As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [State of the Union] is... strong! (Milk is no longer oil!)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    But seriously, when Mitch Daniels went "Thanks for getting married and not being divorced black President" was that a dog whistle?
    It's not a dog whistle when everyone can put one and one together and come up with "Hey, you're not gay, so it could be worse."

You missed the dog whistle, so it worked. That was BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK all the way.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    But seriously, when Mitch Daniels went "Thanks for getting married and not being divorced black President" was that a dog whistle?
    It's not a dog whistle when everyone can put one and one together and come up with "Hey, you're not gay, so it could be worse."
    You missed the dog whistle, so it worked. That was BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK all the way.
    I personally would add to that list admiration for the strong family commitment that he and the first lady have displayed to a nation sorely needing such examples.
    Seems like a dig at non-"traditional" families, but I can see taking it as BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK.

It was a dig a Newt.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Kana wrote:
    That was a fucking bizarre speech

Even more bizarre and surreal, is watching the fox news pundits sit around the table looking defeated while they try to talk up Daniel's speech. You can see it in their eyes, they know exactly how shit that was.

To be fair, it was probably the best response speech to date.

That's really not a high bar to vault over.

Seriously. I just watched a pale, gaunt man stumble through jumbled mess of talking points. I half expected the camera to pan around to an empty funeral parlor at the end.

"Paid for by CORPSE EMPEROR 2012"

• Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    South host wrote:
    I'm watching Hannity interview Romney Bout the speech. I want to headbutt my tv.

Now Hannity won't stop saying "Obama debt" every chance he gets. Why do I keep watching this?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    South host wrote:
    South host wrote:
    I'm watching Hannity interview Romney Bout the speech. I want to headbutt my tv.

Now Hannity won't stop saying "Obama debt" every chance he gets. Why do I keep watching this?

Evidence would suggest you're dancing the masochism tango.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Kana wrote:

Even more bizarre and surreal, is watching the fox news pundits sit around the table looking defeated while they try to talk up Daniel's speech. You can see it in their eyes, they know exactly how shit that was.

Seriously. I just watched a pale, gaunt man stumble through jumbled mess of talking points. I half expected the camera to pan around to an empty funeral parlor at the end.

What makes this hilarious is that the post after this one is sporting a Ciaphas Cain avatar.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    mindspork wrote:
    "I've actually run things!"

And the President is what, sitting in the oval office masturbating?

shit, I would

Real presidents get interns to go under the desk.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    I want Obama to namedrop Romney so badly...

"I look forward to debating the issues with Mr. Romney later this year."

Republicans immediately band together behind Gingrich.

That would be hysterical. But to be honest, I wouldn't like it if Obama spent much time on the GOP primary. Just leave it alone, let them eat each other alive of their own accord.
    Can they do this? I mean obviously POTUS can do whatever he wants, but you know what I mean, political fallout and such. Did Bush talk crap about Kerry or Clinton about Dole during their State of the Union?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    I want Obama to namedrop Romney so badly...

"I look forward to debating the issues with Mr. Romney later this year."

Republicans immediately band together behind Gingrich.

That would be hysterical. But to be honest, I wouldn't like it if Obama spent much time on the GOP primary. Just leave it alone, let them eat each other alive of their own accord.
    Can they do this? I mean obviously POTUS can do whatever he wants, but you know what I mean, political fallout and such. Did Bush talk crap about Kerry or Clinton about Dole during their State of the Union?

No, I don't recall any president name dropping politicians during the SOTU. It'd be super bad form, and like I said, even if a president I like did it all I'd have is a sour taste in my mouth.

Now, dodging around name-dropping by specifically addressing really specific details of individuals... that's a different story.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Missed the whole thing but thank you to all that posted in this thread, I doubt the speech was half as great as what I enjoyed reading here. :D

My jaded 30 year old heart says that all the great things said tonight will fall on deaf ears connected to lips that spent much of the day trashing the speech before it was even given.

So... good luck with that. D:

• Options
    The White House channel on YouTube has the whole thing up now.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Missed this earlier, watching it (well, listening to it) now. 20 minutes in, and I have to say that I really, really do not understand everyone's fucking fascination with subsidizing the shit out of manufacturing to get them to build stuff here rather than overseas.

It isn't going to happen. It's never going to happen unless the government subsidizes wages down to an actual cost of $2/hr for line workers including benefits and pays for their environmental costs. Those jobs will be done either by robots or Cambodian political prisoners; they will not be done by Dude With High School Degree. Those jobs are never coming back. Figure something else out.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Missed this earlier, watching it (well, listening to it) now. 20 minutes in, and I have to say that I really, really do not understand everyone's fucking fascination with subsidizing the shit out of manufacturing to get them to build stuff here rather than overseas.

It isn't going to happen. It's never going to happen unless the government subsidizes wages down to an actual cost of $2/hr for line workers including benefits and pays for their environmental costs. Those jobs will be done either by robots or Cambodian political prisoners; they will not be done by Dude With High School Degree. Those jobs are never coming back. Figure something else out.

Wisconsin: 10 electoral votes
    Illinois: 20 electoral votes
    Indiana: 11 electoral votes
    Michigan: 16 electoral votes
    Ohio: 18 electoral votes
    Pennsylvania: 20 electoral votes

That's a third of what you need to win, add in your free wins of New York and California and you only need 91 more. DC + MA + CT + RI + VT + WA + OR + NJ + MD = 68 more. So at that point you need say, Minnesota and Virginia.

EDIT: Obviously, Indiana is still tough, but Nevada, Maine, Colorado, Iowa still available.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I know what I look for in leadership is someone who offers false hope and poor policy to secure a reelection bid

• Options
    I know what I look for in leadership is someone who offers false hope and poor policy to secure a reelection bid

Also, to be fair, the auto companies are doing really well and manufacturing jobs ARE coming back here. But it was mostly pandering.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    So It Goes wrote:
    MILK

ITS NOT OIL

Thanks, Obama

• Options
    Is there anything worth watching in the last twenty minutes of this

Kinda want to go to bed and nothing unexpected has been said yet

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's not necessarily never coming back. Look at the auto industry. Or like, Germany.

Shit, just look at something like Apple and see how much of their costs are related to chinese manufacturing. It's not actually that much.

The issue is it is still cheaper in China and they are building and maintaining the surrounding infrastructure to sustain that manufacturing base. (although they are still losing some of it)

• Options
    Is there anything worth watching in the last twenty minutes of this

Kinda want to go to bed and nothing unexpected has been said yet

Um, calls for the filibuster to die a well deserved death, makes an analogy about teamwork as a cure to cynicism (it's a very Obama moment), etc.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular

people fetishize manufacturing like crazy. I guess because it's something that's really easy to understand (make stuff, sell it, profit) and it's associated with Americans post-WW2 golden age.

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    Also because industrial manufacturing capacity is associated with war-readiness.

• Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Those jobs coming back is easy. Thats a trade policy issue. You tax whatever it is coming in to give the advantage to American workers, and the jobs are back. They are still free to to produce overseas all the want, but you dont get access to the American consumer without paying the price of entry. It worked well from the founding of the country until the 80s and 90s.

But anyway, the phrase the State of our Union is strong gives me the willies. It reminds me of McCain's, "The fundamentals of our economy are strong" that we ended up hanging him for after the crash.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:

people fetishize manufacturing like crazy. I guess because it's something that's really easy to understand (make stuff, sell it, profit) and it's associated with Americans post-WW2 golden age.

We did the same wanking over agriculture a hundred years ago, hell we've still got a bunch of dumbass subsidies on farming. We pay a bunch of people in the midwest to not grow food because it would drive costs down. Thanks, Monsanto!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Wisconsin: 10 electoral votes
    Illinois: 20 electoral votes
    Indiana: 11 electoral votes
    Michigan: 16 electoral votes
    Ohio: 18 electoral votes
    Pennsylvania: 20 electoral votes

That's a third of what you need to win, add in your free wins of New York and California and you only need 91 more. DC + MA + CT + RI + VT + WA + OR + NJ + MD = 68 more. So at that point you need say, Minnesota and Virginia.

EDIT: Obviously, Indiana is still tough, but Nevada, Maine, Colorado, Iowa still available.

You forgot about Florida.

29 sweet sweet swing votes.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    I try to ignore Florida. It makes me happier.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I don't know how much Obama is expecting to get through Congress, I suspect that he knows it will be a miracle for the GOP to be productive because they rather let the country burn than make it possible for Obama to get re-elected.

Seems like he took a few popular things with the GOP, a few popular things with swings voters and a little does of reality (let's be honest we've done a shit job in investing in this country's future - still amazed someone hasn't done a study to show how much money would be lost if our infrastructure just got swallowed by the earth). Then told Congress to give him bills to sign and emphasizing how they would generate jobs, knowing full well that the GOP would just oppose everything out of spite and they're on record for saying they intend to prevent his re-election. I'd say he's done a good job fucking them over because now if nothing gets done, they have to own up to it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Basically they either follow through with what he asked and he claims victory or the, more likely, continue to stall and he gets to continue painting them as do-nothings.

All the State of the Union is really good for is building a narrative. He built one of good, pretty progressive policy ideas. (more taxes for the wealthy, more jobs, etc) and tied it all up by making it about Congress doing it. He gets the people on board with these agendas. And when the GOP doesn't do this, they take the blame.

And all without taking a ton of attention from the GOP primary. Which is why, imo, why he avoided anything truly earthshattering. Just keep building the narrative and highlight some things like Romney's wealth and low taxes to throw some fuel on the fire under the table.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well we can at least say that the stuff he's having the Military do will get done, right?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Pi-r8 wrote:

We did the same wanking over agriculture a hundred years ago, hell we've still got a bunch of dumbass subsidies on farming. We pay a bunch of people in the midwest to not grow food because it would drive costs down. Thanks, Monsanto!

My moron unclue who loves Libaugh claims more war would make the economy better. I wanna slap him but I always watch the Donald Duck propaganda movie and be fascinated, because it sits there and educates Americans on the purpose of taxes. How nice would it be if we could unite and educate the American public on uniting and paying taxes for curing diseases and building infrastructure. But no, it absolutely has to be about war.

Let's make a cartoon about going to war with poverty.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

My moron unclue who loves Libaugh claims more war would make the economy better. I wanna slap him but I always watch the Donald Duck propaganda movie and be fascinated, because it sits there and educates Americans on the purpose of taxes. How nice would it be if we could unite and educate the American public on uniting and paying taxes for curing diseases and building infrastructure. But no, it absolutely has to be about war.

Ya know, I am positive that if we didn't already have the Interstate system, that there is no chance it would get passed in this political climate. Zero, nada, zip.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Ya know, I am positive that if we didn't already have the Interstate system, that there is no chance it would get passed in this political climate. Zero, nada, zip.

Let's leave it up to the states to decide.

We're having trouble maintaining the interstate system even though it is pretty essential to all of us. Ugh.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    I personally would add to that list admiration for the strong family commitment that he and the first lady have displayed to a nation sorely needing such examples.
    Seems like a dig at non-"traditional" families, but I can see taking it as BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK.

It was a dig a Newt.

I'm torn between it being NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT NEWT or GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Pi-r8 wrote:

To be fair, more war would help the economy. There are just many, many, many better options. Many.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, that goes without saying. Do we dress up infrastructure with the same urgency as fighting Nazis?

I want a debate question for the general to be "Which is more precious? Oil or water?"

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Pi-r8 wrote:

To be fair, more war would help the economy. There are just many, many, many better options. Many.

You know, that's the conventional wisdom but I'm not convinced it's true anymore.

WW2 helped the economy because we started building and selling weapons and equipment. Our military is fucking huge, regardless of what Mitt Romney's dumbass thinks. Our Navy alone is bigger than the next, what 13 other navies? We've already got the manpower, weapons systems, and equipment necessary for a big ass war. I don't know how much more spending there'd be.

I mean, if we went to war with like, Russia or Europe or something maybe. But the only war we'll be starting anytime soon is in Iran or Syria or both. That's not going to do much for the economy. Look at Afghanistan and Iraq, those wars didn't help the economy at all. The opposite in fact.

Does help military contractors though.

TL;DR: We've already got a massive military and no one will be buying up a military from us. WW2 was almost 70 years ago, it's time to stop pretending things are like that still.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Yeah, that goes without saying. Do we dress up infrastructure with the same urgency as fighting Nazis?

I want a debate question for the general to be "Which is more precious? Oil or water?"

Trick question, the answer is milk.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Pi-r8 wrote:

You know, that's the conventional wisdom but I'm not convinced it's true anymore.

WW2 helped the economy because we started building and selling weapons and equipment. Our military is fucking huge, regardless of what Mitt Romney's dumbass thinks. Our Navy alone is bigger than the next, what 13 other navies? We've already got the manpower, weapons systems, and equipment necessary for a big ass war. I don't know how much more spending there'd be.

I mean, if we went to war with like, Russia or Europe or something maybe. But the only war we'll be starting anytime soon is in Iran or Syria or both. That's not going to do much for the economy. Look at Afghanistan and Iraq, those wars didn't help the economy at all. The opposite in fact.

Does help military contractors though.

TL;DR: We've already got a massive military and no one will be buying up a military from us. WW2 was almost 70 years ago, it's time to stop pretending things are like that still.

I'm talking about a real war, not an Iraq.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Dark_Side wrote:
    Kana wrote:

ah zynga, what won't you do?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Those jobs coming back is easy. Thats a trade policy issue. You tax whatever it is coming in to give the advantage to American workers, and the jobs are back. They are still free to to produce overseas all the want, but you dont get access to the American consumer without paying the price of entry. It worked well from the founding of the country until the 80s and 90s.

But anyway, the phrase the State of our Union is strong gives me the willies. It reminds me of McCain's, "The fundamentals of our economy are strong" that we ended up hanging him for after the crash.

Just wanted to point out, tariffs violate like, a bajillion trade treaties we're in.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

Trick question, the answer is milk.

Only for a milk-drinker. Real men drink nordic Black Briar honey mead!