As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Greatest Game that no one ever played

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Does Xenoblade count? http://zcint.co.uk/article/xenoblade-chronicles-review

I know people here like it, but I'm also certain a lot of NA folks will be missing out, or won't make the effort to soft-mod/import their Wii.

And that saddens me greatly, because it really deserves all the exposure it can get.

I never would have imagined a Wii game would provide every single thing I could ever want in a quality RPG.

• Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    BTP wrote:

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Magitsbox.jpg

A buddy of mine had this game. A few of us would go to his house and waste hours on the multiplayer. They had some kind of hacking weapon that allowed you to take over other robots...so much fun.

Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    THREAD POSTER. Y U READ MIND ABOUT GAME I WAS THINKING ABOUT?

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    mr weenis wrote:
    BTP wrote:

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Magitsbox.jpg

A buddy of mine had this game. A few of us would go to his house and waste hours on the multiplayer. They had some kind of hacking weapon that allowed you to take over other robots...so much fun.
    I own this game and this literally all I remember about it, because it is fucking awesome.

I'd also nominate Resonance of Fate (which I still need to finish), which is the best JRPG I've played this gen and was totally ignored because it got dropped in to die right before FFXIII. It also has guns that look like this:

rlfaxw.jpg

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The best games, The Neverhood, Rescue: Embassy and Great Greed (kudos to the dudes who did, you guys have taste) have been mentioned, but what about Clash at Demonhead? People tend to know it now thnaks to Scott Pilgrim, but, man, what a ridiculous NES game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIgKaTvJFTE here is some guy talking about it.

Another good one was magic of scheherazade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-yPTkSA9xk

Oh, and looking over my NES collection, this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QluCp9YzBzo

I'm sure you all know this one, but I rarely see it mentioned
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkAnWnfmQCM

Oh, and this thing. This is Zelda 2 done way more kickass than Zelda 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5BTInohNM

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    oops dp net can be funky

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    This is a great thread.

My answer, despite it getting a really decent fan following when it finally came out among a hardcore set of players, is the fourth game in a despised anime/manga fighting series.

Naruto: GNT 4 is one of the best 3D fighters ever released. Balanced, smooth flowing creamy goodness. I don't like Naruto and I fucking love this game. My friends never even watch anime...and they love this game. It is easily the most played 3D fighter among a group that loves Soul Calibur.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Most people know Rock and Roll racing as the funniest racing game on the SNES. Well, there was one that tied it in my opinon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CCmt8Q_ASI

Awesome music, simple to learn but hard to master (later races kicked my ass when I was young), and fun fun fun!

• Options
    This is a great thread.

My answer, despite it getting a really decent fan following when it finally came out among a hardcore set of players, is the fourth game in a despised anime/manga fighting series.

Naruto: GNT 4 is one of the best 3D fighters ever released. Balanced, smooth flowing creamy goodness. I don't like Naruto and I fucking love this game. My friends never even watch anime...and they love this game. It is easily the most played 3D fighter among a group that loves Soul Calibur.

Did you play Ultimate Ninja Storm 2?

Haven't gotten it myself, but it sure looks like the best possible Naruto game one could make. It even has a story mode that manages to crap all over the original source material.

• Options
    looks like. Plays like shite like all other CC 2 fighting games. Naruto GNT 4 is balanced as hell (ignoring one certain character) and up until a few years ago still had tournament play.

• Options
  • Options
    Nope, it's One Tailed Naruto. CS2 Sasuke was kinda a dick until people figured him out.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh and the best part about Great Greed is the character names

You are out to save Princess Cupcake of the Greene Kingdom from Bio-Hazard Harry

Also, there's a girl named Microwave, and I've jokingly said to people that my first daughter's middle name will be Microwave in tribute, except they don't know that I'm not joking

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    2077rxh.jpg

You play the part of Richard, who has been accidentally sent to hell! Which in this case is an Ultima clone. Your best friend and girlfriend have also been sent to hell, and obviously you need to team up with them and...ESCAPE FROM HELL. But, until you find them, its not a bad idea to team up with some of the locals. Oh, hi Stalin! I see you brought your own nail gun! Want to join me? Ah, John Wilkes Booth, glad to have you on board!

Here is a much better recap!

I don't know anyone else that has played this game, but the casual way in which it presents `evil' historical figures is superb. My Christmas wish this year is for EA to revisit this property and remake it as a Dragon Age type RPG.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Nothing that was even remotely good should be sullied by being remade into a system that closely resembles Dragon Age...

• Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    I always look to Trap Gunner when this topic comes up. It wasn't just an underrated game, but a woefully underappreciated game type. It had a roster of characters to pick from with strengths and weaknesses similar to a fighting game, but the gameplay was basically Deception, versus mode. You plant traps, search for your enemy's traps, and try to run their life bar down by either distracting them or assaulting them head on. It was a constant power struggle because there was the option to disarm an enemy's traps, but it left you vulnerable to them using their ranged weapon on you, which would cause an automatic trap trigger. It tended to make an already tense situation even more stressful, but in a good way.

I don't know how popular Dungeon Keeper was back in the day, and it might have gotten some more popularity since then thanks to Dungeons and places like GOG. In my mind, though, there's never been a true successor to the game, and it was a mistake even trying to bring it into 3d. The sprites and great sound effects of the first game gave it a singular charm and helped make it one of the funniest things I've ever played.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Not the "Greatest" game, but I had a lot of fun with this forgetten PS2 gem:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORhF9ADS0tY
    (Go to 3:13 or so to skip menus.)

It was a game about hats before TF2!

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So much love for Road Rash- the N64 version, since I'm a heathen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvD8NydSA4I&feature=related

What's not to love about mounted motorcycle combat?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Basil wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvD8NydSA4I&feature=related

This 100 times. I have yet to play a more fun racing game than this. I still have my n64 in a box along with road rash 64.

God i wish they would make a new road rash game. With physics and modern graphics... 8->

If anyone watches acouple seconds of the above video watch 3:10.

Sonork on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Haven_Call_of_the_King.jpg

Picked up Haven on a whim one day, looked kinda neat.

Was a pretty awesome mix of traditional third person action adventure with driving/shooty bits and platforming, but no one I've ever asked about it has heard of it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I feel like half my favourite games on the original xbox fit into this category.

Deathrow, the futuristic bloodsport game that was equal parts beat em up and sports game. It had a taunt button! That was almost exclusively horrible swearing!

Otogi 1 and 2 were my favourite action games on that system. More than Ninja Gaiden. Amazing style to those games.

Phantom Crash. The best mech game you never played with the best soundtrack you've never heard.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Deathrow is no joke the preferred multiplayer game at my house. We seriously still bust that out on weekends. I have no idea why.

Convicts 4 lyfe!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Phantom Dust for the original Xbox. Hands down the most under appreciated game I have ever played. Originally developed by Majesco till they went under then picked up by Microsoft and released at the bargain price of 30 or 40 dollars. People looked at it and assumed cheap price meant shitty game but holy hell were they wrong. I own 3 copies of the game because it sold so poorly that new copies were only 5 dollars and I wanted to make sure I always had a copy to play. I will also say that S.L.A.I which is the sequel to Phantom Crash is truly amazing and if you ever get the chance to play it you should.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Advent Rising
    J5siE.jpg

Third Person Shooter for the OXBox. Guns, Melee, and magic.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Sonork wrote:
    Basil wrote:

This 100 times. I have yet to play a more fun racing game than this. I still have my n64 in a box along with road rash 64.

God i wish they would make a new road rash game. With physics and modern graphics... 8->

I'm just going to point out one thing about the road rash series thats about to blow your fucking mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VL5LV9PVZ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r4QLEwOeMo

That was Sugar Ray
    Yes
    That Sugar Ray
    Mind
    Blown

Speed Home California is off of the album "Lemonade and Brownies" and Mean Machine is off of the "Floored" album.

iRevert on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Mark of Kri

A game that, for reasons beyond me, got totally passed over despite having a very strong art and presentation style, a solid story and very fun gameplay. Kind of a stealth/action hybrid with disney-esque graphics and some of the most brutal stealth take downs and combo kills in a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjEXX9xQP74

I remember hearing about this game and just not quite wanting to buy/play it. Think their marketing just did not catch my interest, though it looks like it would have been fun. Also looks like Sony more or less reskinned the game to create God of War 1.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Has to be

920789_62624_front.jpg

for me. With the original bongos. Not the Wiimote crap.

Have you tried it with the Wii Remote? It's actually pretty good that way as well.

As for me, I'm going to say Maximo: Army of Zin.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    There's no clapping in the Wii version. :(

I remember my hands got so sore from getting the highest banana multipliers that I had to take breaks. Shit was hardcore.

Also, WarioWare: Do It Yourself. If Japan only, Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi, before Fire Emblem became all the rage.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    iRevert wrote:
    Sonork wrote:
    Basil wrote:

I'm just going to point out one thing about the road rash series thats about to blow your fucking mind.

*double snip*

That was Sugar Ray
    Yes
    That Sugar Ray
    Mind
    Blown

Speed Home California is off of the album "Lemonade and Brownies" and Mean Machine is off of the "Floored" album.

Yeah that was back when Sugar Ray was cool. Mark McGrath sold out and turned into a frostilocks for the fat top-40s-pop-music cash.

also, this whole post is gold-plated lime:
    -SPI- wrote:
    I feel like half my favourite games on the original xbox fit into this category.

Deathrow, the futuristic bloodsport game that was equal parts beat em up and sports game. It had a taunt button! That was almost exclusively horrible swearing!

Otogi 1 and 2 were my favourite action games on that system. More than Ninja Gaiden. Amazing style to those games.

Phantom Crash. The best mech game you never played with the best soundtrack you've never heard.

We actually had to retire deathrow from the lan parties because of how brutally competitive we'd get over it. We'd beat the fuck out of each other in game and be damn near ready to do the same in real life, then we'd throw in halo and let the rage flow through us.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    WHY DIDNT YOU SELL BETTER!>??!?!? WHYYY I WANTED A NEXT GEN VERSION OF YOU GODDAMNIT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oa_2lqKLto

Demons V robots V convicts in deathsport games you could win by beating the other team do death.

Also there was a dedicated swear button

• Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    Don't know how popular this was but everybody I've ever asked didn't know what it was.

Body_Harvest.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Harvest

The controls were fairly clunky but the atmosphere in this game was so damn good, the music was especially good at being unnerving.

camo_sig.png

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    This is a great thread.

Best thing is playing Hinata in a 4 player free for all. Everybody ignores you because they think the character is awful and then you just pick people off while they're busy fighting each other. :)

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Moist wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_4DhXWdwo

I lost many hours of my life to this game

I remember renting this game for Genesis when I was still rather young. I had no fucking clue what was going on.

The three lives/three brothers mechanic was nifty though. I always ended getting a game over really quick in this game. I recall actually taking it back to the video store and trading it for a different rental. It was too unforgiving for my brazen playstyle at the time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Mark of Kri is a sick game

great thread.

has anyone mentioned PN03 for gamecube? I remember when it came out a lot of people on here were excited about it but that was many years ago. Fun shooter, pretty unique as far as I know

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PerfectLizardPerfectLizard Edmonton, Alberta, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Betrayal at Krondor. The game was based in a fantasy world in a series of books by Raymond E. Feist. This was probably my favorite PC RPG back when I was in junior high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GAxW8RjPIs&feature=channel_video_title

PerfectLizard on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Body Harvest was both amazing and terrible at the same time. Amazing game, disgraceful graphics, shoddy controls, very glitchy. Also really hard, though in part due to the controls.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Betrayal at Krondor. The game was based in a fantasy world in a series of books by Raymond E. Feist. This was probably my favorite PC RPG back when I was in junior high.

Still one of the best written games of all time too.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Gosprey wrote:
    2077rxh.jpg

You play the part of Richard, who has been accidentally sent to hell! Which in this case is an Ultima clone. Your best friend and girlfriend have also been sent to hell, and obviously you need to team up with them and...ESCAPE FROM HELL. But, until you find them, its not a bad idea to team up with some of the locals. Oh, hi Stalin! I see you brought your own nail gun! Want to join me? Ah, John Wilkes Booth, glad to have you on board!

Here is a much better recap!

I don't know anyone else that has played this game, but the casual way in which it presents `evil' historical figures is superb. My Christmas wish this year is for EA to revisit this property and remake it as a Dragon Age type RPG.

So many hours of my childhood. SO MANY. Also, in the same vein and similar time period:

SentWorlds_lowresboxart.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Worlds_I:_Future_Magic

I can't begin to explain how much I loved this stupid game.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    System Shock 2. Rare because no one bought it when it first came out.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote:
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    I'm not going to claim this is 'the greatest game', but it's a game from my childhood that I absolutely adored. I've yet to find anyone else who knows about the game, so I imagine it counts.

Robotrekboxart.jpg

Classic jRPG for the SNES that I clearly played at the right age, as the story isn't much more hard-hitting than an average pokemon game (unless I'm not remembering correctly), but it was really fun and inventive (ha!) because you were playing as a budding inventor who could build robots to do your battles for you. It's kind of like pokemon before pokemon in that you did absolutely none of the battling and instead threw your robot (who pops out of a capsule, somehow) onto the field to hack or shoot (depending on what you've equipped on it) whatever stood in your way to death. You had up to three robots and if one broke down, the next in your queue popped out unless there were no more, in which case your game was over.

Through the game, you end up having to put your inventing skills to the test by finding recipes for key items (as well as non-key items; scattered through the game were books that you could use to learn how to make new equips for your bots) that you'd end up having to use at least once for one puzzle or the like which was and still is pretty damn cool.

It was just a really fun, neat little RPG that I always think of when I think of SNES-era RPGs or just SNES games in general (basically I always think of Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past and this), which is why it bugs me that nobody else seems to have played it.

I never played it but I read about it in Nintendo Power and wanted to play it so fucking badly. However, for the longest time I was only allowed to buy one or two games a year and the few places that sold video games around here didn't always have a large selection so if I had ever seen it (which I don't think I ever had) I would have probably passed it up in favor of some other big name game like Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana or Super Metroid or whatever.

I played the crap out of this one. Used to keep a piece of paper folded up with the game (tucked into the plastic dust cover) so I could keep track of what programs did what on the robots. It was a lot of fun at the time.

Another game that never seems to get the love it deserved: Tiny Tank: Up Your Arsenal. (Later renamed to just Tiny Tank)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2GNY4GHDE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPSLkK2_8oA&feature=related