As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek is Our Business

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    My theory is some things from TOS are silly and should be ignored in the NEW REALITY.

The reboot? They will be. We've already had major alterations to the mythos.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's always been obvious the Federation just doesn't make Cloaking Devices because they don't want to.

The same way a ton of countries today don't have nukes, not because they couldn't build them, but because they have no interest in doing so.

Once the Dominion War hit, necessity kinda took over a bit.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Actually some within Federation had a secret project not to just make a cloaking device but a phase-shifting cloaking device that would allow them to travel through solid matter. This was revealed during the TNG episode called The Pegasus, a ship which Riker was once part of.

They also mention in the same episode that the Feds don't do cloaking due to the Treaty of Algeron.

Cade on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Phasing...oh dear god don't open THAT can of worms up.

That goddamn Ro/Geordi episode.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    They never really define what exactly a cloaking device is. Is it something that makes ships invisible to sensors? It can't be that since the Federation has a bunch of different ways to mask their warp signature and hide their ships from sensors. Is it just something that makes ships invisible to the naked eye? That's not very useful since ships rarely get within visual range of each other.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    (Unification 1&2) A nice two-parter. Good to see Spock made a cameo appearance.

(A Matter of Time) The argument Picard has over changing the past/future would have been stronger had the episode not ended with the revelation about the guy running a con. As it was, a good episode mired by a slightly too clever ending.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The issue I have with A Matter of Time is that he claims he can't give Picard the info because he'd be changing the timeline, and that would alter his time. But he's altering the timeline by just being there. It's the butterfly effect, where small changes can grow and lead to drastically different results. It's splendidly illustrated in Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder."

It's moot because he's from the past and didn't give a rat's ass about preserving the timeline, but eh... always bugs me.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    He could always have said that history shows he made his visit, but didn't tell anyone anything of value. Or that the timeline is resistant to change if you don't muck about too much.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I assumed that he just didn't know what would happen(since he's from the past) and was using the can't change time line argument to maintain his ruse.

Lucid on
  • Options
    That's exactly what he was doing. Delta Assault was pointing out that Picard should have seen through the ruse, since even his visit was already tampering with the timeline.

Anyway, (New Ground) Hey, Worf doesn't screw around. Kid says he's scared, he's gonna lift that wreckage off of him.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Yeah, but then he could have just hand waved it away with some 'I don't want to debate the physics of time travel with you picard'. I think he was on to him almost the entire time really. The argument he was presenting to prevent the disaster came off as a little manipulative, in that he's a superb and able negotiator who should easily see through a con like this.

I think the actual issue with that episode is the old hat time travel. Star Trek almost always deals with tensed time, not enough tenseless. I think 'All good things...' is one of the few episodes to delve into the latter.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They never really define what exactly a cloaking device is. Is it something that makes ships invisible to sensors? It can't be that since the Federation has a bunch of different ways to mask their warp signature and hide their ships from sensors. Is it just something that makes ships invisible to the naked eye? That's not very useful since ships rarely get within visual range of each other.
    It's a manipulation of the standard shields to bend any/all radiation around the ship instead of absorbing impacts etc., combined with a sort of 'silent running' mode and massive waste heat dumps to prevent the ship itself emitting anything.
    Or at least anything that doesn't look like the CMB.

It really shouldn't work at warp, of course.

The Phased Cloak seems to be vastly more efficient though, since you can apparently run at full power with it in operation; no wonder the Romulans wanted one of their own…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Best part about A Matter of Time? Crazy con man was originally going to be Robin Williams!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm glad they decided to go with Maximum Overdrive man.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    You mean Max Headroom?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    You mean Trashcan Man.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Nocren wrote:
    You mean Max Headroom?

Oh... yeah.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    (Hero Worship) Data sucks at this.

EDIT: Though, on second thought, the Terminator Parent argument holds even more water with Data. A kid could do worse.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    But the Terminator was able to learn more about humans in a week than Data did in 20 years.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    But the Terminator was able to learn more about humans in a week than Data did in 20 years.

That Terminator was an anomaly. Cameron didn't learn half that much and she had a much longer life.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    My theory is some things from TOS are silly and should be ignored in the NEW REALITY.

I always like to imagine that The Original Series is just how the film era crew remembered those days, whereas the films are a more literal representation of the look, feel and rules of that universe. Memory can be simplistic, inconsistent, bigger than life, and romantic.

Kinda doesn't work when they keep going back to the TOS era sets in later series though.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Edd wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

I always like to imagine that The Original Series is just how the film era crew remembered those days, whereas the films are a more literal representation of the look, feel and rules of that universe. Memory can be simplistic, inconsistent, bigger than life, and romantic.

Kinda doesn't work when they keep going back to the TOS era sets in later series though.

That was one of the cool/meta things about Babylon 5. The series and movies turn out to be in-universe historical re-enactments for in-universe TV audiences.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote:
    Edd wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

That was one of the cool/meta things about Babylon 5. The series and movies turn out to be in-universe historical re-enactments for in-universe TV audiences.

I've heard this before, but never seen the episode/movie that shows this. Could you point me in the right direction?

• Options

I was referring to Sarah Connor's little spiel about how the Terminator would never abandon him, never hit him, etc. Data wouldn't be able to provide the emotional context and support a child would need, but I'd trust him with parenting before I'd trust a whole heck of a lot of people.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Edd wrote:

"Kahn? Ah yes I remember when I found him on the Botany Bay. I was a lot thinner and I had more hair back then, and I didn't need those glasses." :lol:

sig.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    gjaustin wrote:
    Caedwyr wrote:
    Edd wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

I've heard this before, but never seen the episode/movie that shows this. Could you point me in the right direction?

that was just the last episode. A group from Earth was altering historical records for a propaganda film using holograms, for some reason they felt the characters should be completely authentic in their performance and as all holodeck programs do they went rogue and transmitted the Humans' evil plan to the rest of the galaxy who then bombed earth back to the dark ages. Literally.

The lesson being: Don't fuck with Garabaldi, alive or dead, he'll still kick your ass.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:
    gjaustin wrote:
    Caedwyr wrote:
    Edd wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

that was just one of the later episodes. A group from Earth was altering historical records for a propaganda film using holograms, for some reason they felt the characters should be completely authentic in their performance and as all holodeck programs do they went rogue and transmitted the Humans' evil plan to the rest of the galaxy who then bombed earth back to the dark ages. Literally.

The Deconstruction of Falling Stars. And there's no reason to think that framing device applies beyond the confines of that episode.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Yeah, the "fake" series finale. I saw that episode and agree that the framing device was only for it.

I wanted to make sure there wasn't another episode I missed.

• Options
    Nope. The only series that was entirely and completely an in-universe reenactment for in-universe characters was Enterprise.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Phasing...oh dear god don't open THAT can of worms up.

That goddamn Ro/Geordi episode.

What, don't you want to talk about that poor Romulan that got knocked out of the Enterprise and is floating somewhere endlessly through space passing through planets, suns, what have you.

I mean is that guy ever even going to die? Is he forever stuck hurling through space going past madness at his situation. If he can die does his body rot? Can he rot?

Does he need to use the bathroom?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Regarding B5, you'll note that all naration is in past-tense. During Deconstruction of Falling Stars, at +1,000,000 years you find out that the evolved human/minbarii guy has been viewing historical records up to that point. The In-universe re-enactment also shows up in the final episode "Sleeping in the Light", where during the closing credits it pretty plainly states that the entire thing was done in-universe.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    Nope. The only series that was entirely and completely an in-universe reenactment for in-universe characters was Enterprise.
    Well, there was also St. Elsewhere, where the most common interpretation of the final episode was that the entire series existed as stories in the head of an autistic child.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    That one strip also showed that Garfield is really sitting alone in an abandoned house. The whole comic is his crazy delusions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also the events in Total Recall were all what Arnold's character was saying he wanted to buy at the beginning when he sat in the memory-altering chair.

And the "happy ending" of Minority Report after Tom Cruise is put into cryogenic prison was a dream he had; they set it up in the movie when they said that people in cryogenic suspension can dream, and everything after he gets frozen works out perfectly for him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote:
    Also the events in Total Recall were all what Arnold's character was saying he wanted to buy at the beginning when he sat in the memory-altering chair.

And the "happy ending" of Minority Report after Tom Cruise is put into cryogenic prison was a dream he had; they set it up in the movie when they said that people in cryogenic suspension can dream, and everything after he gets frozen works out perfectly for him.
    Well, you could have mentioned Brazil, where your Minority Report interpretation is LITERALLY what happens at the end of the movie.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Well, you could have mentioned Brazil, where your Minority Report interpretation is LITERALLY what happens at the end of the movie.

I've never seen (or even heard of) Brazil. So no, I couldn't have mentioned it :P

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote:
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Richy wrote:

I've never seen (or even heard of) Brazil. So no, I couldn't have mentioned it :P
    Pff. That's what the internet is for. Your Google-fu is terrible.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Comic publisher IDW have officially announced the first ever official Doctor Who and Star Trek cross-over in the new 8 issue series "Doctor Who/Star Trek: The Next Generation - Assimilation2" beginning May. We'll see the Eleventh Doctor and Captain Jean-Luc Picard help together to fight the dreaded Borg and the Cybermen.
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2224/
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/02/doctor-who-star-trek-comics/

Victory63 on
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    EXTERMINATE!
    ASSIMILATE!
    COLLABORATE!

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    Richy wrote:
    Edd wrote:

"Kahn? Ah yes I remember when I found him on the Botany Bay. I was a lot thinner and I had more hair back then, and I didn't need those glasses." :lol:

"Wait...was Chekov there? I don't remember that..."

This discussion has been closed.