As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I honestly kind of prefer to play through without the overpowered DLC weapons, at least the first time or two

also that video is a perfect demonstration of why 'walker' tanks are a bad idea

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Is there going to be any background specific missions in ME3? I Remember Me was my favourite sidequest in 1, but I don't think there was any in ME2.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Elendil wrote:
    70630472.jpg

look at that tiny bar

Am I going crazy or does that description under the weight bar actually say "Power Recharge Speed: -80%"?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yes, weight affects cooldown

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i thought there wasnt any cooldowns anymore?

• Options
    there are definitely still cooldowns

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So maybe I'm just imagining things, but it is looking an awful lot like the links for getting your Bring Down the Sky CD key on the download page no longer work, and the bioware social network stuff doesn't even acknowledge that the first ME exists, so I'm unlikely to find it there.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not any cooldowns? What? How would you even do that?

The weight system gives you a sliding scale for your cooldowns based on your weaponry. Soldier class talent can increase capacity a lot, so they're supposed to be the only ones capable of carrying everything without real penalty, although it was suggested that carrying the Rev/Widow/Krogun combo would still take a hit. For adepts and other power-focused classes, this means you can go real light with a pistol or SMG in exchange for much faster cooldowns. I wouldn't take any of the loadouts/weight readouts in these screens to mean much, but here's a pic with a recharge bonus:

mass-effect-3-weapons-loadout.jpg
    Blurbl wrote:
    Is there going to be any background specific missions in ME3? I Remember Me was my favourite sidequest in 1, but I don't think there was any in ME2.

They mentioned awhile back wanting to do more with backgrounds again, so we'll see.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    a vanguard with space revolver alone will probably have like a .8 second charge cooldown

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Vanguards should get a faster charge cooldown for only equipping shotguns.

Lots of shotguns.

• Options
    i thought there wasnt any cooldowns anymore?

Sorry, I was aware of that fact I just can't see the number itself clearly. I mean, even if all the cooldown bonuses are multiplicative instead of stacking - that are some extremely short cooldowns. As in an earlier post, most (all?) powers get a cooldown reduction version of about 20%. So as per multiplicative formula: 6.5 seconds * 0.2 (weight bonus) * 0.8 (Power improvement bonus) = 1.04
    I think I've got that time from Overload, but if I'm not mistaken it's about the same for similar powers like Overload, Incinirate or Freeze Blast. That means you can spam powers non-stop. Take the combat drone from Mass Effect 2 for a reference: It has a cooldown of 3 seconds. With all upgrades and armor bonuses you'll get it down to a little over 1.5 seconds and that feels like an almost instant recharge.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So the last time I really put time into ME2 was close to launch

I picked up the PS3 version yesterday as a refresher before ME3 and because I'd heard the PS3 version ran pretty smoothly

Since January 2010, I have started and completed the entire series of Chuck. So when I started up a new game yesterday at my friend's place, we were all marveling at the fact that Sarah Walker is Miranda. It just kinda blew my mind a little.

I was willing to chalk it up to coincidence until I saw the teeth.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I would think the better armours also have a cooldown penalty

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Until we've got the game in our hot little hands it isn't too useful to speculate on the actual values of the cooldowns.

Of course, speculation is fun.

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Based solely on the weapons I know about, I'm thinking my soldier will roll with the Argus rifle, the shotgun revolver, a sniper rifle, and a heavy weapon. Of course, once the game is in my hands I'll probably decide on a totally different load-out

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Ad astra wrote:
    Based solely on the weapons I know about, I'm thinking my soldier will roll with the Argus rifle, the shotgun revolver, a sniper rifle, and a heavy weapon. Of course, once the game is in my hands I'll probably decide on a totally different load-out

Side question: Do we know if the leaked/spoiled weapon list is the full list or just a part of it?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Considering how many weapons there are, I'd say it's complete.

Don't forget modding is probably going to greatly change the look/effects of these weapons.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    So maybe I'm just imagining things, but it is looking an awful lot like the links for getting your Bring Down the Sky CD key on the download page no longer work, and the bioware social network stuff doesn't even acknowledge that the first ME exists, so I'm unlikely to find it there.

yeah i noticed this too, it just links back to the original site. only way i managed to get bring down the sky to install legally was using a cd key someone gave me on these forums way back when he gave up his retail copy for a steam version, had to hunt through my pm's to find it.

i remember hearing the steam version was suppose to have the dlc on install but thats a downright lie.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    just bring back garrus and his magical rocket launcher sniper rifle

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Ok, just went ahead and preordered from Amazon. Thanks for letting me know they don't charge until they ship. I also like it how the release date delivery is cheaper than the standard shipping rate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    I don't even plan my playthroughs

I just know I have such a volume of them that all my bases must be covered

My only plan for the canon run was to get a female face I was really happy with. Other than that, I've just been making decisions as I like, which naturally results in Shepard being a fucking badass.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Since it's free DLC for PC, I don't know why they never made it easier to grab. I haven't done this since I never uninstalled ME1 for this reason amongst others, but someone on the BSN forums mentions a fix:
    Ladies and Gentlemen, finally a solution. Apparently there is a modified BDtS DLC with an universal serial code. I suppose it is universal, because no one at the EA Support asked me about my original activation code for Mass Effect 1 and I know the original DLC was code-bound to the main game. Here is the download link (files.bioware.com/masseffect/dlc/MassEffect_BDtS_ES_a.exe) for the modified installer and here is the activation code: Code - 3FLL-43UU-JTN8-W8EX-25J3 . If you recieve a message for Error (6000), tune down or turn off your firewall before installing the DLC. Have fun!

A few following posts mention it not working because of max activations, and someone else asking an EA rep about it and their increasing the activation limit, and then it working again for others. SO, you could try that, and/or if that doesn't work just ask EA support about it and they'll sort it out.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    well i did it

i finally did it

i charged and claymored the geth colossus to death on insanity

today i am truly a man

well done

i've never had a chance to do this because i'm usually all done with recruitments before the collector ship

still this deserves notice and accolades aplenty

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote:
    Ok, just went ahead and preordered from Amazon. Thanks for letting me know they don't charge until they ship. I also like it how the release date delivery is cheaper than the standard shipping rate.

Release date shipping pretty much is standard shipping they just do it like 4-5 days before the game is scheduled for release.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    A couple of good beta footage videos on nickelithium's channel on Youtube.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I shouldn't have, but I did.
    Oh, dear god, the intro is awesome. Unsubtle, but awesome. The last three or four minutes mash and hold their thumbs down on practically every emotional button in the series.

Is it just me or does Sheploo look like someone killed his puppy when Anderson says he's not going?[/quote]

htm on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    htm wrote:

I shouldn't have, but I did.
    Oh, dear god, the intro is awesome. Unsubtle, but awesome. The last three or four minutes mash and hold their thumbs down on practically every emotional button in the series.

Is it just me or does Sheploo look like someone killed his puppy when Anderson says he's not going?
    Yup. It's a lot like the Paragon interrupt when you're at the merc recruitment station on Omega.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    One thing I really like about that footage from the leaked beta is it suggests more little interactions and recognitions, like when
    Wrex jokes around with Liara and Garrus, or when those two and Kirrahe acknowledge each other.

Also that the bypass minigame looks so, so much less annoying now. You don't even go into a different screen, appears to just be timed input based on the door symbol.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I liked how sometimes Shepard seamlessly transitioned from combat to cutscene

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, if this was just a third person shooter it would have been one of the finest third person shooters I've ever seen. That this has an added layer of delicious RPG mechanics and dialog wheel trees on top of that is just amazing. It's just amazing to me to think of how ME1s combat was and simply how bad it was, compared to what I am seeing in Mass Effect 3.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    ME1's combat wasn't terrible on normal. It was just average. It seems terrible because of the quantum leap in gameplay. Like comparing AC1 (which is also NOT a terrible game) to AC2.

• Options
    AC1 isn't a terrible game, but it's incredibly repetitive and unlike ME (which I could theoretically play again) it's just not got anything going for it on a replay. I should know, because having lost all my save file data for all my games (hard drive failure sigh), I will happily play AC2/Brotherhood again if required, but you can bet your ass I will not go anywhere near AC ever again*. But ME does not have good "combat" by any definition. It becomes passable enough once you can power spam to your hearts content, but the actual shooting and general mechanics just suck terribly. Combat in ME is a chore you go through to get to the actually good parts of the game: Something ME2 changed for the better. Just compare playing a Vanguard in ME to ME2, you don't have to ask me what I think is more fun.

*So pissed off about the achievement for talking to Lucy in that game. I missed it by one incredibly random conversation that it didn't even let me initiate for some reason. Grr.

• Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Do we know if ME3 has vehicle sections like the Mako and Hammerhead?

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Blurbl wrote:
    Do we know if ME3 has vehicle sections like the Mako and Hammerhead?
    We know you steal and pilot a giant Cerberus mech at one point.

Nothing about a dedicated vehicle section though.

• Options
    There are now turret sections, the classic hoary chestnut of shooters since their inception just about. I don't know about other vehicle sections, but if they do something I just want it done right and made fun. EG: Not the Mako or Hammerhead.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I like how Shepard's plan is "We fight".

Guess the planning comes second.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote:

Intro spoilers
    Did Anderson say "Major Alenko" after seeing Ashley? Maybe it's just the Alpha.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Thank you to the classy gents that helped with getting BDtS working. I see they never fixed Garrus being infected with lo-res textures.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Two more loyalty missions to do: Mordin's and Legion's. I hadn't intended the last two to be the two I was afraid to commit to, but I guess that's how it worked out.

Maybe I'll make an extra save file after the IFF, just in case.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    finnith wrote:

An early dialogue choice responds to "Do we fight?" with "Fight" or "Give Up." If you choose the latter, it cuts to a scene twenty years later with Zaeed sitting in the ruins of Alliance HQ, polishing Jessie while a ruined set of N7 armor is just visible in the shadows. A variety of husk corpses litter the floor, and the world through the giant, glassless bay windows is eerily still. Suddenly! footsteps! Zaeed sighs wearily and stands, aiming at the doorway, when...
    a human girl appears! Cue Inception horn and teaser screen of the alternate universe sequel:
    jTu0c.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png