As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You know my methods, now put them to use (Not Safe For Napoleons of Crime)

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i cant wait to see this movie

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Other thoughts:

Edwardian England had shitty walls what with all the stuff that kept bursting through them.

Holmes was very lucky she could swim, a very realistic concern at a time few women could swim and still a realistic concern now, even without crinolines and corsets to fret about.

Latex cosmetic appliances!? Well I suppose I accepted all the other anachronisms.

And I loved the ending.

I'm sure Holmes can tell which ladies know how to swim by the development of certain neck muscles or something. At least for the 15 seconds it took for Mycroft to rowboat over to her.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gonna see this this week

then Tintin and Dragon Tattoo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Gonna see this this week

then Tintin and Dragon Tattoo

Tintin will be the first movie I see in theaters in almost a year.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I was almost almost going to be in North Carolina

YOU ARE KILLING ME
    what part?

My grandparents are still in Charlotte and they lobbied hard for me to come see them. Just not in the cards. Maybe over the summer, though??

Ehhh TOPICAL POST:

20holmes19080815collier.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Damn Sal I am just like an hour from Charlotte you don't even KNOW

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Saw this last night.

Really enjoyed it. I felt like it was arguably better than the first (easily as good as, to me).

I also felt like they actually included a fair bit of detective stuff. Even if they didn't show it all explicitly, it seemed like there was more investigating/deducing going on. Which made it play better for me.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I've heard very good things about the BBC Sherlock Holmes but is there anyway to catch up on the first season before season 2 starts soon? Will BBCA have a marathon?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:
    I've heard very good things about the BBC Sherlock Holmes but is there anyway to catch up on the first season before season 2 starts soon? Will BBCA have a marathon?

BBCA doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. You can watch it on Netflix Instant.

Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    TrippyJing wrote:
    I read the title as Napoleons of China for a second there.

Man, how short must those guys be?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I don't have Netflix.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:
    I don't have Netflix.

Amazon Instant Video lets you download the episodes, but I think they are like $5 a piece. I don't know where else you could watch them. Maybe on the BBC website. I don't know if they still block other countries from using it or not.

Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Finally saw this movie after a long delay. Late enough that it had moved down to auditorium #10, but oh well.

I recognized the lines on the pages during the credits as being from The Final Problem, the story Watson is writing on the typewriter. But they show the part about them burning down his rooms twice and his rooms aren't burned down once in the film. Huh.

Watson mentions Mycroft's circuit being between his home and the Diogenes Club, but his circuit is actually his home, Whitehall, the Diogenes Club. Explainable by the Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans taking place after the Adventure of the Empty House, and Watson does find out later in the film of Mycroft's office, but the omission at the time still stood out as notable.

Wasn't really into the whole explosiony-action mortar bazooka gun adventures fighting against/fleeing from an army, but the mentally-planned out duel at the end was cool. But this account, with Watson actually being there to witness the fall over the edge, makes it difficult to explain Holmes' survival without simultaneously leaving the opening for Moriarty's survival. In the original, Sherlock survives by being the only one to actually fall, and he watches Moriarty bounce off a rock, to make his death more assured. Then he hides while Watson comes up and pieces together the scene. Third movie's going to have to come up with something interesting to explain how they BOTH fell over and only one survived.

First time I saw Colonel Moran I thought it was Lestrade. Haven't watched the first movie in a while. But I did like this one rather better than the first.

Didn't like the trailers of any of the movies beforehand, though. Probably could have leveled my trooper up a bit more and arrived fashionably late.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    so is this a two hour-long music video like the rest of his movies or is it passable?

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    SabreMau wrote:
    But this account, with Watson actually being there to witness the fall over the edge, makes it difficult to explain Holmes' survival without simultaneously leaving the opening for Moriarty's survival. In the original, Sherlock survives by being the only one to actually fall, and he watches Moriarty bounce off a rock, to make his death more assured. Then he hides while Watson comes up and pieces together the scene. Third movie's going to have to come up with something interesting to explain how they BOTH fell over and only one survived.

@SabreMau They actually gave an explanation:
    In the closing scene when John receives the parcel containing the oxygen device Sherlock stole from Mycroft. The implication being that he used it when they fell and didn't drown. And if you think back, Watson's narration of the fall makes it clear that the water was the real danger, not jutting cliffs. At the time of the narration I was confused about why that would be what he was focused on but it made sense retroactively.

So yeah I just saw this tonight and enjoyed it a lot. And being a gigantic Stephen Fry fanboy didn't hurt.

And yeah I hated the trailers too. Other than Dark Knight Rises. Like I was actively getting almost upset about it, I was so bothered by what Hollywood has become.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetious wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    But this account, with Watson actually being there to witness the fall over the edge, makes it difficult to explain Holmes' survival without simultaneously leaving the opening for Moriarty's survival. In the original, Sherlock survives by being the only one to actually fall, and he watches Moriarty bounce off a rock, to make his death more assured. Then he hides while Watson comes up and pieces together the scene. Third movie's going to have to come up with something interesting to explain how they BOTH fell over and only one survived.

@SabreMau They actually gave an explanation:
    In the closing scene when John receives the parcel containing the oxygen device Sherlock stole from Mycroft. The implication being that he used it when they fell and didn't drown. And if you think back, Watson's narration of the fall makes it clear that the water was the real danger, not jutting cliffs. At the time of the narration I was confused about why that would be what he was focused on but it made sense retroactively.

So yeah I just saw this tonight and enjoyed it a lot. And being a gigantic Stephen Fry fanboy didn't hurt.

And yeah I hated the trailers too. Other than Dark Knight Rises. Like I was actively getting almost upset about it, I was so bothered by what Hollywood has become.
    At that height, the drowning's not an issue, it's the impact of hitting the water. Come to think of it, throwing Mary into the river at high speed should have also inflicted more damage than it did.

Sending the oxygen device is a nice clue and callback, but how he survived the fall is trickier than the canonical explanation that he never fell in the first place. Maybe Watson only saw him go over the edge and he grabbed onto the bottom of the balcony and the parts where we see them both falling are just imagined.

I didn't like the Dark Knight Rises trailer much either. Then again, I only watched half of the first movie and none of the second.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Well sure it's a (huge) suspension of disbelief obviously.

I'm just saying that the film established its own reality in regards to what happened.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Honestly, I thought the DKR trailer needed a little bit of a different approach. I felt like the football field set piece didn't have the impact it should have had for some reason.

• Options
    Hey did someone mention the DKR trailer because

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NRsPDhyHrc

• Options
    Also I really want to see Sherlock 2 again

• Options
    I want to see Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol again

also Hugo

and I still need to see Tintin

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I want to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

And Tintin.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    So. . . this is a good movie? Because I really want to see a movie about this bizarrely specific segment in time.

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    BusterK wrote:
    Nah those tv guys really pale in comparison

jesus and people say i have bad opinions
    i tried to watch the first sherlock holmes movie right after watching the sherlock season 2 premiere
    i got 10 minutes in before i was like 'this is fucking garbage'
    robert downey jr.'s accent is so fake and forced and sherlock holmes as an action star is stupid as balls

sherlock even did the 'combat analysis' thing better!

• Options
    So. . . this is a good movie? Because I really want to see a movie about this bizarrely specific segment in time.

it's pretty alright

• Options
    Both the films and tv show are really good in different ways!

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I think I like the BBC show a tiny bit more

but it is hard to choose!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    this is a really really good movie

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i was sat watching it trying to understand why it was so familiar until it hit me

ohhhh its guy ritchie

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    jesus and people say i have bad opinions
    i tried to watch the first sherlock holmes movie right after watching the sherlock season 2 premiere
    i got 10 minutes in before i was like 'this is fucking garbage'
    robert downey jr.'s accent is so fake and forced and sherlock holmes as an action star is stupid as balls

Pretty much! I don't hate RDJ's Sherlock - I actually think he's got it down in some respects, but he just doesn't compare to Cumberbatch's. I'd like to say the movies feel lighter and less mysterious because they have more character stuff or more action, but that isn't true. The TV series got plenty of that going on too.

Also, this may seem a weird complaint, but Game of Shadows didn't give up much for the viewer's interpretation. In the first movie, we had layers of mystery which we could analyze as the movie went on - all the deaths and Blackwood's resurrection, as well as his endgame which we got plenty of clues to. Second movie had none of that; we learned of Moriarty's goals at the same time as Sherlock, there's nothing for the viewer to figure out for their self.

The combat analysis boxing scene was the best bit in the first RDJ movie. Game Of Shadows had a terrible opening fight scene, shit flying around and freeze framing faster than a Saw movie. But it also had the
    final mental fight, with Moriarty taking over the narration for the combat
    and that was probably my favourite scene from either movie.

Oh Game of Shadows, why must you split my opinion so?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The opening fight scene made me think they turned Sherlock Holmes into Jackie Chan.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    sherlock holmes has always been a capable fighter

baritsu and all that

personally i view the RDJ holmes and Cumberbatch's as alternate and valid interpretations of the same figure

it's like batman

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    I liked the first Sherlock Holmes-- How does the second film compare?

If I added that I love the Great Game, the Tournament of Shadows, corsets, and anyone related to Richard Harris what would you say then?

• Options
    why do you think we know any better than, say, A.O. Scott or Roger Ebert?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I liked both films, PI. Slightly different tone, but Jared Harris as Moriarty is goddamn phenomenal.

I don't remember there being many corsets in the film though, sorry to say.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

the guy actually asks for an opinion and you tell him to basically fuck off?

I don't understand you

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    This movie was approximately 10000x better than the first one.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote:
    This movie was approximately 10000x better than the first one.

This is the wrong opinion.

But:
    The end fight narration with Moriarty was my favorite scene from either movie.

• Options
    I don't know if I'd say 10000x better, because I like the first movie so much. I'd say they are more or less equal, and if you liked the first one you will probably like this one at least as much.

• Options
    Seriously wrote:

the guy actually asks for an opinion and you tell him to basically fuck off?

I don't understand you

because I know that PI is someone who values film criticism and knows what he likes

it wasn't meant as an insult