Options

I'm not a gamer, I'm a collector.

Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I just realized that. I go to game stores and buy games that I don't really see a whole lot of and never play them.
Heck I have an Atari Jaguar, a Cd-i, a neo geo pocket, and a Lynx. I have probably 20-30 gamecube games I will never play(killer 7, tales of symphonia, the resident evils(prior to 4)). And all because I thought 'Hey these may be rare some day'.

But I can't bring myself to sell them, anyone else ever have this problem?

Spectral Swallow on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've purchased quite a few old PC games that I don't even know if I can run on my computer, because I know they are games that you just have to own.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Totally. I've got a Gizmondo for crying out loud! I've been collecting games and systems for over fifteen years, and there are plenty of games in my collection which I've barely even touched. I bought Chulip last week and I still haven't popped it into my Playstation 2!

(Of course, the reviews it's been getting don't have me enthused about giving it a try...)

JR

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Hell no.

I think Ikaruga is the only game I've ever had the urge to keep forever. Unless it's an absolute positive classic, or the system is dead, I'll get rid of it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you can't sell them, then play them. My God man, that seems like a very unhealthy obsession. I can't fathom buying games not to play them!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just finished my collections of Fallout and Tex Murphy games. *shrug*

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    If you can't sell them, then play them. My God man, that seems like a very unhealthy obsession. I can't fathom buying games not to play them!

I buy a lot of games with the intention to play them. I just never get around to it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have plenty of games in shrink wrap.

But I play plenty of games too.

I'm both a gamer and a collector.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ...I will never play ... tales of symphonia
    You might wanna get around to that. It's pretty much 30+ hours of good times.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Most of my games I won't play are RPG's I just can't seem to stay focused on them anymore, the last one I even played through was Kingdom Hearts 2. I just can't seem to start a new story. Kinda sucks as I've heard good things about Vagrant Story and XenoGears.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yo. I play a lot of games, but even then I still am a bigger collector. I have several hundred games, well into the thousands range, and every major system from the 2600 to the Wii, including a jaguar, jaguar CD, CD-I, Neo Geo MVS, etc.

The only big one I'm missing is a pippin'. Beyond that, I have them all, not counting insane varients like the Hi-Navi Saturn.

But I do play games, however.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Most of my games I won't play are RPG's I just can't seem to stay focused on them anymore, the last one I even played through was Kingdom Hearts 2. I just can't seem to start a new story. Kinda sucks as I've heard good things about Vagrant Story and XenoGears.
    Trust me, you won't be playing Symphonia for the story. :V

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I collect games, and I play all of the ones I collect. Sometimes I don't play them to their "fullest" or beat them, but I probably beat 98 percent of my games.

I definitely feel as though I'm collecting them, and I certainly keep them (never sell/trade). My PS2 collection is enormous, and full of quality.

I also do things like this:

n64_cov.jpg

slash000 on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've found myself slowly verging towards "collector", but I still play every game I buy at least a little. I do really love owning stuff though. Something about just looking at Bit Generations boxes makes me just a little bit giddy.

bruin on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I never get rid of my games because if I ever get the urge to play it again it'll just piss me off. Few exceptions to that.

I unfortunately don't have the money to indulge myself in most games I want to collect.

JJ on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was kind of like this with my PS2, although I had every intention of playing these games to some degree...

I have maybe 15 titles or so I've never even really played.

Now I'm like that with my Wii/cube. Rushing to get every big Nintendo single player experience, ASAP. Part of me is afraid that some of these games may go out of print soon.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    No. I do not have this problem at all. I own a single game that I've never played, and it's because I got it as a gift from well meaning but kind of clueless parents.

I have the magical traits known as impulse control and crafty consumerism.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was like this for a while but thankfully saw the light again. I never want to become what I've seen. Guys with a wall three games thick of Genesis games that don't know what Gunstar Heroes is but own four copies of it. Guys that have the Tekken 5 Ultimate Edition because it's cool looking but have yet to take it out of the box because they don't play fighting games. Waste of time and it keeps the games out of the hands of people who would play them.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    linkswordlinksword Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I do both, but the worst I've done as far as not playing is having 2 copies of Wind Waker, one sealed still. I've also bought 2 copies of the collectors edition Twilight Princess thing with the soundtrack and master sword replica (they were on sale). I also kept Oracle of Ages sealed for about 5 years before I gave in and opened it (which looking back on was pretty dumb because a used copy would've been way cheaper).Zelda is pretty much the only series I've been into enough to do stuff like that with though.

I love collecting classic systems and stuff though. I have this awesome TV with an NES built in, and a Sega Pico, which no one else has ever heard of apparently. I wish I had the money to feed this hobby, but I've found some awesome deals. I've gotten a Dreamcast for 12 bucks, and a SNES for 18, both with everything included and really decent condition.

linksword on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    linksword wrote: »
    I have this awesome TV with an NES built in, and a Sega Pico, which no one else has ever heard of apparently.

Pics! Pics!

bruin on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A friend of mine collects RPGs, but is devoted to playing one at a time, so there's numerous classics that he owns that's he's never TOUCHED(like Dragon Force and the Lunars).

I've been trying to persuade him to get a moveon, but he's definitely more of a collector.

I kind of am too, but if I can't play what I'm collecting, what's the point? They're meant to be played. Who cares what they're worth.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Collecting is a big part of my gaming hobby, but I don't buy games unless they're something I think I'll enjoy playing. I collect Metal Gear games because I like the series, and I collect Zelda games because I like the series.

However, I'd buy Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge and the CD-i Zeldas for example, just because they're oddities within series I like.

I also can't sell anything. It is like selling a part of my soul.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I have this awesome TV with an NES built in, and a Sega Pico, which no one else has ever heard of apparently.

Pics! Pics!

Pics! Pics!

Pics! Pics!

My stuff is in storage right now, so these aren't actually of mine.
    sharpnintendotvassemblemn6.jpg
    Sharp NES TV

segapicofk2.jpg
    Sega Pico

linksword on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nes.. TV?!??!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Pics! Pics!

Pics! Pics!

Pics! Pics!

sharpnintendotvassemblemn6.jpgSharp NES TVsegapicofk2.jpgSega Pico

That TV is indeed awesome. I don't quite understand what the Pico is though.

Edit - even after reading the Wikipedia entry on it.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Pics! Pics!

Pics! Pics!

Pics! Pics!

sharpnintendotvassemblemn6.jpgSharp NES TVsegapicofk2.jpgSega Pico

That TV is indeed awesome. I don't quite understand what the Pico is though.

Basically a little kid's system, you turn the pages on the book and it changes where you are in the game, and the controller is basically those buttons and the stylus thing.

linksword on
  • Options
    VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am a healthy balance of both. I play every game I own, but rarely beat it. I own over 20 systems, and so many games that I don't actually HAVE count, but I have played them all. Just...All of them don't get a LOT of play.

I don't understand pure collectors. Jesus. Can't you just give me a copy of River City Ransom, Klonoa 1, Gunstar Heroes, and the NES Dragon Warriors? Those are frankly the only games I REALLY need, and I will actually play them.

Collectors are assholes.

VG-Robot on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    VG-Robot wrote: »
    I am a healthy balance of both. I play every game I own, but rarely beat it. I own over 20 systems, and so many games that I don't actually HAVE count, but I have played them all. Just...All of them don't get a LOT of play.

I don't understand pure collectors. Jesus. Can't you just give me a copy of River City Ransom, Klonoa 1, Gunstar Heroes, and the NES Dragon Warriors? Those are frankly the only games I REALLY need, and I will actually play them.

Collectors are assholes.

You know what's even worse? People who aren't gamers or collectors, and just have awesome gems sitting around their house, which will either get thrown out or forgotten about, and never make it to the hands of those that would actually get use out of them.

linksword on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I actually have two copies of Earthbound complete(box and strategy guide) but I can't bring myself to sell one.

Also two copies of Final Fantasy 3(of course now that VI advance is out, those prices have fallen faster than a pickle in a nest of shoes).

That's where my problem is, I collect games with the intent to sell, but can't bring myself to do it.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I actually have two copies of Earthbound complete(box and strategy guide) but I can't bring myself to sell one.

I'll give you $20.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    DO NOT SELL THAT TO ANYONE.

KEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I'll give you $20.

I would only sell it to a real gamer. Not you with your twisted ways! Unless you went up to like $21.00...

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've become quite a collector, but I don't have the past history collection. IE, I never saved my atari, nes, snes, stuff. So I'm really only a collector going forward, not even sure if I'll hang onto my PS2, but I'll hang onto the games. I view my games collection like owning a large library of books. The number of games I own that I haven't even played once has grown exponentially over the past few years because I've started buying games when I don't even have time to play them but just based on someones suggestion that it is unique, good or rare.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I knew this one guy who was a crazy collector, all his walls were lined with gaming swag.

One time I bought a Sega Nomad for $2 at a garage sale and then sold it to him a couple months later for $50

Etch on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm the anti collector, if I don't use it I get rid of it.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

I'll give you $20.

I would only sell it to a real gamer. Not you with your twisted ways! Unless you went up to like $21.00...

I have Ness tattoo'd onto my freakin arm. If you sell it, sell it to meeeeeeeeee!

Sheep on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Collecting is a big part of my gaming hobby, but I don't buy games unless they're something I think I'll enjoy playing. I collect Metal Gear games because I like the series, and I collect Zelda games because I like the series.

However, I'd buy Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge and the CD-i Zeldas for example, just because they're oddities within series I like.

I also can't sell anything. It is like selling a part of my soul.

I'm the same way. I'm a collector, but my collection isn't defined by rare title necessarily, but by titles that I like.

I game way less than I wish I did, considering the amount of money I put into it, but really it all gives me satisfaction so i absolutely don't count it as a problem.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i used to want to be a collector...

then i got honest with myself.....

if i'm never ever gonna play it again, why keep it. or like even if i wanted to play it again, i'd rather play new games.

Edit: I will say though, the 2 hardest trade ins ever for me were Shadow of the Colossus and MGS:twin snakes and MGS:Subsistence

Edit again: I feel like to me, that there is no value in collecting games. What i collect is the experiences from playing those games. yeah, there are a few games i like to come back to and play, but i dont hold onto them just to proudly display box art or anything.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i getr what you mean zephos but I like to hold on to experiences, always have. if I stopped liking games in general, I'd get rid of most if not all of them, but as long at it's my hobby...

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

I'll give you $20.

I have Ness tattoo'd onto my freakin arm. If you sell it, sell it to meeeeeeeeee!

I think we need proof of said Ness tattoo before the forums can okay this transaction.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I prefer the term "Games Enthusiast" - there are some games I jump on like a crack addict and there are games that I simply collect.

Edit: I have a factory-sealed copy of Chrono Trigger on the SNES

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX