As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Ducky Shine 3 is just a single color backlight, right? Local store has some in stock, but it doesn't seem to say clearly wether it's a single color (and which color, if so), or if they're RGB LEDs.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yes, Ducky Shine 3's are a single color.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    The Ducky Shine 3 is just a single color backlight, right? Local store has some in stock, but it doesn't seem to say clearly wether it's a single color (and which color, if so), or if they're RGB LEDs.

just get the zero minor. it is everything you would want out of a keyboard

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

I actually have a Zero with blacks. Just considering upgrading to something that has per-key RGB backlighting.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

I actually have a Zero with blacks. Just considering upgrading to something that has per-key RGB backlighting.

So you can turn it mostly off?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    picked up a CM quickfire rapid-i tonight

it's sexy and small and i might bring it along everywhere if i need to write a lot that day

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I still want a CODE with clears, but I can't justify it :/

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular

I've convinced myself that I want a tenkeyless board, so I'm going to buy a CODE. Then, when I've sold my present daskeyboard, that decision will backfire and I will be forced to buy a second, full-size CODE because suddenly I can't live without a number pad. My plan is flawless.

• Options
    Your nemesis needs to make a CODE/or any other decent model with a sturdy detachable keypad, is all.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    I'm still tempted to buy a standalone numpad to sit on the other side of my mouse. I like not having to splay my arms out in order to use mouse and keyboard at once, but I can't deny the convenience of a numpad.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »

I've convinced myself that I want a tenkeyless board, so I'm going to buy a CODE. Then, when I've sold my present daskeyboard, that decision will backfire and I will be forced to buy a second, full-size CODE because suddenly I can't live without a number pad. My plan is flawless.

I'd love the extra space, but I love typing on the numpad. I don't know it's just so much quicker for calc.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

If you've not already upgraded, I rather like my Logitech G910 Orion Spark. You can change the colour of every key on the keyboard, and it feels and sounds good. However, I feel that I must add the caveat that I don't have any experience with any other mechanical keyboards.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I just ordered myself a Ducky Shine 4 with brown switches.

Now I'm just sitting here clicking one key on my switch tester over and over and over.

• Options
    You'll love it, browns are a good middle ground for starters!

• Options
    Ahhhh, this feels great. The ducky came today, and I just want to type and type and type and type.

Who wants to dictate a novel?

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Ahhhh, this feels great. The ducky came today, and I just want to type and type and type and type.

Who wants to dictate a novel?

‘Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family
    estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don’t
    tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the
    infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist - I
    really believe he is Antichrist - I will have nothing more
    to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer
    my ‘faithful slave,’ as you call yourself! But how do you
    do? I see I have frightened you - sit down and tell me all
    the news.’

• Options
    blues really do feel better for typing than browns.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I picked up a G710+ and really like it. The "E" key made a pinging noise so I put some silicote reel oil on it. It's now so quite I want to oil all my keys. I'm gonna need a key remover.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting in on this mechanical keyboard racket, and have spent some time looking at the overwhelming options. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions of the Ducky One? It's one of the few in stock at mk.com, but it's not even listed on Ducky's website yet.

I did manage to try Google translate on their native site, which does have the model listed, and it seems like a competitive offering:

It seems basically like the next version of the Ducky Zero, except with quite a few upgrades.
    * The USB is detachable now (from what I can tell that was a not standard on Zeros), with a micro USB connection.
    * The keycaps are double shot, which is a nice touch.
    * Double PCB boards.
    * The feet have rubber.
    * Standard nkro over USB that Ducky uses.
    * The translated page implies it has some kind of macro function now?
    * It has a lot of the excessive lighting options that used to only be on the shines, like reactive or breathing modes, except with one color instead of the new RGB options.
    * Lastly, it also lists the origin as Taiwan, which might mean they're manufacturing it in Taiwan with their other models instead of China as the Zero's were (though "Origin" is vague enough they might just mean design).

All for 115$ with free shipping. Am I missing something or is this a pretty good deal? I was leaning towards a more conservative design like a Das/Filco/WASD, but most of the good options cost at least 50% more.

• Options
    i have a ducky zero and I love it.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Unicomp needs to stop fucking around and release their tenkeyless.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Well, I couldn't resist:
    6kcxcklgdoyq.jpg
    sd1c7m7imoez.jpg
    n7dqb3dyomft.jpg

I'm still getting used to it being tenkeyless. I used the numpad more frequently than I thought, and I keep reaching for parts of the keyboard that are out of position. It's a great board, though, and I really like the Clears.

• Options
    Fuck I want it, better than MX Brown?

• Options
    Fuck I want it, better than MX Brown?

It really depends. I work on a membrane keyboard at work, so I tend to strike pretty hard, the stiffness of the Clears vs. the Browns is nice, I don't go past actuation as much. They do feel significantly stiffer, though, which is taking some getting used to. I really like them though, it makes everything feel a bit more substantial.

• Options
    Have you used greens before?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    If you are on the fence this sampler kit may help.
    though it doesn't matter because buckling spring is best

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    there is also a huge sampler on massdrop now

like 12 keys or something

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    i got in on carbon SA, but now i'm considering round 5a on DT, and where is all my money going

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Have you used greens before?

Only on a sampler. I liked the feel (they felt marginally "stiffer" than the clears, but that may just be my imagination), but I've never loved the "clicky" switches, I feel like someone's clicking a ballpoint pen in time with my typing.

• Options
    I've got a question for fellow Ducky owners. What does it look like under your caps lock key? On my keyboard, the caps lock key itself can be back-lit (the down arrow on my keyboard) but there is a little dot that I presume should light up when caps lock is turned on. The LED indicator for caps lock in the top right of the keyboard turns on, but not the indicator on the key itself. When I pulled off the key, it looks like this. There's obviously a cut in the board for an LED indicator. Is it just missing on mine? Or is it built in to the board and I just can't figure out how to turn it on? Factory reset and messing with dip switches has had no affect so far.

My last keyboard didn't have an indicator on the key itself, so it's not a big deal, but it does nag knowing there is something that might not be working on it.

• Options
    I finally checked @Endaro , mine does have an individual LED for the indicator dot, as well as an LED for the Caps word. Oddly, however, the key doesn't light up either LED unless I have caps TURNED ON. So I have two LED's, unlike the shown picture, but they don't act independently.

I have a Ducky Shine 4, by the way. Hope that helps.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Could be that the keycap is reused between models of keyboards, some that have an LED for capslock under the key and some that don't?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I finally checked @Endaro , mine does have an individual LED for the indicator dot, as well as an LED for the Caps word. Oddly, however, the key doesn't light up either LED unless I have caps TURNED ON. So I have two LED's, unlike the shown picture, but they don't act independently.

I have a Ducky Shine 4, by the way. Hope that helps.

Appreciated! I know it's a pain to hunt down that keycap puller. Your caps locks is almost as strange as mine. I assume it also has an indicator light in the top right, in addition to lighting up the key when turned on? When I was trying to search for my quirk I saw others mentioning yours, it sounds standard for the shines. They suggested it had something to do with the fact that caps lock is uniquely used to set the key color options on the Shine.
    Infidel wrote: »
    Could be that the keycap is reused between models of keyboards, some that have an LED for capslock under the key and some that don't?

That's actually a pretty decent guess, as both of our keyboards are from the same generation. I guess they also share a board then, as mine has a cutout for the missing LED.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a keytester they'd be willing to ship to me? I will ship back and can pay both ways if we figure out a way to do it reasonably inexpensively. I'm particularly interested in trying blacks and linear greys to contrast against my current reds.

• Options
    Good luck finding a tester with grays. Not very helpful, I know, just thought you should be aware that's kind of rare if you weren't. If you did know, totally unhelpful!

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Does anyone have a keytester they'd be willing to ship to me? I will ship back and can pay both ways if we figure out a way to do it reasonably inexpensively. I'm particularly interested in trying blacks and linear greys to contrast against my current reds.

PM me, i don't have linear grays on my tester but i have blues, greens, whites, blacks, browns, clears, 'heavy' clears, and reds.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is there a decent lower cost highly recommended mechanical keyboard these days? Preferably with a 10-key (although not required)? My current keyboard needs to be replaced and I can't spend a ton of money right now.

Basically I am looking for the Hyper 212 Evo of keyboards.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    What is lower cost to you?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure. Would $60 et me someting tat is usable for a wile?

(g and h are two of my problem keys).