As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not a gamer, I'm a collector.

• Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ...I will never play ... tales of symphonia
    You might wanna get around to that. It's pretty much 30+ hours of good times.

Most of my games I won't play are RPG's I just can't seem to stay focused on them anymore, the last one I even played through was Kingdom Hearts 2. I just can't seem to start a new story. Kinda sucks as I've heard good things about Vagrant Story and XenoGears.

i think that is how it is for a lot of people. when you are younger its easy to put time into rpgs. when you get older, they just lose priority. the time is somewhat still there, it just has to go to other things. So when you get time to play games, its hard to invest it into a rpg. at least thats what i think. i like to believe that when i graduate from college, i'll have a little more time to play games. or at least when i'm a senile old man, i can go back and play all the games i've amassed

and i do find myself more as a collector many times.

theparttime on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would not consider myself a collector, but I definitely don't get rid of any of my stuff or sell my old systems/games. I'm up to 15 systems at this point (counting portables), but to me the coolest thing I have is Steel Battalion. I have a couple of games I haven't beaten, but I've made it all the way through at least 90-95% of my games. The damnable shame of it all is that I still can't beat Blaster Master for the NES. I've had that game for 15-20 years and I still can't beat the damn thing. That's the only NES game I own that I can't finish off.

I don't have a lot of really rare games, though, and my Game Gear is my only Sega console/portable. Gotta get me a Dreamcast.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I actually have two copies of Earthbound complete(box and strategy guide) but I can't bring myself to sell one.

I'll give you $20.

I would only sell it to a real gamer. Not you with your twisted ways! Unless you went up to like $21.00...

I have Ness tattoo'd onto my freakin arm. If you sell it, sell it to meeeeeeeeee!
    Did you go to Anime Expo last july in anaheim? There was a guy there with a Ness tattoo on his shoulder area. I got a picture. Was that you?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Boilerbird wrote: »

I think we need proof of said Ness tattoo before the forums can okay this transaction.

img0522ny0hl2.jpg

Link to my blog entry.
    Did you go to Anime Expo last july in anaheim? There was a guy there with a Ness tattoo on his shoulder area. I got a picture. Was that you?

No sir. Mine is on my wrist.

Sheep on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I find that hard to define. I still play a lot of games, but I also have a lot of stuff sitting around that I don't play much anymore, simply because I wanted it. It just so happens that by my tests a lot of what I have sitting around falls into the "collector" category. Namely old games and PCB's.

crash5s on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ah, yes. Your very...hairy...wrist :P

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KillaKilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't even have a PS2 system at the moment, but that didn't stop me from buying SF Anniversary collection. 3rd Strike is a game I never played, and the chance to have a copy and indulge in it somewhere down the line is irresistible. It's too bad that Hori Stik for PS3 doesn't work for PS1/PS2 games.

Likewise, I had my copy of Mega Man Anniversary stolen, but I plan to rebuy that and the MMX Collection just so I can break them out on a rainy day.

I'm not opposed to selling games I'll never play again, though. Monster Rancher 4 got me like $14 at EBstop. Who knew?

Killa on
    00FINALtextdiff600x100.gif
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am both a collector and a gamer. I play all of my games (or have intentions to) and spend more time reading and talking about games than is probably reasonable. But I also never get rid of a game and I love having a large collection of games, even if I know I'll play them again. My collection doesn't stop at just games though, I also have a variety of gaming related toys and shirts and other random stuff.

I get double out of the videogame hobby. I get to play them and collect them.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just realized that. I go to game stores and buy games that I don't really see a whole lot of and never play them.
    Heck I have an Atari Jaguar, a Cd-i, a neo geo pocket, and a Lynx. I have probably 20-30 gamecube games I will never play(killer 7, tales of symphonia, the resident evils(prior to 4)). And all because I thought 'Hey these may be rare some day'.

But I can't bring myself to sell them, anyone else ever have this problem?

Someday, perhaps a few decades from now, you're going to look at all this stuff you have, laugh at how old and crappy it all seems, and regret spending so much money on it all.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    I just realized that. I go to game stores and buy games that I don't really see a whole lot of and never play them.
    Heck I have an Atari Jaguar, a Cd-i, a neo geo pocket, and a Lynx. I have probably 20-30 gamecube games I will never play(killer 7, tales of symphonia, the resident evils(prior to 4)). And all because I thought 'Hey these may be rare some day'.

Someday, perhaps a few decades from now, you're going to look at all this stuff you have, laugh at how old and crappy it all seems, and regret spending so much money on it all.

I already regret it. Especially not reselling the stuff before another version was made. I am getting better though, I haven't bought a new game in a long time(except for Gameboy, because my job usually requires me to wait for people to show up for 30+ minutes).
    I just need to get rid of a bunch of the stuff I have. I guarantee I won't be looking to pop Dragon Warrior 1-4 into my NES anytime soon, I have them on my computer and they are MUCH more satisfying to play there.

Don't get me started on my collection of gaming magazines(not strategy guides), I have an entire closet full of them.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Vegan wrote: »

I already regret it. Especially not reselling the stuff before another version was made. I am getting better though, I haven't bought a new game in a long time(except for Gameboy, because my job usually requires me to wait for people to show up for 30+ minutes).
    I just need to get rid of a bunch of the stuff I have. I guarantee I won't be looking to pop Dragon Warrior 1-4 into my NES anytime soon, I have them on my computer and they are MUCH more satisfying to play there.

Don't get me started on my collection of gaming magazines(not strategy guides), I have an entire closet full of them.

For what it's worth, I know how you feel. Back in 2000 I got sucked into the DVD craze and ended up around $6,000 in credit card debt. This was way before DVDs were $10 at Target and Fry's. I just got out of debt, and the worst part of the ordeal was selling all those DVDs for 1 or 2 dollars each, because I needed money but they're simply worthless nowadays.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I typically complete games, yet on occasion finish 1/2 and discover I despise the central game mechanics of the game.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Probably my best find was Ico at WalMart for 10 dollars. Oh, and a little game I like to call Symphony of the Night (original, not GH) for about 3 dollars in a used book store.

I can relate to the stacks of magazines, though. I learned pretty much eveything I know about gaming thanks to three milk cartons worth of GamePros and EGMs from like, 1998+. Oh, and my first RPG was a demo of FFVII on PC, that came with my Dad's copy of Tomb Raider 3.

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Boilerbird wrote: »

I think we need proof of said Ness tattoo before the forums can okay this transaction.

img0522ny0.jpg

Link to my blog entry.

No sir. Mine is on my wrist.

I gotta admit, that is pretty hardcore.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I collect games, and I play all of the ones I collect. Sometimes I don't play them to their "fullest" or beat them, but I probably beat 98 percent of my games.

I definitely feel as though I'm collecting them, and I certainly keep them (never sell/trade). My PS2 collection is enormous, and full of quality.

I also do things like this:

Photo of N64 & GBA cases

I would love to do what you did with the N64 cases, but I really don't have the shelf space. I've at least added labels to the top of mine so I can stack them and still find stuff at a glance:

148.jpg

I pulled out a stack here so you can see what the labels look like. I really need a better way to store my stuff, 'cause right now it's hard to get at everything.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I buy games I mean to play.
    Mind you, this is a lot of them.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have games I've owned for years, yet never gotten around to playing. Then I'll go to a Best Buy, Circuit City clearance sale and go to town on cheap games, and not get around to playing those either :P I must have at least 40 games sitting around in shrinkwrap still.

seanc on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had a modest collection that I recently sold for around $1,200. I'm going to use that money to go on a trip (which is honestly much better than a bunch of games taking up shelf space, serving to satisfy my inner materialist).

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I was just checking Ebay prices, and apparently old magazines are hot ticket items! I saw the first 48 issues of Nintendo Power go for $80 (+$66 shipping). Who knew being a nerd would be so profitable?
    On that note I have every issue of Nintendo Power.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I was just checking Ebay prices, and apparently old magazines are hot ticket items! I saw the first 48 issues of Nintendo Power go for $80 (+$66 shipping). Who knew being a nerd would be so profitable?

Damn.

I had several years of EGM stacked when I was still livin with my parents.

Sheep on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have that exact problem. I have an assortment of games I could get a decent amount for (nothing amazing, but respectable numbers), and I can't let any go. Most of them, I know I'll probably never play again. But I know that if I do want to play them again, and I've sold them, they'll be impossible to find anywhere.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    SoljrSoljr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The SEGA Pico was "the computer that think it's a toy". I have no idea what it was supposed to do. I just remember it coming out when SEGA was releasing too many systems.

Anybody have Freedom Fighter (Escape From Cyber City) on CD-I?

Soljr on
  • Options
    seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Damn.

I had several years of EGM stacked when I was still livin with my parents.

I have like 100+ issues of EGM in my closet, even the one with Fabio on the cover from Wizards & Warriors

seanc on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am worse than anyone in this thread. I have no doubt that my "own, but not played" list runs into the thousands. I have yet to spend more than 10mins with Twilight Princess and I've had it since launch (don't hurt me!).

CZroe on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    people who buy games just to never open or play them just make me go O_o I very rarely finish games I buy, and i never sell them because you never know when you'll want to play it again. But to buy something just to have, to fully intend never to make use of..it just doesn't make sense to me

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    people who buy games just to never open or play them just make me go O_o I very rarely finish games I buy, and i never sell them because you never know when you'll want to play it again. But to buy something just to have, to fully intend never to make use of..it just doesn't make sense to me

That's actually the same mindset. I dream of being rich someday with enough time to sit down and play what I can play. It's just that I know I'll never be able to find this stuff in the future and certainly not for the clearance prices I can find it at here and now.

CZroe on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I go in to stores looking for JRPG's I haven't gotten or other games which Look interesting. Like Yesterday I got from the local EB Growlanser Generations, Final Fantasy Tatics Advance, Street Fighter Anthology and Ghost in the Sheel: Stand Alone Complex. Today I went to the same EB to pick up Chulip and then found a Store called Music World which Had Makai Kingdoms and Phantom Brave Story.

Do I plan to play them all? Yes I do. I have finished Xenosaga I, Xenosaga II, Radiata Stories, Wild Arms 4, Tales of Symphonia and Lost Kingdoms. I am currently playing Tales of the Abyss.

I usually have a rotation which does 4 PS2 games then 4 GC games then 4 PS2 Games and so on until I have finished it. I abandoned my GC rotation and went back to the PS2 after a couple of fault starts in a couple of games which annoyed me and forced me to go back.

I do have GBA games which I still have to play on lunch at work but haven't picked it up yet because of the work load. I am still trying to finish Ygddra Union. And for some reason I bought 4 PSP games without having a PSP system. Don't know why I did it.

Here is some old picks of my PS2 and GC collection.

GC Games:
    100_1598.jpg

PS2 Games:
    100_1596.jpg

Keep in mind these are old and new ones should be comming soon.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    chronoboundgearchronoboundgear Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I used to collect, but then I realized I would never play most of them and could sell them for a decent price still. Also, my friend kept practically all of his games (except Earthbound cause he's a moron), but he was pretty poor. I don't want to be poor.

chronoboundgear on
    Xbox 360 Tag: Earthbound King

Every fights a food fight when you're a cannibal.
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

That's actually the same mindset. I dream of being rich someday with enough time to sit down and play what I can play. It's just that I know I'll never be able to find this stuff in the future and certainly not for the clearance prices I can find it at here and now.

I dunno man, my last gamelog showed I had 1400 games, and I know I haven't played all those.

And thats before I bought a lot of PS2 games.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Another thing with me, I'd rather reply a game than start a new one(even an RPG) I've played Final Fantasy VII through X all the way from start to finish at least three times each(X2 close to 7 or 8). I just recently restarted Beyond Good and Evil for my third playthrough, even though I have other games. I guess I'm one of those people that Square hopes will go out and buy all of their rehashes.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    fami2.jpg

fami1.jpg
    My parents bought the Twin Famicom inexplicably from a garage/yard sale 5 or 6 years ago. I've been able to test all the 40 or so cartridge games (w/ a honeybee or whatever their called) but not so sure on the floppy ones. That Doriemon game sucks.

Pic4.jpg
    ^fresh! minty! sealed! I like to hunt down old PC jewls :D

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ^I think you win.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Im a collector and a gamer, but I will buy something I know I wont play much, or a different version of something I already own if I know its rare. I never actually sold a game up till the other day when I sold Final Fantasy 12 and used the credit on Trauma Center. I figure if I ever want to play it again it probably wont be heard to find or expensive because its a pretty big title.

EDIT:

I have Falcon 4.0 but it doesnt have any sort of binder:(

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ^I think you win.

If I were at home, I could show off my collection of oddities, which include a GP32, a jaguar CD, and a super grafx.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited February 2007
    ^I think you win.

If I were at home, I could show off my collection of oddities, which include a GP32, a jaguar CD, and a super grafx.

Owning a Jaguar CD qualifies one as a collector. I must admit I had a surprising amount of good times playing Myst and Dragon's Lair with friends.

Owning a Super Grafx demonstrates a lot of good taste and at least a little money. Playing the games demonstrates teh awesome.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Which begs the question, why isn't there a 'show off you collection' topic? Or are they frowned upon on this board?

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ^I think you win.

Owning a Jaguar CD qualifies one as a collector. I must admit I had a surprising amount of good times playing Myst and Dragon's Lair with friends.

Owning a Super Grafx demonstrates a lot of good taste and at least a little money. Playing the games demonstrates teh awesome.

You probably didn't read my post.

Those are oddities - I'm a collector to the bone.

Name a console between the 2600 and the Wii and odds are I'll have it. This includes hyper-expensive consoles like a MVS and 3DO, as well as total assbombs like the RZone.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    because we've had so many of them over the years? seriously, there usually is one. you can only get so impressed by the same collections so often

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    because we've had so many of them over the years? seriously, there usually is one. you can only get so impressed by the same collections so often

There's currently one. I posted some pictures of a new cabinet I bought a while back.

My collection lost a lot of umph when I moved. When I had it all in 1 room, it seemed massive, but since I've moved to austin, 3/4 is in houston and 1/4 is in austin, and the 3/4 in houston is now scattered around in boxes, thus making it really hard to take a good collection pic.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

There's currently one. I posted some pictures of a new cabinet I bought a while back.

My collection lost a lot of umph when I moved. When I had it all in 1 room, it seemed massive, but since I've moved to austin, 3/4 is in houston and 1/4 is in austin, and the 3/4 in houston is now scattered around in boxes, thus making it really hard to take a good collection pic.

People's collections always interest me. I'm a loon like that. Do you know the name of the current collection topic? I did a browse through the pages and didn't see it, but knowing these forums it's probably named something like "And the world was opened up... and behold..."

Spectral Swallow on