As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

30 years of platforming: Platformer appreciation thread

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
Platformers.jpg

One of the oldest videogame genres, the platformer genre started back in 1981, when Nintendo released Donkey Kong in arcades. After this there has been many great adventures, and from drowning King Koopa to lava for very first time to running away cops in Mirror's Edge, platformers carry nostalgic memories for many of us. Today in this thread we join to celebrate and share our memories about this glorious genre that was once upon time the most popular genre around. From 2D to 3D, all platformers are welcome, except Bubsy the Bobcat and Awesome Possum. :)

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Wow there's a lot in that list that I've played and enjoy immensely. Croc, Oddworld, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Rocket Knight Adventures, Castle of Illusion, Ape Escape, Aladdin...

Bravo platformers. 30 years of "that one jump".

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dunxco wrote:
    Wow there's a lot in that list that I've played and enjoy immensely. Croc, Oddworld, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Rocket Knight Adventures, Castle of Illusion, Ape Escape, Aladdin...

Yeah, those games are in chronological order by their release year, no matter what region was. This is why Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario Bros 3 are next each other, and original Adventure Island is fourth game on the list. When I compiled this list, I found it rather surprising that there wasn't that many interesting new platformers for handhelds, as most of them were just ports of their console counterparts. The list itself is actually real sized movie poster I made to my friend, and while I do have original copy around, it is more than 80 MBs in size.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Hooray for the one and only genre in which platforming belongs.

Seriously, though. Very fond memories of Super Mario 1,2,3, and World in particular. NSB rekindled a bit of the magic, and it's the last DS game I really cared to play for any length of time.

And I will always remember playing Moon Patrol, which I think counts as a platformer on account of the basic mechanics, on the only local machine I could find, at the top of the Space Needle.

Still going strong as a genre, too, judging from the XBLA bestseller lists.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Vib Ribbon is kind of not actually a platformer at all.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I have played 56 of however many are shown there, in some form or another, and many more as well.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't help but notice the Aladdin Sega Genesis game is in that mural. And I approve, that was actually a damn decent game.

I'm also reminded that I still need to play Shantae. As well as the sequel that FINALLY came out.

• Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    That mural is sorely lacking Outland from its pick of recent platformers

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I think Sonic Generations is the best platformer released in the past... eight years?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is still the best platforming game ever.

Pure fun from start to finish.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Voodoo Vince is an awesome platformer, and it's a shame that it never got enough credit. Or maybe it did and I never noticed. At any rate it's one of the only games to make me go "Oh my god" at a final boss, which was basically the final level and was full of insane platforming.

Also I'm just going to get this super duper controversial statement out there now: The Meat Circus was not hard. It wasn't. It's just platforming you've been doing the whole game, but a little more quickly.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    Henry Hatsworth is one of the best modern platformers so far, in my opinion.
    Classic ones? DKC saga, specially 2. Mega Man 2 (of course), Super Mario 3 (best Mario yet, imo), Turrican saga...
    And as somebody said before, Yoshi's Island.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miner 2049:er and Montezuma's Revenge is missing from that image...

...also, I haven't spotted Bubble Bobble yet, but surely it must be in there somewhere?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I love platformers. Favorite genre for sure. I especially enjoy discovering classic platformers for the first time. Super Mario World was the first game I ever beat and I was so excited.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    eobet wrote:
    ...also, I haven't spotted Bubble Bobble yet, but surely it must be in there somewhere?

When doing that mural, I tried to stick more "purer" platforming experiences, and for me Bubble Bobble has always been more of puzzle- than platforming game. Okay, it contains lot of jumping, but during later levels it takes more puzzle related nature. I didn't put Rainbow Island on the mural, because there hasn't been decent port of it released on consoles in the west. Only worthwhile port was "Rainbow Islands Extra" for Genesis.
    Turrican saga...

Wouldn't Turrican be more like run and gun? Granted, my knowledge on Turrican is limited on small snippets I saw on my friends Amiga 500, but it looked more like run and gun to me.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    KobunKobun Registered User regular
    elkatas wrote:
    eobet wrote:

When doing that mural, I tried to stick more "purer" platforming experiences, and for me Bubble Bobble has always been more of puzzle- than platforming game.

Yet Vib Ribbon makes the cut... :p It, using the DS Yoshi's Island cover, and James Pond aside (though the latter's more of a quality issue), that's an awesome mural. I'm sure everyone can pick it apart for oversights or "why X but not Y" stuff. No Umihara Kawase Shun makes me cry, but it's not gonna kill me. It's clearly a US focused list anyway, and it'd be tough for anyone to narrow it down to a "100 best platformers ever" list which I don't believe this is attempting to be.

I've played every game up there except that de Blob 2 and that Arabian GameBoy Color game. What's that? Font's too small for me to read.

site_xbligco.png
  • Options
    elkatas wrote:
    [Yet Vib Ribbon makes the cut... :p It, using the DS Yoshi's Island cover, and James Pond aside (though the latter's more of a quality issue), that's an awesome mural. I'm sure everyone can pick it apart for oversights or "why X but not Y" stuff. No Umihara Kawase Shun makes me cry, but it's not gonna kill me. It's clearly a US focused list anyway, and it'd be tough for anyone to narrow it down to a "100 best platformers ever" list which I don't believe this is attempting to be.

Umihara was going to be there, until I decided to stick games that are released in the west. That Gameboy Color game is Shantae.

Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    I love platformers. Favorite genre for sure. I especially enjoy discovering classic platformers for the first time. Super Mario World was the first game I ever beat and I was so excited.

Such a great game. And than beating all the star levels and than replaying the regular game with a whole new look.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Also, this thread should be renamed "30 years of console platforming", because Bitmap Brothers' two games GODS and Magic Pockets aren't present, and GODS definitely should be. Superfrog, Chuck Rock, and someone already mentioned Turrican...

But if you disqualify Bubble Bobble because of it being a "puzzle game" (aren't you thinking of Puzzle Bobble, btw?) I guess GODS will be disqualified for being an "RPG"... ;-)

I don't even dare to mention the Shadow of the Beast games...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Castlevania.jpg

• Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    Ohh man. Ape Escape. I spent so much time on that game. I need to go back and play a lot of these again.

Also, this reminded me that I still need to go back and finish Donkey Kong Country 2. I got to the second to last level as a kid, and though I've seen the ending I never got to it myself. I MUST RESOLVE THIS!

• Options
    eobet wrote:
    Also, this thread should be renamed "30 years of console platforming", because Bitmap Brothers' two games GODS and Magic Pockets aren't present, and GODS definitely should be. Superfrog, Chuck Rock, and someone already mentioned Turrican...

Yeah, it is solely focused on console gaming. Perhaps we should do different thread for Spectrum, C64, Amiga, and early PC classics. :)
    emnmnme wrote:
    Castlevania.jpg

I left that out and opted with Castlevania 3. I personally prefer first Castlevania tho', and it was third console game I ever got. :)

Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ohh man. Ape Escape. I spent so much time on that game. I need to go back and play a lot of these again.

Also, this reminded me that I still need to go back and finish Donkey Kong Country 2. I got to the second to last level as a kid, and though I've seen the ending I never got to it myself. I MUST RESOLVE THIS!

I've been beefing up my snes collection and wife surprised me a couple weeks ago with DKC 1 2 and 3. I'm going through 2 right now. Such a good game.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    This is my thread. I belong here.

Platformers are definitely my favourite type of games, I've no idea why but they always have been. I'm on a platforming kick right now. Finished off TinTin (pretty good), Uncharted 3 (ok, more a shooty game, but I play it for the platforming), Sonic Generations, on with Trine 2 at the moment, then I've got Rayman coming up after xmas. Huzzah!

Also thanks for including Pacland. I now have the music stuck in my head :p

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I played Zillion 2 like mad as a kid. And it enraged me so.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Obsession and rage in equal measure.

So many times I beat a game only to find that the victory was not worth the journey. Not even close. It was just a sign that I could stop playing a really shitty game!

That having been said, there was also some great games, Double Dragon 2, Super Spike Beach V Ball, Bionic Commando, etc. <3

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    I loved the Prince of Persia Reboot a couple years back. Even though the combat was easy, the platforming was fun and fluid.
    And I wish we got more of the linear platforming puzzles from AssCreed 2, although I haven't played Brotherhood or revelations yet.

• Options
    KobunKobun Registered User regular
    Prince of Persia is good, but the platform bits felt too guided for my taste. You can feel the Prince locking into certain routes as he chained leaps from hooks and ran across walls. I didn't mind because it made the gameplay smooth enough without any of the camera and collision issues which tend to crop up in these sorts of games so I can enjoy the dialogue and artwork. It's too bad it wasn't more well received, primarily because it's death animation didn't satisfy players' expectations for death animation and penalties. :/

site_xbligco.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Bookmarked this thread!

As someone who got his first Nintendo on Christmas the year it came out, Mario was influential in making me the gamer I am today. The Platformer is my favorite genre and it saddens me to see that it is one that is mostly relegated to digital distribution. Thank you Nintendo for continuing to keep this genre alive!

Super Mario 3D Land is Nintendo at the top of their game!

Now give me New Super Mario Bros 2: Wart's Revenge!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Now that's a great idea. Give us a modern 3D platformer with playable floaty Peach and Toad.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think Sonic Generations is the best platformer released in the past... eight years?

Seems about right to me. NSMB was pretty decent but I even enjoy super meat boy more. Sonic Generations is awesome. Mirrors edge 2 is the next platformer i've got my sights on. The new rayman seems pretty fun too. Recent honorable mentions: N+, braid, new megaman, couple other ds platformers like donkey kong swinger. Seems I prefer speedier platformers, makes sense considering racing games appeal to me even more.

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My favorite Platformers over the last several years pretty much boil down to Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Mega Man 9, Wario Land: Shake It!, and Splosion Man.

There were many honerable mentions, but these were at the top of their class.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think my love of platformers is well established around these parts, so I'll just say that I approve of the list.

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    never mind, found it.
    You did put Ghouls & Ghosts in.
    Good job, you're an [your country here] hero!

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have never heard o Shantae til now and I feel disappointed by this fact, it looks fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I didn't really enjoy G&G (was really bad at it and it scared me a little) but it reminds me of that psp platformer, Prinny: Can I be the hero? Pretty fun and great to pick up and play dood.

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    nevermind.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    I miss collecting things. Yeah there was a deluge of collectathons after Mario 64, which you can see quite clearly from the picture, but I liked collecting everything. It just made me feel awesome when I found every single gem or music note. Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins can go to hell though, fuck that. Even with a guide I still had trouble making some of the red chests appear and I eventually gave up. I shouldn't have to jump back and forth in a hallway of instant death bubbles for 5 minutes before I finally get the exact right position for Arthur to trigger the chest.

• Options
    Gilder wrote:
    Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins can go to hell though, fuck that. Even with a guide I still had trouble making some of the red chests appear and I eventually gave up. I shouldn't have to jump back and forth in a hallway of instant death bubbles for 5 minutes before I finally get the exact right position for Arthur to trigger the chest.

In Japan they released a revised version of Ultimate G&G which took out the collection aspect and turned it into a straight action game with the traditional G&G 2-loop system. With the revisions, the game is just about as top notch quality as the other games in the series. If it weren't for it being a little too long (1 hour 30 minutes to clear once you know what you're doing) I'd probably say it's just as good as Ghouls & Ghosts.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Please tell me there is a higher resolution of the picture in the OP somewhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Gilder wrote:
    Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins can go to hell though, fuck that. Even with a guide I still had trouble making some of the red chests appear and I eventually gave up. I shouldn't have to jump back and forth in a hallway of instant death bubbles for 5 minutes before I finally get the exact right position for Arthur to trigger the chest.

In Japan they released a revised version of Ultimate G&G which took out the collection aspect and turned it into a straight action game with the traditional G&G 2-loop system. With the revisions, the game is just about as top notch quality as the other games in the series. If it weren't for it being a little too long (1 hour 30 minutes to clear once you know what you're doing) I'd probably say it's just as good as Ghouls & Ghosts.

Yeah it's too bad the US never got that revision, because it's really unnecessary to have the ring collection. It would be tolerable if they didn't have 5 or so for finding all the red chests. That's ludicrous, because you'll never find them all without a guide. It's impossible. If I walk down the dead-end tunnel that should trigger it. I shouldn't have to jump at the perfect spot.