As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't actually build or mine anymore, we just play with cats all day. Minecraft!

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
bMVpN.png?1

Is Minecraft.net Down?

I JOINED YOUR SERVER BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Oh I guess you should read the wikia we set up for you then.

New Map Render!
http://208.122.57.200:25567/
Day
Night

If you want a custom skin made, contact apricotmuffins, VALVEjunkie, or Tankhammer, they'll give you a skin for a donation to the server.

Twixxo now sells T-shirts!
Twixxo wrote: »
The first of hopefully multiple designs I've created for server shirts is done! They go for $20 + shipping, and $4.60 of profits of each shirt will be donated to the server! Colors offered are white, grey, light blue, navy blue and royal blue. More designs to come soon/eventually!
legionshirts.jpg

Buy them here! http://twixxo.spreadshirt.com/

Server IP

Or.

pennycraft.dyndns.org

Server Rules!
  • Don't be a jerk! That means no stealing! No duping items! No griefing! No cheating of any kind! If what you want to do will piss someone off, then don't do it! If you're not sure ASK! If you want to pull a prank on someone speak to the admins cause we're nice people with a horrible sense of humor!
  • We'll invite your friends but if your friend is a jerk you are banned too!
  • We play on hardmode! No more kits or handouts! No free teleports to your buddies!
  • No more automatic spawners! (That is spawners that rely on MCM to drop and collect items for you. You must be actually present and collecting items yourself.)
  • Read the other god damn posts! We're currently overhauling how we get our messages across to you. From now on, if you have an important post to make
  • LEAVE THE STRONGHOLDS AND NPC VILLAGES ALONE! Explore them and put up torches if you would like to, but leave everything else in place!

Q: This is an awesome server, can I donate?

A: Yes! Please, contact Ultimak about doing so. He has a link in his sig for just such a thing.

Do you want to join us? Read the rules and pop us a PM! Please tell us your minecraft username or we can't add you to the whitelist!

Vent Info!

postingbros.ownzyou.info
port:3968
password: karenxzizek

Do you want a color name?
yDDdf.png

Black is off limits because it's too hard to see. The gold is more like orange.
#0 - Don't Have
#1 - darkblue (really dark, if that is an issue)
#2 - darkgreen
#3 - teal
#4 - darkred
#5 - purple
#6 - orange
#7 - grey (default color)
#8 - Don't Have
#9 - blue
#a - lightgreen
#b - lightblue
#c - red
#d - pink
#e - yellow
#f - Don't Have

Did you know that there is a large modding community for Minecraft? It's true!

I will not bother to list like a top 10, because there are just so many that I wouldn't have time to do so. The Minecraft Official Forums are exactly what you would expect from any official forum, full of people who care way too much about Minecraft to actually fill in their brain with knowledge or tact. This is where the modding community is though!

As far as keeping things organized, the mods there seem to run a tight ship. I will make things easy for you though and link you to the forums and stickies you should frequent.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rail System 101
    It's all been moved to a tutorial on the SE++ minecraft wiki.

Note: the high-speed launch from Ispawnbul is disabled until we can resolve the derailing-when-climbing-hills problem.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SUPER DUPER PSA POST

13/03/02
    PLEASE DO NOT EXPLORE THE MAP. We are waiting for 1.2 and jungles and kitties and fun and joy and laughter! We will be having an expedition to do special exploration once we have updated the server, which will be ASAP.

ALSO important: Nether portals are acting strange. Sometimes they rebound you and might kill you because of it. We are working on a solution. In the meantime the ship from woolhalla is a teleport not a portal, and it comes out near ish spawn. if you get stuck you can head to there.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    My Ne CRAFT!

Am I doing it right?

EDIT: well, to be more substantial, I'll say I've missed the server while waiting for bukkit to, umm, upgrade. So thanks, nuka.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    nuka on
  • Options
    HaleskarthHaleskarth Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about the skyrim thing, it looks like it kind of exploded off my comment.
    I don't want to steamroll it into here obviously, but I do want to clarify.
    I'm not saying skyrim is by any means bad, morrowind is just more the game for me that skyrim is. Given the creative kit there are a lot of things I can tweak, but despite the amazing world I don't find myself having the desire to go back due to what I feel is the lack of depth in the factions which is how I generally define my character. Skyrim deserves game of the year, but it's not my game of the year, it's just an amazing product. It captivated me for a while, but other things captivate me for a long time.

Edit; as minecraft

My brain is going to be exploded whenever I go back to the server/its updated, I havent touched anything.

Haleskarth on
  • Options
    TL;DR I HAVE OPINONS ABOUT SKYRIM.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SopaSopa Yes I am a dinosaur, and yes I play videogames. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    nuka wrote:

Nuka-dong is a structure that's being built now. Of obsidian.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So I have a question, as someone who is terrible at making cool buildings and such...

How do you people that are actually good at making cool houses with an effective use of space go about planning and building your exorbitant and ridiculously awesome buildings? Do you just sorta start building and throw stuff in wherever you can? Do you draw up a floor plan?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Terrendos wrote:
    So I have a question, as someone who is terrible at making cool buildings and such...

How do you people that are actually good at making cool houses with an effective use of space go about planning and building your exorbitant and ridiculously awesome buildings? Do you just sorta start building and throw stuff in wherever you can? Do you draw up a floor plan?

I don't know if I count as being "good at making cool houses" but I hope I do! I usually plot-out a basic shape for my buildings using cobble embedded in the ground so it's flush with the edge of the grass first. It helps me visualize the amount of space I have on my lot and how much of it will be building and how much will be lawn or open space. After that I'll usually lay out the floor and then place the doors and just circle around the building placing one or two blocks at a time so the structure remains equally-tall on all sides.

I like adding touches like a stripe of cobble/stone-brick/smoothstone/etc to mark the separation of one floor from the next and I enjoy second-floor overhangs and balconies so I'll often build them off the side or front of my designs.

The interior is divided and a staircase/ladder is placed first so I know what kind of space I can work with on each floor before putting up interior walls and furniture.

Here's a sample of my work: The Tankard and Hammer Pub in Welden
    wsshuf.jpg

Only once did I make an actual graph-paper floorplan and that was when I built the Ghostbuster's firehouse on one of the earliest servers. I made that by translating the actual floor-plans from the buildings used in the movie as well as from their pen-and-paper game.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So you don't think about planning out actual rooms beforehand or anything? As in, you don't say "Okay, I'll put a fireplace here, and a kitchen-style room here, guest bedrooms here and here" until after your building is complete?

EDIT: I kind of want to make a mad scientist's manor style house, opulent and extravagant in size and such aboveground, and with a secret elevator/staircase leading underground to an enchanting room, a laboratory, forges, nether portal and the like. The problem I'm having is in planning out the manor part, and I can never seem to make as excellent use of space as the homes I see on the server.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    If I have a ton of space I usually start with a main room and branch off from there until the complex holds a cohesive shape and has decent flow. It's Minecraft, if I have to take that wall down it only takes a minute to do so.

• Options
    I consider what I'm putting inside the house, and build it room by room rather than build a giant house and then fill it up with stuff. That never works out and I end up with huge ass rooms with stuff shoved into a corner. Think of it as solving a puzzle. It's really easy to get an idea of what you want a room to look like. You want a library? For me that's a comfy couch, walls covered with books and a fireplace, and I guess a pair of lamps and a table. I build the room in my head, and then shove it into the puzzle with all the other rooms I have in my head and see how it fits together.

It's not actually a good idea to build without a plan, but on the other hand you can get some really interesting things made if you just wing it as you go but that I guess comes with confidence with what you can make.

Practice makes perfect. Build with like dirt or something so you can get the rooms of your house all planned out, and then use like gravel or sand as placeholders for whatever furnishings you put inside it.

• Options
    Haleskarth wrote:
    nuka wrote:

Hehe I should have clarified. I meant that for the previous discussion, it was getting silly.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    You can also use Creative mode on your own personal single player map to plan out things or try them out before building them for real. No putting up stacks of stone brick, only to have to laboriously tear them down later because symmetry or something, and no one else need ever see your darkest, most embarrassing abortion of a construction. It's not perfect, like when you need to work with the terrain but don't have an equivalent on your map, but for a house it's usually fine. It's like making a full scale model.

(Credit should go to Utsanomiko for the idea. I just took it from him.)

So Nuka, how about that render?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There are people online, but thank you for reminding me. I did get the note from Ultimak. He says it should take about 2 hours to do.

EDIT: I'm downloading the map now. Rendering isn't going to take more than 2 hours but I have a dsl connection and our map file is still pretty big.

nuka on
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote:
    You can also use Creative mode on your own personal single player map to plan out things or try them out before building them for real. No putting up stacks of stone brick, only to have to laboriously tear them down later because symmetry or something, and no one else need ever see your darkest, most embarrassing abortion of a construction. It's not perfect, like when you need to work with the terrain but don't have an equivalent on your map, but for a house it's usually fine. It's like making a full scale model.

(Credit should go to Utsanomiko for the idea. I just took it from him.)

So Nuka, how about that render?

Yeah that's sorta been my idea. It's also given me some useful tips, like "don't sleep in a bed that's directly below the ceiling."

If I combined that idea with Nuka's... perhaps I could create model modular housing components and just combine them when I'm building an actual house.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    What the fuck moment of the night:

So after having a plethora of bones, I made a small puppy army and sat them all on my floating island-sphere deck while I went to make some Pokeballs (oh, by the way, the Pokemobs mod is awesome). They're barking, which I finally figured out they're gonna do 24/7, but I thought it was at something so I open the door and God almighty it's a Spider Rider. And the little bastard is so desperate that it's swimming towards me. Sadly, one puppy did die, but the floater was smote thusly.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't touched Minecraft since the whole Nations at War thing.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I bought minecraft ages ago but the things you people build intimidate the fuck out of me.

I'm like, ok I'll dig here, deeply and greedily and then I'll build a small tower with maybe a buttress.

Then I come back above ground and everyone has a port and multiple cities and a tram system.

Weaver on
  • Options
    lol You should see the tower I'm building now. D:

• Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I quickly gave up measuring my enjoyment, in part, relative to what other people did in the game. Some folks are just damn good at making insane buildings and others are good but also do it nonstop until it is finished and I am not inclined to the first and not down with trying the second. That said I love looking around at the stuff we have now and always get a kick out of finding a new spot someone obviously spent time and effort on.

So instead I do whatever I feel like and if that means I'm going to farm enough reeds that I can make 300 bookcases for no reason than so be it. Or build bridges I don't need between mountaintops I don't use just because I like how the birch tree block looks and I damn well planted enough of them to cover my immediate surroundings with. Along the way I might try to build some cool things but I certainly am not going to worry myself if they could be better looking or more functional or whatnot.

Drijen on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Drijen wrote:
    I quickly gave up basing my enjoyment relative to what other people did in the game. Some folks are just damn good at making insane buildings and others are good but also do it nonstop until it is finished and I am not inclined to the first and not down with trying the second.

So instead I do whatever I feel like and if that means I'm going to farm enough reeds that I can make 300 bookcases for no reason than so be it. Or build bridges I don't need between mountaintops I don't use just because I like how the birch tree block looks and I damn well planted enough of them to cover my immediate surroundings with. Along the way I might try to build some cool things but I certainly am not going to worry myself if they could be better looking or more functional or whatnot.

That's the best way to do things.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    It's not a competition, unless you want it to be.

In other news, holy shit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8cFhfzcFY

• Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    It seriously would be like paralyzingly intimidating for me otherwise. I know I can't keep up with the Joneses so instead I moved out to the sticks and live in a mountain next to a witch.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Kinda sad that I missed the weeping angels thing.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    When the server finally gets up to date is a new map coming?

• Options
    Nope, we're just gonna let go of the borders.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Miners without Borders

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    TwixxoTwixxo the Lovebot Registered User regular
    Turns out I am indeed banned from Battlecraft, and I haven't the slightest idea why. Here is my appeal:

Your In Game Name: Twixxo

Do you know the reason? if so, why? I would love to know why.

If you DON'T know why you were banned, do you have any guess? I honestly have no idea why. A couple days ago, the player known as 'philly' (with 4 numbers after his name, i forget them) private messaged me in game and said that when logblock came back, he would have proof that I xray'd. This was completely random to me as I had not encountered him in a few days. The only times I did encounter him, were at this house i originally discovered him at. I spent a lot of time snooping around, looking for hidden chests and such. I made sure to be careful not to take too many blocks away, only common blocks to look inside walls and under floors. I replaced every block I took away. Eventually I found a hidden chest in their ceiling which is the only thing I can think of that he would of thought I xray'd to get to. I do not have any mods installed at all.

Why do you think you should be unbanned? When I signed up for this server, I read all the rules. I've only been on for about a week and have made sure to be careful not to break any rules. I have done nothing wrong and I believe that there sore losers/bad sports on the server who love getting people banned. I enjoy this server and have brought friends to it as well who enjoy it too. I planned on donating too (if I can ever find a damn job), but if I'm getting banned for not doing a thing, obviously I can't and won't. This only gives me a very bad reputation of the server that I would share with others who inquired about it.

Any extra info that could help you? I am an admin on a survival Minecraft server for the Social Entropy forum on the Penny Arcade forums which I also believe helps me easily spot unsportsmanlike players who I believe like to accuse people of these types of things. The Social Entropy head admin known as NukaGrenade on the forums says she will be glad to vouch for me when it comes to playing fair. (I also don't see why the entire Social Entropy server wouldn't vouch for me here, ask anyone there about me, they will tell you good things).

If the above reason is not why I was banned, please tell me and I will explain whatever that event may be.

TNBNcdc.gif
  • Options
    nuka wrote:
    Haleskarth wrote:
    nuka wrote:

Hehe I should have clarified. I meant that for the previous discussion, it was getting silly.

It was, I just felt bad, it pretty much steam rolled from my comment but then I never said a thing after. Didnt want to come off like a troll :(

• Options
    Haleskarth wrote:
    nuka wrote:
    Haleskarth wrote:
    nuka wrote:

It was, I just felt bad, it pretty much steam rolled from my comment but then I never said a thing after. Didnt want to come off like a troll :(
    I felt bad after explaining myself actually too.

Are you willing to admit that maybe we are just bad people? D:

• Options
    I'm done rendering, and I'm about to upload the maps now.

• Options
    TwixxoTwixxo the Lovebot Registered User regular
    Twixxo wrote:
    Turns out I am indeed banned from Battlecraft, and I haven't the slightest idea why. Here is my appeal:

If you DON'T know why you were banned, do you have any guess? I honestly have no idea why. A couple days ago, the player known as 'philly' (with 4 numbers after his name, i forget them) private messaged me in game and said that when logblock came back, he would have proof that I xray'd. This was completely random to me as I had not encountered him in a few days. The only times I did encounter him, were at this house i originally discovered him at. I spent a lot of time snooping around, looking for hidden chests and such. I made sure to be careful not to take too many blocks away, only common blocks to look inside walls and under floors. I replaced every block I took away. Eventually I found a hidden chest in their ceiling which is the only thing I can think of that he would of thought I xray'd to get to. I do not have any mods installed at all.

Why do you think you should be unbanned? When I signed up for this server, I read all the rules. I've only been on for about a week and have made sure to be careful not to break any rules. I have done nothing wrong and I believe that there sore losers/bad sports on the server who love getting people banned. I enjoy this server and have brought friends to it as well who enjoy it too. I planned on donating too (if I can ever find a damn job), but if I'm getting banned for not doing a thing, obviously I can't and won't. This only gives me a very bad reputation of the server that I would share with others who inquired about it.

Any extra info that could help you? I am an admin on a survival Minecraft server for the Social Entropy forum on the Penny Arcade forums which I also believe helps me easily spot unsportsmanlike players who I believe like to accuse people of these types of things. The Social Entropy head admin known as NukaGrenade on the forums says she will be glad to vouch for me when it comes to playing fair. (I also don't see why the entire Social Entropy server wouldn't vouch for me here, ask anyone there about me, they will tell you good things).

If the above reason is not why I was banned, please tell me and I will explain whatever that event may be.

Update: Apparently I (and a friend of mine who was with me) were given a 24hr ban for apparently majorly griefing someones seemingly abandoned (and already looted) house. I say "majorly" because the rules state that you can only do "minor griefing" (destroying a few common blocks to look for hidden chests, to gain entrance to a base etc). So apparently we did not do that. All we did was destroy some dirt and cobble to look for hidden chests in this house. I guess my friend destroyed some redstone though which is an odd specific griefing rule they have. I have decided that the rules are far from clear and the other players are eager to get their fellow enemies banned so therefore I will not be returning to the Battlecraft server, and I would not recommend it to anyone unless you want to be suddenly banned for no apparent, logical reason. I posted this on their support forums as my parting words:

Hello.

I would just like to express my disappointment in this server. I was banned for apparently griefing a house by removing dirt and cobblestone. I read the rules and saw that it was okay to remove a few common blocks to look for hidden chests etc- but apparently that is not the case.

After only playing for about a week, it's a shame that I was banned so soon for something so ridiculous as this. I was enjoying the community, events, the whole economy and mods system and especially playing with friends I had brought to the server. I was even considering donating to get a shop and the other nice features. My friends and I planned to start a clan and participate in the clan wars etc.

As a fair Minecraft player and an admin on a server, I highly suggest you refine your rules and better state what is and isnt allowed, especially in terms of griefing. In my opinion, if this were a true PvP server, griefing would be allowed, because thats what happens in conflict.

I will be expressing the lack of clear rules and guidelines for this server, and ultimately a negative experience to others who may ask about this server and if it is fun or not. Based on how things are run here, I know for a fact that countless other playeres were probably wrongfully banned as well. I am happy mcserverstatus.com has the "Bad" vote option- it will come in handy.

Congratulations on losing a fun player, and potential donator due to a simple lack of clarity in your administration. I can definitely say I will not be retuning.

Assholes.

TNBNcdc.gif
  • Options
    dargondarkfiredargondarkfire wyomingRegistered User regular
    Twixxo wrote:

if that guy claimed you xrayed to steal his stuff hes a poor loser.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm still confused as to why, if we're putting a .bin in the OP, we can't zip up an installation folder and have mods that require client-side mod installation and tell everyone to download it in order to play on the server.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Day
    Night

South road is parallel to the bottom for your computer monitor, and goes to the right. Just for your own directional purposes. :3

nuka on
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote:
    I'm still confused as to why, if we're putting a .bin in the OP, we can't zip up an installation folder and have mods that require client-side mod installation and tell everyone to download it in order to play on the server.

That is not something I have thought about. Would it work for a Mac too? What about people who play in the browser? That zip was just temporary due to the update.

• Options
    Ultimak told me to go Oblique, but next time I'll go Oblique Rotated for the renders.

This discussion has been closed.