Options

2012 desktop thread (nsf56k)

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man I want to use Enigma but it is sooo tinyyy

edit: okay a lot of the rainmeter stuff is way too small on a 1920x1080 monitor. Boo.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote:

I love simple media

any suggestions for a similar calendar skin?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:

If you load the options skin and go to format you can change the font size. I haven't figured out how to make the frames/boxes bigger, but I bumped up each font size to 11, 10, 9, 8 and everything is readable on my screen now.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Too lazy to find an easier way but if remember properly you load up enigma, righclick on one of the meters, go to edit skin and look for this bit of code:
    [MeterBlack]
    Meter=IMAGE
    X=0
    Y=2
    W=220
    H=63
    SolidColor=55, 55, 55, 120

mess around with W and H until its as big as you want

e: you can also change the color and transparency of it through this!

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    I changed the font size to something like 20 and it just broke everything. I will try this though, hopefully it works?! Simplemedia is my favorite so far for date/time, even though I have it sitting right there in my taskbar already, and I never see my desktop

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    What kind of look are you going for and what kind of meters do you want, I can look around for skins for you

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Too lazy to find an easier way but if remember properly you load up enigma, righclick on one of the meters, go to edit skin and look for this bit of code:
    [MeterBlack]
    Meter=IMAGE
    X=0
    Y=2
    W=220
    H=63
    SolidColor=55, 55, 55, 120

mess around with W and H until its as big as you want

e: you can also change the color and transparency of it through this!

Couldn't find that in either of the Enigma pieces I use.

• Options
    This is my desktop as it stands.
    A8xXh.jpg

I think I might be happy with this calendar, but will probably look around for another one, I would like a bigger RSS feed though. I can't bump the text up any bigger without text being cut off and thus unreadable.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Does that calendar synch with Google? Because that would be quite useful for me.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I reaallly doubt it does. There is probably one out there though.

edit: also the controls on that music player do not work. Fortunately win7 is awesome and I can just control it from the taskbar anyway

Artreus on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i never understood having a big rainmeter calender and time and date and all that when you still have the taskbar down there.

redundancy is evil

• Options
    Okaaay I was apparently using REALLY REALLY OLD Enigma, I messed around a bit and you can apparently change the size of the sidebar (which should fix the problem of fonts being too big) by going to options -> layout options and messing around. If the sidebar gets too big you can get rid of it through options too

• Options
    I JUST went over this.

Kind of.

But yeah I never really view my desktop.

It just looks pretty.

Also my keyboard displays time and date pretty effectively

• Options
    Artreus wrote:
    I reaallly doubt it does. There is probably one out there though.

edit: also the controls on that music player do not work. Fortunately win7 is awesome and I can just control it from the taskbar anyway

You have to edit it with the player name. Which player do you use? There's a list of player codes someplace. Right click the player and click edit skin and look for playername= or something similar.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote:
    i never understood having a big rainmeter calender and time and date and all that when you still have the taskbar down there.

redundancy is evil

cause it's pretty.

• Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

redundancy is evil

cause it's pretty.

yeah so turn off the taskbar and use a launcher so it's even prettier and you don't have the same thing on your screen like four times!

duh guys

duh

• Options
    My ObjectDock is pretty awesome because:

I turned my Start Menu button into an Empire logo with a red to black gradient that I made myself
    I turned my Chrome icon into R2D2
    I turned my My Computer icon into C3PO's head
    and I turned my Recycle Bin into the Death Star (when empty) and the Death Star firing (when full).

• Options
    I really wish the rainmeter skin config had colour editing options

• Options
    UGH I HAD TO UPDATE TO RAINMETER 2.0 FOR YOU PORKBAITS AND NOW MY WHOLE SETUP CHANGED UGH UGH UGH

• Options
    Mensch you did not have to go upgrading on our account :(

Also goose, enigma has an Options .ini thing that is super useful and easy to change everything.

It just is not worth the effort to get working for me. I do not need it at all.

I do not mind having dates and times in multiple places

• Options
    Skeith wrote:
    Art is this from the last level of Mirror's Edge?

I don't now if I ever answered this, but yeah it is. It is from the deadendthrills site I linked in that post

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    dIqnu.png

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    A skinner who puts SO MANY easy to configure color options in her work is bedroompop

the downside being that she's a serious form over function designer

• Options
    I want to put more things on my desktop. Like a twitter thing. Haven't found one of those yet. Also wanna find a way to control pandora via the music player.

I have 3 readers, my facebook notifications, date time, e-mail, system, a notes thing, weather, now playing, and a volume control. I also kept trying to get website launcher things to work (and edit them to sites I wanted) but could not figure that out.

• Options
    there used to be a cool website called www.yayfordesktops.com that was passed around by word of mouth and everyone used the same username but it appears to be gone

@Jaunty told me about it after I asked him about a rad desktop he posted where the image was a photo recreation of the apartment from Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    welp, that wasn't hard to find! not anymore at least. even got a giant version!

6udhG.jpg

the photo is by Jeff Walls

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Vann Diras wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

redundancy is evil

cause it's pretty.

yeah so turn off the taskbar and use a launcher so it's even prettier and you don't have the same thing on your screen like four times!

duh guys

duh

Yeah that's why I don't understand clock widgets on phones, either

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @Keith That's why I don't understand people wearing physical watches.

Legba on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Legba wrote:
    @Keith That's why I don't understand people wearing physical phones.

http://i.imgur.com/NZJvN.gif

• Options
    Legba wrote:

see that's different for me since a watch can be a pretty big accessory to your outfit

plus it's not like a computer or phone screen where there is two clocks right next to one another right in your face.

you don't get that kind of redundancy with a watch and a phone unless like... whenever you check the time you put your phone and your watch next to one another

• Options
    because it's time to grow up and look professional. that's why you stop checking the time on your phone and get yourself a watch

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote:
    Legba wrote:

see that's different for me since a watch can be a pretty big accessory to your outfit

plus it's not like a computer or phone screen where there is two clocks right next to one another right in your face.

you don't get that kind of redundancy with a watch and a phone unless like... whenever you check the time you put your phone and your watch next to one another

I carry a pocket watch and my phone. People ask why I carry the pocket watch when I have to pull it out and I already carry my phone everywhere with me.

Because it's rad as hell, motherfucker, that's why

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    As a professional whatshasyou, I've been rocking my tailored suits and shirts for years now without ever wearing a watch. I dislike the way they feel. No one has ever implied I was unprofessional for doing so.

Anyway, yeah, I totally get it as a fashion accessory. Watches are acceptable men's jewellery.

Except for that, though, it's a single-use gadget that is immediately redundant when you have a phone that is a clock, a calendar, an organiser and a million other things in one gadget.

S'just how I feel, man.

Legba on
  • Options
    It is totally acceptable for businessmen to use smart phones for lots of things these days

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I wear a digital watch because I still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Legba wrote: »
    Yup. I tried it out on a lark once and never looked back. It's just so much nicer.

I mean, 99% of what I do on my computer is reading, writing, doing layout design and web browsing, and for all of those, portrait style gives me more realestate and less scrolling.

The only time I wish I had a horizontal screen is when I want to watch a DVD or a YouTube video in fullscreen. Otherwise it's golden - I can even float VLC at the bottom of my screen and not have it get in the way of my work.

I keep one of mine portraited at work, the other horizontal, much nicer for reading any kind of tech documentation, pdfs, etc.

Also using the rainmeter skin to make it look like a magazine cover?

JEFqF.pngJEFqF.png

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    H6vLZ.jpg

huh, I have a random ass collection of desktop icons

• Options
  • Options
    Everybody needs to install Fences right now.

Also do that thing where you get rid of the arrow icon on shortcuts

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    That folder say DP?