As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012 - Astrology

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-xNMxrfB.jpg

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna like Q more if he keeps having a sassy pose.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    i feel for the Tale i guess, but i think one should be able to spot an overambitious project
    just sounds like too much shit from the start

doesn't sound like he was out of a job though

• Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    The story doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the game was in the early stages (ie: pre-production), why would they have been focusing on bugfixes and crashes? That's not even a thing until you have a playable build, and not something that can kill a project until well after that.

Also, what kind of crappy bug-reporting system can be filled up in a week's worth of work? Bug reports themselves don't take a lot of space unless every one includes video/picture data (which is pretty inefficient.)

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    And Cora.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My guess on the game/franchise is Godfather.

• Options
    SW15243SW15243 Registered User new member
    Tomanta wrote:

I was going to say Scarface. I guess we're on the same page.

• Options
    IllessaIllessa Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:
    The story doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the game was in the early stages (ie: pre-production), why would they have been focusing on bugfixes and crashes? That's not even a thing until you have a playable build, and not something that can kill a project until well after that.

Also, what kind of crappy bug-reporting system can be filled up in a week's worth of work? Bug reports themselves don't take a lot of space unless every one includes video/picture data (which is pretty inefficient.)

First thought that springs to mind - they were using Jira and left it running the all in-memory HSQL database it ships with that you're specifically supposed to replace with something more robust. I mean, I have experience of bug-trackers running into serious indexing issues above a certain threshold - said threshold being in the millions, which seems unlikely inside a week.

But yeah the whole 3-week timeframe makes the whole story sound reeeeeally unlikely unless they're seriously exaggerating.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:

That was my guess to - the remake a year later was probably the Blackhand edition and the management aspects I believe made it into the second game.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Godfather looks right, it has about the right metacritic score. Scarface seems a bit higher and was apparently a bit better received.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Sage_CatharsisSage_Catharsis Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The idea that this was game of the year material should have been your first clue. Unless its sci-fi or fantasy or something from far left field a company shouldnt be to ambitious to start with... Why are humans so naive?

Sorry to sound condescending. My nose is stuffed and I want a sci-fi sandbox game with lightsabers and stealth ninja armor.

Sage_Catharsis on
  • Options
    aflyingskypieaflyingskypie Registered User regular
    maybe the warriors... also sage play swtor

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Tale sounded a bit like the All Points Bulletin evolution/buildup/collapse to me.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    Tale sounded a bit like the All Points Bulletin evolution/buildup/collapse to me.

Only not based on a world famous franchise and not set in the past.

Also, APB was made in Schotland where they do not have high schools.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The story sounds like the Godfather 2 that the reviews told me about.

• Options
    Aldo wrote:
    Enc wrote:

Only not based on a world famous franchise and not set in the past.

Also, APB was made in Schotland where they do not have high schools.

Hence the "a bit" part. A lot of the same sort of high concept collapse happened there too.

I wonder how many games have that magnitude of divergence from the launch concept to the finished result.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    About 11 out of 10, Enc.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:

Thank you. I had the same thoughts reading that. Tale seems extremely embellished.

And yeah, has to be Godfather based on the descriptions.

Side note: Was the job market that tight in 2005-2006 ("but this was the leading edge of the recession and work was hard to come by")? I got my job in November 2005 without much effort at all.

• Options
    Recession started in Late 2006 for certain sectors (housing and housing retail) and was in full swing in late 2007 for everywhere else.

That seems a really early date to even be thinking about the recession. Things were still pretty decent in 05.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Sounds like Scarface to me.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Scarface kept its business system, I got the feeling the tycoon system in the story didn't make it to the end.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    JetstreamJetstream Registered User regular
    Is no one else concerned that Isaac seems to be having a bad reaction to the punch? :D

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Even in 2008 it hadn't gotten that bad yet. 2009 grads were the first to have it really miserable.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    None of these have been funny so far.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    MATPHATMATPHAT Registered User regular
    I absolutely never post on PA, but this comic is so not-funny that I felt the need to come out of hiding just to say it.
    Just my opinion.

264qb8n.jpg
  • Options
    onigameonigame Registered User new member
    The first panel has some incorrect coloring; the patch of ceiling sandwiched between balloons should be the bluish-grey of the ceiling, but here it's white.