Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I assume that an 8-way thumbstick is easy to do because each input is just mapped to a keyboard key, and any application/game would support that out of the box; a real analogue thumbstick would require more work (probably it'd have to pretend it's a controller and somehow make use of DirectInput/XInput/whatever).

EDIT: Not an excuse or justification, mind you, just musing about stuff.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    At any given point, I am five minutes away from ordering an Azeron keypad. One YouTube review of it said that the build quality is a little shaky, since the whole thing is 3D-printed and I believe hand-assembled, which is keeping me away for now.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mistakenly poured tea in my old das, got a leopold to replace it. I now have that and a varmilo and they're both great. Varmilo strikes a little mushier, leopold a little clackier (both have silent reds)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I ordered a set of those Drop Skylight keycaps in slate and a yellow Radation DSA keycap for ESC from Signature Plastics.

Hopefully have a nice KB refresh early next week.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I don't think I ever posted pics here - I ordered a Dygma Raise a while back and it arrived a few weeks ago!

https://imgur.com/a/x4AwpAc

The Kailh Speed Silvers that I got em with are super light and pretty much what I want, though I wish there were a super light+tactile switch - unfortunately for me, everything seems to be leaning towards the heavier side of things.

As far as the keyboard itself, i like the split of course but as a fundamentally 60% layout it has the same drawbacks - arrow keys and pg up/pg down/home/end are on a different layer. The other thing that I find frustrating about it is that they have some custom software for programming the keyboard which has weird limitations - for example i can't map shift+esc -> tilde, which in combination with the arrow keys on a separate layer makes it difficult to use for work where I prefer to use just a keyboard for navigation. But it is *very* pretty and is great for gaming! And, they are hot-swaps (i am so glad this is becoming standard)!

I have one more TKL keyboard with hot swap sockets that I'm trying to find some fun switches to try - right now I'm leaning towards the Kailh Box Silent Rose, which are a lightweight and linear switch, but I'm wondering if I can find some more interesting lightweight switches to try instead.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    schuss wrote: »
    Mistakenly poured tea in my old das, got a leopold to replace it. I now have that and a varmilo and they're both great. Varmilo strikes a little mushier, leopold a little clackier (both have silent reds)

I clicked the wrong thread in my bookmarks and ended up here expecting another thread, and reading this expecting a completely different context must be what getting a stroke feels like.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Taking in all the suggestions so far and will give it some thought. I should have specified; not American. Key switch tester would be ideal but while they may be $10 in the Us, it’s closer to $30 in local currency. That’s a cheap keyboard already. That said they may be starting to open up some stores here soon so it’s possible I might be able to do some browsing.

Lack of Media keys aren’t a dealbreaker. Lack of number pad is though. The enthusiast ones are quite pricey here so far, given when the brick and mortar stores have sales some the brand ones drop down in price quite a bit. Sadly price is a bigger sticking point than normal given this year.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm still on the fence to sell this Orbweaver and get a Tartarus. It turns out I really hate clicky blues.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Drop keys arrived while I was at lunch.

I'd say they're double the thickness of the pudding keycaps, and as such there was much thock to be had. (I only got a few on there before lunch was over, will post the finished board later)

Edit: Yeah, they good

4lzw7j9i15md.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    x9484st5coo8.jpg

Edit: Just ordered a Caution spacebar from Hot Keys Project

l3xdd56c9xek.png

Editedit: Just found a translucent red polycarbonate/PBT blend EMP keycap, gonna put that on the delete key and change the backlight to white

vfh6sz5hd5d4.png

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ooh those are pretty! Do they offer a non-standard bottom row?
    #corsairkblife

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ooh those are pretty! Do they offer a non-standard bottom row?
    #corsairkblife

Doesn't appear to be that way, sorry

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    uhhh i did the groupbuy for the corne because i don't know whatever i did it

now i need keycaps and switches

poo
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Which group buy is that?
    e: Is it the Keyhive one that also has the IMK case? Damn that case is expensive!!

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    re: gamepads... just came across this blog post. Unfortunately it isn't a product that can be bought but damn people do some cool things!

https://www.billiam.org/2019/05/29/sherbet-an-ergonomic-keypad

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Which group buy is that?
    e: Is it the Keyhive one that also has the IMK case? Damn that case is expensive!!

yerp

poo
  • Options
    Which group buy is that?

yerp

Did you get the case too? It looks awesome but I can't justify the price and I'm also not sure I like the Corne form factor. The lily58 feels pretty perfect to me, at least at this time.

• Options
    I did though I dunno why I didn’t just do acrylic things for way cheaper

But, well, here we go

It’s a big spend for sure considering I’ve not used something with so few keys before - yeah the lily58 or sofle seem pretty good

But 🤷🏾‍♂️ I’ll learn and it’ll be nice to have something so small

Now to figure out switches and key caps... ideas? A reasonably quiet tactile would be nice

poo
  • Options
    Browns by any manufacturer (Kailh, Cherry, and Gateron being the majors) are the default "quiet tactile" switch - they are not clicky but have a noticeable bump.

Apart from that it starts getting into personal preferences - e.g. initial actuation force, bottom out force, switch travel, etc. For example you could go with Kailh Speed Coppers which have a much shorter travel distance but still have a tactile bump. But if you're not sure what to go for then just get browns to try it out, you can get enough switches for around $40 usually. Is the keyboard you got hot-swappable?

• Options
    I ordered some Kailh Box Silent Rose switches for my xbows TKL, and slapped some spare cubic profile keys on there
    qs9g548b19sa.jpg
    kcq0mnv9sl5h.jpg

They're very quiet! perhaps a shade too light but I think I like them. I wish the case was white, since it would go much better with the keycaps... but oh well.

I do have these keycaps, which I think may be a better color scheme... may switch them out at a later date:
    79cqmebvpjnj.jpg

• Options
    I put 65g Zealios on my lily58 and like them. Not sure where I will go next. Maybe the lighter ones? Or maybe something like the glorious pandas if I want to get into lubing my own switches.

• Options
    i thought about grabbing some glorious pandas but i've always been a little unsure because they describe it as a high-force tactile bump with a smooth low-force travel after and im not sure how i'd like the tactile.

• Options
    My Gateron browns are the best keycaps I've used.

I bottom out my keys. I THOCK.

• Options
    Browns by any manufacturer (Kailh, Cherry, and Gateron being the majors) are the default "quiet tactile" switch - they are not clicky but have a noticeable bump.

Apart from that it starts getting into personal preferences - e.g. initial actuation force, bottom out force, switch travel, etc. For example you could go with Kailh Speed Coppers which have a much shorter travel distance but still have a tactile bump. But if you're not sure what to go for then just get browns to try it out, you can get enough switches for around $40 usually. Is the keyboard you got hot-swappable?

yeah, i have kailh box browns on my ergodox, i enjoy them mostly

but i was thinking of going for these perhaps (not sure which weight though) https://zealpc.net/products/zilent

it would be nice to have something small and quiet that i could take places if i needed to

poo
  • Options
    where should i look for cool keycaps? what kind do i want? hm!

poo
  • Options
    I've also been eyeing zilents for my next board.

As for keycaps, are you interested in spending hundreds of dollars on a group buy? If so, just troll the mechmarket or mechanicalkeyboard subreddits until you see one you like. Then wait a long time.

• Options

As for keycaps, are you interested in spending hundreds of dollars on a group buy? If so, just troll the mechmarket or mechanicalkeyboard subreddits until you see one you like. Then wait a long time.

Geekhack is a good place too

• Options

Geekhack is a good place too

Good in terms of content, terrible in terms of ease of use.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I really like my silent reds.

• Options
    The resin spacebar came in the mail and man it's super nice. This is my first resin keycap ever, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

It looked shiny and smooth on the website but it's actually got a nice textured feel that I would normally associate with PBT.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    It has been six and a half years since I bought my Ducky DK9008P Premiere mechanical, with cherry reds, and grey/blue PBT keycaps. This last month I've been deep cleaning and reorganizing my office which included a keyboard deep clean. Probably the... third time I've done this? Precipitated by finally finding my lost keypuller behind a shelving unit, lol.

Pulled all the keys and gave 'em a soak in an efferdent bath, triple rinsed, dried in a pillowcase in the dryer on delicate, took apart the frame, gave it a solid vacuuming, etc etc. And now it's like new again! What a good investment this has been. Clicky clicky clicky.

• Options
    It lives

6gm77z1gpo7c.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It lives

6gm77z1gpo7c.jpg

That fucking keyboard is on point. What are the keyboard and switch specs and where did you get the keycaps?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    It lives

6gm77z1gpo7c.jpg

That fucking keyboard is on point. What are the keyboard and switch specs and where did you get the keycaps?

Thanks! I'm really liking how it all came out.

Steelseries Apex 7 TKL w/Gateron Browns
    DROP Skylight Keycaps
    Hotkeys Project: Caution Collection Resin Spacebar
    Signature Plastics DSA Novelty Keycaps
    Keypop EMP Key

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    i ordered a switch tester with zilents so i guess we shall see

keycaps is the next thing to figure out

poo
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I just got my first mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K8 (aluminum frame, hot-swap Gateron Browns) which I'm really enjoying, but I need some advice on new keycaps. (I fully admit that I'm caught in the quicksand of this whole thing.)

I'd like to get a new set of keycaps, but I think my set of requirements doesn't exist out there. Here's what I really want:
    • PBT
    • Mac command key (or at least not Windows specific, like SYS or something)
    • some backlight shine-through (on the legends mainly, puddings might be a bit much. This would have to be doubleshot, right?)

And some "nice to have" things:
    • Cherry profile (The OEM the K8 came with is working well, though)
    • some color options (mainly just greys and blues, though)

Is anyone making what I'm looking for? I keep finding things that are close, but not quite what I want. (I think I might have to forego the backlighting...)
    Anyway, thanks!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Jacoby wrote: »
    I just got my first mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K8 (aluminum frame, hot-swap Gateron Browns) which I'm really enjoying, but I need some advice on new keycaps. (I fully admit that I'm caught in the quicksand of this whole thing.)

I'd like to get a new set of keycaps, but I think my set of requirements doesn't exist out there. Here's what I really want:
    • PBT
    • Mac command key (or at least not Windows specific, like SYS or something)
    • some backlight shine-through (on the legends mainly, puddings might be a bit much. This would have to be doubleshot, right?)

And some "nice to have" things:
    • Cherry profile (The OEM the K8 came with is working well, though)
    • some color options (mainly just greys and blues, though)

Is anyone making what I'm looking for? I keep finding things that are close, but not quite what I want. (I think I might have to forego the backlighting...)
    Anyway, thanks!
    I think you've described Drop.com's Skylight Series keycaps except for the Mac requirement. I don't think they have any Mac-specific keycaps.

Drop's Skylight keycaps are more or less available on demand, while most other fancy keycaps are group-buys that are either way expensive, or you can't get them because the group buy ran in 2016 and the molds have since been destroyed. Or both. So, one option is to just get them as a temp set, and then replace them as other options become available. You might be able to also find Mac-specific keys somewhere else that can be combined with the Skylight set.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    if you just want some standard/non-specific theme colors, then i do think taihao has the most affordable selection of keycaps and are of decent quality:

https://shop.tai-hao.com/categories/pbt-double-shot-backlit-keycaps

I don't usually look for non-windows keys, so unfortunately i can't say if these are any good for that, but if you can stomach having a windows key instead of a command key then it's still a good way to change up your look without breaking the bank.

ed: but if you are looking for mac keys then drop.com (and many other keycap stores) will sell separate modifier kits. depending on brand/uniqueness that may cost anywhere from an additional $10-$40 though.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    I have a set of Tai Hao's at work.

They're v good for the price, make sure you get the kind without the "antibiosis treatment"

• Options
    Got my switch tester
    Maybe zilent 65g is what I want

poo