As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's after Six. What am I, a farmer? [Discussing changing and evolving norms and fashions]

spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filledRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
I think it is undeniable that over time, manners have loosened substantially, and things which were once impolite have become completely appceptable. I think there are definitely good aspects of this, but I can't help but think we have lost something in the process. For example, while it is nice to be able to wear jeans in an expensive restaurant if you want to, I think it takes away from the enjoyment of dressing up for a special dinner, since you feel stupid for wearing a suit when the guy at the next table is in shorts. What manners, niceties, and social norms do you think we may have been too hasty in abandoning?

Edit: I changed the title of the thread to reflect where the conversation is going.

spacekungfuman on

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm confused by what you want to discuss.

Is this thread about farming and how farmers have bad manners, or is it how being after six o'clock makes us have bad manners?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Do what I do, feel silently superior to those who don't observe etiquette.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I wore a slacks, shirt, jacket, and tie the other week at a restaurant in Disney World and walked around like that for the rest of the evening. I even have a roller coaster pic that I need to order (damn the inflated cost!). I'm classy as fuck.

Of course, later that week I wore a t-shirt and jeans to a really nice hotel restaurant where everyone was dressed up because my GF didn't tell me there was a dress code (they'd recently allowed t-shirts in on a probationary basis, but I was still underdressed compared to the setting).

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Personally, I wear a tuxedo every time I use the restroom. Y'all a bunch of small potatoes compared to me.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    zerg rush wrote:

Is this thread about farming and how farmers have bad manners, or is it how being after six o'clock makes us have bad manners?

It's a quote from 30 Rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    And honestly, I don't feel stupid if the guy at the table next to mine is wearing shorts in a fancy restaurant. I feel better than him, because fashion dictates that I, in fact, am.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    zerg rush wrote:

The title is a 30 rock quote. I want people to discuss lost manners, like tipping hats, rising in the presence of a woman, dressing for the theater, etc.

I really wish the waistcoat had not gone out of style. Pocket watches were so classy, but they aren't if you pull them from your front pockets. . .

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Formalities in speech would be nice. I use "Sir" and "Ma'am" to everyone, but I understand that's somewhat archaic.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Really the only things that I find really rude these days are the following:

People who think everyone within twenty yards wants to listen to their shitty music, whether it's by having music on dangerously loud in earphones or by being stupid enough to think music sounds great playing at full tinny blast out of a shitty phone speaker. Okay it's mostly kids on buses/trams who do this and most of them will grow out of being inconsiderate retards but you shouldn't have to have an argument with a child or three to be able to go somewhere without listening to 50 cent or whatever.

People who have let the value they put on their work mean they're ok being rude if it gets them to work faster, or more comfortably. This one happens pretty much exclusively on trams here, it's people who are so lazy that standing up for a maximum of an hour means they can try to push on to the tram through the people trying to get off. This is pretty much exclusively middle class adults on their way to work in the city centre. Fuck you if waiting ten seconds to let everyone off means there are no seats left by the time you get on, I'd much rather not be an asshole and let people off the tram easily than not have to stand up for half an hour.
    If we're in such a rush all the time that it's normal for us to be rude to each other we're living our lives wrong.

I'm actually really glad when it feels like things like dress codes are being relaxed, I don't really get why we need to be wearing uniforms out side of a professional/scholastic setting. Why not just let's all be comfortable in whatever we want to wear and give less of a shit about what others are wearing; it's so meaningless.

• Options
    A lot of the things you're talking about are only applicable to people of a certain class (specifically, those at or above the Upper Middle). Hell, the affluent among us used to dress up to go on the plane, or for Sunday service. I've worn plenty of suits, and not a one of them was comfortable.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Tipping hats went out of style because hats went out of style because felt prices went up during WWII along with all other fabric prices which caused an overall simplification of everyday clothes which is partially responsible for fashions becoming more casual.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    like tipping hats, rising in the presence of a woman, dressing for the theater, etc.

1) Hat's aren't a ubiquitous fashion item anymore, 2) i'd like to think we've advanced enough with egalitarianism that we don't have to practice benevolent sexism in order to be "polite," and 3) what theater? live stage productions? People still dress up for those kinds of things. Movie theaters? Who gives a crap.

Really this topic reeks of trite "get off my lawn/good old days" fodder. I would argue that people overall are slightly more polite/kinder to others on the day to day now than what it was like before. Especially with advancements like, you know, publicly frowning upon casual racism/sexism in the workplace and other public areas.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    I wore a slacks, shirt, jacket, and tie the other week at a restaurant in Disney World and walked around like that for the rest of the evening. I even have a roller coaster pic that I need to order (damn the inflated cost!). I'm classy as fuck.

Of course, later that week I wore a t-shirt and jeans to a really nice hotel restaurant where everyone was dressed up because my GF didn't tell me there was a dress code (they'd recently allowed t-shirts in on a probationary basis, but I was still underdressed compared to the setting).

Did you get treated better for being dressed well? I find you often do.

I hate being in that position too. I beleive you can rarely be overdressed, but I really wish more places had more clearly defined dress codes that were easy to know.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If I'm dressed fancier than other people around me, I'm unlikely to feel self-conscious about being overdressed; I'm much more likely to think, "Fuck yeah I look good. Suck it, bitches."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    A lot of the things you're talking about are only applicable to people of a certain class (specifically, those at or above the Upper Middle). Hell, the affluent among us used to dress up to go on the plane, or for Sunday service. I've worn plenty of suits, and not a one of them was comfortable.

You have not been wearing suits that fit you right.

I normally am in formal wear once or twice a week at least for work, and even with a non-fitted shirt that at least is in my dimensions in general, I've never had a problem wearing a suit. In fact, I really quite enjoy it, it feels nice to look good. Heck, I enjoy wearing the whole tux thing, complete with the actual bow tie(none of this clip-on crap). Putting on a suit+tie or even a tux only has a few more steps than putting on a t-shirt and jeans, I don't see what the big problem people have with it is.

• Options
    Feral wrote:
    Tipping hats went out of style because hats went out of style because felt prices went up during WWII along with all other fabric prices which caused an overall simplification of everyday clothes which is partially responsible for fashions becoming more casual.

Interesting. Do you know why the decline of the hat also lead to the breakdown in propriety demanding that you take your hat off indoors? I'm not just talking about baseball caps either. People have started wearing real hats again (like fedoras and news hats) but have no problem blatantly wearing them inside.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    And honestly, I don't feel stupid if the guy at the table next to mine is wearing shorts in a fancy restaurant. I feel better than him, because fashion dictates that I, in fact, am.

I think he means on all sides, and there's something to be said about not showing up to a black tie event in white tie or a tuxedo in the daytime.

• Options
    CptKemzik wrote:
    like tipping hats, rising in the presence of a woman, dressing for the theater, etc.

1) Hat's aren't a ubiquitous fashion item anymore, 2) i'd like to think we've advanced enough with egalitarianism that we don't have to practice benevolent sexism in order to be "polite," and 3) what theater? live stage productions? People still dress up for those kinds of things. Movie theaters? Who gives a crap.

Really this topic reeks of trite "get off my lawn/good old days" fodder. I would argue that people overall are slightly more polite/kinder to others on the day to day now than what it was like before. Especially with advancements like, you know, publicly frowning upon casual racism/sexism in the workplace and other public areas.

I really don't want to talk about racism and sexism. This topic is just about nice pleasantries that noone cares about anymore. On 3, I see people in tshirts at broadway shows all the time.

• Options
    Khavall wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

The suits fit me fine. They're simply not designed for comfort, much like stiletto heels.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

I think he means on all sides, and there's something to be said about not showing up to a black tie event in white tie or a tuxedo in the daytime.

There's also a lower limit for that though. Seriously, I don't think a suit+tie can ever look out of place in normal circumstances. Sure, at the beach or something, but just around town the suit+tie will always work.

However, yeah, if you're showing up in a tux at for a morning casual wedding then that's too far, but you'd have to go pretty far to overdress compared to how easy it is to underdress.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

Exactly. I think this is a bigger problem for women, like when a woman mistakenly wears a full length ball gown to an event where most are in cocktail dresses, and men are just in suits

And suits can be very comfortable, if they fit well. I'd prefer the comfort plus feeling I look really good over any small gain in comfort from goin business casual.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I kind of maybe think it's a shame that we lost the notion that there should be a waiting period before you get on a first-name basis with someone.
    live stage productions? People still dress up for those kinds of things.
    Do they? Oh dear. I don't.

• Options
    Khavall wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

There's also a lower limit for that though. Seriously, I don't think a suit+tie can ever look out of place in normal circumstances. Sure, at the beach or something, but just around town the suit+tie will always work.

However, yeah, if you're showing up in a tux at for a morning casual wedding then that's too far, but you'd have to go pretty far to overdress compared to how easy it is to underdress.

Agree on the suit generally being appropriate. When in doubt, you can basically ncr go wrong with a conservative dark suit and tie.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    wandering wrote:
    I kind of maybe think it's a shame that we lost the notion that there should be a waiting period before you get on a first-name basis with someone.

I'm actually ok with this one. I'm not entirely sure why. I mean, live concerts of art music, yeah. Certain live productions of straight plays or musicals, I would say it would be a good idea.

However, a T-shirt and jeans to In the Heights? I'm ok with that.
    T-shirt and Jeans to Adding Machine or Dr. Atomic? Get out of here with that.

For something like most broadway shows, off, and off-off, I don't think dressing up is really that necessary anymore. Maybe it's because Broadway is so mainstream commercial, and off is mainstream commercial trying to be smaller and grittier, and off-off is actually smaller and grittier, I think it's more appropriate.

Khavall on
  • Options
    what about Les Miz

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Khavall wrote:
    wandering wrote:

I'm actually ok with this one. I'm not entirely sure why. I mean, live concerts of art music, yeah. Certain live productions of straight plays or musicals, I would say it would be a good idea.

However, a T-shirt and jeans to In the Heights? I'm ok with that.
    T-shirt and Jeans to Adding Machine or Dr. Atomic? Get out of here with that.

For something like most broadway shows, off, and off-off, I don't think dressing up is really that necessary anymore.

I get what you're saying, but it's still a nice night out on the town, and it would be nice if people dressed accordingly. My wife and I have actually moved to buying more high end casual wear, since it seems the be the more appropriate way to dress in many modern situations. There are $100 a plate restaurants where you look like you are trying to hard in a suit, so your best bet at looking sharp and appropriate is just nice casual clothing like expensive "dress" jeans and a nice untucked button down shirt.

I also think there is an evolving trend toward being dressed well meanin being he guy in the room in the nicest version of whatever the norm is. It's the same way that ten guys might be wearing "polo" shirts but their shirts may say very different things about them based on brand, fit and finish, etc. If I had to hypothetically dig a ditch, I'm putting on ralp lauren, not Burberry.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    Feral wrote:

Interesting. Do you know why the decline of the hat also lead to the breakdown in propriety demanding that you take your hat off indoors? I'm not just talking about baseball caps either. People have started wearing real hats again (like fedoras and news hats) but have no problem blatantly wearing them inside.

That I don't know.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    wandering wrote:
    what about Les Miz

Eh, with older stuff, maybe. But in terms of being mainstream commercial, Les Miz is like, super that. Shit, when it was made available for High schools the writer and composer just came out and were all like "We just wanted more money".

In general I'd say anything short of, say, Guettal, there's no particular need. Maybe Sondheim.

Khavall on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:

I'd more say that hats disappeared because people stopped walking everywhere and because sunglasses were invented. You used to need a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes, not so after sunglasses. Hat usage also declined steadily with the penetration of cars since you wouldn't need them while driving either.

Hats may be somewhat returning as a fashion statement but they'll never return to the ubiquity they had pre-20th century. Without them being omnipresent (or even omnipresent within a specific subculture), manners and norms regarding them won't return.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Les Miz may be super-commercial, but it is also super-great.

John Adams is good too though.

Well, Nixon in China is good. Doctor Atomic kind of makes my ears bleed although maybe it will grow on me.

wandering on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    It helps us separate ourselves from the philistines.

*tips hat*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone else a fan of Miss Manners/Judith Martin?

Miss Manners is awesome.

• Options
    zerg rush wrote:
    Feral wrote:

I'd more say that hats disappeared because people stopped walking everywhere and because sunglasses were invented. You used to need a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes, not so after sunglasses. Hat usage also declined steadily with the penetration of cars since you wouldn't need them while driving either.

Hats may be somewhat returning as a fashion statement but they'll never return to the ubiquity they had pre-20th century. Without them being omnipresent (or even omnipresent within a specific subculture), manners and norms regarding them won't return.

Well, I for one regard every man wearing a hat indoor as rude. Have the decency to hold it. When I see guys in fedora today, I think 1) he thinks he looks SO cool and (2 he doesny even know what he is wearing or why he is wearing it. My grandfather once had words with a man in a a west coast synagogue during WWII about wearing a hat, and I can see no reson why his anger would not be equally appropriate today.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Theater dress code is less what's on stage, and more where you're seeing it. Crappy low rent place with budget actors? Sure. Massive grand theater that's existed for decades? Yeah, throw some slacks on.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Khavall wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

The suits fit me fine. They're simply not designed for comfort, much like stiletto heels.

No, this is an issue you have, or you just don't know how a suit/clothes should fit. The few I've worn have all been extremely comfortable (and tailored to me).

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    zerg rush wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Well, I for one regard every man wearing a hat indoor as rude. Have the decency to hold it. When I see guys in fedora today, I think 1) he thinks he looks SO cool and (2 he doesny even know what he is wearing or why he is wearing it. My grandfather once had words with a man in a a west coast synagogue during WWII about wearing a hat, and I can see no reson why his anger would not be equally appropriate today.

Oddly enough I managed to pick up the hat indoors etiquette at some point in my life and it has never quite left me.

If for some incredibly odd reason I am wearing a hat it goes on the instant I step outside and it comes off the instant I step inside.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm definitely of the mind that it's better to be overdressed than under dressed.

And wearing a tux to a day wedding is a terrible example. That's not dressing too formally, that's wearing the complete wrong item for the occasion, and anyone even vaguely interested in dressing apropriately would know not to.

In any case, I'm totally with the OP on this one. I live in minnesota and recently had twins. I can not explain how unbelievably inapropriate and obnoxious people are when talking to my fiance and I about them. Invariably within the first five minutes we've been asked about fertility treatments, breastfeeding, and several things about the birth.

A recent trip to Nashville just emphasized this more, since it turns out people there apparently actually know how to talk to strangers. They asked questions like, "How old are your beutiful twins?", "What are there names?", and, "Boys or girls?"
    Then on the way back the very first person that asks about the babes immediately asks my fiance if they, "Ripped her in half." Lovely.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I went on a cruise recently, and we did the traditional dining option. Fairly fancy, and pretty awesome. They had basically three simple rules...no jeans, no shorts/flipflops, and a collared shirt. That was it. Cargos and a polo were fine, aside from the two formal nights (dark suit or tux required).

Yet still you got people trying to come in with graphic t-shirts on. Not even a nicer, flat-colored t-shirt tucked in, or something similarly casual but decently put-together. Nope, shorts and a Nintendo shirt, generally disheveled, like they didn't give a shit. Like, dude, dress code. And wouldn't you know it, they wouldn't seat them. Which I thought was awesome.

So yeah, I think enforcing some sort of standard of dress in certain situations is something I miss.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm definitely of the mind that it's better to be overdressed than under dressed.

And wearing a tux to a day wedding is a terrible example. That's not dressing too formally, that's wearing the complete wrong item for the occasion, and anyone even vaguely interested in dressing apropriately would know not to.

In any case, I'm totally with the OP on this one. I live in minnesota and recently had twins. I can not explain how unbelievably inapropriate and obnoxious people are when talking to my fiance and I about them. Invariably within the first five minutes we've been asked about fertility treatments, breastfeeding, and several things about the birth.

A recent trip to Nashville just emphasized this more, since it turns out people there apparently actually know how to talk to strangers. They asked questions like, "How old are your beutiful twins?", "What are there names?", and, "Boys or girls?"
    Then on the way back the very first person that asks about the babes immediately asks my fiance if they, "Ripped her in half." Lovely.

My wife was pregnant with triplets (we lost them all in the first triemester. . .) but we were already gearing up for the forced spectacle of having multiples. Truly an awful way to behave.

Somewhat unrelated, but I have had multiple people I hardly know ask me what I paid for my house at parties. Who raised these people?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Julius wrote:
    Do what I do, feel silently superior to those who don't observe etiquette.

when the guy at the next table at l'espallier is wearing jeans and no tie, i narrow my eyes at him. it's my right as a fucking member of society.

Wqdwp8l.png