Options

[Poké] Voltage: A No, No, No Sort Of Thing

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tullius and Timaeus
    [Calm 1/1][Praetor 2/3] and [Loyal 2/3][Samurai 3/3]
    Volt: 1 Exp: 1

Tullius stared dumbfounded at Timaeus. "I... did not know you could do that. Nice work, pal."

Timaeus responded with a salute.

Oshawott_Shell.png

Tullius chuckled. "Yeah, yeah, we all know you're adorable."

Suddenly, the Codex of Laws seemed to gain a mind of its own, tearing itself from Tullius's hands. The book flipped itself open, pages twirling and swishing.

"Oh, no," muttered Tullius. "Oh no, what now?" The book flew several meters into the air, continuing to flip about as if some invisible hand were searching for a specific page. "Oh, please don't do- argh!" Tullius grabbed his head in both hands, closing his eyes as a splitting headache spontaneously took hold. He cried out in pain, and Timaeus dashed to his side, willing but unable to help.

The Praetor fell to his knees as the pain overwhelmed him, and still the book spun. There was a slight pulling sensation felt by everyone, as though the Codex were trying to suck everyone into its pages. However, the faint remnants of the Skorupi's essence were the only thing affected. The book finally settled on a single page somewhere between tithe legislation and the taxing of imported products, and the scattered spirit coalesced onto the page in a simple image, moderately reminiscent of the Pokemon that it had captured.

SkorupiCodexImage.png

As soon as the image appeared, the book fell to the ground, released by the unseen hand. At the same time, Tullius opened his eyes, his headache completely gone. He gave several gasps of air, trying to catch his breath. Timaeus reached over to check the pulse on Tullius's wrist, pausing for several seconds before releasing him.

"I think I'm okay. Gotta say, that's not what I call pleasant. Wish I had, you know, any amount of control over that happening." It was evident to all around that this was not the first time this had happened, as a cursory examination of the Codex would reveal, on one of the early pages, a similarly stylistic image of an Oshawott, only greyed out rather than in color.

If you'd like, marsh, I can expend another voltage for the "purchase" of an apricorn device.

EDIT: You all see what I'm reduced to? I gotta make my own terrible MSPaint drawings to try and compete with you.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    If you'd like, marsh, I can expend another voltage for the "purchase" of an apricorn device.

Not necessary.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Holding pokemon in your law book is pretty cool Terrendos, I don't know if you've always been doing this and I just haven't been paying attention but have a Voltage anyway.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    [Malachite Forest]

Makai activates the Houndour's Apricorn, and the canine is rapidly drawn back into the device. Not before it gives the Ninja what looks an awful lot like a dirty look, though. Clearly things aren't totally hunky dory yet, but Makai's made a good start to taming the unruly Dark Type.

[4] Though it's debatable if knowledge of poisons is the same thing as a knowledge of antidotes, Makai realizes he needn't do much. Since the Scout is still standing, it can be inferred he probably hasn't been poisoned too badly. A cursory look at the somewhat ragged puncture in his side confirms the hypothesis, it's certainly not a very pretty looking wound, but it's more bruised than bloody, and more bloody than poisoned.

If he had any doubts, the Scout makes for a singularly bad patient, demanding he be allowed to put his shirt back down and hollering rather insistently that he's had worse while Makai performs his amateur doctoring. Someone so darn assertive about the fair state of their health will probably be just fine.

He also introduces himself as Allard and, with considerably more grace now that he's back on his feet, thanks the pair for their aid.

"Wasn't expecting to see Pokemon like that so close to the City, though I expect they'll know well enough to keep their distance after that lesson you gave 'em. So who's it I owe my hide to? The least I can do is spot you a drink or two for your trouble."

As Tullius' tome forcibly captures the spirit of the defeated Skorupi, he takes a step back, eyes wide and mouth set in a startled grimace. "That, uh, happen often to him, does it?" he whispers through his teeth at Makai as Timaeus tends to his Trainer.

Species: Skorupi
    Type: Bug/Poison
    Poison Sting (Poison/Ranged/Open)
    Fury Cutter (Bug/Offensive/Hazardous)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Elise & Zeal]

The stranger shrugs noncommittally at Elise's observation, his eyes flicking towards her acid-stained vambrace.

"You should get that looked at," he suggests dryly.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Elise & Zeal
    [Ambitious Aristocrat 3] - [Disciplined Dame 1] & [Exacting Executioner 0]
    Volt: 1; Exp: 0

Elise remains in her resting slouch for a few more seconds before pushing off the wall. "Indeed. Would you happen to know the shortest route to the temple infirmary from here?"

• Options
    Tullius and Timaeus
    Volt: 2 Exp: 1

"You were saved... by..." Tullius stood up with a great deal of effort. "The Universal Law. I am Praetor Tullius, and this..." he waved an arm at the Oshawott, "is Timaeus. No reward necessary, just doing the whole... uhh..." he paused, rubbing his head. "The hero thing. Or whatever."

A few seconds later, Tullius composed himself enough to walk over to the Codex of Law and pick it up off of the ground, slinging the strap around his shoulder. "As far as the spooky magic book is concerned, no, it's not a regular thing. It's a long story involving an unusually malicious Gastly and a naive student with some jerk friends. Suffice it to say, my book is magic and it can hold Pokemon. The toll it takes on me when it does that, however, is... unpleasant. Not to mention completely out of my control."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Okay, I guess Shock's computer is hells of in a bad place, so we'll just... keep things going. I suppose.

He can... catch up or whatever. On the plus side, I should probably be able to update quicker with less people. Also updating quicker should hopefully help me retain what few people I have left.

[Elise & Zeal]

The man thinks for a moment, then points a thumb over his shoulder to a second door, on the other side of the muddy pool. "Servant's quarters, there, I think. Should be hallways going everywhere from there," he turns his hand ninety degrees, thumb now pointing to his right. "Infirmary's south. Pretty close to the entrance. Can ask a monk when you spot one."

[Malachite Forest]

Allard shrugs, still a bit unnerved from the supernatural display. "Right on, then."

Speaking of the law book, Tullius recalls quite clearly that on-duty patrols are supposed to be performed in at least pairs, though trios and larger groups aren't uncommon if their responsibilities take them into Malachite Forest. Unless Allard somehow failed to mention a partner or group he'd gotten separated from, he might be contravening Malachite Military Law by being out here alone.

[Catarine & Mitsuhide]

The continuing exercise and exertion ought to be taking its toll on the exhausted Gallade, but as Catarine slowly tires with each feint and parry, Mitsuhide only becomes more energetic as their sparring continues, drinking in the focused, tense atmosphere and getting into what she recognizes as his 'groove'.

How many other Trainers exchanged blows with their Pokemon here, drilling themselves for the front-lines or preparing for missions they surely wouldn't return from? For how many people was this the last place they had a sense of safety and belonging?

Whatever the answer to that, Catarine and Mitsuhide's measured combat is interrupted by a knock at the entrance of the room. One of the Academy's few, but canny, servants awaits, a tray in one hand.

"Training's no good unfueled, brought you some drinks and fruit," she says, with slightly less decorum than Catarine is used to being treated with. Probably the young woman is used to serving students who don't particularly care about the shown level of deference when the deferrer in question is bringing them food.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Updated post with something for @Halos Nach Tariff. I'd feel bad making you wait for everyone else.

If, however, you are enjoying the break, feel free to ignore it.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Tullius and Timaeus

Tullius gasped. Such a flagrant violation! Surely he must have known there would be consequences! He forced himself to remain calm. There was a process. First, he had to elicit a confession.

This might be his first big break! The Case of the Lonely Scout, perhaps they'd call it. And it would be him, standing atop the pedestal, administering the justice of the land upon the guilty.

The Law is the one final hope for reviving this dead society, and the Praetors are the brave soldiers of Arceus in this righteous crusade. They are the defenders of the light of truth, freedom, and unity. They are the bold defenders of those unfathomably perfect ideals set forth by the predecessors, the perfect fairness of universality, speaking their message to the weak and the downtrodden, their solemn vow: "We are all one."

Liberty. Reason. Justice. Truth. Equality. Accountability. LAW.

God does Tullius love the law.

Tullius pretended to take a look around. "So Allard, where's your partner?" he asks with every ounce of nonchalance he can possibly muster. "We'd better make sure he's okay too."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    [Malachite Forest]

[5] His target does not suspect a thing. He is the diplomancer, the diplomaster, and obviously the diplomest, or at least he would be any of those things if his grammar was not utterly impeccable at all times.

"Probably at home with his kids. He isn't keen like I am, so I learned to leave him alone on off-hours," he raps his bandaged side with a grimace. "Maybe he's the smart one, huh?"

Off hours? Off hours!? This man isn't even on duty! That... that... that's not technically illegal, in and of itself.

...Though he is probably on the wrong side of several reckless endangerment and possibly even trespassing ordinances! But if those still count then Makai and Tullius are equally, technically liable... it's suddenly become a very tricky legal quagmire.

Tullius supposes he could almost certainly use his position as a Praetor in good standing to get off the hook by giving himself a mere, stern warning. Discretion is one of the cornerstones of law, after all.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Makai & Iktomi
    [Perceptive 1/2][Ninja 3/3] & [Swift 1/2][Trickster 3/3]
    Houndour: [Fierce 2/2][?????? 1/1]

Makai finds the Tulluis' thing with the book fascinating. However since the only thing he can think to say are variations of 'Not judging a book by it's cover' he just kind of stands dumbfounded until The Praetor questions Allard.

"If you're here on off hours, what's your reason? Just felt like getting all decked out in your scout wear, and poking some pokes? You don't strike me as that foolhardy."

• Options
    Elise & Zeal

"I should be able to find my way soon enough. Thank you." She smiles faintly and gingerly maneuvers around the muddy pool, at last opening the door on the other side. Once she's across the threshold, about to close the door, she turns her head around.

"By the way, would you happen to be a traveler? You don't look like any of the trainers I know from here."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    [Malachite Forest]

"Foolhardy? Foolhardy? I practically own this Forest!" Realizing how silly this sounds considering his injured state and recent need of saving, he amends it. "Most of the time. Everyone has their off days. Worst case scenario, I probably could've ran away. Only reason I got hurt is 'cause..." he stops and frowns. "Because. Who cares. I'm going home."

[Elise & Zeal]

"Lived here my whole life," he answers, his face completely blank.

[6] That's about as good as if he'd said he came from the moon, really. Someone's taught this guy about tells but neglected to teach him about keeping natural when avoiding them. It tells Elise, who has navigated the complicated ways of noble speechcraft and negotiation her whole life, one thing: 'amateur'.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Tullius and Timaeus

Curses! Foiled again by the likes of plausible deniability! Tullius once again kept his emotions under a tight leash, lest his target grow suspicious. "Well, you're certainly one of the hardier fools I've met," he agreed by way of a jest.

"Why did you get hurt? There shouldn't be that kind of beast anywhere near Malachite to begin with," Tullius wondered aloud. "You didn't do anything to bring it here, did you?"

• Options
    [Malachite Forest]

"Feh, cooped up in that Academy of yours, you'd be surprised what wanders out of the wilds some days," Allard says, calming down a bit. "I meant it when I said I've seen and felt worse, there's places in this forest wounded so bad you can see the earth itself a bleedin'."

"I don't go out that far on my lonesome, of course. We ever find such a place on patrol you can bet we take a smart turnabout and go back the way we came. Heat's enough to make a man drown in his own sweat if'n it didn't get steamed right off you like water in a frying pan."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Elise & Zeal

Elise looks over the man one more time, feigning an attempt to put a face to a name while committing the man's build, face, and prominent hooked nose to memory. "An older academy graduate?" she says to herself loud enough to be overheard, before speaking up.

"Well, I don't believe we've met before. How should I address you in the future, sir?" she adds politely, her right hand still poised to slam the door shut at a moment's notice.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    [Elise & Zeal]

"Yuichiro."

This is just embarassing now, he's not even trying.

• Options
    Bored.
    Elise.png

• Options
    Her armor is dyed corbeau.

I mean, god.
    yay art

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I'll take that bait, sorry I haven't replied earlier, checked the thread on my DS this afternoon and typing on that is a pain...

Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 2] - [Protector 3]
    Volt: 2; Exp: 0

Exchanging blows at a ferocious rate Catarine soon finds her body beginning to tire, so different from the structured, aproximated combat of a formal duel. The Blade pokémons anatomy, with cutting edges at elbow and forearm, makes traditional fencing an impossibility but he is a consumate attacker regardless striking with a rapid mix of kicks and arm strikes. Perfect training for battle against an opponent of murderous intent Catarine decides, hooking the parrying dagger from her belt in order to better practice it's useage, although with every countered thrust Mitsuhide only becomes more agile, exploiting blind spots and switching techniques, trying to make his mistress spot the weaknesses in her defenses.

Mitsuhide smiles as the combat grows more intense, the heart of battle is his home, each ringing impact heartening his spirit. He'd fought the pokémon in his forest, and when the people came from across the seas with their weapons he'd fought them too. Sometimes he won and sometimes he lost but the fighting was all that mattered, it was only once the soldiers had finished in their bloody wars that they'd come into the forest in peace. Of course he had tried to fight them then too but they calmed him with their words and their prayers and in time he came to respect, and even admire, the respect these creatures could show to one another. Even in combat there could be honor, and it would always be better to protect another than to quarrel for ones own sake.

A knock at the chamber entrance halted the sparring, the two combatants offered a quick bow to one another, all the fierce emotion left hanging from the duel dispersed in that simple motion. A servant of some kind entered, offering refreshments. Catarine nods her thanks, panting heavily and massaging the sore muscles of her sword arm. 'I would, however, request that you refer to me as 'My Lady' in future,' Catarine responds after she has caught her breath, grateful for the food, and the respite, but still it does not do to let the staff start getting ideas above their station.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Bhutso & Mara
    [Boisterous 3] - [Exotic Weaponeer 2] & [Skirmisher 4] - [Careless 1]

Having garnered every bit of useful information he could, Bhutso (who is still totally in this game) closes the dusty tome, careful not to sever the weathered binding. Steam is still rising from his cup as he finishes the last of the tea, setting it neatly back beside the kettle provided. "You have my thanks" he says kindly, leaving the book for the cold librarian to file back away. "It should prove useful to ensure this lovely room of yours" his forehead droops, "doesn't go up in flames." His smile returns. "And the tea was lovely" he adds, gliding out the door.

It's a short trip across the courtyard back to the academy. Distant crashes of sparring become more and more evident as he approaches the mail hall, their source no doubt from the many aft rooms. The halls wind and twist, an empty labyrinth filled with pockets of life. Might be Bossan is in the sick bay, he thinks, but he'd passed enough time in library to surmise he'd be back in his office quarters. He raps on the door once before entering.

• Options
    Makai & Iktomi

"You know, I've been wondering. Why hasn't the Academy investigated this? If whatever is causing these fires wanders out of the forest, there could be a dire consequences."

• Options
    Tullius and Timaeus

"I suspect," Tullius conjectured, "that the ones that tried to investigate probably got killed by the things. Then again, I haven't been here all that long, so this is purely hypothetical." With a finally cleared head, he turned to Allard. "Regardless, you should be getting back. I know you don't want to see a doctor, so I won't force you, but you really should get that checked out. Drapion venom can be extremely virulent, depending on the dosage."

Perhaps, on their way out of town, he might encourage his group to investigate one of these bizarre... wounds. Might be interesting... or terrifying. But at least with more people, it'd be more safe. He hoped.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Elise & Zeal

Elise can't even muster the politeness to give her own name in response to such a poorly executed bluff.

"Nice to meet you, Yuichiro." she states, nodding as she closes the door.

After rounding a nearby corner she breathes a sigh of relief at her more or less guaranteed safety. Then her expression darkens, her gray eyes taking on a stormy quality. Someone, likely a spy, that out of place was able to stay in Malachite for some time, judging by his basic knowledge of the temple... with merely the paper thin disguise of a scout's clothes? Measures would be taken, but no use in rushing; if that man has any sense he's already fled the room with the pool.

Elise strides infirmary-wards. Perhaps the monks have more clues relating to this stranger?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 3] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 2] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]
    Volt: 0 Exp: 1

"What the hell?" Tanaka strides to the fallen Weepy Guy, waving the other ghosts away as he does so.

"The fuck do you guys think you're doing? Weeps ain't done anything to you!"

• Options
    Catarine & Mitsuhide

"Yes," a nearly imperceptible hesitation, "my lady." Hands folded in front of her apron, the girl waits to be dismissed.

The food she brought seems to be standard snack fare for this part of the region, strips of raw vegetables, small ovals of crunchy, cracker-like bread, and thin slices of aged meat, alongside some fresh fruit and iced water. The ready availability of produce is something Catarine is likely still getting used to, Grass-Type assisted farming and orcharding being something very nearly unique to Malachite.

Bhutso & Mara

The Monk pushes into the cluttered office, revealing an exhausted looking Bossan seated at his sturdy desk. Books and scrolls are strewn across every level surface, competing with vacated shells, bones, samples of rock and dirt, and many other dried, preserved, or bottled examples of a working professor's interest in the natural world.

Near an open window, a tiny, adolescent Pidgey hops nervously on a wooden perch, its head twitching back and forth so each eye can get a good look at Bhutso.

Turning his chair to face the newcomer, Bossan gives Bhutso a friendly nod. "Hey there, what can I do for you?"

Malachite Forest

"Nobody killed that I know of, but when someone disappears they disappear. Hard to say who got lost, who got taken, and who wandered too close to something they oughtn't have. This isn't a very friendly forest once you get more than a half-day's travel into it." He claps his hands together as though ridding them of dirt.

"Regardless, I got a nice long walk ahead of me. If you two are staying then do me a favor and be careful. I'd hate to have the favor I owe you go unpaid. Bad luck, that is."

If Tullius and Makai haven't any other business with him, he shoulders his weapon and takes off back towards town at a respectable speed despite his recent injury.

Elise & Zeal

The passageway beyond is, to Elise's probable annoyance, exactly as the stranger described, and it only takes her a few short minutes of walking to find herself back within a familiar portion of the temple.

Upon entry to the fresh-aired, floral-smelling Infirmary, an awaiting Monk takes note of her footsteps clacking on the clean tile floor. Once she spots her, her gaze falls to her gingerly held arm and her face goes white with alarm.

"My lady, you are hurt. Please, this way," the young monk says gesturing to the hallway behind her with an urgency that doesn't seem to quite match Elise's perceived severity of the wound on her arm.

Tanaka & Gigen

The trio seem to find Tanaka's nickname for the Yamask hilarious, announcing their amusement with echoing guffaws as they effortlessly dodge the monk's sweeping arms and seep back into the shadows from whence they came.

"Weepy" takes little notice of Tanaka's intervention, recovering his dropped mask and cradling it carefully in his arms. The emotional Ghost trembles over his prized possesion and begins to mournfully moan as the sound of cracking bone and scattered leavings filters through the darkness, where two of the mean-spirited spirits have knocked over one of the sitting corpses, smashing fragile bits of the long-dead human remains.

The third, the Shuppet, has apparently noticed Gigen, and has started making a series of mock charges at the Sableye, apparently expecting a similar reaction from him as the Yamask, given the unkind glint in the Shuppet's glowing eyes and the waggling of its impudent tongue.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Bhutso & Mara
    [Boisterous 3] - [Exotic Weaponeer 2] & [Skirmisher 4] - [Careless 1]

"Sir," he says, courteously, "I hope you weren't terribly hurt in the fight earlier." He looks about the room for a moment, opting to lean against a nearby cabinet as all the chairs and stools seem to be occupied by papers. "I came to speak of what's to be done about that incident. Has there been any discussion regarding it? You were there; surely it seemed too large, too aggressive to simply be a scouting or raiding party?"

"More frankly, I'm concerned about the lion's share of the graduates departing north when another attack might be on its way from the west."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Elise & Zeal

The noble nods. "Yes, let's get this wound treated." Elise says briskly. It doesn't sound like she'd take well to being told to rest for any period of time.

"Some kind of acid burn." she explains. "Never seen an oddish quite like that one before, was a bit of a shock to find something like that in the gardens."

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 2] - [Protector 3]

'Regardless I thank you for your hospitality,' says Catarine, gesturing to the platter of refreshments, making a subtle gesture for Mitsuhide to check for any poisons or contaminants, grateful but not enough to take food from a stranger with no precaution. 'I think we are done with our training here for now if you need to clean or similar, do tell your masters I am impressed with the available facilities.

Having finished checking the food Mitsuhide offers the plate to Catarine who takes a sip of refreshing water and a selection of fresh berries, rather surprised by the wide array of produce, so different from her home where on more than one occassion a poor harvest has almost spelled disaster for the population.

• Options
    Tullius and Timaeus

Tullius slung the strap on his book back over his shoulder and nudged Makai. "Yeah, it's probably about time we got back, too." As he and Timaeus walked back towards the town, he held up a finger. "Oh, if you still need a name for that Houndour... my people often make mention of a dog by the name of Cerberus, who guards the gates to Arceus. Alternately, I recall hearing stories of a great wolf by the name of Fenrir."

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 3] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 2] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]
    Volt: 0 Exp: 1

Tanaka fixes Shock and Barrel with a look. The disappointed father. Potent, but only when your subject gives a damn. His subjects don't give a damn. He kneels next to the Yamask, concern overriding judgment.

"You alright, man? Want a snack?" He says, stealing a better look at the Yamask's, uh, mask.

Gigen stares at the Shuppet, mouth open and eyes shining. Just need to be patient. Soon it will get too close and when it does...

He licks his teeth.

Shock G on
  • Options
    Makai & Iktomi

Makia agrees it's probably best to head back. Iktomi is riding on his back like big backpack, causing Makai to lean forward and walk with a bit of slouch.

The boy ninja tilts his head at the suggestions, thinking them over. "Cerberus. Fenrir. CerBERus. FenrIR. Hmmm. I like them both...but I think I like Fenrir more. Yea. I think I'm gonna try Fenrir and see what he thinks."

• Options
    Tullius and Timaeus

Several hours later, with a hot meal in his stomach, Tullius heads over to the training area of the Academy. With Timaeus at the ready, and with essentially no real plan for what the heck he's doing, Tullius flips open the Codex of Laws to the image of the Skorupi, and presses his palm flat on the picture. With a blinding flash of light and a thrill of pain across his skull, the captured Pokemon appeared in front of them.

Tullius instantly closed the book again, holding it in front of him like a shield between the sharp pincers, poisonous tail, and his own weak flesh. "Hello, Mr. Skorupi! Today, we're going to talk about the nature of right and wrong!" Timaeus polishes his scalchop threateningly, almost daring the creature to strike at either of them.

• Options
    Looks like downtime is finally wrapping up. Pretty happy with how things are going so far.

~Bhutso & Mara~

Bossan leans back in his chair. "I gave a report to Lord Corbeau just a couple hours ago, I understand he's having a meeting with the rest of the nobles tonight to discuss a response."

"The size isn't really a concern, honestly. Malachite could easily weather a force dozens of times the size of the one we fought if they came at us head on. We just had the bad luck to be isolated and headstrong enough to try taking them on in a fair fight."

"I think what the nobles are going to worry about is this is some sort of misunderstanding. I thought they seemed pretty savage but in the middle of a pitched fight while someone's trying to swat you out of the air you aren't exactly in the best position to make friends."

"Then there's the question of that girl and her kid. She's not from here, and certainly not from Slate Town. It seemed like the invaders were chasing her, as far as I could tell at the time. If she led them here from the wastes, or worse, she's some sort of criminal fleeing whatever passes for law out West... You can see it's tricky."

He chuckles. "I appreciate your concern for the well-being of the city, but frankly a half dozen freshly graduated Pokemon Trainers is... Well, I think we can handle ourselves without." He leans forward and rests his chin on a palm. "Going out in a small group when there might be violent raiding bands gallivanting about is another story. The graduates handled themselves well enough, though from the sound of things I need to talk to that other Monk about his Ghost Type again, but if you get caught by a dozen, two dozen, three dozen enemy combatants, your experience and Pokemon won't count for much. So, if you don't feel safe venturing out it's perfectly okay to remain in Malachite and further your training until this thing calms down and we know a bit more about what's going on."

~Elise & Zeal~

The monk leads Elise to one of the infirmary rooms, where a small stream of crystal clear water runs along a groove set into the wall at waist height, gurgling cheerily. Donning a pair of thick gloves, she cuts away the remains of the twisted leather strap, and deposits the acid-eaten armguard into the water. Gently forcing Elise to take a seat, she listens to the noble's explanation of the circumstances surrounding the wound as she carefully inspects the pink, blistered skin on Elise's arm. At one point she seems to be about to say something but thinks better of it.

Dragging another chair over to the wall, upstream of the submerged gauntlet, she instructs Elise to place her arm beneath the flowing water. "Keep it under for at least 15 minutes to flush away any remaining residue. I will go prepare a poultice, and fetch you some gauze for a bandage and something for the pain." With a curtsey, she hastily exits the room, leaving Elise alone.

About ten minutes later, the monk returns with a small bundle. She places the white cloth package on the examination table and turns to face Elise. The girl slowly drops down to her knees, then bows forward until her forehead bumps against the tile.

"Please do not be upset with the creature who did this. It didn't mean to harm you, and did not fully understand what it was doing. The Temple is not... well-equipped to handle Pokemon of the Oddish's Typing. We were remiss in our training of it, and the blame for your injury lies with us for our negligence. We are sorry."

~Malachite Forest~

The two make their way back to Malachite City with no problems, and Tullius promptly ditches Makai. Or does he?

Tullius recieves a Bonus Exp!
    Makai recieves Two bonus Exp!

~Catarine & Mitsuhide~

The servant curtsies and turns to leave as Catarine and her Gallade enjoy the food. It's likely they'll have ample time to finish before someone shows to begin tidying up.

Catarine recieves a Bonus Exp!

~Tanaka & Gigen~

The Yamask keeps up his usual sibilant blubbering, completely ignoring Tanaka's ham-handed attempts to make friendly-like with it.

Realizing this isn't really going anywhere, he tries to get a look at the mask the Yamask is clutching. It seems to be a pretty amateur bit of stonework, but very nicely smoothed and polished despite that. The object depicts a normal man's face, late teens or early twenties in age, a prominent nose, thin lips, and open, blank eyes set in a too-thin face. Further detail is difficult to pick out due to the Yamask's body getting in the way and the sharp edges of the unprofessional carving job.

[1] The Shuppet, inevitably, strays too close to the biding Sableye. A claw snaps out and snatches a scrap of the taunting Ghost's body, tearing it with a sound like ripping cloth as Gigen pulls the Shuppet in close.

The shriek of the stricken Pokemon immediately grabs Tanaka's attention, and he turns to see a smug Gigen flicking bits of rapidly disappearing cloth from his hands. Noticing his master's gaze, the Sableye grins and spits out a ball of what looks like plush animal stuffing

Voltage3.gifVoltage Spent!

The shredded remains of the re-departed Shuppet begin to glow, faintly, a light purple spreading along the edges of each piece of cloth and puff of fluff. Gigen's smile is replaced with an expression of confusion as he notices a few pieces of the purple cloth stuck to one of his claws. His expression gets steadily more unnerved as shaking his arm fails to dislodge the clinging strips, and then worse as he tries to use his other claw to tear them off to no effect. The purple, limning light bleeds out from the fabric, flowing over Gigen's body and bathing it in the same deleterious hue.

As Gigen gives Tanaka a final panicked, desperate look, the Bond takes effect, stripping the Ghost's animating spirit away like flash paper in fire. Gigen collapses backwards into a seated position, then falls forward as his body begins to rapidly burn up in the aftermath.

Shuppet Fainted!
    Gigen Fainted!

The other two Ghost Types look on, stunned, as the two dissipate, their skeletal corpse-toy forgotten. Turning as one to look at Tanaka, their eyes narrow and they begin to slowly approach, back-lit by the spiritual conflagration behind them and with a vengeful look in their demeanor.

The whole mess seems to have finally gotten through the Yamask's self-absorbed mourning, and the tormented creature looks up from his mask with probably the closest thing to serenity the Pokemon has shown since the cave was opened.

Tullius & Timaeus & Skorupi

The Skorupi shakes its tail and claws experimentally, still looking weakened and poorly from its recent capture. Low-lidded eyes take in the scene proposed by the Praetor and his loyal Oshawott.

The Scorpion Pokemon sags, a gloomy, defeatist attitude apparent in its behavior.

Demeanor: Somber

• Options
    Tullius and Timaeus
    Volt: 2 Exp: 2

Tullius was caught off guard by the Skorupi's attitude. He had heard horror stories of freshly caught Pokemon murdering their new masters, or striking out with the desperation of a wounded animal. It hadn't occurred to him that those might be the exception.

He lowered his book, set it on the ground, and took a seat on top of it. He faced the Skorupi and addressed him thus: "There, there. You fought well, you have nothing to be sad about. Matter of fact, I figured that perhaps we could work together." He gave Timaeus the "at ease" signal, and the Oshawott sat down beside them. "I'm in the business of bringing peace to this world, for everyone. People call me a Praetor, but really what that means is I'm a peacemaker."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    oh man oh man now I want a Shuppet.
    But Neotoma You just got a Pokemon
    I don't care shuppets are cool

I first had this idea of Makai just getting bug types, because hey that's a pretty good theme for a ninja i guess and bugs are cool. Then I remembered how cool little fire breathing rottweilers are and welp there goes that plan. Basically what I'm saying here is I'm gonna spend all my points on pokeballs. Gonna get like a dozen pokemon with 2 moves.

Makai & Iktomi
    Volt: 1; Exp: 2

Makai goes to his quarters. "Ok Iktomi. Nap time." She disappears into her apricorn. Makai lazily throws it into a hammock of webbing in the corner. The strands pulse with slight electrical energy, recharging the sleeping Galvantula. He puts Fenrir's apricorn over a a candle, hoping that's sufficient until he can figure out a more permanent solution. His companions attended to, he finanly collapses facefirst into his bed.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Pretty sure Banette has struck down Rotom as my most favorite Pokemon sometime in the last year or so.

It was looking like it could go either way for a while, but the last thing I want a Pokemon to be able to do is possess my computer. That's where I keep my things.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    ~Tullius & Timaeus & Skorupi~

The Pokemon skitters as it makes a complicated turn with its many legs before settling down at an angle suitable for giving a Tullius an askance look, which it does.

[3] The lengthy movement gives Tullius ample time to check out the physical appearance of his capture in better detail than he was able to during the hectic but short-lived battle. The two-toned purple Pokemon greatly resembles a regular scorpion, albeit much larger, the twin tips of its tail nearly reaching knee height on him. Its carapace appears to be rather dull in color for a Poison Type, he thinks, and the shell shows signs of wear and scuffing that don't seem to be related to any battle unless the thing has lost several very strange fights with some sort of sandpaper monster. On an unrelated note, Tullius realizes he has no idea whether the Skorupi is male or female, or even if that would matter, considering.

Throughout the visual inspection, the Skorupi seems completely content to wait until Tullius takes up his speech again, though his initial reassurance didn't seem to make much of a dent in its dour mood. It's certainly quite patient, if not very energetic. Perhaps he's overthinking things, but what could possibly interest a Pokemon besides the chance to serve as a champion of justice?

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tullius and Timaeus
    Volt: 2 Exp: 2

Tullius gave his head a thoughtful scratch. "Well uhh... hmph." Tullius was pretty well stumped. The only time he'd done this before was Timaeus, of course, and his natural inclination towards fairness and decency gave him a common ground.

Tullius slumped forward. "I can't promise you greatness, as people like me tend to toil in obscurity. I guess the best I can offer you is this: if you're on my team, you're part of my family. That means we stick together, we watch out for each other, and we succeed or fail as a team. Whenever I get a warm bed or a hot meal, you'll get the same."

It occurred to Timaeus that Tullius may be underselling himself a bit, particularly in terms of the food and shelter that a wild Pokemon might find particularly appealing. He elucidates that the hot meals and warm beds are the norm, rather than the exception.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Elise & Zeal

"How so?" Elise responds to all of the monk's statements, leaning forward ever so slightly in interest to encourage the monk to continue.

It occurs to Elise that the monk's response may be due to her sour demeanor from the other incident, but she says nothing of the matter for the time being. That matter would have to be brought up subtly.