Options

Video Game Industry Thread: November's done, post in the new thread

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah seriously pressing down on the D-Pad isn't a big thing. You don't need to recenter your controller if you're swordfighting anyway. I'm just used to hitting the Beetle or Slingshot, hitting down on the D-Pad and then everything is fine. If you're really good when you equip the weapon just keep the Wii remote pointing forward and you'll be set.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I always thought that when people have one experience with a game, and other people have an experience counter to the nature of the first, they would all realize that the whole thing is subjective and not a hard-line fact that all most obey.

But instead, "Your experience is the wrong one." Business as usual.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I always thought that when people have one experience with a game, and other people have an experience counter to the nature of the first, they would all realize that the whole thing is subjective and not a hard-line fact that all most obey.

Or they are doing something wrong. You know, it doesn't always have to be 'just different experiences'. Sometimes, surprisingly, people do things wrong, and thus negatively impact their own experience due to a flaw in the way they do something.

If I play a game wherein the scroll wheel zooms for shooting, and my mouse doesn't have one or I'm just too dumb to use it, is it 'just a different experience' when I complain that I cant hit things because the zoom sucks?

Is it 'Just a different experience' when people play kinect games in a damn bath robe and whine it cant follow them right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Or they are doing something wrong. You know, it doesn't always have to be 'just different experiences'. Sometimes, surprisingly, people do things wrong, and thus negatively impact their own experience due to a flaw in the way they do something.

If I play a game wherein the scroll wheel zooms for shooting, and my mouse doesn't have one or I'm just too dumb to use it, is it 'just a different experience' when I complain that I cant hit things because the zoom sucks?

Is it 'Just a different experience' when people play kinect games in a damn bath robe and whine it cant follow them right?

It certainly can be if the game doesn't ever make it obvious you are doing something wrong.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

This isn't really like that. The onus is on the player to keep their controller pointed wherever they want to be centered.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It's just odd in the case of Skyward Sword that some people seem to need to recalibrate/press down all the time and others don't. I don't know if it's the way I hold the Wiimote or what, but I don't need to re-center even when I switch from sitting down to standing up. Once I've calibrated on bootup, I'm good to go for the rest of the play session.

Do you play with a Wii Motion Plus Wiimote or a regular Wiimote with the Wii Motion Plus add-on?

From what a few people have said in the Zelda thread (who have former experience with Wii Motion Plus in its two different forms) it seems like it works ever better when its built right into the controller for some reason. Whether or not that is actually the case I'm not sure, but if it is then it could be a factor. Of course I'm sure that holding the Wiimote in the same place consistency and in a more centered position also helps when swashbuckling for a prolonged period of time.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I've read it both ways.

It's probably...what do you call it, a placebo effect from comparing two mostly identical products? Like people who love HP and hate Dell or vice versa.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You're pressing the A button wrong!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nah the Motion+ addon defiantly has issues. Especially if you have someone around who has a tendency to yank out Wii remote extensions. Sometimes you'll have to do a full recalibration (setting the remote down) if it is really bad.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

So apparently, playing it right is holding my arm up in the air in one direction for the entirety of the session? I thought this was supposed to be fun.

I play Skyward Sword standing up. I have a brand new controller with the Wii MotionPlus built in. This is the first time I've ever played a MotionPlus game and I'm disappointed by the controller. It feels like a step sideways instead of a step forward - yes, it's more accurate with the waving around but with a generic Wii controller, I could just point at the screen and it would always know where I was pointing without me needing to recalibrate it periodically. I thought the whole point of MotionPlus was to fix the failings of the original controller, not add new problems.

Sure, I could recalibrate it to a different direction than facing the screen. I could also hold the controller upside down. Doesn't make it any easier.

And again, this isn't a dealbreaker. It's just a disappointing annoyance. It's like buying a brand new console that's been hyped as the next step up in power...and then discovering that there are 30 second load times every 10 minutes.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    To change the subject, what do you guys think about the (probable) smash bros type game Sony is doing with their mascots that Gaf seems to be talking about?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453368

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    To change the subject, what do you guys think about the (probable) smash bros type game Sony is doing with their mascots that Gaf seems to be talking about?

That would be a weird game. Probably a PSN title, perhaps available for Vita.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Are they going to allow Football Guy and Car to join in on the action?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/ps-vita-memory-cards-and-other-accessories-priced-by-gamestop

4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $29.99
    8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $44.99
    16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
    32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99
    PlayStation Vita AC Adaptor - $19.99
    PS VITA Armor GameCase - $7.99
    PS VITA ArmorShell - $12.99
    PlayStation Vita Car Adaptor - $17.99
    PlayStation Vita Card Case - $9.99
    PlayStation Vita Carrying Case - $19.99
    PlayStation Vita Cradle - $19.99
    PS VITA Crystal Custom Case - $19.99
    PlayStation Vita In-ear Headset - $19.99
    PS VITA Nerf Armor - $17.99
    PlayStation Vita Portable Charge - $49.99
    PlayStation Vita Protective Film (Two Pack) - $14.99
    PS VITA Pull N Go Folio - $29.99
    PlayStation Vita Starter Kit - $29.99
    PS Vita Starter Kit - $24.99
    PS Vita Trigger Grip - $17.99
    PlayStation Vita Travel Pouch - $19.99
    PlayStation Vita USB Cable - $14.99

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Wow, just beat Vanquish, hell of a game. One of the best ten bucks I've ever spent. I'm curious though, how is Platinum Games doing, financially? I know Bayonetta hit big numbers, but I havn't heard much about Anarchy Reigns.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Jesus Christ America, what happened to the dollar? The $280 for a Vita and a 4GB memory card translates to just £180.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Wow, just beat Vanquish, hell of a game. One of the best ten bucks I've ever spent. I'm curious though, how is Platinum Games doing, financially? I know Bayonetta hit big numbers, but I havn't heard much about Anarchy Reigns.

The main guy behind vanquish headed off to make his own studio Tango games and is currently working on an "AAA" title for Bethesda games.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

The main guy behind vanquish headed off to make his own studio Tango games and is currently working on an "AAA" title for Bethesda games.

Huh, for Bethesda? That'll be an interesting site. I seem to remember hearing Bethesda and BioWare working together on something, can't wait to see what it is.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Shen wrote:
    Jesus Christ America, what happened to the dollar? The $280 for a Vita and a 4GB memory card translates to just £180.

You do know the british pound used to be worth 1:2 right? Now its 1:1.5, so really you should be asking what happened to the pound.

Also, decent prices.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

So apparently, playing it right is holding my arm up in the air in one direction for the entirety of the session? I thought this was supposed to be fun.

I play Skyward Sword standing up. I have a brand new controller with the Wii MotionPlus built in. This is the first time I've ever played a MotionPlus game and I'm disappointed by the controller. It feels like a step sideways instead of a step forward - yes, it's more accurate with the waving around but with a generic Wii controller, I could just point at the screen and it would always know where I was pointing without me needing to recalibrate it periodically. I thought the whole point of MotionPlus was to fix the failings of the original controller, not add new problems.

Sure, I could recalibrate it to a different direction than facing the screen. I could also hold the controller upside down. Doesn't make it any easier.

And again, this isn't a dealbreaker. It's just a disappointing annoyance. It's like buying a brand new console that's been hyped as the next step up in power...and then discovering that there are 30 second load times every 10 minutes.

You can face the controller in whatever direction you like. If you use an item it will auto center so that wherever you are holding it at that point becomes the center. This is probably where you're going wrong. Readjusting and pressing down will fix it and so will pointing it at the existing center point before using the item in the first place. This was explained really early on in the game. Did you just skip past the tutorial screens without paying attention?

stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:

You do know the british pound used to be worth 1:2 right? Now its 1:1.5, so really you should be asking what happened to the pound.

Also, decent prices.

The US dollar also fell dramatically. The Australian dollar is equal to the US dollar (after getting as high as 1:1.15 earlier this year) now. 10 years ago it was at .50 and has been around .80 for the past couple.

stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    Shen wrote:

Also, decent prices.

That was like... four years ago (I know because I went to San Fran that year :P), it's been much closer the past couple.

ladi.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Avicus wrote:
    Shen wrote:

Also, decent prices.

The US dollar also fell dramatically. The Australian dollar is equal to the US dollar (after getting as high as 1:1.15 earlier this year) now. 10 years ago it was at .50 and has been around .80 for the past couple.

Actually, to be more precise, the value of the australian currency grew. Due to being a raw export nation, primarily, and selling to one of the few stable economies (china). Not to say the USD hasn't dropped, but in australia's case its their currency moving up, not others falling down to their level.

Also, uh, GBP was 1:2 til 2009, when it slumped to 1.5 and has stayed there pretty much since then with minor variation up and down.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BluefistBluefist Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Avicus wrote:
    Shen wrote:

Also, decent prices.

Yeah it has been pretty awesome for importing stuff to Australia over the last year or so, the US has been good but you still pay relatively high shipping so it is usually better to import from the UK (either free shipping or <2 GBP per game). For example, the last game I imported was MW3 (PS3) for $58 AUD from the UK when it is selling between ~$80-$120 AUD for the base game locally.

It is a bloody shame that I cannot spend much cash right now as I'm am in the process of retraining into a different profession and going through periods of planned unemployment around short contract work. At least I can work on my massive backlog.

Bluefist on
    STEAM & PSN: Bluefist56
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I see that winding up more like the Sega All Stars games where it's a motley assortment of c and d-list characters.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I see that winding up more like the Sega All Stars games where it's a motley assortment of c and d-list characters.

Does Sega have anything else? Hacha.

Still, that racing game was actually pretty fun. It was no Mario Kart but...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, uh, GBP was 1:2 til 2009, when it slumped to 1.5 and has stayed there pretty much since then with minor variation up and down.

It started falling in July '08 (three and a half years ago), I guess the times I looked to import stuff since then were when it was closer to 1.4. 15% variation is hardly "minor".

ladi.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $29.99
    8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $44.99
    16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
    32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99

Go to hell Sony.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Shen wrote:

It started falling in July '08 (three and a half years ago), I guess the times I looked to import stuff since then were when it was closer to 1.4. 15% variation is hardly "minor".

The only time its been remotely near 1.4 was for two spots back right around when it plummeted in early 2009 and once in may. Aside from that, for the last.. year and a half? Its been a 10% variance, if that. Of course it's held a median of 1.57, overall, for more than a year.

So. yeah, you should try to import more often. Instead of once every couple of years, I guess?

As for the memory card prices: Those are freaking fantastic comparable to most 'new' memory standards at launch. It really comes down to write speeds, hardware lifespan and data security though. Still? I mean, couple years back a new SDHC card would run you 100$+ for a 16gb model easily.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    As for the memory card prices: Those are freaking fantastic comparable to most 'new' memory standards at launch. It really comes down to write speeds, hardware lifespan and data security though. Still? I mean, couple years back a new SDHC card would run you 100$+ for a 16gb model easily.

Flash memory was also much more expensive a couple years ago. There is no reason the Vita needs to have anything but SD cards except for Sony's crusade to establish new memory formats.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:

Don't worry we will still be charged £230 and £280 sans memory card!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Shen wrote:

The only time its been remotely near 1.4 was for two spots back right around when it plummeted in early 2009 and once in may. Aside from that, for the last.. year and a half? Its been a 10% variance, if that. Of course it's held a median of 1.57, overall, for more than a year.

So. yeah, you should try to import more often. Instead of once every couple of years, I guess?

Fortunately games generally come out here (eventually) so importing was saved for the odd niche release, typically from Atlus.
    Shen wrote:

Don't worry we will still be charged £230 and £280 sans memory card!

Thank goodness for region freedom! I'm beginning to feel a bit of that Gamestop hate now though - they've got a UK site now so they're no longer shipping abroad. Gotta find a new place to import from.

ladi.png
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote:

Flash memory was also much more expensive a couple years ago. There is no reason the Vita needs to have anything but SD cards except for Sony's crusade to establish new memory formats.

Except data security on modern SD is pretty crap. If they want to make a non-reproduceable memory format (Since, you know, games will probably come on the same kind of memory card.) then you pretty much have to make something proprietary.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

I'm willing to bet it'll do as well as all those Mario Kart rip offs have done which is to say not much.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:

Except data security on modern SD is pretty crap. If they want to make a non-reproduceable memory format (Since, you know, games will probably come on the same kind of memory card.) then you pretty much have to make something proprietary.

Yeah. That's why they chose it. :P

• Options
    edited November 2011

Is their memory stick format not viable for this?

To be honest I have nothing against proprietary formats as long as prices are sane. I can buy 4 gig of almost anything (USB flash, SD, hell a hard drive) for $10 to $20 at most, and it gets cheaper as you go up because the initial cost is mostly for the physical components.

You could probably find a used 3DS for the price of the 32 gig card.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I rhink their reasoning is that you can't just place this memory device in your computer amd make hacks like you can with the duo.

Nitsua on
  • Options

Is their memory stick format not viable for this?

To be honest I have nothing against proprietary formats as long as prices are sane. I can buy 4 gig of almost anything (USB flash, SD, hell a hard drive) for $10 to $20 at most, and it gets cheaper as you go up because the initial cost is mostly for the physical components.

You could probably find a used 3DS for the price of the 32 gig card.

Well, considering their ProDuo cards used magic gate (Which was cracked.) and programs and devices to mass dump them are easily gotten (In multiple forms. Even the PS2 memory cards use MagicGate.)

well, no, they aren't a very viable medium. They'd have to produce a new security chip/new reader chip. Which for them, and most consumers, would do nothing but add cost to unrelated things. Sony has actually more or less abandoned magicgate last I checked.

So, in the end, if they want to try again to make a viable security then yes, making a proprietary memory format that there is no current readers for, with a new security chip in both card/device, that wont cause consumer confusion.. this is more or less the way to go.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, in the end, if they want to try again to make a viable security then yes, making a proprietary memory format that there is no current readers for, with a new security chip in both card/device, that wont cause consumer confusion.. this is more or less the way to go.

Security can be accomplished just fine on the software side of things. 3DS uses SD cards and it hasn't been hacked yet.

I can't support an argument that could also be used to say "well people can burn and pirate Blu-Rays now, we have to introduce another new format."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So then, when the security is eventually cracked open, various adapters are widespread, and their "proprietary format" is no longer different than any other form on the mark, will they drop the price down to the rest of the market?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.