Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I have a Leopold Tenkeyless at work and a Noppoo Choc Mini, a 75% keyboard, at home, both with Cherry brown switches.
    I actually prefer the 75% keyboard over the tenkeyless keyboard.
    Once you go with a smaller footprint, to put your hand closer to your mouse, you realize the tenkeyless wastes space.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    what are the favorite tenkeyless boards people like? thinking about a compact gift for a friend.

My work board is a Filco Majestouch 2 and I love it. I recently bought a Ducky 9008G2 Pro for home (full-sized) and probably slightly prefer the feel of the Filco.

exis on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think that I may have bit off more than I can chew with this Ergodox assembly. I spent nearly two hours soldering ten surface-mount diodes. I can't seem to hold my hand steady enough to keep them in place, and you have to solder the first contact twice, and they're tiny!

I watched an assembly video on YouTube where the guy used this conductive solder paste that shrank up to the contacts when he used a heat gun on it. I can't find anything like that at my local Fry's though, just a bunch of flux. Is this tube of grey stuff the sort of thing I'm looking for?

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I decided to not use that solder paste as I'd heard it's not as sturdy as solder. I only started getting decent at soldering the itty bitty diodes after the first several rows, though, and that portion took me about 5 hours to complete and then more to go back and fix or actually do some that I messed up or skipped. My hands were shaking through the entire process, too; you just get used to being able to tap the solder gun to the solder to get it in place.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So finished yet? How did it turn out? Pics of the solder job or it didn't happen!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Nooo... I was working outside, and then it started getting cold. The exhaust fan on my stove range is dead, so I need to come up with some other well ventilated way to work on this indoors.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Via Slickdeals:
    Newegg.com has CM Storm QuickFire XT Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Cherry MX Blue Switches (SGK-4030-GKCL1-US) on sale for $79.99 - $30 Rebate = $49.99. Shipping is free.

Note, limit 1 rebate for per household

User reviews on Newegg and Amazon are quite positive for this keyboard. I'm sure folks here have some hands on knowledge and can say if it's worthwhile or not.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Blues are odd in that they are truly a mechanical switch lover board. I'd say for typing you'd be ok, gaming I could see it getting kind of annoying. That keyboard in particular has solid reviews.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Are there any Mac compatible, numpad less mechanical keyboards with USB ports? Using my work laptop at the office has both USB ports on the laptop taken up by Ethernet and the current keyboard so the mouse has to go into the keyboard's USB ports. Replacing the crappy keyboard with a nicer one but having no mouse would be counter productive.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Are there any Mac compatible, numpad less mechanical keyboards with USB ports? Using my work laptop at the office has both USB ports on the laptop taken up by Ethernet and the current keyboard so the mouse has to go into the keyboard's USB ports. Replacing the crappy keyboard with a nicer one but having no mouse would be counter productive.

i thnk the only issue you might run into is, most of the keyboards with usb ports are really just passthroughs.

my k70 has a usb port on it, but it also takes up two slots, preesumably one for the keyboard, one for the slot

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I'd recommend getting the keyboard you want (and not limiting or restricting yourself because a USB hub built in is rare) and solving your current port issue with a hub.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting the keyboard you want (and not limiting or restricting yourself because a USB hub built in is rare) and solving your current port issue with a hub.

Yup, get a hub, plug everything that stays at your desk into the hub - then when you get there with the laptop you just have to plug the hub into the laptop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Anyone have a recommendation for the best kind of switches for a programmer? Looking to get a gift for someone.

I love my mx brown switches so I was thinking this: CM Storm Quickfire

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a recommendation for the best kind of switches for a programmer? Looking to get a gift for someone.

I love my mx brown switches so I was thinking this: CM Storm Quickfire

I'd tend to think blues or browns are best for typing, depending on whether they like a noisy keyboard or not. They both have that nice tactile click that feel great when doing lots of typing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's a matter of preference really, though for an office environment browns might be better just because they're quieter; also browns sound/feel most like your typical rubber dome board, if that's what they're used to

I do like my quickfire xt though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It really comes down to personal preference more than type of use. I would say browns if I had to make a decision blind for programming, but I'm a programmer and use reds at work sooooo.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'd take clears over blues any day of the week.

In fact, in order of my own personal preference from most awesome to least awesome:
    Reds
    Blacks
    Clears
    Browns (they feel a tiny bit mooshy to me)
    Blues
    Greens

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I use reds at work too but if I had a personal office I would switch to blues in a heartbeat. Unfortunately never tried clears though.

Unrelated, I saw a keyboard that was marketing grey switches the other day (don't remember where)... Is that a real thing? Or are they just off-brand switches?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    cherry calls some of their spacebar switches greys, near as I can tell

it's possible they're just offbrand, or it's possible somebody made a whole keyboard out of the cherry ones. Can't imagine it'd be pleasant to type on though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Logitech G710+ with browns and o-rings for $90 on Amazon. (Hmm, maybe not that great a discount since Newegg has it for $100. Maybe useful if someone has some Amazon credit lying around...)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    namesarehardnamesarehard Registered User new member
    Question: Are there switches that make your keyboard sound like those found in the Alien movies and if so what are they?
    I was also worried that I was unable to post.. but hurray it works!

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    cherry calls some of their spacebar switches greys, near as I can tell

it's possible they're just offbrand, or it's possible somebody made a whole keyboard out of the cherry ones. Can't imagine it'd be pleasant to type on though

It used to be clear, white, green were for POS systems and space bars. But because of their lower production and thus higher cost the "more $$$ means better" crowd found them and started building keyboards. So now they make grey for spacebars, and key people pulled the same "costs more means better" and you can now buy a keyboard made of them.

I've got some green + grey and clear + grey KVM items in the server room at work. Nice, but loud, then again you can't hear shit over the cooling system or the ear plugs required for safety!
    it's a matter of preference really, though for an office environment browns might be better just because they're quieter; also browns sound/feel most like your typical rubber dome board, if that's what they're used to

I do like my quickfire xt though

For an office where nobody is using headphones any mechanical is asking for complaints unless you have an actual office for yourself. Mechanical keyboards are made for point of sales systems, gamers with headphones, kvm's in data centers, and other things where the amount of racket they cause just isn't a problem. What matters is the tacticle bump, and the accuracy, not the "clang, clang, clang" you make while typing up a storm.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    I use a Leopold tenkeyless with brown switches at work, in a cube farm. It's not loud enough for people to complain. Not really that much louder than people with rubber dome keyboards who bottom out while typing.

Now when I had my Unicomp keyboard with springs, that was loud enough that people from several cubes over said something.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I picked up the Logitech G910 yesterday from Future Shop. I've never owned a mechanical keyboard before, and this thing is tits. It was bloody expensive, but it looks cool and the price was right as I have no patience for waiting for shipping. It doesn't have Cherry MX switches, rather it uses Romer-G switches that are apparently either exclusive or proprietary. Either way, it's nice and clicky, far better than the shitty $20 Microsoft keyboard that I've been using for the last three years.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They need to make red equivalents.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got a G710+ for Christmas, and I can't wait to get home and hook it up. Finally upgrading after a decade of a logitech keyboard that was nice, but main this mechanical is super slick.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I have a few questions, not necessarily related to mech keyboards but I don't see any other keyboard thread:

So I have a Razer Deathstalker Expert (the regular one with back-lighting basically). I quite like it, but it got really dirty over the past year or so I've had it and I decided to clean it last night. Yeah, apparently that was a BAD idea - the keys that have a metal bracket thingy to help prop them up? Well the design of what makes that work is SO flimsy (the plastic bits to hold the metal in place are like a mm or less in thickness), it broke in several of them just from popping the keys out (and I did it gently). So now my space bar, left shift, backspace, and enter keys are really mushy and often don't register unless I hit them exactly in the center of the key. It is very annoying, especially the space bar. I don't really have the money to buy a new keyboard right now sadly, but I'm looking at what to replace it with.

I don't know if I want to go with mechanical or just stick with ye olde rubber dome setups, but I'd appreciate recommendations anyone had. The only requirement I have is back-lighting, I'm just too used to it and it's so fun to have. I also -love- the "built in" (it's more like a slab heh) wrist rest of the Deathstalker, it's been very comfortable, so anything that feels comparable would be nice. However I also would love to hear what the best stand-alone wrist rests people have found are. I don't care if its fancy, I just want it to be comfy as without one my wrists hurt and get cold pretty quickly.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I cannot praise my Ducky Shine 3 enough.

• Options
    I just picked up a CM Storm Novatouch TKL and it's kiiiiinda great. This thing feels pretty incredible to type on. Like, even more solid and satisfying than my Ducky Shine with MX Blacks. Much less rattling to the keycaps.

• Options
    I just picked up a CM Storm Novatouch TKL and it's kiiiiinda great. This thing feels pretty incredible to type on. Like, even more solid and satisfying than my Ducky Shine with MX Blacks. Much less rattling to the keycaps.

Are those like their own proprietary Topre keys?

• Options

Are those like their own proprietary Topre keys?

Sorrrrrt of. They're totally standard Topre mechanisms, except the keycap socket on top is Cherry MX shaped so that it can take MX Keycaps sets. Kind of a best of both worlds sort of deal.

• Options
    That is incredibly awesome, yet I cannot justify a reason to replace my Filco :(

• Options
    That is incredibly awesome, yet I cannot justify a reason to replace my Filco :(

come now, we all know you can justify something

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    A Ducky Mini, Year of the Horse edition in brown switches, so tempting... yes that's an aluminum case with multi color leds adjustable per key...
    ducky_year_of_the_horse_photo_07.jpg

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    well that was weird. working on my computer when i heard the ding noise of a device being unplugged, now my k70 isnt working. tried multiple usb ports and nada

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ugh, replacement keyboard is terrible. all mushy and not clicky

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    ugh, replacement keyboard is terrible. all mushy and not clicky

I guess someone's headed to Microcenter tonight.

• Options
    noooo.

need to see if its the keyboard or the computer.

need to check on another computer first.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    So, what you're saying is you need to go get a new keyboard AND/OR a new computer at Microcenter tonight.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i was just at microcenter and because the K70 RGB is still sold out everywhere (for the foreseeable future) and slightly buggy (according to some)...

.....i bought a half price clone, the Azio MGK1. I'll probably still get the K70 RGB somewhere down the line, but the Azio is clicky and understated. my first mech keyboard.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy