As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The new IP stuff gets under my skin sometimes. This game is obstensibly a new IP as the content held within bears no resemblence to the content of old except in name alone. It's the same argument for why Mario Galaxy is different from Paper Mario which is different from Mario & Luigi which is different from New Super Mario Bros. And for more brain-scratching fun, throw in Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros USA, and Doki Doki Panic.

The trouble is, Sporky's point of view is technically correct ("the best kind of correct"). So the game can't win in a war of debates. The best we could hope for is that Kid Icarus on the 3DS gets a sequel or two and thus perpetuates itself into an offshoot series, ala Metroid Prime.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the voice acting is leaving something to desired. The delivery is too generic. I did like the "I'm finished." reference though. They are definitely maintaining the quirkiness of the original.
    Welcome to dubbed Japanese humor. I bet its some part the actors, some part the director, some part the original script (the 'Japanese-y'ness of it), and some part trying to make an adaptation for English-speakers.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    No it's not a new IP. The IP question is generally character-based, if we've seen the guy before then it's not new.

Nintendo could make a realistic dinosaur island safari simulation with raptor-esque Yoshis and that would still not be new IP, for the sake of argument.

And on the other side of things, they could make a new platformer that borrows a ton of elements from Mario but in a new setting with different characters, and that would be considered new IP. But the complainers would probably say it doesn't count because it's the same sort of gameplay.

Kid Icarus in particular seems to go to great lengths to ensure that most characters from the original game return, such as they are. It doesn't want to be new IP.

Dillon's Rolling Western has great potential though, it's a new sort of game for Nintendo and a new character and setting. I hope we see development there into fully-fledged retail software.

A full fledged Rolling Western sequel would be awesome on the WiiU, and could even use a similar control scheme.

Also, the game is a return/ressurection, so it's not really a new IP. But the classic is so old that most of the younger gamers have no clue who the character is.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Except the character was in Brawl, so they do.

I just want to say I preordered this despite the crappy try-hard kiddie anime shit. I used to find it mildly charming, then I played Kingdom Hearts 2, and by the time I finally got Sora back, I'd divorced anime and sent it's ass back to Japan with nothing, because prenups, bitch.

Not to say I don't pick up one of those hot animes for a one night stand now and again (Gurren, I love you baby), but this stupid ass hands on hips childish bullshit makes my teeth ache.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Meh, they know the character superficially because of brawl. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That is great.

This is great too!

Anwx7q9CAAE0R9k.jpg

Also, this!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Log into Club Nintendo and you can order a pack of three cards for free (it doesn't even cost coins). It's the same three cards for everyone, though, so there's no chance of getting something good.

http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/explore-the-game/arcards.html#giveaway

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Log into Club Nintendo and you can order a pack of three cards for free (it doesn't even cost coins). It's the same three cards for everyone, though, so there's no chance of getting something good.

http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising/explore-the-game/arcards.html#giveaway

That's pretty sweet. I know what I'm doing when I get home.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Cool, I shall be ordering those.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Ordered.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I wonder if these cards will also show up in the random packs. It would suck to get any of these in the pack included with the game, because they're certainly going to be the most common ones if so.

• Options
    Swag!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    That is great.

This is great too!

Anwx7q9CAAE0R9k.jpg

Also, this!

Hmm...
    Makes me think how much better the game could be if it was Monty Python's Kid Icarus

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I wonder if these cards will also show up in the random packs. It would suck to get any of these in the pack included with the game, because they're certainly going to be the most common ones if so.

Considering the Palutena card has "rare" in its title, it's possible that they aren't going to show up in random packs easily.

RockinX on
  • Options
    But I wonder if "Rare" is supposed to actually be an indicator of rarity or if they're just using it to mark the alternate character cards. Because this "Rare" card isn't going to be rare at all.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    No idea. What I wonder is if the cards are used for something other than AR photos, like unlocking stuff. I mean, they're bundled like trading cards, which makes me suspicious.

RockinX on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    Hmm. Got the order confirmation for my cards. I wonder how rare these will be compared to the ones from Comic Con last year. That pack came with Pit, Palutena, and Medusa.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    No it's not a new IP. The IP question is generally character-based, if we've seen the guy before then it's not new.

Nintendo could make a realistic dinosaur island safari simulation with raptor-esque Yoshis and that would still not be new IP, for the sake of argument.

And on the other side of things, they could make a new platformer that borrows a ton of elements from Mario but in a new setting with different characters, and that would be considered new IP. But the complainers would probably say it doesn't count because it's the same sort of gameplay.

Kid Icarus in particular seems to go to great lengths to ensure that most characters from the original game return, such as they are. It doesn't want to be new IP.

Dillon's Rolling Western has great potential though, it's a new sort of game for Nintendo and a new character and setting. I hope we see development there into fully-fledged retail software.

I see it this way: Sakurai is making the IP evolve since it didn't get to do it before. Granted, it's a different kind of evolution compared to, say Zelda, but Skyward Sword plays very differently from Zelda 1.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    So my Game Informer came with a promo card for this, it says Palutena's Army and Power of Flight. I know you can scan stuff in or whatever but that's about the limit of my knowledge. Anyway, if you want the card, I will be happy to mail it to you. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    I'll take it.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    oh dang

I was going to ask if anyone had one they wanted to get rid of

• Options
    Sorry, man. I'm trying my hardest to get a complete set of these cards.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    The only solution is to threaten to tear it in half and whoever says "no, no I can't bear to see it destroyed, give it to him" is the person who rightfully deserves it.

• Options
    I'm giving him something (if he'll accept it) in exchange for the card.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Apparently Famitsu gave KI a perfect 40/40 score. On my phone so can't grab the link.

Edit: Here's the link

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=173615

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I haven't received confirmation that my AR cards are being sent yet =( anyone have the same problem?

• Options
    I know I must seem to be obsessed with these cards but I just noticed that the page about them on the official site has more info than it did before. This might be old information by now, but the packs included with the game only have a total of 20 different cards available, "Three Sacred Treasures" (Dragoon equivalent in Uprising) is being given away at the Nintendo World Store launch (first 250 customers on launch), and the next issue of Nintendo Power will have a pack with Poseidon, Thanatos and Medusa (Battle) in it.

I can just go out and pick up a copy of Nintendo Power myself, so that's nice. I don't know how I'm going to get ahold of the Three Sacred Treasures card if there are only going to be 250 given away at the Nintendo World Store.

• Options
    So is there an advantage to collecting the cards?

• Options
    same advantage that you get collecting anything else

a momentary, fleeting sense that you've filled the empty void in your soul

• Options

Good enough for me!

• Options
    I plan on waiting 2 weeks after release then printing them all off the internet. And that's only if there's a valid in-game reason for doing so.

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »

Good enough for me!

I fill that void with Pokémon, but this works too.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I gave the game a 76/40.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Wow. That's 190%. That's better than only 100%.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    All three parts of the first Kid Icarus short are now up on US Nintendo Video.

It is the cheesiest thing I have ever seen in my life!

zwZ6e.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    The KIU Short was terrible. Terrible. Even worse than the 3D Kirby short.

Only save was Palutena's joke in Part 2. You know the one.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All three parts of the first Kid Icarus short are now up on US Nintendo Video.

It is the cheesiest thing I have ever seen in my life!

zwZ6e.jpg

I had that shirt. lol.

Also, anybody know if the card packed in the issue of Game Informer is subscriber only, or could I pick up the magazine at the store and have it be in there?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I think the card might be subscriber only.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rich from IGN is answering a lot of questions about Kid Icarus on Twitter.

- AR cards give you hearts (currency) when you scan them in. That's it.
    - AR battle mode is pretty straightforward and simple, no depth. Stats vs. stats.
    - Lots of nostalgic references.
    - References that break the 4th wall and mention other games.
    - Main game is 12 hours, but optional replays are a must; tons of extra content.
    - Frame rate "can vary." Mostly see drops in multi, not much in single if at all.
    - Online options and features are not mind-blowing but still impressive.
    - No lag online noticed yet, but no MK7-style communities.
    - Multiplayer maps are unlockable, some maps are pretty good, at least one is excellent.
    - Air combat is somewhat reminiscent of Sin & Punishment, but not ground combat.
    - You can use the buttons or d-pad to move in certain control schemes.
    - Rich wrongly stated that there is no non-stylus mode, upon a second look there does appear to be one.
    - Right handed gamers will have no use for the CPP.
    - The game controls well but isn't really comfortable.
    - Lots of epic boss battles.
    - 12 broad weapon types and tons of variation on them, over 100 weapons in the game.
    - Weapons are very different from each other. Some shine more in multi, some in single.
    - 3D effect is excellent.
    - Music is great, voice acting is good at times, annoying at others.

It's a shame about AR not doing much for the main game, but also totally understandable because of how easy it'll be to get them online. They didn't want people starting a new game with a bunch of badass weapons, etc.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    Kind of surprising (in a good way!) there's a no stylus mode. Wonder why Nintendo hasn't mentioned it...

spritesWalk.gif