Options

Tell me something I DON'T know

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    In Norway, no one can be forced to accept more than 25 of any unit of currency in a single payment. This means that if you're selling something for more than 47162, 50 NOK (8200 USD), nobody can demand you take a cash payment for it. Likewise, nothing worth more than 25 NOK is required to be purchasable with all 1s, and so on.

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I am pleased at all the facts that sprang up while I slept

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    when male honeybees mate their penises explode in midair and then they fall down and die

it's an interesting way to go

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My mother-in-law left her iPhone on the hood of the van as she drove my son into school this morning. By some twist of fate, it lodged itself into the space between the windshield and the hood instead of flying off in a random direction as she drove 75 miles per hour down the highway. She didn't realize the phone was missing until she got home, when she found it still safely nestled within the very same cleft.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I did Scott Kurtz's radio segue's for him when he was starting out with Toonhound and all that radio web casting jazz. Later on he quickly forgot who helped him and wouldn't even help link to a charity event to help a dying child I was trying to get awareness for. That child passed away.

I don't blame him for the child of course, but it's something I've had a hard time letting go lately because I have to see his face on the main site.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    Ah okay because I was all "But I have definitely seen Scottish notes, is he saying there are no notes at all?"

I bet you're one of those English shops that I was warned about before I headed south to visit, the ones that refuse Scottish notes.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    Ah okay because I was all "But I have definitely seen Scottish notes, is he saying there are no notes at all?"

I bet you're one of those English shops that I was warned about before I headed south to visit, the ones that refuse Scottish notes.

Nope!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Due to the ridiculous weight of kilometers of snow and ice depressing the Scandinavian peninsula during the Ice age that ended 12000 BC, parts of Sweden, Norway and Finland are still in the process of bobbing back up out of the Earth's mantle. The Swedish record is one centimeter per year.

A species of dwarf spider (Lessertia dentichelis) has only been encountered in one place in the entirety of Sweden - the metro station Kungsträdgården (King's garden) in Stockholm. No one knows how it got there.

Absalon on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    The Netherlands have a series of water based defences that could flood a portion of the country and turn the economic heartland of the Netherlands into an island. Built in the early 17th century the Water Line was very successful in keeping those bloody foreigners out until the French revolutionaries managed to bypass it all because our giant countrywide moat froze over.

h7iW9.jpg

The red dots are all fortresses and fortified towns of various sizes. Many of these are still pretty intact to this day.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Cockroaches have two brains, one in their head, and another in their abdomen. If you cut a cockroach in have, both halves will live for 48 hours before dying.

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    I did Scott Kurtz's radio segue's for him when he was starting out with Toonhound and all that radio web casting jazz. Later on he quickly forgot who helped him and wouldn't even help link to a charity event to help a dying child I was trying to get awareness for. That child passed away.

I don't blame him for the child of course, but it's something I've had a hard time letting go lately because I have to see his face on the main site.

Man, I hate stories like this.

• Options
    Did you know:

That I hope @Liiya is having a wonderful day!

• Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    Bit of trivia for you.

The word trivia is often said to be derived from the the Latin word for "three roads," trivium. In other words, a crossroad. This was where travelers and merchants passing one another would often stop and exchange small factoids with one another of questionable importance. But these intersections were everywhere in those days. It is more likely that they spawned the word trivial- something very common and insignificant. This makes sense as the information gained there amounted to nothing more than small-talk.

Trivia as we know it probably refers to Trivium- the lowest level of university education in Medieval times. Students learned subjects in 3 key disciplines (or roads): the study of grammar, logic, and rhetoric.

Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Liiya wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    Ubik wrote:
    Only coins are legal tender in Scotland
    Errrr what?

English banknotes are only legal tender in England and Wales.

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender at all as various Scottish banks get to make their own.

Instead both English and Scottish banknotes get defined, in Scotland, as promissory notes, which are treated as legal tender for all intents and purposes, but technically are not.

yeah, Scottish paper money exists but since it's not legal tender, someone could technically refuse to accept it
    since coins are legal tender, you couldn't refuse payment in coins

but none of it really matters because people don't refuse paper money

also: since the Scottish banks have to hold English notes to back the Scottish notes in circulation, the Bank of England issues special one million and one hundred million pound notes for the Scottish banks to hold

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Did you know:

That I hope @Liiya is having a wonderful day!

Hello! I'm having an alright day thank you, wrapping some Christmas presents up at the moment. How are you you Josh? I hope you're having an as good a day as possible given your circumstances. I admire you and your wife greatly, I hope you know!

• Options
    I only woke up about half an hour ago, and it's 25 degrees F out there! This wouldn't have been a huge problem if the heat had not been turned off for some weird reason. I woke up with cold feet since my wife wasn't here for me to torture with them

• Options
    I have not had heat in my house for a month. My heater broke and the landlord/rental agency are taking their SWEET ASS TIME getting shit together. They gave me two small electric heaters in the meantime... lol. 1500w little pieces of shit.

I AM COLD.

• Options
    I only woke up about half an hour ago, and it's 25 degrees F out there! This wouldn't have been a huge problem if the heat had not been turned off for some weird reason. I woke up with cold feet since my wife wasn't here for me to torture with them

Oh god, I couldn't cope with that, I feel the cold far too easily! Time to layer up?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Since my professor dropped me and I didn't have to be up at the university until 3:30 PM today I am actually having a decent morning. Thank you for asking! I am having a cup of black coffee and debating whether or not I should cook up an egg and tomato.

EDIT:

Well, I have since turned on the heat and am wearing a sweater, so now it is simply a waiting game!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Cook that egg Josh, cook that egg.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    question time

after walking home 7 miles last night at 3:30am (it took 90 minutes) i got kind of super sweaty thighs, and a sharp stabbing pain in my left inner thigh

walking like a crab helped but looked stupid

i got home and showered, and noticed a long purple indented line where the skin feels incredibly thin (like eyelid thin) which was incredibly painful to the touch

obviously being where it is, if my leg rubs it (say, walking) it causes a lot of discomfort

i've nuked it with cream and talc, is it just an annoying stretch mark or should i seek a sawbones???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I enjoy a cooked egg with some white rice and hot sauce. Mmm.

@Beasteh Early onset of Cyanosis due to a sudden over saturation of the skin and then lack of oxygen. Suck the poison out.

Heh just kidding, it's normal. You just chaffed yourself really well it sounds like. Baby powder or something of that sort should be fine, but if it's still like that in two days and just as painful, it's doctor time.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

Aargh, I don't think it was quite that cold but my heating failed last year and I can appreciate that it is not fun at all

Wear three pairs of socks!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    ps. i have an average build and reading up it says 'only occurs in pregnancy, bodybuilding or extreme weight gain'

whaa i weigh the same as i have for like 3 years

Beasteh on
  • Options
    See a doctor, we have an NHS to use and abuse at our will.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Could be fluid under the skin causing stretching? Happens with infections and stuff sometimes

Also yes bottom line see a doctor! I can't really think of any reason not to, especially if it's apparently a symptom people in your situation don't get at all usually

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    question time

after walking home 7 miles last night at 3:30am (it took 90 minutes) i got kind of super sweaty thighs, and a sharp stabbing pain in my left inner thigh

walking like a crab helped but looked stupid

i got home and showered, and noticed a long purple indented line where the skin feels incredibly thin (like eyelid thin) which was incredibly painful to the touch

obviously being where it is, if my leg rubs it (say, walking) it causes a lot of discomfort

i've nuked it with cream and talc, is it just an annoying stretch mark or should i seek a sawbones???

take your pants off and send me a picture

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Disclaimer: I am not a doctor

• Options
    Question Beasteh, did some sort of thing attach itself to your face recently

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Arang wrote:
    in a game of towers of hanoi, each disk moves 2^(n-1) times where n is the number that disk has in the initial stack, with the bottommost disk being disk 1 and so on

the total number of moves in the most efficient game is (2^n)-1, where n is the number of disks, and which demonstrates induction proofs in a real-life situation

the easiest way to play is to remember that the uppermost disk should always travel right (A-B-C), the second left (A-C-B), the third right and so on, and the largest disk which can be moved always should be

towers of hanoi puzzles (both 4-disk versions) appeared in bioware's knights of the old republic and mass effect, which gained it so much negative attention as the "bioware puzzle" that dragon age has a gravestone reading "T. Hanoi: unloved, unmourned"

Bloody n00bs. I hated the Tower of Hanoi back when it was in Ultima VIII: Pagan.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I hated the Towers of Hanoi back before Édouard Lucas invented them in 1883

Do I get indie cred now

• Options
    Once, I googled for an online version of Towers of Hanoi because I only had 4 kinds of coins and I wanted to see if I could do a 5-disc version

so I found one on a site called like "gamez 4 kidz" and it had a bunch of like space ships and princesses all over the page

you could adjust the number of disks and that fucker went up to fourteen

that's sixteen thousand moves

4 kidz

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Before How I Met Your Mother, Jason Segal and Alyson Hannigan have acted together in a movie some of you remember called "Dead Man on Campus"

That movie also showcased what happened to Zack Morris after Kelly divorced him and went to go marry Jeff from The Max.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Arang wrote:

4 kidz

At the very minimum!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Look, do you know how much a real babysitter costs these days?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I hated the Towers of Hanoi back before Édouard Lucas invented them in 1883

Do I get indie cred now

yeah it actually says here you in indie debt

you owe me

all your money

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    sorry bro, that's the economy for ya

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Now is the Indie Winter of our discount debt.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Arang wrote:

4 kidz

At the very minimum!

if a kid has to do a 14-disc game, I assume he's worked his way up to it and found out how trivial the game actually is

just physically playing that game would take like 16 hours

e: I should mention this game wouldn't recognize your victory just because you rebuilt the entire stack on a different pole from the original, it had to be the rightmost one

so there's an imaginable scenario where some poor 10-year old spent a whole day without leaving the computer, tirelessly moving disk after disk in a managed, predictable and totally unsurprising ordeal of mechanical boredom to be told at the end that his totally legitimate solution was wrong because he had moved the initial disk to the wrong pole 17 hours ago

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Today marks the 95th anniversary of the largest accidental man-made explosion, and until the invention of the atomic bomb, the largest man-made explosion in history.

On December 12th, 1917 the French munitions ship SS Mont Blanc collided with the Norwegian relief ship SS Imo in Halifax Harbour, Nova Scotia. About 2,000 people were killed by debris, fires, or collapsed buildings and it is estimated that over 9,000 people were injured.
    At 9:04:35 AM, the cargo of Mont-Blanc exploded with more force than any man-made explosion before it, equivalent to roughly 3 kilotons of TNT (about 1.26 x 1013 joules). (Compare to atomic bomb Little Boy dropped on Hiroshima, which had an estimated power of 15 kilotons TNT equivalent.)[31] The ship was instantly destroyed in the giant fireball that rose over 1.9 kilometres (1.2 mi) into the air, forming a large mushroom cloud. Shards of hot metal rained down across Halifax and Dartmouth. The force of the blast triggered a tsunami, which rose up as high as 18 metres (60 ft) above the harbour's high-water mark on the Halifax side. It was caused by the rapid displacement of harbour water near the blast, followed by water rushing back in towards the shore. The effects were likely compounded by the narrow cross-section of the harbour. There was little information documented on this event as witnesses were generally stunned and injured as the wave washed ashore, though the wave contributed to the death toll, dragging many victims on the harbour front into the waters. Imo was lifted up onto the Dartmouth shore by the tsunami. Captain Haakon From and most of the crew that were on the bridge of the Imo and on its decks were killed by the tsunami. A black rain of unconsumed carbon from the Mont-Blanc fell over the city for about 10 minutes after the blast, coating survivors and structural debris with soot.

Fragments of Mont-Blanc rained down all over the city. A portion of Mont-Blanc's anchor shaft, weighing 517 kilograms (1,140 lb) was thrown 3,780 metres (2.3 mi) west of the blast on the far side of the Northwest Arm; it is now part of a monument at the corner of Spinnaker Dr. and Anchor Dr. A gun barrel landed in Dartmouth, over 5.5 kilometres (3.4 mi) east, near Albro Lake. Another piece of wreckage was driven into the wall of St. Paul's Church, where it remains today. A one ton boulder, apparently from the harbour bottom, landed with some force on the Picton.

UnbrokenEva on