilarious figure that 95% of people pirate their game really tells you all you need to know about Ubisoft's utter contempt for the PC market and customers.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I wouldn't compare Skyrim and Serious Sam 3 in terms of release (besides, "they came out at about the same time? Kinda?"), but the point stands.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    As many competent developers have already discovered, the question is not what percent of people pirated your game, but whether you made enough money that selling the game on the platform was worth it anyway. And for many devs, the answer's yes.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Is this whole tangent an attempt to get Fraggle to come out and play with us?

I'd get a kinect, but I lack the space to set one up. The same issue concerns me somewhat, when considering getting the Nextbox, especially if the sensor is mandatory with every conceivable use of the console.

Maybe? It is kind of funny that this tangent is from an article talking about how the Move isn't selling. I guess you can file the Kinect part under, "no news is bad news."

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    The real problem with 1:1 swordplay is that, essentially, the player would have to become an actually good swordsman. Proper swing, follow-through, angle (so you actually cut your opponent rather than whack him with the flat), etc. And that's before you get to the fact that your arm won't encounter any resistance, which throws 1:1 right out of the water. Imagine swinging your sword to hit the guy, but he brings up his sword and the two of you struggle, sword to sword... only your arm has swung all the way down and you'll have to readjust to the fact that, woops, your sword is all the way up there rubbing against the other guy's sword.

Which is why swordplay with motion controls is either extremely simplified or assisted, a la Skyward Sword. Even though people have been begging for "real" swordfighting since, well, the Wii was introduced.

Yeah. Lack of weight and lack of resistance kills the idea of 1:1 sword fighting for me.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    And here's Gabe Newell's take on PC piracy. It boils down to "make it as easy to get your game legally as it is to do it illegally and they will come"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hmm.. the Kinect having slowed down might mean a new Xbox sooner than later. I'm still saying 2012 announcement, 2013 release though.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Hmm.. the Kinect having slowed down might mean a new Xbox sooner than later. I'm still saying 2012 announcement, 2013 release though.

But it's all speculation, really. We don't have any new info from Microsoft since March.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    And here's Gabe Newell's take on PC piracy. It boils down to "make it as easy to get your game legally as it is to do it illegally and they will come"

Awesome.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Opty wrote:

Steam really just bitchslaps every DRM argument there is.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not every one. I've got a coworker/friend who has had his Steam account stolen/hacked or otherwise taken away from him 3 times now. I think the last one was a VAC ban that he couldn't overturn, or something. Not sure. Steam really needs better ways to verify people and make sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen, or possibly even an appeals process for banning so it isn't permanent.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i love the bit about russia, really drives it home. i hope companies see valve/steam's success and try to emulate their ideas more.

• Options
    Athenor wrote:
    Not every one. I've got a coworker/friend who has had his Steam account stolen/hacked or otherwise taken away from him 3 times now. I think the last one was a VAC ban that he couldn't overturn, or something. Not sure. Steam really needs better ways to verify people and make sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen, or possibly even an appeals process for banning so it isn't permanent.

Not sure what this has to do with DRM.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    i love the bit about russia, really drives it home. i hope companies see valve/steam's success and try to emulate their ideas more.

I don't. I like my singleplayer games. Valve's answer to piracy isn't Steam. It's online games where they can sell $5 hats. It's why he said Portal 2 was their last isolated singleplayer game.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

And I would say he should have used stronger passwords on his e-mail and Steam accounts after the first time. I can't imagine how it would be hacked otherwise.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/5862568/ghost-recon-game-skipping-pc-because-of-you-guessed-it-piracy

I know this is one of those "sky still blue" things but the Ubisoft rep just said that 95% of their consumer base will just pirate the game anyway. So congrats, almost all of us are dirty pirate thieves ruining the gaming industry.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    slotaku strikes again

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

And I would say he should have used stronger passwords on his e-mail and Steam accounts after the first time. I can't imagine how it would be hacked otherwise.

That won't matter. He obviously has a keylogger on his computer.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Opty wrote:

Steam really just bitchslaps every DRM argument there is.

There's some people here who think Steam adds to the DRM problem. They're difficult to reason with, or offer perspective to.

Ubisoft's position on the PC market is just... I mean what the fuck. French people, French thinking. They do have a sense of draconian authority and believing they'll be loved for it.

And Kotaku getting to the story last is great as always.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I guess I need a better site for video game news.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

http://www.gamasutra.com/

I generally get my video game news from this thread, but when I feel like checking the news myself, I go there. Only site I could ever go to.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    ArcSyn wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

Pretty much this. I mean, consider steam offers 2 step verification via your email address on any browser/computer it senses as being 'new'. To get your account stolen multiple times really means user error, to the max.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Derrick wrote:
    ArcSyn wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

Pretty much this. I mean, consider steam offers 2 step verification via your email address on any browser/computer it senses as being 'new'. To get your account stolen multiple times really means user error, to the max.

Yeah I'm genuinely having a hard time seeing it another way as well to be honest. Any account changes to the login / password should be going through his main e-mail address first, and if they have access to THAT then you were already in far bigger trouble to begin with. But this is all moot because if Steamguard is on, all this happens after needing to authorise any new machine that tries to even access the Steam account in the first place. Gabe Newell even gave out his own login / password when they announced the feature so people could try it for themselves.

I can't see what else they could really add for verification other than a WoW style authenticator. Speaking personally it just irritates me that BNet won't save my password login, because I did actually choose a very long and complex password so that it's unfeasible to brute force. Not allowing me to store it isn't security, if they have access to my PC to see where an encrypted password would be stored then, again, having me type it in manually is utterly meaningless because they'd be able to see that too.

All that said, the Steam forums hack should never have happened.

subedii on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I generally get my video game news from this thread, but when I feel like checking the news myself, I go there. Only site I could ever go to.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

Just popping in to say that these (^^^) people are swello.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Antithesis wrote:
    Henroid wrote: »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

Just popping in to say that these (^^^) people are swello.

Especially that @lewiep guy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Athenor wrote:

Yea I had my steam account stolen, and am permanently and un-appealably banned from every valve game forever because he aimbotted in CS (a game I am clearly a big enthusiast for right )

Still really hard to get over that, but hey it just means I boycott valve games. Except portal 2. Shut up.

Edit: looking over those stats I don't even know what the hell hack could've been used, .2 k/d ratio?! It's almost like people just steal steam accounts solely to get the people VAC banned, knowing that there is no appeals process and Valve threatens to delete your account and sue you and rape your dog if you e-mail them on the matter

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.