As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    WadeWilson wrote: »
    Has anyone turned off all quest and compass markers and played only with clairvoiance? I think I'm going to give it a go.

That is a damned fine idea...

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Though not the insanely gratuitous Gears of War-levels of violence, mind you.

I think that'll still be there.

EDIT: @Dashui, switching to the dll from 1.02 did in fact stop the crashes. Do you know if I will be missing anything from the later versions if I use the same pack ("Zoner") and going back to Wrapper, rather than Injector? 1.08 seemed to make mention of adding to HDR also.

I think 108 is an experimental version, which is why you don't see it used much with other ENB mods. It has performance improvements, but not support for various adjustments and settings anymore.

Very informative, thank you. I noticed that 108 adds SSAO, which I'm not even that certain I miss.

102 isn't incredibly stable, but it's good enough (neither is Skyrim to be fair). ENBseries has come a long way since RE4.

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hm, I accidentally raised my carry weight to 800 in the console. How can I bring it back down?

[edit] Figured it out. player.modav carryweight [-number]. In may case, it was around -450.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm trying to decide on a 'perfect' build. Something that gets to experience all of the game without being spread so thin that he's weak.
    I'm also considering playing with a hood instead of a helmet and no shield. For style.

I'm wondering if you guys think I won't have enough armor without the helmet and shield, wearing light, or if smithing and playing on normal will save me.
    Are destruction and restoration viable if you only use the adept level spells?

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#116941

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    Hey Dashui--I might as well ask, but is there any way to disable the messages that ENBSeries puts up when it loads?

I can understand why Boris wouldn't want people doing that, but I might as well ask. I'm not passing it off as my own creation, of course.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey Dashui--I might as well ask, but is there any way to disable the messages that ENBSeries puts up when it loads?

I can understand why Boris wouldn't want people doing that, but I might as well ask. I'm not passing it off as my own creation, of course.

I don't believe so.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Stigma wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide on a 'perfect' build. Something that gets to experience all of the game without being spread so thin that he's weak.
    I'm also considering playing with a hood instead of a helmet and no shield. For style.

I'm wondering if you guys think I won't have enough armor without the helmet and shield, wearing light, or if smithing and playing on normal will save me.
    Are destruction and restoration viable if you only use the adept level spells?

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#116941

Honestly, if you pump smithing up high enough and/or take armor perks and/or go crazy with enchanting/alchemy, you shouldn't have a worry about getting light armor to hit the armor rating threshold. With ridiculous enchanting/smithing/alchemy, you could easily just wear one piece of light armor well beyond the armor rating cap, and then just wear robes or whatever else you wish. If you're willing to grind out the levels for those disciplines early, you could probably skip most of the +light armor perks and put them somewhere else. Might be hurting early on though, until you build up your crafting.

(Unless things have changed lately, I haven't played on the latest patch yet)

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    from what i can reason, the actual ends of having ridiculous items due to crafting skill skill positive feedback loops is the same

It's now just harder to grind out smithing?

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    It seems to me iron daggers and leather bracers are still the best leveling tool just because they're the most commonly available, it's just slower than it used to be. Though I do transmute my iron ores to make jewelry with now.

• Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Playing this game and listening to Neurosis is a weird experience. That is all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, I'll end up wearing the thieves guild helmet, a dragon mask, or nightingale. That should get me more armor and the first 25% boost.
    I don't think I'll get the matching set perk.

I'm thinking this guy may struggle a little bit mid teens to late twenties, but if, like you said, I grind a bunch on smithing and easier combat I should come out overpowered in the end. The hard part will be keeping light armor, one handed, destruction, restoration, backstab and smithing all going up fairly evenly. I could obviously get away with no destruction magic but he's going to be leader of the mages guild right?

I bet I can lean more on increasing my health early than stamina or magicka. Keep me from dying early.
    In the end though I'm considering ending up with a more 500/500/500 setup for stats.

I'm going to start this character now...
    A lanky nord who'll fight for Ulfric (played so much skyrim and haven't finished the war with any character ! )

Notes to self: Smith alot, keep my armor skill high and health. DEFENSE

• Options
    Or a dark elf who probably fights for the empire!

I can't decide anything!

• Options
    Dashui wrote: »

I don't believe so.

Bummer. Never hurts to ask.

I don't really like what ENB does for lightning (that can be reproduced through other mods), but the color effects are appreciated.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Destruction magic gets pretty crappy as the game goes on, even if you do level it up and get the perks... up until you get the stagger ability of course, at which point it becomes pretty OP. If you're playing on PC there are mods to make it better, but I think you'll find in a hybrid build that your Destruction magic will soon be all but worthless and you'll be forced to swing your weapon like crazy, and possibly dying because you can't parry while dual-wielding.

Better solution might be to go with a one-handed weapon and focus on other magics, such as conjuration or restoration. Since you're a backstabby character, Illusion is also a very good choice. I personally also like the style of fighting only with a one-hander, but found it a bit awkward trying to un-equip the magic from my left hand when I needed some parrying action. A shield makes a good choice here, since it can be brought up with a simple hotkey. Of course, if you're playing on a console I'm not sure if any of this matters, since I don't know if they even have hotkeys and such.

My personal favorite character has been one who relies on absolutely no weapons and only light armor for style (no perks). I made a conjurer who basically summons his own bow/sword and fights that way, stealthily picking off enemies before they know he's about. It came to a point recently where he maxed out conjuring, though, and since he can summon two Storm Atronochs or Dremora, there really isn't any stopping him. Conjuring is pretty OP. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Using magic to bolster other combat styles does work very well, especially conjuration and archery.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    My new character is basically a magic assassin with a little bit of everything - destruction, illusion, archery, sneak, light armor, one-handed are the skills I'm mainly focusing on - which isn't entirely ideal but I'm using the Balanced Magic and Dragon Souls for Perks mods to keep myself from being too squishy. It's actually a lot more fun than my pure warrior ever was.

Dashui on
  • Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    Ok, so last night in my 30 minutes of free time, I rolled up my argonian, "Walks-in-Shade", for my no quest/compass markers playthrough. Probably going with a primarily sneaky guy, but dabbling in other arts (illusion conjuration smithing) as aplicable. And I'm pretty sure my lizardman is going to slitting the throat of a lot of elves.

• Options
    I had no intention of doing blacksmithing for my Skyrim playthrough, but the inability to pay people to upgrade your cool shit was really harming me in the long run.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Okay.
    I've decided on a Dark Elf. It rationalizes with the skillset very well.

I'm going to start playing, I hope deleting my old saves resets the counter to 1.
    Someone who's good at the game (that's probably all of you), take a look at this level 55 version of the character and let me know if you think he'll be too weak.

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#117079

Playing with the creator, it fleshes out really nicely from there.

Does anyone claim that persuade is an awesome perk to have?
    Edit: NM, I think being Dunmer is good enough reason to not have persuade.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Here's an esoteric elder scrolls query.

Do you find it best to take every quest possible, collect a big list and then get to them when you're in the neighborhood or do you like to keep it minimalist and do every quest almost as it's received and keep the narrative tight and easy to follow?

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Do you find it best to take every quest possible, collect a big list and then get to them when you're in the neighborhood or do you like to keep it minimalist and do every quest almost as it's received and keep the narrative tight and easy to follow?
    In Morrowind, it was best to limit how many quests you took at any given time, but only because the journal was so bad.

In Oblivion, you could roll either way. I think most people still strayed closer to keeping focus on one quest at a time, but only because there was little content of value in that game outside the guild questlines.

In Skyrim? Your quest log will not be tidy. There are quest triggers everywhere, and large swaths of them are ambient and trigger by simply walking into an area or near an NPC. Plus, most quests will require you to travel across the map, to areas where you're likely to find even more ambient quest triggers. Even if you're doing your damnedest to avoid those until you complete other stuff, Radiant Story is going to go "Hey, that guy hasn't picked up a quest in a while!" and then a courier is going to show up and hand you one.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Yeah, that gets a little annoying.

"Hey <your name here>, you caused quite a stir at <random place here> with your shouting. Why don't you go check out <other random place here>?"

It's even sillier when you get dinged for it when shouting in some backwater place with no witnesses. Pretty sure I've had those a few times. Really? I caused a stir by upsetting some bandits and a deer with my shout, and you felt the need to send me a notarized letter about it?

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I like it tidy. Even though I'll pick up the incidentally quest or two or few, I generally stick to following one quest, but carrying it out without fast travel. Kinda lets me get caught up in weirdness so as to not get bored with the quest, but still have a main goal. I generally dislike the one-stop shopping for five different things the next time I'm in Whiterun or wherever style of questing.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

I like it tidy. Even though I'll pick up the incidentally quest or two or few, I generally stick to following one quest, but carrying it out without fast travel. Kinda lets me get caught up in weirdness so as to not get bored with the quest, but still have a main goal. I generally dislike the one-stop shopping for five different things the next time I'm in Whiterun or wherever style of questing.

My first playthrough I sort of toured each of the major cities: Whiterun was of course fun adventuring, I liked Markarth with getting sent out into the wilds to hunt down Forsworn, Windhelm and Solitude seemed relatively quest-light if you're not in the war, and Riften is where I settled down and played through the Thieves Guild.

I like the no compass no quest marker idea. I may do that myself. Trying to find some combat mods that I like first and then I want to do a Light Armor + Two-Handed barbarian style character, with some Illusion and Restoration thrown in for hairier fights.

Melee combat in the vanilla game seems to swing between trivially easy and stupidly hard. I want every fight to feel epic and risky, but not devolve into a tedious block-swing-block fest where if you fail to block one hit you lose half your health. The combat engine seems to have a lot of potential to be interesting if you mod it right.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

"Hey <your name here>, you caused quite a stir at <random place here> with your shouting. Why don't you go check out <other random place here>?"

It's even sillier when you get dinged for it when shouting in some backwater place with no witnesses. Pretty sure I've had those a few times. Really? I caused a stir by upsetting some bandits and a deer with my shout, and you felt the need to send me a notarized letter about it?

I got a letter one time because I caused a stir in... Blackreach o_O

WadeWilson on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    You really don't need to worry about armor with specialty style builds while sticking with smithing. My specialty guy was a dude in Hammerfell Garp and only light armor boots and gloves. I was only a little squishy, offset by the ability to just slice the fuck up anything with dual scimitars.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    You really don't need to worry about armor with specialty style builds while sticking with smithing. My specialty guy was a dude in Hammerfell Garp and only light armor boots and gloves. I was only a little squishy, offset by the ability to just slice the fuck up anything with dual scimitars.

Because I also really like the idea of only wearing clothes, or mixing and matching for style over stats, could someone explain the "all armor short of 300 is worthless" thing?

Worthless may not be accurate, but I remember reading a while ago that it has a negligible effect up to 300, or something along those lines.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I'll be keeping my questlog fairly tidy. Do alot of sleeping at inns for xp bonus and open shops. Things look nicer in the day.
    If I'm going to be spreading my perks out so much I'll need to waste alot of time doing small bartender quests. Money equals training and smithing.

I'll be powerful before I know it. So far I'm loving having all these combat options. Long range, bow. Medium, magic. Close, samurai sword.
    Coolness.

Just PUMPING health. Have 160 with nothing in mana or stamina. It's all good so far, the hood boosts mana by 30 and the perk makes fire cheap.
    Gotta love Feindall for letting me use other things and keeping archery caught up for now.

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular

You pissed off the Falmer's servants!

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Elixir wrote: »

Or maybe those floating jellyfish are actually sentient. And sensitive.

Also, the problem with no quest marker playthroughs in Skyrim is that many, many quests give you no info at all, and simply rely on the fact that an arrow is going to point you to Random-Wilderness-Location. You can't even tough it out as there is literally nothing to go on. I was disappointed on many occasions where I thought I'd have to, y'know, actually figure out stuff for myself, only to find it was actually impossible because there is no base to start from. You can't go and question scholars about X, or badger townsfolk to hear rumours where Y may be, for example. You just have to follow the arrow or stumble across the location 50 hours later while doing something else.

... I'm so spoilt by old thinky Oblivion mods like The Stranded Light. :mrgreen:

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I was quite disappointed by some of those quests myself.

NPC: O noes Bandit Joe made off with my treasured heirloom and disappeared into the wilderness. If you ever come across him, please bring it back!

<No questions allowed>

<Map shows exact cave halfway across Skyrim where Bandit Joe has made his lair>

Me: :?

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Ashe wrote: »
    Elixir wrote: »

Or maybe those floating jellyfish are actually sentient. And sensitive.

Also, the problem with no quest marker playthroughs in Skyrim is that many, many quests give you no info at all, and simply rely on the fact that an arrow is going to point you to Random-Wilderness-Location. You can't even tough it out as there is literally nothing to go on. I was disappointed on many occasions where I thought I'd have to, y'know, actually figure out stuff for myself, only to find it was actually impossible because there is no base to start from. You can't go and question scholars about X, or badger townsfolk to hear rumours where Y may be, for example. You just have to follow the arrow or stumble across the location 50 hours later while doing something else.

... I'm so spoilt by old thinky Oblivion mods like The Stranded Light. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think the idea is to use Clairvoyance to lead the way to the next objective.

Which is basically an in-universe quest marker plus one, considering it creates a glowing path. But I'm down with less HUD.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

I got one for shouting at
    Paarthurnax
    on top of Throat of the World.

He asked me to.

Asshole thinks I don't know who's sending all those letters. Oh, I know. Now, how he manages to write and send them, I'm not as clear on. But I'm gonna find out!

• Options
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That was well put together.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »

How is expecting good game design from a multi-million dollar franchise being spoilt, especially having experienced it in a mod made by an amateur?

• Options
    The only thing that could have made that video better is if a giant came and just curbstomped him at the end.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    DLC crossbows, maybe? Linky.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Maybe they'll add capes, too!

A revamp of the spell system would be nice. As would being able to craft your own. Surprised there's no mod for that still...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Maybe they'll add capes, too!

A revamp of the spell system would be nice. As would being able to craft your own. Surprised there's no mod for that still...

I'd settle for Esbern's potion working!

This discussion has been closed.