As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] Lair Assault: Forge of the Dawn Titan (OOC & Observation)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the catch.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Also 5 fire damage for Koh-nunDah for ending your turn next to the anvil. Though nice hit nonetheless.

Characters
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    3! I do have 2 resist!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    A few things:

* The Fire-Spitting Statue is in the forge room, as noted by its location. It's not the one in the hallway.
    * Please include what type of damage you're doing in your damage rolls. Illusory Ambush, for instance, is psychic damage to which stone statue traps are immune to (in the event it was tried against an actual trap).

Also, pre-empting this reminder as it will almost be guaranteed to come up: the anvil is blocking terrain and therefore you cannot move diagonally past it.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I realized my mistake just after I made my post. Apologies. I would have taken it back but I felt it went against the spirit of the game. Plus it seemed good roleplay to have th einexperienced gnome attacking the wrong statue.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You unfortunately can't charge him from your current square as you would be required to move from K12 to L13 (all movement must bring you closer to your target and going K12 to L12 violates this as L13 is closer), which is impossible with the anvil present.

You do have a move action available though so I suppose I'll assume you move past the anvil first then charge in a straight line?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis,

I did a run as a move action turn as well (+2 squares) and then as a standard I moved my speed and threw in a running jump over the lava that also included a turn around a corner. Is that kosher? I can edit if its not.

And for the rest of you, I think we need some coordination here.....where do you want the dwarf and who's getting the healing word on my next turn?

• Options
    Yea, you run out of movement right over the G15 lava square. You'd need to have your running jump also be a Run action to clear it, which isn't that big of a deal since you've already run once this turn, meaning you already have the -5 attacks & grant CA until the start of your next turn regardless.

Characters
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Could you Healing Word now since it's a minor action? If so, I think you need the hit points to keep you up. Just in case you get hit by the Fire Statue.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    He didn't attack you. Teleporting in the dungeon causes 10 fire damage to everything in a close burst 3 from the teleporting creature.

Same mechanic from all that damage by the warlocks in the swinging platform room.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Oh, sorry. I read the blurb as him chucking a fireball at us.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea that's just fluff for everything suddenly being on fire.

Characters
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    You unfortunately can't charge him from your current square as you would be required to move from K12 to L13 (all movement must bring you closer to your target and going K12 to L12 violates this as L13 is closer), which is impossible with the anvil present.

You do have a move action available though so I suppose I'll assume you move past the anvil first then charge in a straight line?

That works! I can't find the must move closer part in the compendium, but that's why I left his move available. Gonna be interesting getting to him next turn. What exactly does the lava do?

• Options
    20 fire damage for each square entered and then again at the end of a person's turn if they're still in it.

It's like what Laggard experienced in the boiling mud, but worse.

Characters
  • Options
    Alright, since I can't make the jump anyway, I'll nix the run action and just double move into the room. Can I save that Athletics roll for next turn? Athletics = 24?

As for the healing word, I was hoping to have us all bunched up a little more to share some temp HP and I'd use it on a more burly front line fighter type. But we're running out of time. I guess I'll use it now.

• Options
    But you can make the jump with a double-run?

(Unless this is what you did in your post and I interpreted your second part as being a normal running jump move action and then confused everyone)

Characters
  • Options
    It was a run, then a normal running jump move.

Now I've retconned it into a double move, then a healing surge. And in between work it took me 45min to edit that post. We'll call it day. :)

• Options
    Hey fellow players, the last few stat blocks that have been copied and posted do not include the changes that I edited in after I retconned the healing surge into my turn. Not big deal, but I just wanted to warn people before small errors become compounded.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I have a master file and always update things on my own, going through players' actions, so it's fine.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    I can take probably 2 more hits from this guy before I bite it, given we only have ~5 turns left that might be enough. Hopefully we can get some fire power on this dude and finish him off.

• Options
    Melgar couldn't make it to F17 because of the corner on the wall so I put him in E17, which works out great since Jessup also wanted to go into F17.

Also I missed Melgar by 1 :(

Characters
  • Options
    Whether we survive this or not, I will definitely be using Bjorn's build again. He's out of self healing, but considering he's healed himself for 65 hit points I think it's worked pretty well.

• Options
    Dammit...I just noticed that I didn't explicitly note the Servant should remain marked in the attack line.

• Options
    Would it be better to finish off that servant or drop the big boss down a peg? Open to your thoughts.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Sceolan I don't believe you have line of sight on Mordai from where you are on account of the idol being in the way.

You'd have to move out from those bars.

Characters
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    Ah ok, my bad. I figured since the anvil was specifically spelled out as blocking LOS that the idol just counted as cover. In that case I will move to E15 before attacking and I will update my turn to reflect that

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    Personally, I'd rather you took out the servant so I can move out and get in position to help with Le Grande Nasty, but at this point I think either would be great.

• Options
    Alright, well since Jonh Carter came out last night I've been stuck at work for a long period of time. I'll make a post for Jessup tonight because I'm not really supposed to be using my phone at work.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Didn't realize you were still waiting on me to finish your turn, whoops.

That fire resistance just saved that Servant's life.

Characters
  • Options
    Of course I roll the 20 on the save and not the attack. Oh well, at least I knocked someone into the lava. Goal achieved.

• Options
    Huh, funny story: lava is not considered difficult terrain.

Characters
  • Options
    Damn....how are we going to get Jessup out of this one? If he wasn't bathing in the lava, it'd be a different story....

• Options
    Is there anything I can do since I'm right next to him? Can I drag him out? Forcefeed him my healing potion? Or is it better to try and kill the bad guys and save him next turn? Mordai is super close to us too

• Options
    Should be able to drag him out, although killing the bad guys needs to happen soon.

• Options
    If Jessup (or anyone, really) fails a death save, then Laggard has a daily imm. interrupt that will allow you to turn it into a 20+ and spend a surge.

But that doesn't help if the lava melts him first.

• Options
    Won't he die if he's still in the lava at the end of his turn since he'll go down to -34? I say pull him outta da fire!

• Options
    This is what I'm saying!

And it'd be even worse for him if he takes the burning damage at the start of his turn, before any healing can be applied, rather than the end.

• Options
    Lava damage takes effect on moving into a square and ending your turn in it. There's no damage at the start of a turn.

Characters
  • Options
    So as far as I can tell I want to pull, and pulling is a movement action that requires no rolling of any sort, is that correct? I can drag him to any square within my movement range and then still do a standard and minor?

• Options
    There...aren't really rules for moving downed characters. Closest is the rules on dragging things, but that just notes Strength scores and amount you can carry, lift, drag which you easily pass. We can just say it takes a move action to drag it.

Characters