Options

How does one form a game design team without being raged at?

124»

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Why not try using something like RPG Maker instead of trying to create everything from scratch? It may help you focus on things - like story, art and design - while leaving you free from also having to learn how to build an engine.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    galdongaldon Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Brian, It'd be easier to deal with errors on compiling if my only recourse wasn't to post asking about the bug on a forum, then 2 weeks later, have the only reply being "You should buy X book, its only 40 dollars and it'll tell you everything you need to know" That happens basically every time, and I've done it 6 times, trying at least 3 different forums that declared themselves to be specifically forums ABOUT coding with flash. Admittedly I haven't tried asking on this forum before since I'm new to this forum so maybe it'll be better, I can try anyway.

galdon on
    Go in, get the girl, kill the dragon. What's so hard about that? ... Oh, so THAT'S what a dragon looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChq0-eLNiMaJlIjqerf0v2A? <-- Game related youtube stuff
    http://galdon.newgrounds.com/games/ <-- games I've made. (spoiler warning: They might suck!)
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    galdon wrote:
    I'm just saying it's not something that can have an exact skill level determined off of from two colored sketches.

Actually, in general, it can. I mean, an art director would prefer 5-15 pieces about to determine between professionals, but a professional you are not and those pieces of yours speak volumes about where you are with your art.

Also, two months? Yeah, no. Art takes years and years of practice. And at least most artists will never really be truly satisfied with their own work.

Get yourself some humility. Get yourself to the artist corner (and don't be surprised when you hear the same thing). Or, fine, don't listen to me. I'm only an artist working in the field you want get into.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    galdon wrote:
    Brian, It'd be easier to deal with errors on compiling if my only recourse wasn't to post asking about the bug on a forum, then 2 weeks later, have the only reply being "You should buy X book, its only 40 dollars and it'll tell you everything you need to know" That happens basically every time, and I've done it 6 times, trying at least 3 different forums that declared themselves to be specifically forums ABOUT coding with flash. Admittedly I haven't tried asking on this forum before since I'm new to this forum so maybe it'll be better, I can try anyway.

I know dick about programming, art, etc., but when that many people from that many sources are telling you the exact same thing, you should probably listen.

• Options
    galdongaldon Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    galdon wrote:
    I'm just saying it's not something that can have an exact skill level determined off of from two colored sketches.

Actually, in general, it can. I mean, an art director would prefer 5-15 pieces about to determine between professionals, but a professional you are not and those pieces of yours speak volumes about where you are with your art.

Also, two months? Yeah, no. Art takes years and years of practice. And at least most artists will never really be truly satisfied with their own work.

Get yourself some humility. Get yourself to the artist corner (and don't be surprised when you hear the same thing). Or, fine, don't listen to me. I'm only an artist working in the field you want get into.

The disconnect here I think is that I have not said at any point that my art is 'as good as *insert artists name*' or even said my art is 'great' 'good' or bragged about my skill level. I just said it was decent and that I expect to improve enough that I will be able to take the responsibility of making the game visuals as my contribution to the game design efforts. Maybe 2 months is a short projection on how long it will take me to get from where I am to acceptable game art, but its likely to be more like half a year or so now. I do still feelt hat it is unfair to judge a couple sketches that have been noted as the first concept art as though they are the highlights of my artistic progress.

AOI: the reason I haven't bought the book is I have no money. I work at the sewer plant, I eat ramen frequently and count down the dollars to each payday. If I had such funds to spend on a book, i would have.

Be back in a bit though, Sleepymaid's started her live drawing stream and it's helpful to watch a good artist work.

galdon on
    Go in, get the girl, kill the dragon. What's so hard about that? ... Oh, so THAT'S what a dragon looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChq0-eLNiMaJlIjqerf0v2A? <-- Game related youtube stuff
    http://galdon.newgrounds.com/games/ <-- games I've made. (spoiler warning: They might suck!)
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2011
    How dare people suggest you invest money in resources that will teach you relevant and valuable skills! You keep asserting that you're not making excuses, while piling on excuses. Forums can give you tips and help you with specific problems, or point you in the direction of resources that will help you if you don't know what the fuck you're doing. They're not your personal, free trainers that are obligated to teach you everything you need to know.

And again, your art isn't even decent. It's cookie cutter anime influenced unskilled art that can be found plastered all over deviantart by teens that don't know how to draw yet. Again, nothing wrong with being unskilled at something when you're starting out. But you should be honest about how bad you still are and how much you need to work on your art. You really should go post in the artist corner, but do so with some humility. They get people in there all the time that have an over-inflated perception of their ability and then get bent out of shape when the skilled artists there (and there are some really good artists on this forum) tell them the real deal.

edit: Thanks for that link Esh! I love roguelikes and I hadn't heard of JADE.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    galdon wrote:
    galdon wrote:

The disconnect here I think is that I have not said at any point that my art is 'as good as *insert artists name*' or even said my art is 'great' 'good' or bragged about my skill level. I just said it was decent and that I expect to improve enough that I will be able to take the responsibility of making the game visuals as my contribution to the game design efforts. Maybe 2 months is a short projection on how long it will take me to get from where I am to acceptable game art, but its likely to be more like half a year or so now. I do still feelt hat it is unfair to judge a couple sketches that have been noted as the first concept art as though they are the highlights of my artistic progress.

AOI: the reason I haven't bought the book is I have no money. I work at the sewer plant, I eat ramen frequently and count down the dollars to each payday. If I had such funds to spend on a book, i would have.

Be back in a bit though, Sleepymaid's started her live drawing stream and it's helpful to watch a good artist work.

In 6 months you're not going to be a good enough artist to contribute the game's visuals. Probably not even in a year or more. Maybe you should start with something a little less visually intensive? Look at the raging success of games like ADOM, Dwarf Fortress, or Minecraft. I'd get back to learning code if I were you and start churning out little projects. You might follow Thomas Biskup (creator of ADOM) and his work on JADE right now, which is shaping up to be one of the most stunning roguelikes ever.

EDIT: http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/ Go there. Read his blog. Check out both of this games. Particularly look at his ideas about the Orc King's story arc. Simply incredible ideas.

Esh on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    Stop talking about your art, go out there and make something, anything that resembles a game. Stop posting here and just go grab Inform or RPGmaker or Adventure game studio and use pre-made assets and just MAKE SOMETHING! Post back here when you're done.

Seriously, stop talking about your art. It isn't the topic here. You can make awesome games all day long with art people are already sharing for free. Don't reply to me telling me why you were talking about your art before, because if you're doing that you're not making a game. Go make a game! GO

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Stop being infuriating and go actually draw something.

If you want to come back at some point in the distant future you should first learn the difference between constructive and non-constructive criticism, how to listen to the advice you've asked for whether you know it or not, and check your pride and defensiveness at the door.

In the mean time you might want to check out the AC, but oh yeah, they're even less tolerant of this sort of thing than we are, and you better be prepared to have your stuff ripped apart.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.