Options

The Oscars Pool 2012 Champion is...Bogey! Again! Thrice in Four Years! Make him prizes!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    One person applauding Extremely Loud.

There were a whole lot of people applauding Extremely Loud when it at the nomination announcement ceremony.

Yeah, apparently they spent a lot of their money on something because none of the people applauding could afford to make it to the Oscars.

Yeah, I'm saying they bribed their way to a nomination.

Also, they killed a hooker and buried her in a shallow grave.

And imported fruit into Australia illegally.

I just don't understand how Tinker Tailor and Drive didn't make it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    I've seen moneyball and war horse out of these, and I love moneyball

war horse was okay

I need to see hugo, midnight in paris and the artist

Add Tree of Life to that list. Even if you end up not liking it, it'll be a very interesting experience.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    When was the last time we were really surprised by a Best Picture win?

I remember a bunch of people being surprised by Hurt Locker

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2012
    Meryl Streep. Bret McKenzie. Christopher Plummer. All deserved winners. Best Oscars ever.

I don't know what I'm happier for in terms of awesome people winning Oscars who I never expected to see on that stage, between Bret McKenzie or Trent Reznor.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Yep, it's the Artist.

Suck all the dicks, Academy.

not entirely sure why you're upset at this?

Not so much upset as annoyed that the judging committee has its head stuck so thoroughly up its own ass.

Stop. You're doing it again. You don't get to be the final authority on Art.

@Kochikens Let me try this again; is that really what it seems like I'm doing?

Because I'm not trying to judgeTthe Artist, my problem is with the Academy right now, not the movies they're giving the awards to.

(Also, if you could tell me you don't think I'm a stupid ass, I'd appreciate it, because I'm freaking out a little bit right now.)

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah, that was what I was thinking.

Last HUGE surprise for me was Crash and that was the worst kind of surprise.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    holy crap, I got second place?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Someone always makes the "Thanks to my kids, you should be in bed now" joke.

DAD JOKES

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Lopez and diaz showing off their asses best moment of oscars 2012

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    RMED just let go of this notion that your opinions on art are somehow objective measurments of their worth and you'll be okay. You not liking something doesn't make it shit.

This especially goes for things you haven't actually seen.

@Fearghaill That's honestly not what I'm trying to do, and it's not what I'm trying to say.

My entire problem with the Artist is that it feels like it's getting so much acclaim due to the Academy's own biases.

I have absolutely nothing to say as to its quality or whatever, and I honestly resent you trying to make it sound like that I'm trying to judge art based on my own assessments of its worth.

you're right, the academy chose the safe choice of "silent movie from france"

Did I say another dumb thing?

Because I can't tell whether or not that's a burn on me for saying another dumb thing.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    That was pretty great.

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    holy crap, I got second place?

I say we just bump you up to first so that Bogey doesn't win again.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yay Artist!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Damn it, I really wanted to win those drawings! D:

Congrats to Bogey (who obviously cheated with mind reading powers and bribes to the academy).

• Options
    Lots of years it's between two movies, but there's usually not some come from behind victory. The way the Oscars are built doesn't really allow for many surprises. The Academy is pretty dang predictable, and most people have seen all the contenders. It's not particularly difficult to cross reference and come up with a winning ratio.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Bogey gets disqualified for not turning in his entry before the deadline.

• Options
    edited February 2012

I was surprised only because the absolute best movie of that year won and that doesnt always happen

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    RMED just let go of this notion that your opinions on art are somehow objective measurments of their worth and you'll be okay. You not liking something doesn't make it shit.

@Fearghaill That's honestly not what I'm trying to do, and it's not what I'm trying to say.

My entire problem with the Artist is that it feels like it's getting so much acclaim due to the Academy's own biases.

I have absolutely nothing to say as to its quality or whatever, and I honestly resent you trying to make it sound like that I'm trying to judge art based on my own assessments of its worth, because I'm not that much of an asshole, and I don't like the fact that you're alleging I am.

Sorry dude, was kinda conflating this and the webcomics grumbling.

but it's still kind of silly to complain about the Academy's reasons for picking a movie when you haven't seen it. At that point you're not just accusing the Academy of bias (or as I like to call it, having their own opinions), you're also making assumptions about the content of the movie based on I'm guessing the trailer and/or written descriptions of it?

Also at 97% on rottentomatoes, it's getting acclaim from a lot more than the Academy.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    By saying you're judging the Academy for picking The Artist, you are judging The Artist. So just shoosh and enjoy movies

• Options
    Yep, it's the Artist.

Not so much upset as annoyed that the judging committee has its head stuck so thoroughly up its own ass.

Because I'm not trying to judgeTthe Artist, my problem is with the Academy right now, not the movies they're giving the awards to.

(Also, if you could tell me you don't think I'm a stupid ass, I'd appreciate it, because I'm freaking out a little bit right now.)

Well, I mean, you're half right.

The Artist is a fantastic movie and completely deserves to win. But, honestly, you could say that about most of the nominees.

If you thought for a second that The Artist wasn't going to be the winner, though, based on who chooses the winners, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    RMED you're not a stupid ass. but you're stubborn about your opinions and fairly reluctant to consider they may be faulty. Like, you apologize for being stupid but when you then continue to ignore arguments to the contrary it seems more like an attempt at deflection.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I mean it's not like last year when the obviously inferior, safe and dull pick the king's speech won over the modern, hip and excellent social network because britain and royalty

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean it's not like last year when the obviously inferior, safe and dull pick the king's speech won over the modern, hip and excellent social network because britain and royalty

king's speech was also a better film

that helped

• Options

I have absolutely nothing to say as to its quality or whatever, and I honestly resent you trying to make it sound like that I'm trying to judge art based on my own assessments of its worth, because I'm not that much of an asshole, and I don't like the fact that you're alleging I am.

but it's still kind of silly to complain about the Academy's reasons for picking a movie when you haven't seen it. At that point you're not just accusing the Academy of bias (or as I like to call it, having their own opinions), you're also making assumptions about the content of the movie based on I'm guessing the trailer and/or written descriptions of it?

Also at 97% on rottentomatoes, it's getting acclaim from a lot more than the Academy.

Alright, I'll admit that maybe the bias grumbling isn't entirely fair.

But still, considering how many people/films got snubbed this year (Muppets, Drive, etcetera), I think it's fair to say that the Academy doesn't always have it's head on straight.

Although maybe I'm just trying to save face.

Fuck, I'm getting really sick of shit like this happening.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

!!!!

glare
    Glower
    Scowl

• Options
    :rotate:

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Goose! wrote: »
    I am gonna check this tonight/tomorrow, but I feel comfortable saying these are fairly accurate (but still unofficial)

mBC8N.png

Doublechecking with my scorecard, looks about right.

Gfh1G.png

Now the waiting to see if I lost at the work pool too.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Congratulations to @Centipede Damascus

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    well...

at least Gary Oldman finally has a nomination

for fucks sake

• Options
    :rotate:

arm punch

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

king's speech was also a better film

that helped

Harvey Weinstein

that helped

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Harvey Weinstein is on a 2 year streak

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    dude it's good to have opinions, and this shouldn't be interpreted as "I must fall in with popular opinion so people don't yell at me".

But it's also not a good idea to get really worked up about opinions that are that weakly supported. Defend your opinions but make sure they're moderately defensible first.

• Options
    RMED you're not a stupid ass. but you're stubborn about your opinions and fairly reluctant to consider they may be faulty. Like, you apologize for being stupid but when you then continue to ignore arguments to the contrary it seems more like an attempt at deflection.

Do I do that?

I mean, I'd say I'm usually pretty quick to listen to people's arguments and admit when my opinions might not be entirely well-informed, but I dunno.

And trust me, when I say stuff like that, it's not an attempt at deflection, so much as an attempt to make it clear that I realize I mgiht not have thought things out all the way.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    The King's Speech was not dull or stale. It was amazing, and better than The Social Network. TSN could have been a really sharply edged indictment of social networking, but it pussied out at the end. The King's Speech was a pitch perfect rendition of what it feels like to be a stammerer, for that alone it deserved the win.

• Options
    By saying you're judging the Academy for picking The Artist, you are judging The Artist. So just shoosh and enjoy movies

Fair enough.
    Yep, it's the Artist.

Well, I mean, you're half right.

The Artist is a fantastic movie and completely deserves to win. But, honestly, you could say that about most of the nominees.

If you thought for a second that The Artist wasn't going to be the winner, though, based on who chooses the winners, then I don't know what to tell you.

Youthful ignorance, willful stupidity, etcetera and so forth.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    The Social Network was an okay movie

Nothing amazing, but not bad

• Options
    edited February 2012

Do I do that?

I mean, I'd say I'm usually pretty quick to listen to people's arguments and admit when my opinions might not be entirely well-informed, but I dunno.

And trust me, when I say stuff like that, it's not an attempt at deflection, so much as an attempt to make it clear that I realize I mgiht not have thought things out all the way.

between this and and the webcomics/OotS deal you were faster to call yourself a stupid ass than you were to give much sign of considering an opposing viewpoint.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    look if you want to complain complain about shakespeare in love over saving private ryan or a beautiful mind over fellowship of the ring and chicago over two towers

• Options

Alright, I'll admit that maybe the bias grumbling isn't entirely fair.

But still, considering how many people/films got snubbed this year (Muppets, Drive, etcetera), I think it's fair to say that the Academy doesn't always have it's head on straight.

Although maybe I'm just trying to save face.

Fuck, I'm getting really sick of shit like this happening.

There are very specific tastes and prefences being represented at the Academy Awards. This is very important to note when you're making the claim that they "don't know what they're talking about."

I'd say they have their heads screwed on perfectly, because they seem to be calculating their favorites very accurately. This is the 84th time we've gone through this, more than enough to make their opinions clear.

Do I do that?

Yeah, you do this. Often. You admit when you're wrong, sure, but you rarely heed it. If I can throw out a weird parental buzz-phrase "you hear, but you don't listen."