As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Myths & Monsters, of Brawls & Uprisings: The Kid Icarus Thread

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    If there's a no-stylus mode it doesn't make sense that you can't use dual analog with the circle pad pro.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    If there's a no-stylus mode it doesn't make sense that you can't use dual analog with the circle pad pro.

reggie-shrugs-3ds.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Not news to me, but I really wish they had used the CPP to make a dual stick control scheme.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kid Icarus's composers:

Motoi Sakuraba: Tales of, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Baten Kaitos, Dark Souls, Golden Sun
    Yuzo Koshiro: Streets of Rage, ActRaiser, Shinobi, Etrian Odyssey
    Masafumi Takada: Killer7, No More Heroes, God Hand
    Noriyuki Iwadare: Lunar, Grandia, Radiata Stories
    Yasunori Mitsuda: Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts

Yowza.

All returning from Brawl, by the way.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Motoi Sakuraba is the best.

I expected Shogo Sakai to be one of the composers, though. He's been on Kirby Air Ride, Melee and Brawl.

Edit: Not only that, but Shogo Sakai did this arrangement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPhA1LWlWI

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh, there's a page where you can listen to some music.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/akdj/music/music01.html

Boss Battle (ボス戦) by Yasunori Mitsuda is really good. The Practice Room (練習部屋) by Masafumi Takada is incredible.

Judging by these tracks, Sakuraba (Main Theme / メインテーマ, Dark Pit Theme / ブラックピットのテーマ, Chapter 4 Air Battle / 4章空中戦) isn't at his best here. It's still pretty good though.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Son of a bitch. The soundtrack CD is available through Club Nintendo in Japan.

pop_itemimg_p138.jpg

Edit: Also here's a picture Sakurai just posted on Twitter.
    sakurai_twitter01.jpg
    Is this Yasunori Mitsuda? He mentioned something about Procyon studio and the soundtrack, so I guess they're finishing up the CD?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Son of a bitch. The soundtrack CD is available through Club Nintendo in Japan.

pop_itemimg_p138.jpg

Edit: Also here's a picture Sakurai just posted on Twitter.
    538318907.jpg?key=7681024&Expires=1331796010&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=OULvHJ29h2lSnvniPLJ9ypx8tE1jzWpjItGxFQ4JY-sYblnG2ZiwkmVdZJtBXYQQhQ5Mv4vcROA~ksNcq1Ybf~BUx-3MvgUXITvnYaQlHt~dHZWrYzxcfzlz3ZSvgiMsRGJyaOK9qaZ~QPava4PzkwMjgtY6DQ62AgOGImWrn0E_
    Is this Yasunori Mitsuda? He mentioned something about Procyon studio and the soundtrack, so I guess they're finishing up the CD?

Just another thing that Japan gets that we'll never see. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Can't see that picture. "Access Denied" when I try to open it in a new tab.

• Options
    Yeah I didn't realize the link would expire.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I think Nintendo really wants the franchise to be successful. The amount of money being put into marketing it is insane.

• Options
    I love the commercial they have for this game. I've seen it a few times already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njaaBWbA8_k

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Fortunately, they kept the voice acting to a minimum in the commercial. Good choice.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    But they also used the worst line.
    Couldn't they come up with something better than prepare to meet the light?
    You're not ready yet!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Is that... a black and gray 3DS?

• Options
    All right!!

palutena_twitter01.jpg

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    What is that?

Also yes, it seems Nintendo really wants to put Pit in the same league as Mario, Link, and Samus with the amount of money they are putting into making this game a hit. Also the US commercial is rad.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I guess it's the achievement system, right outta Kirby's Air Ride.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    What does it do? Unlock stuff as you gain achievements? Sort of like how Sakurai did the achievements in Brawl?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, it's just like the "Checklist" from Kirby Air Ride or "Challenges" from Brawl (it's something about "Goddess Palutena's Treasures" here), but this time it looks like each box also uncovers part of a picture

Edit: As far as I can tell, it's not clear if it's more like Air Ride or Brawl. In Brawl every single box had something inside, but in Kirby only select boxes did, and you didn't know until you opened it. The benefit of unlocking an empty box is that it shows you the challenges for the ones next to it.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    I love Sakurai, the dude packs so much stuff into his games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This game is shaping up to be a must-buy, but damn if that voice-acting is in a weird place. It's like on the cusp of greatness, but the writing and/or delivery holds it back. Can't tell which.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    This game is shaping up to be a must-buy, but damn if that voice-acting is in a weird place. It's like on the cusp of greatness, but the writing and/or delivery holds it back. Can't tell which.

It must be the years of watching anime, but I don't have much of a problem with the voices. If anything, blame the directing. That and the fact that they had to translate the script to english and ub over in english. It's bound to make things awkward.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's definitely that anime-taste; trying to give dialogue that doesn't quite fit English vernacular. I hope it doesn't quash peoples' enjoyment. The very fact that this game even has such quirky speech as a personality is pretty darn big.

Anyway, it may be unfairly painting a positive perception, but I've been gung-ho about this game ever since the first E3 trailer. I was planning to get it ASAP from the very start.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I can tolerate cheesy/bad voice acting. I mean, I'll even defend the voice acting in Metroid Other M. But man oh man, I hated Thanatos in those videos. So awful.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I hope there's a score attack mode without all the talking. It's not even that the talking bothers me, it's that it will get annoying over multiple playthroughs.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Yeah. Thanatos sounds like Rip Taylor. I am going to blame the Americans for that one.

It is totally cracking me up that they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink in this one. I did not not realize Sakurai was in HAL Laboratory since he was 19 (Wikipedia) and made Kirby at that time. I do believe we have a Miyamoto successor here.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Will Kid Icarus 3D Classic be released for sale on eshop or only through the download code?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      I'm guessing it'll be on the eShop. I just can't imagine they'd go to the effort to jazz up the game and only give it to people who preordered.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Will Kid Icarus 3D Classic be released for sale on eshop or only through the download code?

My guess would be that it'll be released on eShop, though not right away.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      The Medusa's Revenge short on Nintendo Video now is really cool. Much better than Thanatos Rising.

Why does Medusa have hair though?? I guess her hair transforms into snakes?? I thought she just had snakes on her head instead of hair

• Options
      The Medusa's Revenge short on Nintendo Video now is really cool. Much better than Thanatos Rising.

Why does Medusa have hair though?? I guess her hair transforms into snakes?? I thought she just had snakes on her head instead of hair

I'd take a look to check, but I'm afraid about turning to stone.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      skeldare wrote: »

Watch it through a mirror.

You'll have to tilt the 3DS slightly though because the 3D effect will be inverted!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      skeldare wrote: »

Watch it through a mirror.

You'll have to tilt the 3DS slightly though because the 3D effect will be inverted!

False! It's true that reversing the picture would invert the 3D, but viewing the screen in the mirror also makes your eyes swap which image they're seeing.

• Options
      I was wondering about that but I decided it didn't matter at all!

• Options
      i028kCJ6xsq3G.jpg

• Options
      Krathoon wrote: »
      Yeah. Thanatos sounds like Rip Taylor. I am going to blame the Americans for that one.

It is totally cracking me up that they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink in this one. I did not not realize Sakurai was in HAL Laboratory since he was 19 (Wikipedia) and made Kirby at that time. I do believe we have a Miyamoto successor here.

This is why I think Nintendo worked so hard to keep ahold of him. I have been under the impression that he will be Miyamoto caliber, if he isn't already, and very worthy to succeed him. I would actually love to see what he would do under leadership of a Mario or Zelda.

Either way, Nintendo gave the dude his own dev team and building and freedom just to make sure he didn't go anywhere. So yea, Nintendo sees his importance also.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »

This is why I think Nintendo worked so hard to keep ahold of him. I have been under the impression that he will be Miyamoto caliber, if he isn't already, and very worthy to succeed him. I would actually love to see what he would do under leadership of a Mario or Zelda.

Either way, Nintendo gave the dude his own dev team and building and freedom just to make sure he didn't go anywhere. So yea, Nintendo sees his importance also.

Hopefully, Nintendo will put him to work on a new set of characters for the franchise. I think it is high time they expanded.

• Options

Hopefully, Nintendo will put him to work on a new set of characters for the franchise. I think it is high time they expanded.

Miis, Dillon, Pushmo...they are new Nintendo characters....but yea, I'm hoping they are working on some new faces for the Nintendo universe.

Miyamoto has mentioned that he has a new franchise in the works...so we'll see.

PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options

Miis, Dillon, Pushmo...they are new Nintendo characters....but yea, I'm hoping they are working on some new faces for the Nintendo universe.

Miyamoto has mentioned that he has a new franchise in the works...so we'll see.

I think he ment new characters in the Kid Icarus franchise.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA